• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Risen

This isn't what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about people who quit playing because they have a series of games where they are carrying their team, points-wise, but are still losing. They think, "what's the point of playing?"

Occasionally, this gets to me, too, but usually I'm perfectly fine trying to do my OWN best - even if my team loses. I'm okay going way the hell negative if my carrying of the objective serves a purpose. I'm okay with my team losing if I've played at my own capacity. I'm okay getting destroyed if my team is joking about it, or if I manage a double-kill against guys who are clearly way out of my league, or if I've picked a meta-goal I can work on until the game's over. I'm not saying I enjoy EVERY game I play - I doubt there's anyone who can say this. I'm saying I enjoy MOST of them, for a variety of reasons - and this is something competitive players don't say very often. (Just read GAF if you don't believe me. ;) )

I've been really impressed with u4ixx's stuff - and part of why is BECAUSE he goes out of his way not to disparage people who think differently than he does. Spend 5 minutes in the MLG forums, and you realize that he's an outlier. I think what you guys are doing is fantastic - but you are NOT representative of the competitive community. :)

I'm not sure I understand - you want to be able to turn off your own aim assist... but you don't mind if I leave mine on?

What is your personal definition of competitive? Of casual? Most of the debate is from exactly what you touch on in other posts... there is a broad spectrum of competitive and casual and everyone has a fairly different view of what each looks like.

I'm hyper-competitive... be it darts, golf, pool, basketball, racing cars... I love competition and always have. I strive to win in any game, be it video or otherwise. Yet I don't mind losing. Sure I don't want to, and it may irritate me, but some of the most fun I've had playing Halo (or other games) has come during a loss.

One of the definitions of competitive is: having a strong desire to compete or to succeed.

This even fits many of those that some players term "casuals". People would not be playing versus multi-player if there was zero desire on some level to compete. If you fit the above definition, then you are a competitive player. How that desire to compete is expressed, or how one reacts to relative success is a mark of maturity, not level of competitiveness.

It seems you shoe horn the competitive community in a certain little box of d-baggery.

When you say things like u4ix and others like him aren't representative of the competitive community, I completely disagree. They are just as representative of the competitive community as the numbers of 15 yr old dbags on the MLG forums. They just aren't representing that 15yr old dbag viewpoint, with too quick a mouth, and too little wisdom.

Just as I would be representative of the competitive community... just not the one you describe. I have an entire friends list full of people who do not fit the vision you cast for competitive players, yet are definitely very competitive players, and as a result are representative of that community. In fact - most of them are closer to how you look at the game given your definition above.

feel

Rehearsal over. Local seismic survey folks alerted. Seriously. Back at hotel. Riding bike in gym. Listening to soundtrack. Feels good man. Hopefully human catpoops will happen. More rehearsal to come.
Aren't catpoops the result of hard laughter? Will we be laughing at your conference presentation? Not sure if laughter is what we're looking for here.

Good luck to you or whoever is going on stage live.

Don't know if this has been covered, but have you folks at 343 dealt with the map voting issue of ties being settled by whatever choice is on top?

I don't know if it's a weird coincidence or not, but it seems that every time there's a tie (in Reach), it just picks the one on top. Seems silly.

789shadow

Banned
Don't know if this has been covered, but have you folks at 343 dealt with the map voting issue of ties being settled by whatever choice is on top?

I don't know if it's a weird coincidence or not, but it seems that every time there's a tie (in Reach), it just picks the one on top. Seems silly.
Holy shit, you're right. Must be a conspiracy.

It's built that way. Top always wins in case of a tie. That's why you 'topvote' against the other team if you want to screw with their choice.

Das Kalk

Neo Member
I remember being told that we won't see any other humans in Halo 4 so the focus will be on the Chief and Cortana. Lol.

I don't remember being told that there wouldn't be other people in the game. I DO remember being told that Cortana and the Chief are the principal characters, and most of the focus is on them, but I don't remember anyone saying that they were the only humans in the game...

Louis Wu

What is your personal definition of competitive? Of casual? Most of the debate is from exactly what you touch on in other posts... there is a broad spectrum of competitive and casual and everyone has a fairly different view of what each looks like.

I'm hyper-competitive... be it darts, golf, pool, basketball, racing cars... I love competition and always have. I strive to win in any game, be it video or otherwise. Yet I don't mind losing. Sure I don't want to, and it may irritate me, but some of the most fun I've had playing Halo (or other games) has come during a loss.

One of the definitions of competitive is: having a strong desire to compete or to succeed.

This even fits many of those that some players term "casuals". People would not be playing versus multi-player if there was zero desire on some level to compete. If you fit the above definition, then you are a competitive player. How that desire to compete, or how one reacts to relative success is a mark of maturity, not level of competitiveness.

It seems you shoe horn the competitive community in a certain little box of d-baggery.

When you say things like u4ix and others like him aren't representative of the competitive community, I completely disagree. They are just as representative of the competitive community as the numbers of 15 yr old dbags on the MLG forums. They just aren't representing that 15yr old dbag viewpoint, with too quick a mouth, and too little wisdom.

Just as I would be representative of the competitive community... just not the one you describe. I have an entire friends list full of people who do not fit the vision you cast for competitive players, yet are definitely very competitive players, and as a result are representative of that community. In fact - most of them are closer to how you look at the game given your definition above.
Fair enough. I'm as guilty of generalizing as those I was complaining about. I guess I'm talking specifically about the crowd here that wants BR starts in every game, that thinks all non-Flag, non-Bomb objective games are garbage, that doesn't think that making the game more to their own personal liking wouldn't affect other players.

Sorry. (But I DO think u4ixx is not representative of the 'competitive community' - in fact, I don't think he's representative of the GAMER community, when I listen to him commentate. He's quite good at laughing at his own mistakes, and at NOT laughing (nastily) at his competitors. This is NOT common. I'm not saying it's unheard-of - I'm saying it's not common.)

Rehearsal over. Local seismic survey folks alerted. Seriously. Back at hotel. Riding bike in gym. Listening to soundtrack. Feels good man. Hopefully human catpoops will happen. More rehearsal to come.

i expect to look like this after the campaign demo...

tumblr_m4ra0jYbRK1rveosuo1_500.png

feel

Get your head outta the way keighley I wanna laugh at the bloom!!

And the gif makes it seem like the AR on the left most screen has a grenade launcher attachement lol

edit-
wait I can notice the bloom for the reload on the pistol one, doesn't seem like the spread on the inner reticule is changing, just an outer part of the reticule blooming letting you know when you can shoot

Arnie

Recoil on the DMR looks fairly significant, if that gif's anything to go by. Hopefully a good way of balancing it's destructive properties.

CyReN

Sorry. (But I DO think u4ixx is not representative of the 'competitive community' - in fact, I don't think he's representative of the GAMER community, when I listen to him commentate. He's quite good at laughing at his own mistakes, and at NOT laughing (nastily) at his competitors. This is NOT common. I'm not saying it's unheard-of - I'm saying it's not common.)

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, how does one represent the competitive community then? Is this a compliment of him branching out and I'm missing. U4ix has played in events and online for MLG Halo, commentated Halo for MLG, worked for MLG getting Halo footage along side me at events and even when Halo not on the circuit he pumps out content for the competitive community (along with casual gameplay/btb). He may not be the "T2/Walshy" kind of face but he has a lot credit in our community for the things he's done along with branching out to different parts of Halo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

First choice would win with zero votes and is therefore its own tiebraker.

I remember being told that we won't see any other humans in Halo 4 so the focus will be on the Chief and Cortana. Lol.

I dont recall 343 ever saying that? I do imagine a portion of the game will play out like that though.

I actually wouldn't mind if the majority was like that.

Lol, looks like that AR on the left is using a grenade launcher. I would assume it is just part of the reload animation and a grenade going off at the same time though.

Edit- Beaten by Letters mentioning the same thing

Risen

I guess I'm talking specifically about the crowd here that wants BR starts in every game, that thinks all non-Flag, non-Bomb objective games are garbage, that doesn't think that making the game more to their own personal liking wouldn't affect other players.

I think we're on the same page here as far as that goes. While I may prefer BR/DMR/Pistol in CE starts, I wouldn't begrudge others what makes the game fun for them. It goes back to what I was saying earlier in the thread... most people decide what is good or garbage with very little valid reasoning beyond simply a preference... and many time that preference is based on how they perform.

There is no way Halo (or any game) should be designed for a subset of players personal liking... yet, there is no doubt, highly competitive players who break the game down into minutia, could have very valid input on things that would benefit EVERYONE.

That's a maturity issue and commentary on kids in an anonymous play space rather than a commentary on competitive/casual. The competitive community is full of immature little asshats... just as is XBox Live as a whole.

I think I read your "representative" incorrectly in the initial post...

In a lot of ways I think I preferred the Halo 3 voting system. Lead to a little more variety. Sure I didn't get to play something I liked every single time, but that's better than Sanctuary CTF over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

It's built that way. Top always wins in case of a tie. That's why you 'topvote' against the other team if you want to screw with their choice.
and I fucking hate it. Firefight Doubles really shows how much of a glaring problem it is; any douchebag that doesn't like your choice (instead of just choosing None of the Above, to which I would change my vote out of general respect) can just vote for the top choice, which is the absolutely stupid 2x Score Attack.

First choice would win with zero votes and is therefore its own tiebraker.
Boo. Boo, I say! The option with the most votes should move up to the top of the queue so we don't have to rely on the slim chance that the other people aren't total assholes. argh.

A catpoop is how I describe my excrement, shortly following a night of heavy drinking.
I call it anal coughing; that pretty much describes it for me. /toomuchinformation

Top Bottom