• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

wwm0nkey

Good games Kittens.

It's tough for me, I feel like the Moffat era has the edge on special effects, sets, props, and even overall acting, but the Russel T. Davies era had probably something like 3 of the 5 best episodes of the show (those 3 being written by Moffat...but still).

What killed the 10th doctor for me was how annoying he got near the end and how bad his ending was. So far I have no issues with the 11th except for River Song who I HATE.

So I said I was going to mockup a Majestic Squid emblem, and here it is. Sorry for posting it so late at night, but this is what happens when I'm bored and have Illustrator.

5WT0g.png

edit: is there any way to get transparencies working for avatars on gaf? right now I just have the background the same color as the page, but apparently it doesn't work too well, since it's showing up white on other threads.

Shadders

:lol Even if he wasn't baffled by date formats, how do you jump from a date being 4 days after E3 to "OMG THEY ARE ANNOUNCING A NEW CONSOLE AND H4 IS A LAUNCH GAME".

That said, I think we may see some new hardware at E3, here's my prediction:

Microsoft announce a new interim Xbox, called Xbox Lite/Light. It's smaller and quieter than the 360 S. Crucially it does not have the same guts. Y'know how H4 has been looking "smoother" than any 360 game we've seen before? I reckon they're announcing a new Xbox which improves graphics at a hardware level. Native 1080p, FXAA, no frame drops or screen tearing. I doubt it'll give a higher framerate as that has gameplay implications, but it should lock the framerate. Essentially it allows games to look and run better, but doesn't add anything to them, all games will work on both consoles they'll just look beter on the 360 Lite.

Releases day and date with Halo 4, along with a Halo 4 Legendary Edition console.

We then get a campaign video of Halo 4 showing the first level and cinematic (no mention of who the new enemy will be), followed by Spartan Ops live demo. Spartan Ops to be playable on the show floor. They'll release a multiplayer trailer a couple of days after the main conference.

So in the middle of capturing and downloading clips for halo council's next top 5, file share searching just stopped working. :/

Edit: Seems theyre doing maintenance, my spartan profile and service tag aren't appearing right now either.

Btw this is the gem I capped right before it went down.

wwm0nkey

:lol Even if he wasn't baffled by date formats, how do you jump from a date being 4 days after E3 to "OMG THEY ARE ANNOUNCING A NEW CONSOLE AND H4 IS A LAUNCH GAME".

That said, I think we may see some new hardware at E3, here's my prediction:

Microsoft announce a new interim Xbox, called Xbox Lite/Light. It's smaller and quieter than the 360 S. Crucially it does not have the same guts. Y'know how H4 has been looking "smoother" than any 360 game we've seen before? I reckon they're announcing a new Xbox which improves graphics at a hardware level. Native 1080p, FXAA, no frame drops or screen tearing. I doubt it'll give a higher framerate as that has gameplay implications, but it should lock the framerate. Essentially it allows games to look and run better, but doesn't add anything to them, all games will work on both consoles they'll just look beter on the 360 Lite.

Releases day and date with Halo 4, along with a Halo 4 Legendary Edition console.

We then get a campaign video of Halo 4 showing the first level and cinematic (no mention of who the new enemy will be), followed by Spartan Ops live demo. Spartan Ops to be playable on the show floor. They'll release a multiplayer trailer a couple of days after the main conference.
My predictions for Microsoft at E3

Halo 4
DD only 360
Kinect
XBLA titles on Windows 8 (which is already confirmed but I expect to see more on it there)

Thats about it, next E3 though I think its a guarantee we will see the new Xbox (Infinity)

Clip editing is done. Soundtrack is done. All that's left are the captions with everyone's name.

But it's 4:45 AM here and I'm going to bed for now.

12.25 hours. (Approx. one sleep.)

TheOddOne

Reach was an improvement in every area other than gameplay and theater mode. Obviously they missed with the most important aspect, but the UI, netcode, customization, and features in Reach crush any other Halo game.
For me Reach has brought one noticible feature that has to be in every Halo from here forth, active roster. That and some of the level design was inspired, the rest was more of less a decent first job.

After really enjoying the beta, no D3 for me yet, broadband not yet reconnected in my new apartment.

Re-looking over the LE... I'm pretty disappointed. Reach's LE seems like it was much better, no attempt to stand up to the wonderful Halsey's journal?

Seriously, active roster is something all games with an online component should be implementing.

Here is something I thought about for theatre, I hate sometimes having to wait till the end of a game to clip something, I would love something like a bookmark option.

So you did something awesome, great, you could manually book mark by pressing start and pressing the relevant option, or even book mark it during a death, say press Y.

Therefore, loading up the clip would then allow you to go to those points of interest fast.

A mere dream though.

Louis Wu

Have they ever shown Halo multiplayer at E3? I don't think they have.
Several people mentioned the live demo onstage in 2004. (It was also playable behind closed doors that year... but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about. :) )

Halo was playable by anyone (out in the open) in 2001 - 4v4 games on Blood Gulch were running during the whole show.

The Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack was unveiled in 2005 (and was playable for the first time at E3).

ODST's Firefight was playable for the first time at E3 2009. (Can't remember how public it was, but Bungie brought 4 dev kits to a fan-hosted party the last night of the show, and anyone there got to play.)

E3 has often been the first place to see/try multiplayer. :)

Just played MP3, looking forward to SP.

MP seems a little too standard for me, nothing really standing out for me, will give it a chance though.

wwm0nkey

Just played MP3, looking forward to SP.

MP seems a little too standard for me, nothing really standing out for me, will give it a chance though.

Its basically the better Uncharted in terms of MP. Also the Vendetta and crew systems are really awesome (would hope that goes to more games soon)

Also Single Player will not disappoint.

wwm0nkey

My copy might get here monday. Who here has this game?

Just me and Elzar I think, there is a pretty decently sized NeoGAF crew though for the game and you can see whoever is online from the crew in the game which is very awesome if no one else is on.

Gui_PT

Just me and Elzar I think, there is a pretty decently sized NeoGAF crew though for the game and you can see whoever is online from the crew in the game which is very awesome if no one else is on.

Much appreciated!

Shogun has it aswell, I think. I'll try to apply for the crew

You're getting it?

bailout.gif

Monkey, Me, Xand, and Cyren, anyone else I'm missing?

Yeah well half the game is in portuguese so I can't pass the oportunity to listen to the incorrectly translated atrocities (And it's also a damn awesome game)

wwm0nkey

I REALLY hope the future Halo games have a system similar to the Crew system in MP3, no one online? Well here is a giant list of people that are currently playing and joining up with them will help start Feuds with rival crews.

Here is something I thought about for theatre, I hate sometimes having to wait till the end of a game to clip something, I would love something like a bookmark option.

So you did something awesome, great, you could manually book mark by pressing start and pressing the relevant option, or even book mark it during a death, say press Y.

Therefore, loading up the clip would then allow you to go to those points of interest fast.

A mere dream though.
And an option to "save as..." after the end of the match, why can't you do that? :/

Gui_PT

I don't think they're going to spend any time to work on those features, unfortunately.

Reach's theatre was a step back from 3. Forge didn't improve much(yes yes it's all gray so you could argue it's also a step back) so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't think they're going to spend any time to work on those features, unfortunately.

Reach's theatre was a step back from 3. Forge didn't improve much(yes yes it's all gray so you could argue it's also a step back) so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Yeah, I would agree with this, again like you said, it wasn't really forge that was a big improvement but rather the space to forge in.

wwm0nkey

In terms of Halo 4 features I expect Theater to be improved but not by astronomical amounts. As for Forge, the fact that we are fighting on a holo deck better be a good indicator that we can forge in that holo deck.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

+1 point about Theatre
-1 point about Forge

Forge's problems in Reach are mainly the setting (too ambitious) and over familiarisation with the theme.

As map editor Reach pretty much hit the peak of what's possible but as a level editor it's barely scratching the surface. 343 Need to address the need for a map editor and fan's desires for a level editor - no easy task.

If anything, I'd say Forge will be the biggest hurdle. They have to get it just right.

Little known fact: The time it takes for the shields to start recharging in Reach actually differs based on how much health you have. i.e. if you still have blue health, they will start recharging before they would if you have red health.

That seems pretty stupid.

The slow recharge rate (amongst other things) was really killing my fun in customs yesterday, sorry for just bitching about the game, I think I was just tired and grouchy after a long journey. Ill give it another shot, but I might just be better off waiting for Halo 4 now lol.

Cant wait for E3, am I right in thinking it falls on a bank holiday for us UK people?

Also I want to get Max Payne, but my xbox is messed up, I could probably get it to work but im not sure if I should go for it. :/

Arnie

Jesus christ, Juice's Diablo stream is about as exciting as that game of BTB the other day. Can't understand the hype for that game.

Jesus christ, Juice's Diablo stream is about as exciting as that game of BTB the other day. Can't understand the hype for that game.

Holy shit its fun. At one point I'm just walking around a huge ass worm pops out of the ground I'm like cool another enemy, except after I kill it it creates a cave I can go into. Fuck, this game is blowing my mind. I had to stop though after 16.5 hours. Lvl29 on Act 3.

I caught up to my old college roommates though so tomorrow Ill be cooping with two buddies on the stream. Hopefully I can finish it off.

ZalinKrow

That seems pretty stupid.

The slow recharge rate (amongst other things) was really killing my fun in customs yesterday, sorry for just bitching about the game, I think I was just tired and grouchy after a long journey. Ill give it another shot, but I might just be better off waiting for Halo 4 now lol.

Yeah the shield recharge rate has been bugging me aswell. It's just frustrating when I escape a bad encounter and take cover, just to sit there for what feels like forever, and when the other dude shows up I'm STILL one shot :p

But not even that, if they get a shot on you while your shields are still in the middle of recharging (or even close to being done) you still die in no time. Feels bad man.

Top Bottom