• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I wouldn't say a "huge" portion feel that way at all. Probably just a very vocal minority.

From my experience people always bitch about the "new" iteration of a game and the "old" version immediately becomes "better." Seems to happen with every franchise. I even had a friend tell me Gears 2 was better than Gears 3 the other day. Shit is mind blowing and nostalgia is a mother fucker.

People tend to believe their "baby" is the best incarnation.

For me that's Quake 1. I will always think Quake 1 was the best where as most people liked the later iterations much more.

Yeah this is the case with a lot of things, but with Halo, going back to Halo 3 and 2 after Reach, it's clear they are better games and you're not blinded by nostalgia. I played Halo 2 1 v 1 with a friend a few weeks ago and I was having more fun on that then I've had with any 360 game in a while.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's not just games, it's pretty much anything. You can't really appreciate a work of art or even history without a sense of perspective brought on by time.

If Halo 4 was the greatest thing since sliced bread or the physical manifestation of Beelzebub, we wouldn't be able to say for sure for years.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying though. I'm not talking of using hindsight to judge something.

I'm talking about people's tendency to "trash" the new while claiming the old is better. Even though they bitched about the old when it replaced the previous "old."

That and people endearing themselves to an entry title and ultimately holding less interest in the subsequent titles as they age. (If Halo 2 was your first real "FPS experience" it's going to hold more meaning to you, just like my Quake 1 example).

People apparently don't like change, and I say to hell with that, especially if change can happen while maintaining balance (the big IF).

I definitely agree that people often see the old iteration as better most out of nostalgia, but that is baffling that someone would say Gears 2 is better than 3, I have certainly never heard that one. Gears 3 is a good game, Gears 2 is literally unplayable online.

Yeah, it blew me away, and it came from the best Gears player I know, seriously this guy should go pro he's that good (if there was pro for gears, lol).

Fuchsdh

That doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying though. I'm not talking of using hindsight to judge something.

I'm talking about peoples tendency to "trash" the new while claiming the old is better. Even though they bitched about the old when it replaced the previous "old."

That and people endearing themselves to an entry title and ultimately holding less interest in the subsequent titles as they age.

No, I understand that, I'm saying it's the same underlying issue. People's tastes are usually inordinately influenced by the first work, regardless of its merits in context. It's like how an actor is "the" embodiment of a fictional character--maybe someone better than Steve Downes could come along and play the Chief better, but we'd certainly feel a somewhat irrational affinity for the first and clearly "best" one.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No, I understand that, I'm saying it's the same underlying issue. People's tastes are usually inordinately influenced by the first work, regardless of its merits in context. It's like how an actor is "the" embodiment of a fictional character--maybe someone better than Steve Downes could come along and play the Chief better, but we'd certainly feel a somewhat irrational affinity for the first and clearly "best" one.

Gotcha, yeah, that's what I'm saying. I would have used Batman as an example there. But then, I can't imagine another person being Chief either... ;)

Fuchsdh

Gotcha, yeah, that's what I'm saying. I would have used Batman as an example there. But then, I can't imagine another person being Chief either... ;)

I was trying to be Halo-related, but yeah, we haven't reached that threshold. Batman is definitely one I didn't think of right away, my first thought was Sherlock Holmes or Ebenezer Scrooge--so it shows how much public broadcasting and BBC influenced by childhood development :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was trying to be Halo-related, but yeah, we haven't reached that threshold. Batman is definitely one I didn't think of right away, my first thought was Sherlock Holmes or Ebenezer Scrooge--so it shows how much public broadcasting and BBC influenced by childhood development :)

Or Dr. Who? ;)

There's been a lot of different Batman actors, so it's the first thing that came up for me. I didn't grow up with BBC though, although my dad watched Dr. Who on PBS here in the states when I was growing up, so I saw a few incarnations of the Dr.

Overdoziz

Banned
Playing Halo 2 even on XBC is miles ahead of Halo 3 and Reach.
And Halo 1 still has the best campaign 10 years later.

Fuck nostalgia.

Or Dr. Who? ;)

There's been a lot of different Batman actors, so it's the first thing that came up for me. I didn't grow up with BBC though, although my dad watched Dr. Who on PBS here in the states when I was growing up, so I saw a few incarnations of the Dr.
The Doctor Who thing is weird though as most people seem to be aware of their bias in that regard, as opposed to things like Bond or a Halo edition which are always an argument.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Fuck nostalgia.

The thing is I could go back and play Quake 1 and feel the same way in regard to Q2/Q3 and QLA (and I have). Your "nostalgia" and affinity for that game is still going to make you enjoy it more, especially if you believe you enjoy it more.

What the hell is the last of us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShP5xn9Tz90

Fuck nostalgia.

Exactly. I don't care what anyone says, Halo 2 will always be my favorite multiplayer game. Even going back to play it now on XBConnect I can still just sit in an FFA on midship just BRing and have a great time.

Fuchsdh

The Doctor Who thing is weird though as most people seem to be aware of their bias in that regard, as opposed to things like Bond or a Halo edition which are always an argument.

What annoys me are the girls of my generation who swoon over David Tennant, but refuse to see that the Moffat-era Who is of a much better technical and writing quality. It doesn't matter that Matt Smith is one odd-looking bloke even by British standards.

cWLcG.gif

Homeboyd

Like I said, they got all of the controversial stuff they knew we'd bitch about out of the way early. Let us calm a bit... And now E3 is going to be bringing eargasms and eyegasms to every little boy and girl throughout the lands. Frankie, you are our sun and our stars.

Like I said, they got all of the controversial stuff they knew we'd bitch about out of the way early. Let us calm a bit... And now E3 is going to be bringing eargasms and eyegasms to every little boy and girl throughout the lands. Frankie, you are our sun and our stars.

Well we haven't learned about specializations, or weapon modifications (rocket shooting pistol) yet so...

ElRenoRaven

The thing is I could go back and play Quake 1 and feel the same way in regard to Q2/Q3 and QLA (and I have). Your "nostalgia" and affinity for that game is still going to make you enjoy it more, especially if you believe you enjoy it more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShP5xn9Tz90

Exactly. If you objectively go back and look Halo 3 for example improved on Halo 2 in many ways. Now Reach is debatable. The only area I'd really say it improved anything was netcode. In fact I'd say Reach did take a few steps back overall minus the netcode.

Karl2177

Exactly. If you objectively go back and look Halo 3 for example improved on Halo 2 in many ways. Now Reach is debatable. The only area I'd really say it improved anything was netcode. In fact I'd say Reach did take a few steps back overall minus the netcode.
The level of customizability of Reach, I realize is something to be commended. Remember playing ODST firefight and wishing you could turn off black eye? Remember wanting to start with a Carbine in Halo 3? The bad part about how customizable it was- was realizing how customizable it could be. It really sucks that bloom is in fact customizable, but not on a player level basis.

Otherwise I generally agree with your statement/conclusion. :)

Reach was an improvement in every area other than gameplay and theater mode. Obviously they missed with the most important aspect, but the UI, netcode, customization, and features in Reach crush any other Halo game.

789shadow

Banned
Reach has insane amounts of customization and content. It deserves to be commended. However, it needed to make sure that people couldn't ruin the game through their customization.

Player feedback and overall tightness of the controls are dramatically better in Reach, but hampered by frame lag.

Yeah, aiming in Halo 3 feels like I'm fighting the controller in comparison, although both are blown out of the water of Halo 2 controls simply because there is no aim acceleration.

Reach blows all the previous games out of the water in pretty much every technical category. Interesting, I feel the technical leap from 3 to Reach is arguably more than from 2 to 3, which is especially impressive given that Halo 2 to 3 was a console leap.

The most drastic gameplay improvement in Reach is definitely player feedback. Everything from getting shot to shooting others.

ElRenoRaven

Reach has insane amounts of customization and content. It deserves to be commended. However, it needed to make sure that people couldn't ruin the game through their customization.

When it comes to customization yes Reach is an improvement. However I'm talking mainly competitive multiplayer. The slowing down of player movement, lack of real ability to dodge, vehicles, etc were all steps backward. Then armor abilites, etc are the big debatable part. Some loved them some hated them. To me equipment and the progression to Armor abilites was a vast step back. I just wasn't a fan of either. However equipment was more limited in use then armor abilites which everyone has. At least with equipment it came down to control and knowing when to use them due to the limited nature of them.

Player feedback and overall tightness of the controls are dramatically better in Reach, but hampered by frame lag.

Actually I can't see onE thing Halo 3 did better besides base speed, no bloom, jump height, no AAs, and better map selection. Party Theater is debatable, but I felt that is was a mess network wise.

You just listed 4 things there alone. Then I'd add vehicles as I mentioned above. Yes they were almost as useless due to that damn Spartan Laser but they didn't flip or turn over if a light breeze hit them like in Reach. Keep in mind I'm not saying everything Reach did was a step back. Just some things it did.

Decided to play some Reach. Hopped in Social Slayer.
Instantly my team mates all quit leaving me 4-1.
Makes me want to play this game all the more.

Is Tashi even allowed to play past Halo 3?

EDIT: Super Slayer.

You played Social Slayer in Reach?

Are you a wizard?

Super Slayer, my bad.

Next game 25-0. Untouchable.
Teammate comes up and gravity hammers me in the back to end my perfection.
Why do I even bother?

It really is a classic game of Halo Reach.
Ignorants running with tunnel vision towards power weapons.
Instant jetpack flying once spawned. Sprint melee'ing.

ignorant is not a noun, but I made it one.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Who is GODSLAYER1239? He just sent me a friend request. Is he another guy who found our gamertags? Because I want to troll him.

Karl2177

Who is GODSLAYER1239? He just sent me a friend request. Is he another guy who found our gamertags? Because I want to troll him.

Yarrr, he be a 0.72 K/D kid with a 63% loss rate. Judging by his service record, he only plays Zombies. Start doing the ultimate dickhead troll saying you have to have a 1.75 K/D to be on your FL and he's got a long ass ways to go.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yarrr, he be a 0.72 K/D kid with a 63% loss rate. Judging by his service record, he only plays Zombies. Start doing the ultimate dickhead troll saying you have to have a 1.75 K/D to be on your FL and he's got a long ass ways to go.

Sounds good to me.
I hope this doesn't turn out to be someone I know irl

Fracas

#fuckonami
In any case, he bad.

I sent him a message saying "only pros can be on my friend list" and he replied with "fuck off, parker lol" (Parker's my name)

Holy shit what is happening here. Although he probably just saw my name on my profile.

Still unfriending whoever this is

Karl2177

I sent him a message saying "only pros can be on my friend list" and he replied with "fuck off, parker lol" (Parker's my name)

Holy shit what is happening here. Although he probably just saw my name on my profile.

Still unfriending whoever this is

That reminds me something I was going to ask HaloGAF about. I was thinking of switching my name on the console to be Karl. If you know me irl or even bother to look me up on Google, you would know that my name is in fact Patrick. This way if someone did something like that(^) I would instantly know that they were completely random. Otherwise they would call me Patrick(or I would know if they were from GAF or something). Should I switch it?

Fracas

#fuckonami
That reminds me something I was going to ask HaloGAF about. I was thinking of switching my name on the console to be Karl. If you know me irl or even bother to look me up on Google, you would know that my name is in fact Patrick. This way if someone did something like that(^) I would instantly know that they were completely random. Otherwise they would call me Patrick(or I would know if they were from GAF or something). Should I switch it?

Personally I wouldn't bother, as a scenario like that doesn't happen that often.

Totally up to you though

A while ago this kid was talking trash to me about my K/D spread.
He had like a 2.5 or something ridiculous.
I go look at his game history, 40+ pages of only Zombies.
His most used weapons were Pistol, Sword, and Shotgun.

IDK how someone can find that fun, I can only assume he does it to boost his K/D spread.

Fracas

#fuckonami
A while ago this kid was talking trash to me about my K/D spread.
He had like a 2.5 or something ridiculous.
I go look at his game history, 40+ pages of only Zombies.
His most used weapons were Pistol, Sword, and Shotgun.

IDK how someone can find that fun, I can only assume he does it to boost his K/D spread.

K/D boosting is what I assume to be the main reason people play Living Dead. If you're a human just one round, you're instantly guaranteed 5-10+ kills already.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
what are the odds multiplayer will be on the show floor?

Hopefully a big chance. I remember the off-screen footage that randomly popped up when the press got to play the Halo 3 Beta, I enjoyed the hell out of those videos. Hoping for the same with Halo 4.

CyReN

I loved Halo 2 zombies on Foundation with getting the boxes in the doorway and all that stuff, besides that I disliked it in Halo 3/Reach.

I loved Halo 2 zombies on Foundation with getting the boxes in the doorway and all that stuff, besides that I disliked it in Halo 3/Reach.

That was the shit man.
But I think its because you had to be creative with the maps.
Now you're spoon fed routes and hiding places in Zombies..

TCKaos

Yes, without the stripes the armor looks... wrong somehow.

I'm pretty sure it's because of the colored under-armor. The Mjolnir has a great deal more black to put some space between the colored armor plating. I mean, this is even visible on the Chief's new design, leading me to believe this Mjolnir Mark VI Model 2 is a different beast than what I assume is the Mjolnir Mark VII.

The armor used by the IVs has a bunch of thinner colored armor plates below the primary armor and reduces the visibility of the black under-armor. The white stripes break up the color a bit more and lead to more variation. I personally don't like this design and hope that we can change it a bit.

wwm0nkey

That was the shit man.
But I think its because you had to be creative with the maps.
Now you're spoon fed routes and hiding places in Zombies..

This is where Halo 3 and Halo Reach zombies failed. In zombies we NEED to be able to build barricades by working together. I remember awhile ago suggesting a system for buying barricades that over time could be destroyed by the zombies. It would be sweet but something tells me zombies mode will suck yet again.

Good games Kittens.

What annoys me are the girls of my generation who swoon over David Tennant, but refuse to see that the Moffat-era Who is of a much better technical and writing quality. It doesn't matter that Matt Smith is one odd-looking bloke even by British standards.

cWLcG.gif

It's tough for me, I feel like the Moffat era has the edge on special effects, sets, props, and even overall acting, but the Russel T. Davies era had probably something like 3 of the 5 best episodes of the show (those 3 being written by Moffat...but still).

Top Bottom