• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Gui_PT

Warhouse could be infinitely cooler if there were interactive elements.

- Shoot out a switch to vent certain rooms to the vacuum of space, blowing everyone onto the outer platforms until the pressure equalizes. Doing so would also activate shield doors, so you could blow the switch just to keep a room safe, with the added risk of opening a big ass door to the outside and having people get blown out for a few seconds.

Imagine you're chasing down a flag carrier and pop the pressure in the room and he's blown outside. With no cover, you put him down quite easily. Then you slide back into the room, using the shield doors to force the enemy to come in after you.

- Maybe throw a switch and the platform the Cyclops is being built on can raise and lower, maybe even opening up the entire top of the station to fight on, or at least giving you a raised platform to shoot down from.

- Maybe a room you can break the gravity controls in; suddenly all the crates and such that were cover are up on the ceiling and frag grenades are all floaty. Maybe re-activate gravity to drop some crates onto people?

- Also, security monitors on terminals and such could show real-time footage so locking down a Control Room would actually let you sit and watch where people are at.

untitled-1x3a10.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just finished my last day of high school. No class tomorrow, then graduation practice for an hour on Wednesday and Thursday. Graduating Friday.

feelsgoodman.png

Retro

duuuuudeeee, wut

Based on what we've seen so far, it looks like another symmetrical space station map. We've played a bunch of them before, but with the exception of low-grav parts of Anchor 9 and the central room of Condemned, there's never really been a sense that you're out in space. Was just thinking it might be cool if you could de-pressurize rooms to blow everyone in them to an outer area.

The Pit is OK I guess. It's popularity made it boring when everybody always voted for it. Not every match needs to be a super symmetrical fight to the death. Ghost Town is better.

Yeah I feel like The Pit is pretty damn overrated for slayer. It's very slow for slayer because of how much the two sides are separated because of the giant wall. Very awesome for flag though.

Trey

Warhouse could be infinitely cooler if there were interactive elements.

- Shoot out a switch to vent certain rooms to the vacuum of space, blowing everyone onto the outer platforms until the pressure equalizes. Doing so would also activate shield doors, so you could blow the switch just to keep a room safe, with the added risk of opening a big ass door to the outside and having people get blown out for a few seconds.

Imagine you're chasing down a flag carrier and pop the pressure in the room and he's blown outside. With no cover, you put him down quite easily. Then you slide back into the room, using the shield doors to force the enemy to come in after you.

- Maybe throw a switch and the platform the Cyclops is being built on can raise and lower, maybe even opening up the entire top of the station to fight on, or at least giving you a raised platform to shoot down from.

- Maybe a room you can break the gravity controls in; suddenly all the crates and such that were cover are up on the ceiling and frag grenades are all floaty. Maybe re-activate gravity to drop some crates onto people?

- Also, security monitors on terminals and such could show real-time footage so locking down a Control Room would actually let you sit and watch where people are at.

For Invasion/Spops, let's do it. Bit too much for conventional Slayer, but I like the experimentation.

Fuck the haters!

Just finished my last day of high school. No class tomorrow, then graduation practice for an hour on Wednesday and Thursday. Graduating Friday.

feelsgoodman.png

Adorable little guy.
/alsoababy

It was in the super super early days, back before the method was all over GameFAQs. Back when I got it it was still a word of mouth thing.

Actually...I can't even remember how to get it. I just assumed since I had it it must've been easy.

Halo CE: Infinity, Boarding Action, Blood Gulch (Chiron gets an honorable mention for being fun when you're not taking multi seriously and NEVER getting remade)
Halo 2: Waterworks, Colossus/Terminal, Containment
Halo 3: Avalanche, Sandtrap, Guardian (Honorable mention to Narrows for some ridiculously stupid but fun Forge variants that I'd spend hours playing)
Halo Reach: Reflection, Breakneck, Spire

Halo CE: Infinity, Boarding Action, Blood Gulch (Chiron gets an honorable mention for being fun when you're not taking multi seriously and NEVER getting remade)
Halo 3: Avalanche, Sandtrap, Guardian (Honorable mention to Narrows for some ridiculously stupid but fun Forge variants that I'd spend hours playing)

Albatross Hill holla!

Fracas

#fuckonami
My favorite Halo maps: Last Resort, The Pit, Guardian, Blood Gulch, Powerhouse, Valhalla, Sidewinder, Headlong

I should say, I barely got to play Halo 2's multiplayer.

Wait, wat?

Based on what we've seen so far, it looks like another symmetrical space station map. We've played a bunch of them before, but with the exception of low-grav parts of Anchor 9 and the central room of Condemned, there's never really been a sense that you're out in space. Was just thinking it might be cool if you could de-pressurize rooms to blow everyone in them to an outer area.
Switchable gravity actually sounds good but blowing people into outer space is just... too much.

Like Trey said maybe we will be getting some basic scripts to use in Forge: doors, switches... that was sadly scrapped from Reach :(

Risen

What's not to like?

Too much crap on the map to get caught on and nades to bounce unpredictably, poorly balanced initial spawns in relation to power weapons and power-ups, in a list with radar, and spawns that are jacked due to map geometry.

That about cover it?

Bring Squad Slayer back 343.

This. 10,000 times this. The rank I'm most proud of in Halo 3 was not my MLG rank but my Squad Slayer rank.

I got up to a 41 legitimately, without booting or standbying like so many others. Alas, once you get up there that's all people do, and it's impossible to advance. This was very late in H3's life cycle, too.

J10

Banned
Too much crap on the map to get caught on and nades to bounce unpredictably, poorly balanced initial spawns in relation to power weapons and power-ups, in a list with radar, and spawns that are jacked due to map geometry.

That about cover it?

Never noticed any of that in Ghost Town. Was too busy having fun.

I'd like to see some destructable environments on some maps. A wall you can destroy with rockets for easier acces to the flag for example. That would add some sub-objectives to multiplayer maps.

I'd like to see some destructable environments on some maps. A wall you can destroy with rockets for easier acces to the flag for example. That would add some sub-objectives to multiplayer maps.
Everytime I enter Powerhouse's room I feel like destroying all the glass/monitor things, ALWAYS... yeah, I have a problem.

Retro

Switchable gravity actually sounds good but blowing people into outer space is just... too much. (

Well, it's not instant-death or anything. Shots of Warhouse show a station interior and then lots of exterior landing pads and such. It'd blow you out onto those, that's all. There would be doors that lead in and out, but they're always-on shield doors. Blowing the gravity in a room though, throws emergency shield doors up on the exits out of that room and ejects everyone outside. The pressure would equalize quickly (so it's only a 1 or 2 second thing), and then that room is open for the rest of the match.

The upside is that you can really fuck with people if you need to. The downside is that it creates shield doors that bottleneck and adds a new, large shield door-less route into the station interior. Imagine a KotH map where you snipe the switch and blow everyone out of the room. Good for you immediately, but then that hill becomes harder to lock down because there's now a big open door.

Is it a great idea? Maybe not. But it would certainly make matches memorable and the map stand out as more than just another symmetrical orbital station.

GhaleonEB

Quick, favorite 3 maps from each Halo game.

Then... because, why not, speedtest.net results.
Halo 1: Blood Gulch, Battle Creek, Sidewinder
Halo 2: Waterworks, Terminal, Zanzibar
Halo 3: Valhalla, Sandtrap, Avalanche
Reach: N/A

We need more interactive elements in the maps. The train on terminal was awesome. Bring that map back.
Yeah. And to add to that, I liked interactive elements on maps such as doors/gates/teleporters for how they broke objective games into phases just by their very design. Zanzibar/Last Resort before and after the bridge was down and gate out played differently than before.

It felt like Reach swapped out that kind of interactivity with the introduction of formal phases in Invasion. But I'd go so far as to wish the emphasis had been put on those map elements over including Invasion. (Breakpoint would play pretty much the same if the team had to hit switches to open the gates to the different parts of the levels, or destroy objects Generator Defense-style. Make those forgable gate/switch objects, and bam.)

Halo 1: Blood Gulch, Battle Creek, Sidewinder
Halo 2: Waterworks, Terminal, Zanzibar
Halo 3: Valhalla, Sandtrap, Avalanche
Reach: N/A

It's like we almost share the same thoughts.

Halo 1: Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Damnation
Halo 2: Waterworks, Terminal, Relic
Halo 3: Valhalla, Avalanche, Standoff
Reach: I can't choose because they're all bad.

There better be good BTB maps in Halo 4.

J10

Banned

I remember reading on HBO that they planned this for the cameras and monitors in The Pit. It was cut for performance reasons.

feel

I really liked Ghost Town. The geometry was a bit awkward to play on, but the lightning/visuals were so enjoyable to me that I didn't mind.

GhaleonEB

I really liked Ghost Town. The geometry was a bit awkward to play on, but the lightning/visuals were so enjoyable to me that I didn't mind.

I had a lot of fun on that map, it was fun for slayer and 1-sided objectives. For some reason I remember playing two flag on it a lot, which didn't work so hot.

It's like we almost share the same thoughts.

Halo 1: Blood Gulch, Sidewinder, Damnation
Halo 2: Waterworks, Terminal, Relic
Halo 3: Valhalla, Avalanche, Standoff
Reach: I can't choose because they're all bad.

There better be good BTB maps in Halo 4.

Yeah. I actually sat here thinking, what Reach maps do I like, and/or would like to have back? None. When voting (back when I played MP), I had no real preferences in maps. I just don't like any of them. But then, that has as much to do with Reach as with map design. Some of them would play fine were it not Reach.

No great BTB maps, though.

Havok

Ghost Town depended so heavily on quality gametype pairings--when it made sense like One Flag, it was a pretty good map. Then you have things like Neutral Bomb Ghost Town, which was just one of those baffling decisions that makes you wonder how these things end up happening. I seem to remember a disturbing amount of Oddball on that map.

Also,
H1: Wizard, Blood Gulch, Battle Creek
H2: Sanctuary, Zanzibar, Headlong
H3: Avalanche, Standoff, The Pit
Reach: Zealot, Powerhouse, Anchor 9

Avoided remakes as much as possible unless there were significant changes, tried to do one large map/two small per game, but there aren't any good large maps in Reach besides Headlong/Ridgeline. I enjoy Hemorrhage despite it being a bad remake, but not enough to push it to the top. I think 2 was full of great remakes that were miles better than the original but wouldn't make the list simply because of their remake status, while 3's remakes largely butchered the originals and should be thrown in the trash.

Just started playing again and I look old against you guys :(

Don't worry, as long you had some fun. In hindsight, we really shouldn't had the first game with you be an MLG game.

I did like the halo 2 style easy to defend, hard to attack nature of the map in objective.

Top Bottom