• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Wait, I thought people were upset that being shot slowed you down... now it doesn't slow you down and people are upset?
Can you pinpoint anyone saying the prior? Because shots slowing you down help against double melee and sword/hammer derping as well as people using it to run away. Who was upset about shots hindering your sprint?

Arnie

Wait, I thought people were upset that being shot slowed you down... now it doesn't slow you down and people are upset?

I think it's the idea that shooting opponents should slow their sprinting, not their base movement speed. Otherwise there's a potential for players to abuse the sprint and melee mechanic as opposed to firing their weapon.

Woorloog

Banned
Why would anyone be upset if being shot slowed you down? Seemed like a good balancing measure.

Indeed. As long as that happens only to sprint speed, not base speed.

By the way, the movement speed seemed almost as slow as Reach in these videos when we saw it from first person, certainly didn't look as "fast" as Halo 3. Though if this still has the same FOV as Reach, it may have affected my perception of speed.

Spawnling

is there a good write-up on these new videos yet? And when is the next stream/info?

Halo 4 Interview and Multiplayer Footage: - Countdown until showtime!
Just for everyone confused or who does not know.

IGN HALO 4 Footage. at
16:40 PDT (4:40PM)
19:40 EST (7:40PM)
00:40 GMT (12:40 thats midnight folks)

Link is here!

Its a 20min segment but based on what IGN did last year it could be anything as little as 5 minuets and above

BigShow36

Indeed. As long as that happens only to sprint speed, not base speed.

By the way, the movement speed seemed almost as slow as Reach in these videos when we saw it from first person, certainly didn't look as "fast" as Halo 3. Though if this still has the same FOV as Reach, it may have affected my perception of speed.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks pretty slow.

Despite gripes with what has been seen (I'm actually okay with most of it at this point).

I still believe this game will be head and shoulders above Reach and even maybe Halo 3 depending on how the maps play, that's all I can really ask for at this pt.

I don't know how im gonna play Reach for the next 5 months :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I want this, badly. =/

AuptVDdCQAAihgv.jpg

During 1:02 in the new War Games footage, when he kills the one guy with the BR there's another one engaging him right after with a red glow. Wonder what that's about.

Kibbles

How can they really show MP on IGN? I'm guessing Spartan Ops maybe. Unless they have a bunch of people setup to do a MP match for IGN, or roll pre-recorded footage.

Risen

Yes but I was worried about how it would affect core gameplay beyond the most basic and literal sense of sprinting in game = moving faster.

You will note I said "speeding up the game" which is not the most basic and literal sense of sprinting = moving faster.

Sprint speeds up core game play because of the movement... true. But that's the point. People have to think faster, and do more, in a shorter period of time - which creates another layer of skill. The lack of sprint gives people ages to make decisions. It's why it's a nice addition in many people's mind.

Do people remember how fast Quake was? It was beloved in the day... and that fast movement didn't get the same hate that sprint does in Halo.

daedalius

You will note I said "speeding up the game" which is not the most basic and literal sense of sprinting = moving faster.

Sprint speeds up core game play because of the movement... true. But that's the point. People have to think faster, and do more, in a shorter period of time - which creates another layer of skill. The lack of sprint gives people ages to make decisions. It's why it's a nice addition in many people's mind.

Do people remember how fast Quake was? It was beloved in the day... and that fast movement didn't get the same hate that sprint does in Halo.

Quake 3 rocket arena.... SO FAST.

kylej

Banned

Yeah but Quake also didn't have all this superfluous bullshit. Q3A was far closer to traditional Halo than people realize. All about smart weapon selection based on the situation, aim, and map control.

Woorloog

Banned

The problem with sprint is that we can't do anything while sprinting... in Quake, you can shoot, jump, turn around, strafe all the while retaining a fast movement speed.

I don't mind having both good speed AND sprint... i really hate slow movement that necessitates sprint to move faster around the map.

Quake is fast because you can tie the quick movement to the combat. You are zig zagging and bunny hopping all over the place in conjunction to the combat. Sprint is different because it's only a means of movement. It's like saying I'm engaging in fast combat because I'm zipping around in a Mongoose. With sprint you're only really going forward with a very tight turn radius on top of that.

Now if you took out sprint, but made that level of speed the base movement? That would be awesome. Though I don't know how viable on a controller.

Halo is more about the individual encounter than Quake was though, in Quake you very much saw someone and blained them, it was twitch reflexes at its best. But a lot of the combat came down to seeing someone and blaining them, the action moved too fast for individual encounters to really play out . You didn't outthink your opponent as much as simply out aim them a lot of the time. Of course good movement and positioning was important, but less so than in Halo (I feel).

Reach was the slow end of that, individual encounters lacked skill because you had too much time, and armour abilities which just simplified those encounters. I hope it never goes that slow again either.

Fast based gameplay, where individual 'battles' can play out is the sweet spot in my opinion.

The pro's reactions seem pretty positive, but the odd mention of some things, like nades being like Reach's dampens my hype, so mixed feelings from the Pro's reactions for me.

daedalius

Yeah but Quake also didn't have all this superfluous bullshit. Q3A was far closer to traditional Halo than people realize. All about smart weapon selection based on the situation, aim, and map control.

To be fair, you can carry all the weapons in quake; and switch is basically instant.

I only played rocket arena, where everyone spawned with 100/100 and full weapons (sans BFG obviously); battles were always interesting.

Halo is more about the individual encounter than Quake was though, in Quake you very much saw someone and blained them, it was twitch reflexes at its best. Im not convinced it took as much skill though, because beyond seeing someone and blaining them, the action moved too fast for individual encounters to play out. You didn't outthink your opponent as much as simply out aim them a lot of the time. Of course good movement and positioning was important, but less so than in Halo (I feel).
If you watched Quake duels you would know that this has no basis in reality whatsoever. There is nothing in any FPS as intense and demanding as a 1 on 1 duel in Quake. Nothing.

kylej

Banned
Halo is more about the individual encounter than Quake was though, in Quake you very much saw someone and blained them, it was twitch reflexes at its best. Im not convinced it took as much skill though

my eyes just rolled out of my head, my ears flew off, my brain exploded on the wall, and now my mom is posting this as she slides my corpse off the keyboard due to reading this statement

Overdoziz

Banned

But doesn't Quake just have fast basespeed, right? Nothing similar to sprint.

To anyone worried about the forerunner riot shield: watch the AA meter when he activates it, it provides maybe five seconds of cover and isn't all-protecting like Armor Lock; one of the videos actually showed a Spartan on Haven shielding to block a melee, only to get killed by some other guy behind him with an AR.

I also really hope that the Sticky Detonator is to the Plasma Grenade as the Pro Pipe is to the Frag so that they can coexist. ;_;

my eyes just rolled out of my head, my ears flew off, my brain exploded on the wall, and now my mom is posting this as she slides my corpse off the keyboard due to reading this statement

Pfft, you caught my post too quick, Quake takes tons of skill, but Quake style movement wouldnt work in the type of battles that involve the skill involved in Halo.

If you watched Quake duels you would know that this has no basis in reality whatsoever. There is nothing in any FPS as intense and demanding as a 1 on 1 duel in Quake. Nothing.

Quake battles seemed more like Gears battles than Halo battles to me, lots of jostling for ground and getting the right position to react to things, but Halo battles play differently, I struggle to explain.

Top Bottom