• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Garnett Lee on Weekend Confirmed this week expressed big doubts about how
-the release date (and the comparison/choice that forces) [which I've hit on before]
-the stigma that comes with trying to live up to / be better than Bungie would affect the perception of the franchise.
Fully believes the game will be great (and would have to be considering the team) but thinks those point will work against them.

I might not be explaining it the best, but it's worth listening to.

do you have a link?

When you get into a vehicle you understand, you sign an invisible contract, that with the additional speed, damage, and shielding you gain you now become a target.

How the FUCK would it be balanced any other way then being able to be blown da fuck up by some other weapons?

Do you want another case of Banshees, Wraiths, and Scorpions going plus 30 every game again like we have in Reach?

Exactly. You get extra kills in vehicles but the ebb and flow always persisted. Without some reason for vehicles to hold off or be destroyed, scores will be lopsided.

Halo 3 laser was perfect. You don't want to get lasered? Get the laser. Halo is about map and weapon control. When I'm playing Pit CTF, I don't claim the "infantry combat" is ruined because I'm getting blown up by rockets after the other team pushed and grabbed them. I got outplayed and now I have to deal with it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Without warning? You pick the only gun in the entire series that paints its sight and makes a loud noise to emphasise something without warning?

At least when I get sniped or rocketed or even plasma launchered from across the map, I can do so having been forewarned.
You mean that tiny red line that you can hardly see and if you do see it it's usually already too late? Or that noise you can hardly hear because your gunner is shooting at someone? (Maybe I could hear it with my headphones but without them I've never heard the laser before I got killed with it) You can't even hear the Plasma Launcher that well in BTB most of the time and thing makes a lot of noise if you use it on a map like Boardwalk.

Also, the sniper is harder to aim with (small reticule, relatively small target vs big reticule and a big target) and it will only kill one soldier (in one shot), not an entire vehicle with possibly multiple people in it. I just feel like you shouldn't die out of nowhere in a vehicle because it's, you know, a vehicle. Just feels wrong.

I say; replace the Laser with a Plasma Launcher that has faster projectiles but gives a warning to the targeted vehicle via a beeping noise not unlike the one heard when you're locked on by a missile pod.

wwm0nkey

Problem with those saying the laser is "perfect". If there was any network issues the red marker would not show up for you so one second you were there and then next you are dust without any previous warning. Now if that is fixed in Halo 4 that would be great.

Risen

Snipers need to hit a SMALL target once, or a more manueverable, agile target TWICE.

In H3, didn't it take two shots with the laser to kill the scorpion tank and wraith, which took somewhere between 6-8 seconds...?

Problem with those saying the laser is "perfect". If there was any network issues the red marker would not show up for you so one second you were there and then next you are dust without any previous warning..

The problem with that is you describe a problem with netcode, not the weapon.

Striker

How the FUCK would it be balanced any other way then being able to be blown da fuck up by some other weapons?
By getting hit by one you can out-maneuver. If you're getting shot by a BR or DMR, you're suppose to be capable of out smarting, or out-strafing your opponent. Now look at it from the vehicle standpoint. There's no capability to dodge a Laser blast. None whatsoever.

xxjuicesxx said:
Do you want another case of Banshees, Wraiths, and Scorpions going plus 30 every game again like we have in Reach?
Wraiths and Scorpions are tanks, they're suppose to be powerful. Plus Scorpions were only on one map by design in Halo 2 and 3, and it wasn't over-powerful in there because of the map design around it. They're both big targets, and painfully slow. Regular heavy weapons before took them down fine.

The Banshee can be outclassed by a Rocket locking on, but if the design is terrible, see: Reach Banshee, it's going to get crap ton more kills than usual.

Halo 3 laser was perfect. You don't want to get lasered? Get the laser. Halo is about map and weapon control. When I'm playing Pit CTF, I don't claim the "infantry combat" is ruined because I'm getting blown up by rockets after the other team pushed and grabbed them. I got outplayed and now I have to deal with it.
Rockets in The Pit can't shoot a moving person(s) across the map with pinpoint accuracy.

Risen

Now look at it from the vehicle standpoint. There's no capability to dodge a Laser blast. None whatsoever.

Now look at it from the infantry standpoint, I have no capability to dodge a tank round, or cannon from banshee for that matter.

Rockets in The Pit can't shoot a moving person(s) across the map with pinpoint accuracy.

No but the snipe can - oh and you have a ton of ammo too.

Yeah, laser just isn't fair in terms of its range, accuracy and lack of warning. I definitely prefer lock on rockets.

Speaking of which, I wish we would get a warning like Halo 4 when locked on. Also, since the Falcon has relatively no evasive maneuvers, I wonder if giving the pilot flares would have been a good idea.. Just make em take a while to recharge, so if someone shoots one rocket and they flare off the other rocket will still have a solid lock.

Havok

Now look at it from the infantry standpoint, I have no capability to dodge a tank round, or cannon from banshee for that matter.
The Scorpion has never been a good fit for matchmaking, using it as an example when Bungie keeps having to take it out of Big Team specifically because it is too dominating doesn't help your point. If you want to bring the Wraith into this, then sure, you can dodge that thing pretty easily. The Banshee bomb is a huge point of contention here, the vehicle was better off without the massive Reach version. Why use examples of obviously shitty things to defend another shitty thing?
Then you are missing my point... it's not too dominating if the laser is in the game.
No, balancing bad game mechanics (massively overpowered vehicles) by introducing more bad game mechanics (a one hit triple kill cross map point and shoot death gun) is not a good solution, this same argument has been had about countless other things.

Risen

The Scorpion has never been a good fit for matchmaking, using it as an example when Bungie keeps having to take it out of Big Team specifically because it is too dominating doesn't help your point. If you want to bring the Wraith into this, then sure, you can dodge that thing pretty easily. The Banshee bomb is a huge point of contention here, the vehicle was better off without the massive Reach version.

Then you are missing my point... it's not too dominating if the laser is in the game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I say; replace the Laser with a Plasma Launcher that has faster projectiles but gives a warning to the targeted vehicle via a beeping noise not unlike the one heard when you're locked on by a missile pod.

I'd be ok with that. Although please no flares for air vehicles, that gets so annoying in BF3.

Striker

The Scorpion was never a good vehicle to have in the game because of how strong it was. Containment was the only map, like mentioned, and it played fine given the overall map design. You can dodge plasma cannon in a Banshee, and you can dodge a Wraith blast easily, as well. Now if you want to argue how over-powerful a Scorpion blast or Banshee's fuel rod, then go ahead. I never liked them implementing the fuel rod back into the Banshee in the first place.

It has three distinct problems, as noted by many in here: lack of warning (you do not have the same mobility moving left, right, forward, and back like you do on foot), pinpoint accuracy no matter the distance, and its blast radius.

If Halo 4 has no laser people will start complaining about how vehicles dominate too much. Projectile weapons are too easy to avoid.
Not if there's a viable primary anti-vehicular weapon that doesn't have as many problems as the laser does: see lock-on Rockets and Reach's Plasma Launcher.

The laser is balanced very well given what else is around it. It's slow to fire, makes noise, flashes lights, and has limited number of shots. It also hits hard.
The laser isn't balanced at all. It's not slow enough to fire, you couldn't hear it charging unless you're right next to it, and I would argue five shots is too many (two or three would be better). It was far too easy to aim because of the huge reticule and the zoom.
Your statement still boils down to - it kills too quickly.
And by saying this I know you're missing the point. There are many problems with it, as I have listed, but a more accurate description would be it's too easy to get kills with.

The Flood.

h17sx.jpg

lol

Risen

It has three distinct problems, as noted by many in here: lack of warning (you do not have the same mobility moving left, right, forward, and back like you do on foot), pinpoint accuracy no matter the distance, and its blast radius.

It warns you more than any other weapon in the game, it has no better accuracy than a rocket or sniper in their respective ranges, and... it's a laser.

Laser is a vehicle sniper through and through. Any infantry firing at a laser holder stand at great odds to win. It's this reason that a good team who happen to lose the laser can still put pressure on the laser without sacrificing vehicle deaths.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The laser was fair it just wasn't fun getting destroyed by it 2 seconds after you jump in a warthog lol

senador

Banned
Wow go Risen. It's not fun to die buy one sure, but I agree with everything Risen said. To make it more "fair" I'd add a longer louder sound too it that perhaps is heard if the laser is pointed in your general direction. Maybe it could also strip the shields of the person wielding it.

I feel it should be similar to any other power weapon though, "laser's up" and either go get with your vehicle, or lay low while your teammates take care of it.

The laser isn't balanced at all. It's not slow enough to fire, you couldn't hear it charging unless you're right next to it, and I would argue five shots is too many (two or three would be better). It was far too easy to aim because of the huge reticule and the zoom.

And by saying this I know you're missing the point. There are many problems with it, as I have listed, but a more accurate description would be it's too easy to get kills with.

I don't feel he is missing the point at all but is nailing it pretty well. Striker's example sucks to have happen, but I think that can be attributed more to the fact that the Falcon is a slower moving air vehicle, the laser is a huge threat for it.

Doesn't the Reach laser have less shots?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This may be the first time I agree with Kyle.

I always thought the laser was fine, I had never heard anyone complain about it until I started posting here.

No one should be complaining about getting lasered while in a vehicle. Your team shouldn't be in vehicles if you don't have laser control.

Top Bottom