• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

From a competitive stand point, it would make sense for Microsoft's E3 conference to have a BLOPS 2 demo of blah blah blah same old Call of Duty blah blah and then have a Halo 4 blowout that melts minds.

E3 is going to be interesting. To put it mildly.
BgnJS.jpg

Ryaaan14

Banned
Based on past E3's, I really don't know what to expect other than a nice chunk of campaign. I think it would be too early to show anything with Spartan Ops, and we've already had a good taste of MP from the GI stuff.

I mean yeah of course I'm excited to see any new Halo 4 stuff, but I can't imagine what they'd show that would fuck everyone's mind up. Unless there's something crazy like a terrain editor reveal.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It just seems like most core gamers and even the gaming media now have gotten tired of it, and I doubt many people outside those two categories watch the conferences. I've got friends who play games all the time and have never heard of E3.

I don't know where that rationale is coming from. I personally don't give two shits, but last year people were foaming at the mouths over the MW3/Battlefield crap.

Overdoziz

Banned
It just seems like most core gamers and even the gaming media now have gotten tired of it, and I doubt many people outside those two categories watch the conferences. I've got friends who play games all the time and have never heard of E3.
I bet 90% of the gaming media will give Black Ops 2 a 9+

feel

Have they ever shown Halo multiplayer at E3? I don't think they have.
live demo on stage in 2004 iirc

I don't even know why they have those CoD demos. Most people watching the conference couldn't care less about CoD at this point.
That would be Kinect, noone watching a live stream of the keynote cares about Kinect, specially the ubercasual stuff they spend like an hour on. The typical COD singleplayer live demo segment usually causes quite the good impression.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Have they ever shown Halo multiplayer at E3? I don't think they have.

i'm feeling confident :)

single player demo with cutscene on stage, multiplayer trailer, multiplayer on show floor. place your bets, not many sleeps

Based on past E3's, I really don't know what to expect other than a nice chunk of campaign. I think it would be too early to show anything with Spartan Ops, and we've already had a good taste of MP from the GI stuff.

I mean yeah of course I'm excited to see any new Halo 4 stuff, but I can't imagine what they'd show that would fuck everyone's mind up. Unless there's something crazy like a terrain editor reveal.

I imagine a campaign demo, a sizzle reel and then finally a big trailer shown at the conference. Then, if I were to guess they will put out a BTS video online and press releases detailing what was revealed and official screens. Finally there should be some floor gameplay of the MP in action and maybe if we are lucky, Spartan Ops.

That may be asking for a lot, but at the same time I do find it to be really realistic.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Announcing: EXCLUSIVE HaloGAF Play Date with me, kittens!

9pm Best Coast. EXCLUSIVE COUNTDOWN.

Edit : I reserve the right to cancel if I find something better to do tonight.

Missing a lot of this thread with my internship going on. Hopefully E3 won't completely leave me in the dust...
When I was interning I often contemplated hiring my own intern. Internception.

They're due for a CoD cool kids backlash. 7's across the board.
I doubt they'd churn out enough of a turkey for any significant number of games "journalists" to give them anything lower than an 8.9.

ElRenoRaven

That's a bad thing? Besides most of those boarding encounters were not an issue as you were able to jump off before a boarding attack and hit them in the back. Made the combat more fast paced.

That was one of the few Reach additions I hated. I loved the epic boarding battles of the previous games.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
When I was interning I often contemplated hiring my own intern. Internception.

I doubt they'd churn out enough of a turkey for any significant number of games "journalists" to give them anything lower than an 8.9.

Ya ok. "IGN gives BlOps 2 a 7"
Pshhhhh tons of hits and comments.

Arnie

Frank steps out on stage and loads up The Pit remake with MLG settings. The BR's now sounds like a rifle, not a staple gun, and he makes the earth shattering world exclusive announcement that everyone's been waiting for:

Halo 4 features
a four-shottable battle rifle with a remodelled Halo 2 skin.

Crowd goes wild like the Zelda announcement of 2004. Neogaf crashes. I cry.

Frank steps out on stage and loads up The Pit remake with MLG settings. The BR's now sounds like a rifle, not a staple gun, and he makes the earth shattering world exclusive announcement that everyone's been waiting for:

Halo 4 features

I think he'd have to announce they removed loadouts, AAs, and modifications for that to happen haha.

Fuchsdh

Halo 4 features

Yeah I have to admit I was surprised by the AR skin announcement. It would have made the fanboys go for it if you got a H3-style BR skin. What are they gonna' make the AR look like? The Reach rifle would make not canonical sense (it's an Army version.)

Nah, I don't perhaps they will work this time. I know it's blasphemy here. But I'm fine with the game evolving, so long as it's balanced and fun.

I have no problem with change as long as it's balanced either but I think a huge portion of Halo fans are against anything that makes the game different from Halo 2.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I have no problem with change as long as it's balanced either but I think a huge portion of Halo fans are against anything that makes the game different from Halo 2.

I wouldn't say a "huge" portion feel that way at all. Probably just a very vocal minority.

From my experience people always bitch about the "new" iteration of a game and the "old" version immediately becomes "better." Seems to happen with every franchise. I even had a friend tell me Gears 2 was better than Gears 3 the other day. Shit is mind blowing and nostalgia is a mother fucker.

People tend to believe their "baby" is the best incarnation.

For me that's Quake 1. I will always think Quake 1 was the best where as most people liked the later iterations much more.

Fuchsdh

I wouldn't say a "huge" portion feel that way at all. Probably just a very vocal minority.

From my experience people always bitch about the "new" iteration of a game and the "old" version immediately becomes "better." Seems to happen with every franchise. I even had a friend tell me Gears 2 was better than Gears 3 the other day. Shit is mind blowing and nostalgia is a mother fucker.

For me that's Quake 1. I will always think Quake 1 was the best where as most people liked the later iterations much more.

It's not just games, it's pretty much anything. You can't really appreciate a work of art or even history without a sense of perspective brought on by time.

If Halo 4 was the greatest thing since sliced bread or the physical manifestation of Beelzebub, we wouldn't be able to say for sure for years.

I definitely agree that people often see the old iteration as better most out of nostalgia, but that is baffling that someone would say Gears 2 is better than 3, I have certainly never heard that one. Gears 3 is a good game, Gears 2 is literally unplayable online.

As for Halo, would I like for the game to be Halo 2.5? Sure, but I realize that it's not going to happen. I know there is going to be custom loadouts, perks, unlocking items through progression, but as long as the core gameplay is fun and balanced, it's really not that big of a deal to me. People freak out about perks, or choosing your starting weapon, or weapon drops, but what about the core gameplay? The people on GAF that don't like Reach (or at least find it very frustrating at times) are usually frustrated with the core gameplay, not an augmenting feature.

TLDR: If the core gameplay rocks, who gives a fuck about the rest, the game will be fun to play.

Top Bottom