• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

wwm0nkey

Jesus christ, Juice's Diablo stream is about as exciting as that game of BTB the other day. Can't understand the hype for that game.

I bought Diablo III due to a large sum of my friends wanting me to. Have to say, do not like it all that much.

Yeah the shield recharge rate has been bugging me aswell. It's just frustrating when I escape a bad encounter and take cover, just to sit there for what feels like forever, and when the other dude shows up I'm STILL one shot :p

But not even that, if they get a shot on you while your shields are still in the middle of recharging (or even close to being done) you still die in no time. Feels bad man.

Yeah for me it was just making the time between encounters drag on to no end, and even when it felt like I had made a pretty good move and flanked someone, because I was still weak from an encounter which felt like a lifetime ago I couldn't attack. Game just felt tediously slow and boring to me yesterday. When we moved into Objective and stuff like bloom became an issue I totally lost interest.

ZalinKrow

Yeah for me it was just making the time between encounters drag on to no end, and even when it felt like I had made a pretty good move and flanked someone, because I was still weak from an encounter which felt like a lifetime ago I couldn't attack. Game just felt tediously slow and boring to me yesterday. When we moved into Objective and stuff like bloom became an issue I totally lost interest.

Yeah, the approach I've generally taken now is to just hold back from doing almost anything until I've full shields. When I see the bar isn't full I know I'm gonna be as good as no help to my team. Obviously there are exceptions though. But for the most part playing defensively in competitive games like that seems to work out for me more.

Yeah, the approach I've generally taken now is to just hold back from doing almost anything until I've full shields. When I see the bar isn't full I know I'm gonna be as good as no help to my team. Obviously there are exceptions though. But for the most part playing defensively in competitive games like that seems to work out for me more.

In a competitive mode holding back is sort of the norm, I tend to pick and choose my encounters but still try and get behind the other team but with Reach yeterday it was like I could kill one or two guys, but after that I had to go hide for my shields to come back. Holding back and being smart is one thing, but when the game limits you to the extent where you cant do anything, it just sucks. I also really dislike the disparity between the weapon balance, power weapons are no skill, instant kills whereas the DMR is a 5 shot weapon with lag and potentially bloom.

I could go on and on, but ill cut myself off, I think I was just tired yesterday, and I wasn't able to just sit there and sink into the game, ill give it another shot, but after not playing the game for a short while its like all the problems hit me afresh.

Gui_PT

+1 point about Theatre
-1 point about Forge

Forge's problems in Reach are mainly the setting (too ambitious) and over familiarisation with the theme.

As map editor Reach pretty much hit the peak of what's possible but as a level editor it's barely scratching the surface. 343 Need to address the need for a map editor and fan's desires for a level editor - no easy task.

If anything, I'd say Forge will be the biggest hurdle. They have to get it just right.

Ok yeah I agree

Arnie

Holy shit its fun. At one point I'm just walking around a huge ass worm pops out of the ground I'm like cool another enemy, except after I kill it it creates a cave I can go into. Fuck, this game is blowing my mind. I had to stop though after 16.5 hours. Lvl29 on Act 3.

I caught up to my old college roommates though so tomorrow Ill be cooping with two buddies on the stream. Hopefully I can finish it off.

Probably is a shit load of fun, must be due to all the attention it's getting, it's just hard to see why if you haven't played it.

When I get a new Mac I'll give it a go.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Probably is a shit load of fun, must be due to all the attention it's getting, it's just hard to see why if you haven't played it.

When I get a new Mac I'll give it a go.

I've never played the series so I gave it a go to see if it lived up to the hype.

It sure does. After the first few dungeons I was a convert.

+1 point about Theatre
-1 point about Forge

Forge's problems in Reach are mainly the setting (too ambitious) and over familiarisation with the theme.

As map editor Reach pretty much hit the peak of what's possible but as a level editor it's barely scratching the surface. 343 Need to address the need for a map editor and fan's desires for a level editor - no easy task.

If anything, I'd say Forge will be the biggest hurdle. They have to get it just right.

Nothing drastically wrong with Halo Reach's forge. The gray argument is horrible, no matter what color scheme they go with it's going to get old/repetitive after a while.

The only obvious solution to that is having multiple maps built as forge canvasses. Which I hope they do.

Overdoziz

Banned
Nothing drastically wrong with Halo Reach's forge. The gray argument is horrible, no matter what color scheme they go with it's going to get old/repetitive after a while.

The only obvious solution to that is having multiple maps built as forge canvasses. Which I hope they do.
Allowing use to change the ground texture, time of day and the color of objects would be a great step.

It'd be really disappointing if 343 doesn't go full out with Forge.

Fuchsdh

What killed the 10th doctor for me was how annoying he got near the end and how bad his ending was. So far I have no issues with the 11th except for River Song who I HATE.
To me the sixth season of Doctor Who simply wasn't as good as the fifth, which (aside from the damn underground reptiles two-parter) was consistently of a high technical, acting, and writing quality, and fit together cohesively in an interesting fantasy-flavored story arc. Six just convoluted that arc without its thematic core and essentially jumped the shark with its "Doctor Who?" reveal. I think I might be done with Who entirely if Season 7 doesn't pick up, but I still credit Moffat with being the driving force behind the best of Nu Who.

I sort of agree, mostly because Forge World was oddly limited in where you could build. The soft-kill barriers meant you couldn't forge in the forests on top of the cliffs or use that elevation for vertical maps--the practical spaces you could build in were far smaller than I'd hoped, and while it might be a bit of excessive complaining that we didn't get more out of the space, it was still frustrating.

I do agree the color scheme thing is more a symptom of Forge's underlying weaknesses, not its problem. I love the Forerunner aesthetic but in using it as the main forge pieces the strong look of it got watered down, and the colored elements on the pieces were simply too subtle--if you could have tinted the entire piece it would have been much better.

Having a choice between Forerunner, Human, and Covenant pieces and more level-editor like control would make worlds of difference. I'm not expecting them to pump out a Far Cry-like editor from nothing (considering Forge isn't anything like Far Cry) but it'd be great it they took those steps.

Hell, you could release an updated version of Forge after release that took it further to full-featured level editor as DLC and I know plenty of people would pay if it was a worthwhile upgrade.

TheOddOne

Hell, you could release an updated version of Forge after release that took it further to full-featured level editor as DLC and I know plenty of people would pay if it was a worthwhile upgrade.
I disagree about this, Forge should not be locked away behind a pay wall. It is one of Halo’s staple tools and should forever be free ― even upgrades. Even putting objects behind a pay wall is a disgusting thought.

Euro-HaloGAF, recommend me some places to travel to. Either cities with good hostels to stay in or countries/regions where wild camping is allowed. I seriously need to get out of my home town this summer. :lol

TheOddOne

Euro-HaloGAF, recommend me some places to travel to. Either cities with good hostels to stay in or countries/regions where wild camping is allowed. I seriously need to get out of my home town this summer. :lol
Go to Suriname. Watch pirated TV and get drunk on the beach.

Gui_PT

Portugal.
Nice weather, great food, hot women

TheOddOne

UGLY AVATAR
You mad.

iq3mzWVZb4Fnx.gif

wwm0nkey

I disagree about this, Forge should not be locked away behind a pay wall. It is one of Halo’s staple tools and should forever be free ― even upgrades. Even putting objects behind a pay wall is a disgusting thought.

What I think would work.

Free: On the game disc and basic map maker.
(maps using this would have a very small DL size)

Paid: All features of the "holo deck" are available allowing for custom textures and ect.
(Maps using this will have a larger DL size)

Try a small island in Greece. Nice weather most of the time and if you choose the right island, there won't be too much tourism.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Mario Party 1 is much better than 2 and 3. At least I have played Mario Party 1 much more.

Triple kills are good and so on, but the public demands overkills. I'm sorry Tashi. :(

I only submitted overkills. My clips will give this montage some credibility.

Overdoziz

Banned
What I think would work.

Paid: All features of the "holo deck" are available allowing for custom textures and ect.
Don't give them ideas, please.

TheOddOne

What I think would work.

Nope, there are tons of business perspectives which Microsoft could take with the Forge mode – but they would still be putting it unnecessarily behind a pay wall. For me, just basic principle, it should be free and nothing should be taken away from map creators.

Woorloog

Banned

Wild camping is allowed almost anywhere in Finland, IIRC. Will check it though. Not sure why you'd want to do that though. Don't know about hostels.
Finland ain't cheap though... but somehow i doubt Belgium is much cheaper.

Don't know why i recommend my country when i don't particularly like it here...

Downloading Trials Evolution trial now.

Halo 4 Forge needs to be more casual friendly, as it is making anything well is really slow. Better than Halo 3 for sure, so i can't really complain.

EDIT camping is allowed in designated areas and where land owner allows it. I'm pretty sure there are places that are not explictly designated but neither is campign illegal... Ah, i'm bad at finding info. EDIT2 actually, not sure if that was about wild camping...
EDIT3 yeah, wild camping is allowed almost everywhere. Making a fire is a bit more restricted. Must no cause any disturbance but that is given, no? And i suppose it is useful for me to refresh my knowledge what is and what is not allowed in my country...

wwm0nkey

Nope, there are tons of business perspectives which Microsoft could take with the Forge mode – but they would still be putting it unnecessarily behind a pay wall. For me, just basic principle, it should be free and nothing should be taken away from map creators.

Well there are some things you simply can not do on the consoles and I highly doubt they would release a PC app for free. Though that would be pretty damn amazing.

Fuchsdh

My point isn't that Microsoft would deliberately hobble Forge for Halo 4.

Rather, they justify continuing post-launch support and development and release an incremental update to Halo 4's Forge. That allows greater variety of maps for the game later in its lifecycle and paves the way for even more updates in the Halo 5 forge (that will be free as the initial version was.)

I don't see what's wrong with paid upgrades when it's clear active development is going on. It's no different from other DLC.

If the choice is paying 800 MSP for a more Far Cry-like editor say in 2013, and not getting anything like it until Halo 4, which would you choose?

TheOddOne

Well there are some things you simply can not do on the consoles and I highly doubt they would release a PC app for free. Though that would be pretty damn amazing.
I would love some kind of PC integration with Forge, but it is a pipe dream. Maby 343 Industries has enough muscle to do it, but I doubt it. Would be awesome indeed.

I don't see what's wrong with paid upgrades when it's clear active development is going on. It's no different from other DLC.

If the choice is paying 800 MSP for a more Far Cry-like editor say in 2013, and not getting anything like it until Halo 4, which would you choose?
Paying for development tools just feels iffy to me on a personal level. Has any dev done that before?

I understand other your points though, no beef with that.

Mario Party 1 is much better than 2 and 3. At least I have played Mario Party 1 much more.

God damn Mario party 1 gave me blisters, but was such an awesome game, loved the DK board.

Yeah the shield recharge rate has been bugging me aswell. It's just frustrating when I escape a bad encounter and take cover, just to sit there for what feels like forever, and when the other dude shows up I'm STILL one shot :p

But not even that, if they get a shot on you while your shields are still in the middle of recharging (or even close to being done) you still die in no time. Feels bad man.

One shot for two weeks. :p

Come and hang out with Irish-HaloGAF.
Just moved into my own place, have a spare bedroom for all sane travellers. Dat scenery.

Fuchsdh

I would love some kind of PC integration with Forge, but it is a pipe dream. Maby 343 Industries has enough muscle to do it, but I doubt it. Would be awesome indeed.

Paying for development tools just feels iffy to me on a personal level. Has any dev done that before?

I understand other your points though, no beef with that.

Yeah good point, even if it boils down to the same fundamental cost consideration I'm not sure of any console or even PC examples (sort of Halo: Custom Edition, but it's not really comparable) where it's been done.

I'm fine with it (probably because we'll see if I spend much time forging) but I can see where people would disagree.

Either way it's not that likely, I think.

Unless I just gave Frankie the idea.

Top Bottom