• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I rather not destroy any relevance of vehicle combat with putting a Spartan Laser in there.

A Plasma Launcher is a welcoming one to return, but unfortunately we haven't seen anything about that yet.

Refer to my previous post. The vehicles need to be fixed, not the weapons. Not that I am suggesting a laser on ALL of the maps, I just feel it's one of those weapons that just 'feels like Halo'
yeah, i know.

Striker

Refer to my previous post. The vehicles need to be fixed, not the weapons. Not that I am suggesting a laser on ALL of the maps, I just feel it's one of those weapons that just 'feels like Halo'
yeah, i know.
I'm confident the vehicles will revert back to the health they used in Halo 2 and Halo 3. But vehicle combat in 3 was plagued by the awful Spartan Laser, as well (the Warthog's OP chaingun was its balance, but both were crap). In a map like Sandtrap you didn't even have to fight for it - it was handed to you and you were given an instant death machine that can shoot across the map with sniper-like precision.

Fuchsdh

I'm confident the vehicles will revert back to the health they used in Halo 2 and Halo 3. But vehicle combat in 3 was plagued by the awful Spartan Laser, as well (the Warthog's OP chaingun was its balance, but both were crap). In a map like Sandtrap you didn't even have to fight for it - it was handed to you and you were given a instant death machine that can shoot across the map with sniper-like precision.

The balance for the Laser is its large chargeup time, limited shots and (hopefully) the fact that you shouldn't be able to see and shoot every part of the map at once.

Personally I've never been a big fan of Blood Gulch because it was so exposed to sniper fire, and would have been even worse if we had Lasers in CE and 2... and that's why I like Valhalla much more :)

heckfu

Banned
Wondered why I felt poorly before I remembered I've only had 3 hours of sleep..
Arguably the best encounter in the game. Loved it from first attempt.
Ugh I know that feel. I was up late packing and talking to Biggy and Co. and had to wake up 4 hours later to meet my movers. Currently GAFfing and driving (not yet illegal). The rest of my day is going to be a real bitch.

If vehicles are like they are in Halo 3 than the Spartan Laser needs to return. Every game I played in Halo 2 with vehicles the infantry got wrecked. In H3 you felt like you had a chance. IMO vehicle combat was just about perfect in Halo 3. Nothing was too overpowered but nothing felt like it was made out of cardboard like in Reach. There were plenty of ways to take out vehicles(power drain, rockets, laser, and missile pod) but if you were a good driver and gunner or whatever you were using, you could avoid those things.

Recarpo

I'd be alright with the laser coming back if it maybe had a maximum range so you could just snipe something from across the map. It didn't help that there were times that the laser wouldn't even show up to the driver/gunner so warn them. I'd rather have lock on rockets, though because you could actually avoid them if you saw it coming.

Striker

Personally I've never been a big fan of Blood Gulch because it was so exposed to sniper fire, and would have been even worse if we had Lasers in CE and 2... and that's why I like Valhalla much more :)
So you liked the thought of sitting on the highest peak of the map and getting every opportunity to take out any vehicle or player?

Its blast radius, the precision, and how its basically, "boom!", dead, because you had no idea you were getting shot. I was piloting the Falcon not long ago with Havok in Spire and out of the corner of the screen I saw the laser charging, but no fucking way could I escape or out-maneuver that thing because it was a fast, direct line shot. Lock-on Rockets and Plasma Launcher were a million times better.

If vehicles are like they are in Halo 3 than the Spartan Laser needs to return. Every game I played in Halo 2 with vehicles the infantry got wrecked. In H3 you felt like you had a chance. IMO vehicle combat was just about perfect in Halo 3. Nothing was too overpowered but nothing felt like it was made out of cardboard like in Reach. There were plenty of ways to take out vehicles(power drain, rockets, laser, and missile pod) but if you were a good driver and gunner or whatever you were using, you could avoid those things.
I don't think that has anything to do with the Spartan Laser, but more the fact that you had more tools at your disposal to take out vehicles:
1. Plasma pistol EMP effect
2. Equipment
3. Missile pod
4. Detachable turrets

The Spartan Laser doesn't need to return.

Fuchsdh

So you liked the thought of sitting on the highest peak of the map and getting every opportunity to take out any vehicle or player?

Its blast radius, the precision, and how its basically, "boom!", dead, because you had no idea you were getting shot. I was piloting the Falcon not long ago with Havok in Spire and out of the corner of the screen I saw the laser charging, but no fucking way could I escape or out-maneuver that thing because it was a fast, direct line shot. Lock-on Rockets and Plasma Launcher were a million times better.

I see your point, but there's almost no way to avoid Rockets and Plasma with the Falcon either. If I get two shots off that's a triple.

Karl2177

I see your point, but there's almost no way to avoid Rockets and Plasma with the Falcon either. If I get two shots off that's a triple.

You can avoid both if you move sideways, and hold sideways until they have passed.

But we already know the laser will return and it will probably be as overpowered as it was in 3.

Havok

Both of those things have a dramatically shorter lock range than the Laser's max range, the user has to do more than point and shoot for that triple. Even then, a decent Falcon pilot will either get something between you and him or simply turn to the side if that's not possible (plasma launcher shots and rockets can and often will go straight through the passenger compartment).
There is even less warning from a snipe on infantry when across a map, and you don't hate it?
Make that argument the day shooting someone in the foot with a sniper gets you a triple kill and maybe it'll be valid.

Risen

Dying without warning because some dude lasered you from across the map is always awesome.

Plasma Launcher >

LOL at the laser hate - laser worked great as a power weapon against vehicles inn terms of a sandbox. Place one on the map, place it equidistant from initial spawns, and bam.

There is even less warning from a snipe on infantry when across a map, and you don't hate it?

Again - I've yet to see someone explain laser hate that doesn't boil down to - "I hate it because it kills me too quickly which prevents me from waping"

Dying without warning because some dude lasered you from across the map is always awesome.

Plasma Launcher >

Without warning? You pick the only gun in the entire series that paints its sight and makes a loud noise to emphasise something without warning?

At least when I get sniped or rocketed or even plasma launchered from across the map, I can do so having been forewarned.

LOL at the laser hate - laser worked great as a power weapon against vehicles inn terms of a sandbox. Place one on the map, place it equidistant from initial spawns, and bam.

Again - I've yet to see someone explain laser hate that doesn't boil down to - "I hate it because it kills me too quickly which prevents me from waping"
someone understands

Recarpo

With a sniper, you have to make a good shot to kill somebody in one shot across the map. With the laser, you pretty much just have to touch any part of a vehicle with a pretty large reticle and laser shot to get a kill.

Risen

\I was piloting the Falcon not long ago with Havok in Spire and out of the corner of the screen I saw the laser charging, but no fucking way could I escape or out-maneuver that thing because it was a fast, direct line shot. Lock-on Rockets and Plasma Launcher were a million times better.

You know it's a power weapon right? When you walk in a room and there's a guy with a sword camping around a corner, and you have no time to escape or out maneuver, do you blame the sword too? How about if that's rockets?

Is a scorpion tank overpowered against infantry? 'Cause man... if I'm in the open I can't escape it either because of a fast, direct line shot.

All of what you say is the result of getting out-played, not an overpowered weapon.

The reason people like the lock on rockets and plasma launcher isn't because they are more balanced weapons in the sandbox... it's because they allow them to get away with stupid shit and play how they want, when they want, and still live.

With the laser, you pretty much just have to touch any part of a vehicle with a pretty large reticle and laser shot to get a kill.

You just validated my statement.

kylej

Banned
All of what you say is the result of getting out-played, not an overpowered weapon.

The reason people like the lock on rockets and plasma launcher isn't because they are more balanced weapons in the sandbox... it's because they allow them to get away with stupid shit and play how they want, when they want, and still live.

Nailed it.

You know it's a power weapon right? When you walk in a room and there's a guy with a sword camping around a corner, and you have no time to escape or out maneuver, do you blame the sword too? How about if that's rockets?

Is a scorpion tank overpowered against infantry? 'Cause man... if I'm in the open I can't escape it either because of a fast, direct line shot.

stop talking. your making too much sense

Right. It's more fair. The Spartan Laser dampens vehicle combat. There are plenty of other ways to take out vehicles now rather than a one-hit kill, easy-to-aim weapon that reaches across any map.

Woorloog

Banned
I've spent a few hours this morning scouting terrain. It's tricky! I've got one map that's pretty much ready to roll, but needs some testing.

But then I have this extravagant idea for 5 v 5 Objectives with vehicles..and I start getting all carried away. Haven't had the Forge bug in ages.

I have this "Highway" idea. The only problem with it is that it doesn't suit 5v5. No matter how i try it, the basic pieces make the map large enough it requires 6v6 at least (and some tweaking make it 8v8).
Gotta scrap that idea as well.

The third concept i have in my mind (after "Bridges" and "Highway") is "Catwalks" (bad name but these are mere working names). I intented to use bridge pieces to make walkways next to cliffs... the only problem is that they need to be relatively high but the only "suitable" area in Forge World forces me to make it more or less asymmetrical and multileveled.
Probably scrapping this idea as well, i'll check later if i can find a better place or something.

My fourth idea is similar to Catwalks, i'd make them around the spire thing in Forge World... but i'm not sure if a circular map would actually work, since there is no way to cross it quickly. Well, with teleports it would be possible but i'm not sure those are a good idea.

Tawpgun

Snipers need to hit a SMALL target once, or a more manueverable, agile target TWICE.

Lol at the people implying the red warning laser and sound actually work. Most of the time you get no warning at all. Even if someone did paint you from the start, that shit is impossible to dodge assuming laser guy has thumbs.

ZalinKrow

With a sniper, you have to make a good shot to kill somebody in one shot across the map. With the laser, you pretty much just have to touch any part of a vehicle with a pretty large reticle and laser shot to get a kill.

A laser is much harder to control though, no? I mean, with a sniper you can kill as soon as you pull the trigger. With the laser you have to keep the reticle on a quick target (most of the time) and hope nothing gets in the way during that time.

If the laser had no charge time, THEN it'd be OP. But I never considered it to be too good before. Maybe that's cause I'm not very handy with it though.

Recarpo

I was just saying why your comparison of a one shot kill by a sniper across a large map and a one shot kill with a laser are very different things and why the laser is looked down on.

A laser is much harder to control though, no? I mean, with a sniper you can kill as soon as you pull the trigger. With the laser you have to keep the reticle on a quick target (most of the time) and hope nothing gets in the way during that time.

I don't know if there's any vehicle that's agile enough to strafe a laser shot at least that I've used. Banshee is the obvious exception with the crazy flips, but that's a whole other discussion.

kylej

Banned
Halo 3 laser was perfect. You don't want to get lasered? Get the laser. Halo is about map and weapon control. When I'm playing Pit CTF, I don't claim the "infantry combat" is ruined because I'm getting blown up by rockets after the other team pushed and grabbed them. I got outplayed and now I have to deal with it.

would you run out in the open if you knew the other team had a sniper? same with the laser. it has 5 shots. either regain control of the laser or make him waste shots. keep vehicles back until you regain control

Blueblur1

Halo 3 laser was perfect. You don't want to get lasered? Get the laser. Halo is about map and weapon control. When I'm playing Pit CTF, I don't claim the "infantry combat" is ruined because I'm getting blown up by rockets after the other team pushed and grabbed them. DMR shouldn't beat rockets, I got outplayed and now I have to deal with it.
Agree 100%.

Risen

Right. It's more fair. The Spartan Laser dampens vehicle combat. There are plenty of other ways to take out vehicles now rather than a one-hit kill, easy-to-aim weapon that reaches across any map.

So "fair" in your mind is allowing you to play how you want, when you want, do stupid shit, and have a better chance of getting away with it.

There always were multiple ways to take out vehicles... and always will be. The laser is balanced very well given what else is around it. It's slow to fire, makes noise, flashes lights, and has limited number of shots. It also hits hard.

The laser is SUPPOSED to dampen vehicle combat. It's a power weapon against vehicles (which can be wasted on infantry).

The tank is a one-hit kill, easy-to aim weapon, that reaches across the map. When it's up, infantry should turtle. Seems pretty balanced to have a weapon to counter strongly powered vehicles and make that something to fight over in the center of the map.

Your statement still boils down to - it kills too quickly.

I don't begrudge the opinion - that's cool. I just don't think it's overpowered or imbalanced in any way. Give it more ammo, shorter charge time, and completely silent - I think there would be more to talk about in terms of "overpowered".

Garnett Lee on Weekend Confirmed this week expressed big doubts about how
-the release date (and the comparison/choice that forces) [which I've hit on before]
-the stigma that comes with trying to live up to / be better than Bungie would affect the perception of the franchise.
Fully believes the game will be great (and would have to be considering the team) but thinks those point will work against them.

I might not be explaining it the best, but it's worth listening to.

Halo 3 laser was perfect. You don't want to get lasered? Get the laser. Halo is about map and weapon control. When I'm playing Pit CTF, I don't claim the "infantry combat" is ruined because I'm getting blown up by rockets after the other team pushed and grabbed them. I got outplayed and now I have to deal with it.

Completely agree.

Risen

I was just saying why your comparison of a one shot kill by a sniper across a large map and a one shot kill with a laser are very different things and why the laser is looked down on.

You missed the logic and irony in the first part - his reasoning for the laser being bad was because

Dying without warning because some dude lasered you from across the map is always awesome

the comparison was of getting killed with no warning, which is ironic because the laser gives much more warning than a snipe.

When you get into a vehicle you understand, you sign an invisible contract, that with the additional speed, damage, and shielding you gain you now become a target.

How the FUCK would it be balanced any other way then being able to be blown da fuck up by some other weapons?

Do you want another case of Banshees, Wraiths, and Scorpions going plus 30 every game again like we have in Reach?

kylej

Banned
When you get into a vehicle you understand, you sign an invisible contract, that with the additional speed, damage, and shielding you gain you now become a target.

How the FUCK would it be balanced any other way then being able to be blown da fuck up by some other weapons?

Do you want another case of Banshees, Wraiths, and Scorpions going plus 30 every game again like we have in Reach?

No dude, don't you know vehicle combat in Halo Reach is ruined. It's ruined because the hog can sometimes be flipped over if the other team is focusing their fire on me. I wish I could just keep driving around the enemy base or doing stupid shit and not worry about getting roasted. That would be Balanced.

*gets 12 overkills per game in the Banshee*

Top Bottom