• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Ramirez

Man, I remember getting my dong on for the first time with Q3A on the Dreamcast. Moving with the buttons & aiming with the left stick, still don't know how I did it...13 year old adaptation.

They could have pooped in Omlet's mouth and the reaction would have been the same.

Risen

Yeah but Quake also didn't have all this superfluous bullshit. Q3A was far closer to traditional Halo than people realize. All about smart weapon selection based on the situation, aim, and map control.

Totally agree on not having superfluous bullshit... but we were specifically talking about sprint... which I don't think is superfluous bullshit. It's opinion only... but I think it adds to the game play rather than getting in the way of the game play.

If my reaction time were slower, if I thought slower, if vision was worse, awareness not that good, etc... I might hate it.

My hope is that all the other "stuff" being added, will be added in such a way that it doesn't get in the way of the core game play that Frankie and David have spoken about.

If it does get in the way... it will be just like Reach for me... something I play because friends play it, not something I play because I love it.

Voltron64

Just played it. Infinity Slayer on Haven...it was over too fast and I want play again. Lots of fun. Domino and I dominated the blue team. ;)

so do the pros for the most part like the game...? I've heard Gandhi's phonecall, and he didn't seem too excited, but walshy seems to like it as well as domino

Just played it. Infinity Slayer on Haven...it was over too fast and I want play again. Lots of fun. Domino and I dominated the blue team. ;)

i need more

please.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Franklinator, whats say you, me, Kittens, and monsterfracas form a Spartan Ops posse when this finally drops?
I already told my BFF that I'd play through it with him. He moved to Japan last year and is almost constantly working, and I told him I wouldn't wait till the weekend after Nov 6 to play with main campaign with him, haha. So, I've got to at least play through Spops with him.

feel

It's awesome to see you hyped about this. : )
Underneath all the shit (or what seems like shit for now) there seems to be that good old snappy fun Halo gameplay, something that Reach lacked. That's enough to get me on board I guess. :)

So glad Tojima laughed that stupid metallic shield drop clink sound out of the building. Awful.

789shadow

Banned
I already told my BFF that I'd play through it with him. He moved to Japan last year and is almost constantly working, and I told him I wouldn't wait till the weekend after Nov 6 to play with main campaign with him, haha. So, I've got to at least play through Spops with him.
Play it twice.

I SEE HOW IT IS KITTENS

nah, I was planning on playing it with rl friends first, too

http://halocouncil.com/content.php?r=395-Halo-Pros-First-H4-Impressions

Scroll down to Naded's impressions... yum <3.

Thanks Cyren for keeping up to date so well.

I really hope we can add a much needed depth to Halo's competitive play, will entice a lot more viewers to watch the game if it's something other than one gun and all the same movement.

I've always liked objective for the strategic aspect of it all, hopefully the new abilities/etc will add strategy/fun to slayer without breaking it. I'm getting really fucking excited.

What map is Haven?

Old wraparound I believe is what I heard.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey Franklinator, whats say you, me, Kittens, and monsterfracas form a Spartan Ops posse when this finally drops?

I can play. Not release day though, lol.
Plan on doing LAN customs in my dorm starting at exactly 12:01. As soon as I wake up after that, it's campaign time.

I really hope there's a useable and intuitive control scheme for this game, the ones we've heard of so far are ridiculous (nade on x? wtf) The one posted earlier would be perfect imo (reach bumper jumper with sprint on x, AA on a and switch nade on D-pad).

789shadow

Banned
I plan on annoying you 3 to death so you'll have to play.

Prepare for it. I can make my voice VERY high pitched.

You probably know that already.

kylej

Banned
Just saw Bman's tweet. Bumper Jumper is X to nade? Why not just keep bumper jumper the same and make another control variant with X to nade?

Or why not let people choose whatever control scheme they want using whatever buttons for whatever actions?

GhaleonEB

More NEW gameplay just uploaded on Halo Waypoint on Youtube.

Halo War Games

Halo Spartan Ops

Halo 4 Infinity Multiplayer

Good stuff. Some thoughts from each.

War Games

The weapon sounds are more muffled than I thought they would be, the BR in particular. They sound almost silenced.

Animations are fantastic.

Not a fan of personal ordnance, in any context. But given that 343 has been saying they are only deployed in certain game types - can we please know what those are? It's not useful to introduce a disruptive element such as that and then NOT tell players when they will be utilized; I really would like those two things to be communicated in tandem. "This is what personal ordnance is, these are the kinds of playlists you will see it in." Doling out information on new elements sans context just adds confusion and worry.

First BTB map shown, and it's 1) asymmetric and 2) snowy. Bravo. :D

Looks similar in style and layout as Breakpoint, which is a good thing. I just hope the mountain peak at the center is NOT accessible to snipers.

MP_Ghost_Health.png

This is how much health the Ghost pilot had when his vehicle blew up. It looks like the Warthog chaingun finished him off, so there was no damage spike at the end. This is really super very concerning, player health needs to be tied to vehicle health again. Reach's BTB is a mess in part because they were decoupled.

Assassinations sound nice and squishy with all the stabbing and bone breaking. Nice.

Medals are doled out in force; someone AR's a Ghost pilot out and earns four of them for the effort.

Vehicles look and sound nice and heavy, very industrial sounding.

Spartan Ops

Looks like mini Campaign missions, focused on certain types of encounters: assault an entrenched location, defend a position, explore a facility, etc. Some interesting environments and encounter set ups, though it was hard to get a feel for the structure or size of them overall.

Did I mention the sound design is really muffled? Nothing has the punch of the Reach DMR. It may grow on me but "beefy" is not what came to mind. Very thump thump thump.

Halo 4 Infinity Multiplayer

I like the new UI, different but compact and clear. You can see the elements they are building on from Reach and how the things like credit payouts, armory, ranks and load outs have evolved together into something more unified.

Overall the thing that keeps getting reinforced is speed: this is Halo on a wee bit of crack. More elements in the sandbox, with a LOT of overlapping weapon roles (to fuel the unlocking mechanics) with sprint on for everyone at all times. I'm a bit nervous about it all - potential for clusterfuck is high (coming off the Reach experience).

My overarching reaction after the videos: I would really like to play it now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The issue is Mrs Violence bashed the Halo community recently and hopped on the CoD train, and this pops up.

He hasn't made a big enough contribution to the "community" yet to be making such statements I would imagine and two if he had JUST mentioned her it probably would have been "fine" but T2 (as much of a Dbag as he is) and Walshy are fine.

What did Violence say exactly?

edit:

Also why do the rockets fire off slowly? Reminds me of the missile pod from H3.

I actually thought that WAS a rocket pod...

Fracas

#fuckonami
I agree Ghal, I don't really care for the weapon audio so far.
Except for the AR. Looking like it's gonna feel very nice to use, and I like its sound from what I've heard.

CyReN

Just talked to Nexy
A lot of things are better than others, Promethean Vision is the way to go when playing, game flows well. The ordinance drops aren't need, classic was fine.
Will have a audio up later today going more in-dept, hopefully he's out of the "honeymoon phase".

789shadow

Banned
Face it people, CoD has tons of stuff in the middle of the screen all the time, and it sells billions. Therefore, stuff in the middle of the screen is the reason it sells billions, and if Halo has it, it will also sell billions.

Ramirez

MLG is having a pretty in depth session with multiplayer this weekend.

Coverage will include commentated gameplay, raw gameplay, interviews with players and a discussion with developers about the finer details of the multiplayer experience. If you want to get a first look at the future of Halo, head over to MLG.tv at 12pm ET Friday, June 8 for coverage you won’t find anywhere else.

I'd personally rather hear about the new mechanics from the dev team, but whatever I guess.

Top Bottom