• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

"You will be the protector of Earth, and all her precious milk chocolate".

I was looking at the screen shots they have on the dashboard's Game Marketplace entry for Halo 4. I just can't shake the feeling that the FOV is smaller than Reach when looking at that shot of the BR. It would make sense that they lowered the FOV to get the game to run at true 720p.
You move faster so yes, it's a possibility.

FyreWulff

If even half the encounters in H4 are on Halo 3's level, GOTY confirmed

If there's going to be versus Scarab encounters again, no flying vehicles. The first Scarab encounter in Halo 3 was "wtf this is certainly new and challenging".

The final encounter against two Scarabs (OMG!).. is just get in the Hornet and circle strafe until dead. ODST's encounter with the Scarab was also too easily cheeseable (and practically begs you to do it anyway), the Scarabs along the highway were scarier and more interesting even though you didn't actually engage any of them.

"You will be the protector of Earth, and all her precious milk chocolate".

I was looking at the screen shots they have on the dashboard's Game Marketplace entry for Halo 4. I just can't shake the feeling that the FOV is smaller than Reach when looking at that shot of the BR. It would make sense that they lowered the FOV to get the game to run at true 720p.

I'm guessing they just reduced the range of the HDR even more.

Fuchsdh

Woo, montage today, can't wait! Should be good.

Coincidentally, I'm "working" on finishing my own montage, which means leaving my laptop on all night to render a title sequence in AfterEffects. It's a 35 second clip that's been going for almost 8 hours, with about 40 more hours to go. Considering just giving up and making something in Windows Movie Maker at this point.

God good man, what's your rig like?

(Although I just spent 15 hours rendering out a stream of particles for an animation at work, and that was on a Quad 2.5 GHz Mac Pro tower with 22 GB of RAM. I think work cheaped out on the GPU.)

If there's going to be versus Scarab encounters again, no flying vehicles. The first Scarab encounter in Halo 3 was "wtf this is certainly new and challenging".

The final encounter against two Scarabs (OMG!).. is just get in the Hornet and circle strafe until dead.

You mean get in the Mongoose and launch yourself off the ramp onto the Scarab, fight your way to the back, blow up the core, get back on the moongoose and launch off the back right as it explodes like a fuckin' boss

FyreWulff

You mean get in the Mongoose and launch yourself off the ramp onto the Scarab, fight your way to the back, blow up the core, get back on the moongoose and launch off the back right as it explodes like a fuckin' boss

Yeah, I don't have a real good history with Mongoose jumps

You're only applying the multi-approach application to one of the encounters and not the other one. There are more ways to take down two scarabs that are fun and possible(on Legenedary even) than just using the Hornet/Banshee. They have side seats for a reason ;)

There's 3 encounters in Halo 3. The Storm, The Ark, and The Covenant. Ark's was pretty good too. I just think being allowed to use flying vehicles against the Scarab is just too easy, even on Legendary. Their AA abilities are a joke.

Karl2177

The final encounter against two Scarabs (OMG!).. is just get in the Hornet and circle strafe until dead. ODST's encounter with the Scarab was also too easily cheeseable (and practically begs you to do it anyway), the Scarabs along the highway were scarier and more interesting even though you didn't actually engage any of them.

You're only applying the multi-approach application to one of the encounters and not the other one. There are more ways to take down two scarabs that are fun and possible(on Legenedary even) than just using the Hornet/Banshee. They have side seats for a reason ;)

On my last run of Halo 3 I decided to take out both Scarabs by primarily using a Wraith (on Heroic). Something I had never done before. IIRC, it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. The Wraith can't turn on a dime and it's quite vulnerable in the back. Given the two Scarabs, the Banshees flying around, and the vehicles on the ground, you have to be paranoid about where you're going to get shot from next. Must've died a dozen times before I got it right.

Hornets are a flip of the coin for me. Half of the time when I land on one of the Scarabs they survive for me to use alter, the other half they either fall off or get destroyed or I'm forced to abandon them.

GhaleonEB

My favorite Scarab moment is from a battle with the one on The Ark. Tossed a grav lift down on on the top of the central structure, boosted my Chopper over it, and landed right in the middle of the Scarab, scoring an overkill with splatters. Felt so, well, epic.

My favorite Scarab moment is from a battle with the one on The Ark. Tossed a grav lift down on on the top of the central structure, boosted my Chopper over it, and landed right in the middle of the Scarab, scoring an overkill with splatters. Felt so, well, epic.

That's what was so great about Halo. Literally ANYTHING can happen.

iDkkp.jpg

Three hours.

Played a marathon of Reach with some buddies last night. Good times.

You know, for as much criticism as the game gets (some earned, some not)... if a better console FPS has been released in the time since, I haven't played it.

UUUUUUUGHHH

I was hoping for around 8-10 minutes, I don't want to see 15 clips by every member, will have to pass.

1 clip per member x 54 contributors (with a few group clips thrown in for good measure)

Just under 14 minutes. Did my best to keep it short, but didn't want to sacrifice quality or participation.

I mean if you really want me to shorten it I can always delete your clip. :p

Pretty sure he said it'd be just over 10 minutes.

That was before I added the four-minute Starwolf tribute.

Not sure if serious.

Pretty sure he said it'd be just over 10 minutes.

1 clip per member x 54 contributors (with a few group clips thrown in for good measure)

Just under 14 minutes. Did my best to keep it short, but didn't want to sacrifice quality or participation.

I think he meant 3 hours until its finished lol

Nice one, Letters. :lol

feel

^ reading quoted text is a lost art :p

I wouldn't mind, as a quick clip in a comp without explanation/context it will look like just a pretty shitty triple kill.

Retro

I wouldn't mind, as a quick clip in a comp without explanation/context it will look like just a pretty shitty triple kill.

Psh, if mine even made the cut, all I've got is a weak ass Killtacular thanks entirely to the poor spawns on Uncaged.

Too bad I didn't belong to GAF when 3 was big, I actually had some decent films for that.

Overdoziz

Banned
Psh, if mine even made the cut, all I've got is a weak ass Killtacular thanks entirely to the poor spawns on Uncaged.

Too bad I didn't belong to GAF when 3 was big, I actually had some decent films for that.
I removed all the clips I had a few days before Duncan announced the montage. :/

Im still bummed I didn't submit a clip for the montage, but I didn't really have anything saved to submit so its not like I missed out on sharing something epic.. Well I do have a funny mongoose clip, but that wouldn't have worked, haha.

So I said I was going to mockup a Majestic Squid emblem, and here it is. Sorry for posting it so late at night, but this is what happens when I'm bored and have Illustrator.

5WT0g.png

edit: is there any way to get transparencies working for avatars on gaf? right now I just have the background the same color as the page, but apparently it doesn't work too well, since it's showing up white on other threads.

This should be an emblem in Halo 4.

Striker

Forge didn't improve much(yes yes it's all gray so you could argue it's also a step back) so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Did you use Halo 3's Forge? Shit was frustrating just to create a single line of blocks, especially in Sandbox. You had to save and exit all the time, re-start the rounds, and go through hurdle after hurdle to get any ounce of geometry to merge. Even that might not work perfectly because there's no parameters to set. It would take hours on end for several days to complete a simple task you can do in Reach's Forge that can take 3 minutes.

Now you can complain about the Forerunner aesthetics, but any theme/setting will get extremely old once it is out for years and is the only option we've got. All three settings in the Forge mode we've gotten so far have not been appealing whatsoever. Unless you're telling me the puke green and ugly orange/brown in Sandbox were a delight to see.

Did you use Halo 3's Forge? Shit was frustrating just to create a single line of blocks, especially in Sandbox. You had to save and exit all the time, re-start the rounds, and go through hurdle after hurdle to get any ounce of geometry to merge. Even that might not work perfectly because there's no parameters to set. It would take hours on end for several days to complete a simple task you can do in Reach's Forge that can take 3 minutes.

Now you can complain about the Forerunner aesthetics, but any theme/setting will get extremely old once it is out for years and is the only option we've got. All three settings in the Forge mode we've gotten so far have not been appealing whatsoever. Unless you're telling me the puke green and ugly orange/brown in Sandbox were a delight to see.

I think one of the worst parts of that whole constant round-restarting process was the unwritten "anti-poopsocking" rule put into Halo 3's forge, whether it was intentional or just due to RAM constrictions or something: you could spend a maximum of 100 rounds forging, potentially less if you did a lot per any given round. After that, rather than start a new round, it instantly went GAME OVER and you lost anything you hadn't saved up until that point. It was horrible because you could very easily go through hundreds of rounds for more intricate maps. I don't know if Reach has the same problem, but it's not as much of a problem because you can cram about a few thousands of rounds into one session if you really want to because of interlocking, geomerging, etc. built-in to Forge this time around.

FyreWulff

I think one of the worst parts of that whole constant round-restarting process was the unwritten "anti-poopsocking" rule put into Halo 3's forge, whether it was intentional or just due to RAM constrictions or something: you could spend a maximum of 100 rounds forging, potentially less if you did a lot per any given round. After that, rather than start a new round, it instantly went GAME OVER and you lost anything you hadn't saved up until that point. It was horrible because you could very easily go through hundreds of rounds for more intricate maps. I don't know if Reach has the same problem, but it's not as much of a problem because you can cram about a few thousands of rounds into one session if you really want to because of interlocking, geomerging, etc. built-in to Forge this time around.

It was even lower than that, 32 rounds before the game would suddenly end. They actually apologized about that, although when they were making the game they obviously didn't know people would need a bunch of rounds to be able to abuse a glitch easily :p

Also yeah, loading up H3 Forge now is like "How in the fuck did I use this"

Just seen a Blops 2 advert during the Champions League final half-time. If I don't see a Halo 4 advert during the Euro final then I'll consider the advertising campaign to be small time and minnow-like.

Top Bottom