• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Is this a joke? Is the giant energy shield bubble/burst and loud clang not enough to let you know they're one-shot/melee-able?

Not for me, in general I dislike the shield bar which depletes from both sides, makes it harder to read, as much as everyone here goes on about how easy Reach is to read I personally can never tell what state my (or opponents) shields are in unless they are 1 shot. Halo 3 had this weird visual way of showing the shield level of opponents which I havent noticed with Reach. The LED's on the Spartan seem to shimmer more the lower the shield level, great little indicator. The gameplay was also easier to keep track of, (in my opinion) 5 shots means that mentally its harder to keep tabs on the shield level of the opponent, sounds silly but for me I dont even bother trying to keep track of how many shots I put on someone in Reach between all the other B.S. it rarely matters.

Trey

3 melee hits

Or

Melee designed in a way where its still a 2 hit kill, and first hit knocks out shields. But it has this delay on it where its actually faster to try and shoot after than do a second melee.

The big problem with melee's isn't really the amount, but the fact that someone can sprint up to you and double melee. Which I can only blame lunge (praise CE all you want, but lunge needs to be in for connection reasons, I'm all for a reduction of it though.) no bleed through, and sprint.

But mainly no bleedthrough.

Ideally, I want shields to be able to communicate a few things. As someone takes damage their shield layer can get bigger and brighter. And if they are one melee away from death, perhaps sparks or some kind of indicator will show up. Once they are no shields there is a distinctive pop.

God, I hate lunge. Worst thing ever implemented in Halo, mostly because it's somewhat necessary but still so, so shitty.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Because in Reach, the shield bar depletes from both sides; Halo 3 it only depletes from one side. It's easier to tell if it's only coming from one side. Is that your reasoning?

If yes internet_fistbump.jpg
We're talking about the shield burst which was very obvious and bright in H3.

But yes that is also annoying.

Trey

I haven't played Reach in months (IIRC disclaimer) but isn't there some kind of static rippling effect on a player that's shieldless? I distinctly recall it being very clear if someone could get domed or not.

Woorloog

Banned
I haven't played Reach in months (IIRC disclaimer) but isn't there some kind of static rippling effect on a player that's shieldless? I distinctly recall it being very clear if someone could get domed or not.

Yeah, the shield, umm, lack of shield causes sparkling but it ain't easy to detect in all conditions. Overall however, i like the visual feedback in Reach, i just don't like the HUD's shield meter, it is too close to skyblue like the rest of HUD.

And people, get in Reach.

Also, prefer melee bleedthrough in Reach, bullet bleedthrough is good in other games but no in Reach, IMO.

The shield pop in Reach is brighter and more obvious-er than in H3. I seem to recall Bungie mentioning that they wanted to make the shield pop more apparent in one of their vidocs.

Is there like a common gamertag I should add if I wanna play some Reach with GAF?

Also, so I'm not just asking a stupid question, I really miss the Halo 3 player models. They were so clean, but they were way less cartoony than the ones in Reach. They looked excellent. Not sure how I feel about 4's yet, I think I need to see some different helmets before I formulate an opinion there.

Yeah, the shield, umm, lack of shield causes sparkling but it ain't easy to detect in all conditions. Overall however, i like the visual feedback in Reach, i just don't like the HUD's shield meter, it is too close to skyblue like the rest of HUD.

And people, get in Reach.

Also, prefer melee bleedthrough in Reach, bullet bleedthrough is good in other games but no in Reach, IMO.

I really hate how the shield bar moves in Reach. It gives you the idea that you have way more shield than you actually have. Luckily, it already seems to be fixed in Halo 4.

EDIT: Damn, I completely derailed the topic. I was trying to talk about bleedthrough, not the shield indicators compared to Reach/3.

Is this a joke? Is the giant energy shield bubble/burst and loud clang not enough to let you know they're one-shot/melee-able?
I didn't mean the indicators so much as the combat philosophy. I love the way the shields get brighter until they pop in Reach, but I meant with 3 you could at least have some semblance of consistent strategy beyond accuracy one-on-one against people. You can still blain people in Reach but you're just 3/4/5-shotting or sprint-meleeing most of the time. It's why I stick to Hologram so much, because it adds another layer of depth to fights and lets you be a bit creative.

Blueblur1

The shield indicator is not as obvious as it was in H3.

Because in Reach, the shield bar depletes from both sides; Halo 3 it only depletes from one side. It's easier to tell if it's only coming from one side. Is that your reasoning?

If yes internet_fistbump.jpg

I agree with these comments. I prefer the shield bar and effects used in Halo 3. Combined with the glowing white lights on the Mark VI armor, it was really easy to tell if a player had received any damage at all in Halo 3. And I hate that damn clang sound effect.

Retro

So, since things are slow I figured I would ask something hypothetical.. Would people want DLC packs for Halo 4 to be themed? Say one set on a Halo ring, one set in New Mombasa, etc? There could still be a individual variety between each maps aesthetics, but they simple share a theme.. I think it could be cool, although I think I would rather just have a huge variety each tied to something different.

I'd be perfectly fine with this, so long as the themes that they pick are actually decent. I'd be okay if we never revisit Forgeworld or Sandtrap-themed maps again, for example.

I was watching the Halo 3 Montage and to be honest, Guardian's aesthetic really jumped out at me. I wouldn't mind seeing Overgrown Jungle Forerunner stuff again. I'd also be okay if we got more maps with environments like rain or night (Blackout). Wraparound looks like it will be very sky-based, so that's kinda cool.

Hell, give us a Forerunner station deep beneath a planet's crust, filled with lava and stuff. I'd love to see a return of maps with pseudo-objectives like Zanzibar or High Ground's gates.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd be perfectly fine with this, so long as the themes that they pick are actually decent. I'd be okay if we never revisit Forgeworld or Sandtrap-themed maps again, for example.

I was watching the Halo 3 Montage and to be honest, Guardian's aesthetic really jumped out at me. I wouldn't mind seeing Overgrown Jungle Forerunner stuff again. I'd also be okay if we got more maps with environments like rain or night (Blackout). Wraparound looks like it will be very sky-based, so that's kinda cool.

Hell, give us a Forerunner station deep beneath a planet's crust, filled with lava and stuff. I'd love to see a return of maps with pseudo-objectives like Zanzibar or High Ground's gates.

Mmm, sounds so good. Dammit, i have enough good ideas already, now i have even more!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How did you get all those perfections when you can't even see the shields popping clearly?!?!
I pay more attention to the text telling me I've killed or the score.
I agree with these comments. I prefer the shield bar and effects used in Halo 3. Combined with the glowing white lights on the Mark VI armor, it was really easy to tell if a player had received any damage at all in Halo 3. And I hate that damn clang sound effect.
Thank you, also I have the sound low so I never hear any clang.

Fuchsdh

The overgrown jungle was great in part because we never got to see it in campaign (lost Strato-Sentinel fight)... I also liked the Forerunner ruins from Halo 2, although they never really made sense (the Forerunners built structures on their ringworlds and then busted them down for dramatic effect?)

Looking at High Noon/Hang 'em High + the Halo 3 and CEA Forerunner stuff makes me appreciate the level design even more. Sure, it's the same basic stuff as Forge World but it's unified in a refreshing way. Then you go back to FW and no matter how well the map is built, it's always going to feel "cookie-cutter".

The really sleek Forerunner stuff it looks like we'll be getting in Halo 4 looks cool, but I hope they don't abandoned the established visual design either.

This would be cool. I remember how awesome High Ground seemed back during the H3 Beta.

I also like the Lava idea. I think 4 should toy with the map lighting some more. I like how bright and shiny the Forerunner map seems (can't remember the name...), and I think an underground map with some lighting like Mustafar from Star Wars would be really cool and let the artists play around a lot more.

If three DLC packs are tied to the LE of H4 then that means there'll have to be a forth pack to tie to the inevitable Halo 'side project' that releases Fall 2013. Don't worry Fyre, you yourself know how map packs are tied to game releases to force you to buy them. Forth map pack confirmed.

The overgrown jungle was great in part because we never got to see it in campaign (lost Strato-Sentinel fight)... I also liked the Forerunner ruins from Halo 2, although they never really made sense (the Forerunners built structures on their ringworlds and then busted them down for dramatic effect?)

If you're talking about Burial Mounds, I think it was getting impacted by debris from Alpha Halo blowing up shortly beforehand.

Looking at High Noon/Hang 'em High + the Halo 3 and CEA Forerunner stuff makes me appreciate the level design even more. Sure, it's the same basic stuff as Forge World but it's unified in a refreshing way. Then you go back to FW and no matter how well the map is built, it's always going to feel "cookie-cutter".

The really sleek Forerunner stuff it looks like we'll be getting in Halo 4 looks cool, but I hope they don't abandoned the established visual design either.

I agree. I always come across a lot of forged maps in matchmaking nowadays that seem really cool, but they always seem so hard to follow and focus on because the aesthetic is just so...blah. For a map to really come alive it needs to have some kind of uniqueness to it, and when the majority of the maps we play are, in a basic sense, just different layouts of the same thing, it gets a little dull.

I really hope that the H4 team maybe takes a look at taking some of the user created content from Reach and bringing it alive with its own aesthetic.

TheOddOne

If three DLC packs are tied to the LE of H4 then that means there'll have to be a forth pack to tie to the inevitable Halo 'side project' that releases Fall 2013. Don't worry Fyre, you yourself know how map packs are tied to game releases to force you to buy them. Forth map pack confirmed.
Season pass still has to be announced.

Retro

Mmm, sounds so good. Dammit, i have enough good ideas already, now i have even more!

So given that the CE for H4 gives you 9 maps free, can we assume they come in groups of 3? So, theme wise we could have Human, Covenant and Forerunner themes.

Humans could have an urban-themed map (Turf, Boardwalk, Ivory Tower), a training-ground style map (Pit, Zanzibar, Foundation) and a UNSC Base (Countdown, Rat's Nest).

Covenant could be Midship-style stuff, but also stuff like Snowbound where there's a covenant installation in another environment. In fact, I think it might be really badass to have a version of Guardian where it's Covenant architecture in an overgrown jungle. That mix of purple and green would be really interesting.

Forerunner can be Ruin-style (Waterworks, Sanctuary) some really sharp forerunner interiors (Epitaph, Colossus), and then Installation-on-surface style (Valhalla, Relic).

I think an underground map with some lighting like Mustafar from Star Wars would be really cool and let the artists play around a lot more.

Oh.
My.
God.

Waterworks... but with Lava.

If you're talking about Burial Mounds, I think it was getting impact by debris from Alpha Halo blowing up shortly beforehand.

I think he meant stuff like Sanctuary or Warlock, where stuff looked like it was made from brick and mortar. Delta Halo had a very... odd, non-forerunner look.

Woorloog

Banned
Fuck Reach when you try to play solo. I get matched with 3 player party against a pull party.
Fuck that. Halo 4 should not have as many playlists as Reach but it definetly needs party vs party matching AND a Mercenary playlist (but if it won't be popular, get rid of it).
Fuck this shit.

EDIT Rumble is not an option when solo as the opponents are way too varied. Sometimes i get total noobs, sometimes pros. And sometime one pro, the rest noobs. Not good.

So given that the CE for H4 gives you 9 maps free, can we assume they come in groups of 3? So, theme wise we could have Human, Covenant and Forerunner themes.

Humans could have an urban-themed map (Turf, Boardwalk, Ivory Tower), a training-ground style map (Pit, Zanzibar, Foundation) and a UNSC Base (Countdown, Rat's Nest).

Covenant could be Midship-style stuff, but also stuff like Snowbound where there's a covenant installation in another environment. In fact, I think it might be really badass to have a version of Guardian where it's Covenant architecture in an overgrown jungle. That mix of purple and green would be really interesting.

Forerunner can be Ruin-style (Waterworks, Sanctuary) some really sharp forerunner interiors (Epitaph, Colossus), and then Installation-on-surface style (Valhalla, Relic).

Oh.
My.
God.

Waterworks... but with Lava.

I think he meant stuff like Sanctuary or Warlock, where stuff looked like it was made from brick and mortar
I rather have a mix of all 3 in each map pack

FyreWulff

Or Mattrick pass owners get the third Cross Marketing Synergy Pack a month early before everyone has to buy it with Halo 2: Boogaloo.

I'm honestly expecting all 3 packs to be out before the day E3 2013 starts though.

Visual Continuity has always been very hit and miss between the halo games, Im not sure if art leads changed or they just explored the tech more but some very obvious examples are.

Brutes (wookie>ape>rhino)
Human Structures (h2 Mombasa>Voi>ODST Mombasa)
UNSC marines (space marine>olive drab armour>ghost recon)

Hopefully 343i Nail down the art design starting with Halo 4 going forward, Personally id like.

New hairy brute design mix of the current 3
ODST Mombasa/New Alexandria Human architecture
Ghost Recon with hints of Halo 1 Marines

Guardian is a sexy looking map.

J10

Banned
I also liked the Forerunner ruins from Halo 2, although they never really made sense (the Forerunners built structures on their ringworlds and then busted them down for dramatic effect?)

If you've read Primodium,
you know humans have lived on at least one ring. Maybe environments like Sanctuary were built by them (or some other sentient species). The stone block aesthetic really doesn't look like anything else the Forerunner built, so it they probably didn't.

Retro

I rather have a mix of all 3 in each map pack

Well, we were just spitballing how each map-pack could be themed, and that seemed like a good place to start. Obviously the Covenant-themed back wouldn't be all-purple all-the-time as there are covey maps like Snowbound that used the purple sparingly.

But yeah, I would be okay if they went really off-the-wall with themes. Maybe something like the "Lavaworks" map, something like Avalanche, and then a floating platform-style map (Lockout) set on an ice-encrusted Oil rig with all sorts of flame geysers. Call it "A Mappack of Ice and Fire"
JUWnj.gif

Lavaworks. FUND IT.

Also, can I just say that not getting a Pit remake will make me very upset? Make it all dilapidated and abandoned and stuff. It'd be cool.

As long as they don't have the upstairs rooms, I would love for the Pit to come back in any style. Probably my favorite map in H3.
Might be cool to have it looking abandoned, as you say, but I also wouldn't mind if it took on a high-tech look. Sort of a Portal / Danger Room theme, with little observation decks or windows people can watch from, etc.

I miss EVERY halo 3 map (maybe not you orbital you suck)

Orbital was fun sometimes. it just seemed way bigger than it needed to be. It was small enough that a lot of the fighting was very focused on waiting for your team to all be together and charging the enemy, and I found that somewhat enjoyable, especially in AR gametypes.

Top Bottom