• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Retro

Orbital was fun sometimes. it just seemed way bigger than it needed to be. It was small enough that a lot of the fighting was very focused on waiting for your team to all be together and charging the enemy, and I found that somewhat enjoyable, especially in AR gametypes.

Condemned feels like Orbital but with even more wasted space. On that note, it would be fine with me if we never had a 'space station' map aga-

zhcTM.jpg

God damn you, 343.

FyreWulff

I miss EVERY halo 3 map (maybe not you orbital you suck)

I really liked Orbital, but it took quite a few plays to make the layout finally stick in my head and not be confused.

Design wise, it's an Infantry-only Avalanche (horseshoe map) with an interesting over/under twist on the actual horseshoe crossing area, but maybe there should have been a change to the connection area at the bend instead of the one-way trip. It feels like it's supposed to be symmetrical but plays more asymmetrically since the upper ledge can fire on flags being returned to the lower base. Once the upper base gets the flag around the lower bend, it's gone.

Snowbound, Epitaph, Ghost Town, Foundry, Isolation

God, what terrible, terrible, horrible maps. Never again should they be played. Relegated to sit on their disks, thinking about what they've done.

I thought Isolation was okay. It was just ugly. Could have been a bit more streamlined honestly.

Retro

God, what terrible, terrible, horrible maps. Never again should they be played. Relegated to sit on their disks, thinking about what they've done.

I thought Isolation was okay. It was just ugly. Could have been a bit more streamlined honestly.

Boundless was a little better because it cut down on shield door shenanigans, but that cave was still always a clusterfuck. Even if you avoided it, chances are the scrubs on your team would still congregate there, turning it into a meatgrinder. Same with the upper deck of Ivory Tower, that was a great map but that one spot was pretty much going to feed points to the team that held it the most.

Isolation was horrid. Always fighting for the upper structure and lots of dead people charging up the hill. Bleh.

As long as they don't have the upstairs rooms, I would love for the Pit to come back in any style. Probably my favorite map in H3.
Might be cool to have it looking abandoned, as you say, but I also wouldn't mind if it took on a high-tech look. Sort of a Portal / Danger Room theme, with little observation decks or windows people can watch from, etc.

Agree on the closed off upstairs front. The upstairs room didn't exist for me.

I'm not sure how you could really modernize The Pit though. it almost needs to seem gritty imo. I think the abandoned motif works better because of how training has apparently moved past actual physical training grounds and into the "holodeck" or whatever of the Infinity.

Retro said:
Boundless was a little better because it cut down on shield door shenanigans, but that cave was still always a clusterfuck. Even if you avoided it, chances are the scrubs on your team would still congregate there, turning it into a meatgrinder. Same with the upper deck of Ivory Tower, that was a great map but that one spot was pretty much going to feed points to the team that held it the most.

Isolation was horrid. Always fighting for the upper structure and lots of dead people charging up the hill. Bleh.

I thought the charging up the hill aspect was neat, though. It felt sorta badass. If you did it well it would work. Although, you almost needed BR starts on that map, or else you were screwed. Charging up that hill without an effective long range weapon was a death sentence.

Homeboyd

Quick, favorite 3 maps from each Halo game.

Then favorite 3 campaign missions from each Halo game.

Then... because, why not, speedtest.net results.

This is not true.

What do you consider the best of Reach though? I consider the worst of Halo 3 equally bad as the best of Reach but no better than that. I would rather all Reach maps and most Halo 3 maps never return.

The only Reach map I really enjoy is a forge remake of The Pit...

Ghost town was an incredibly bad map! Epitaph was pretty shitty and I never want to play Orbital ever again, I also never liked Assembly.

Wait didnt Orbital, Ghost Town and Assembly come in one map pack lol? EDIT: Oh nah it was Sandbox instead of Assembly right, Sandbox redeemed the other 2.

What do you consider the best of Reach though? I consider the worst of Halo 3 equally bad as the best of Reach but no better than that. I would rather all Reach maps and most Halo 3 maps never return.

Ghost town was a incredibly bad map!

I was about to post pretty much this same thing. I don't even know what I'd consider the "best" map in Reach. The one I enjoy the most is The Pit remake, but it seems that the most enjoyed and played maps are just remakes...Reflection, Asylum...

Upon some further thought the most popular map in Reach seems to be Countdown. I play it more than any other for some reason.

So you like the fact that you could land 3 DMR shots on someone as they run up to you, melee you, and now you are at a disadvantage because your shield is broken and theirs is not?

No thanks.
You know this wouldn't be a problem if melee's were 3 hits to kill. You know, like MLG used to do. Oh hey, another good idea brought forth by MLG, would ya look at that.

Yes. Again.

H2 rules... Ah, back in the day when Halo used to be an FPS.
To think that Halo 2 had won best FPS originally makes me lose faith in the future of FPS.

The shield indicator is not as obvious as it was in H3.
You be trippin. Audio/visual feedback is so much better in Reach.

Halo 3's worst beat Reach's best.
Anni. maps don't count obviously.
Okay now I know you cray. Epitaph, Snowbound and Isolation are NOT better than Powerhouse, Zealot and Countdown. And I don't even know if I consider those Reach's best.

Overdoziz

Banned

Ghost town was an incredibly bad map! Epitaph was pretty shitty and I never want to play Orbital ever again, I also never liked Assembly.

Wait didnt Orbital, Ghost Town and Assembly come in one map pack lol? Worst map pack ever!
I'd much rather play Zealot, Countdown or Powerhouse (maybe Boardwalk) than Epitaph, Isolation, Ghost Town, Assembly, Orbital, Foundry or Snowbound.

Retro

Since we're talking about Halo 3 maps... I know we're not supposed to get a ton of remakes, but I would be perfectly fine with Guardian (sans Hammer), High Ground, Last Resort (Zanzibar version though), Boundless (with tunnel improvement), Pit and Valhalla all coming back. Avalanche, Blackout and Ghost Town would be okay too.

And maybe a Narrows-esque map with maybe slightly better layout. Maybe another layer on the bridge.

I'm not sure how you could really modernize The Pit though. it almost needs to seem gritty imo. I think the abandoned motif works better because of how training has apparently moved past actual physical training grounds and into the "holodeck" or whatever of the Infinity.

Well, I was thinking something like Portal; a very clean, sterile testing facility;
UWBCK.jpg

However, I could see the same concept 'roughed up', like this;
mKdR1.jpg

The Pit was a training ground, I would just like to see it without the cargo-crates motif.

Tempest is a map that could've gone so right, but went oh-so-wrong for some reason. It still holds a place in my heart, but in a way, it just seems like an amateur tried to remake Valhalla.

I want to like it, I really do. I want to LOVE it, because it's such a Halo-esque map. But it just feels wrong.

I'd much rather play Zealot, Countdown or Powerhouse (maybe Boardwalk) than Epitaph, Isolation, Ghost Town, Assembly, Orbital, Foundry or Snowbound.

I'de much rather veto.

Seriously, I would rather play none of the maps you listed, but the difference with Halo 3 is that there are other maps worth playing, you veto and get something better, you veto in Reach for a worse map than the ones you listed lol!

Overdoziz

Banned
I'de much rather veto.

Seriously, I would rather play none of the maps you listed, but the difference with Halo 3 is that there are other maps worth playing, you veto and get something better, you veto in Reach for a worse map than the ones you listed lol!
In Halo 3 you get Team Duals on Boundless 90% of the time anyway.

Since we're talking about Halo 3 maps... I know we're not supposed to get a ton of remakes, but I would be perfectly fine with Guardian (sans Hammer), High Ground, Last Resort (Zanzibar version though), Boundless (with tunnel improvement), Pit and Valhalla all coming back. Avalanche, Blackout and Ghost Town would be okay too.

And maybe a Narrows-esque map with maybe slightly better layout. Maybe another layer on the bridge.

Well, I was thinking something like Portal; a very clean, sterile testing facility;
*snip*

However, I could see the same concept 'roughed up', like this;
*snip*

The Pit was a training ground, I would just like to see it without the cargo-crates motif.

I just don't think a sterile motif really works with a UNSC Human motif. Maybe with the forerunners, but Forge World has made me so, so sick of forerunner motif. I agree though, get rid of the cargo crates. that made it seem TOO "down and dirty". They have to find a nice middle ground between Portal and what it was in 3, unless they go the dilapidated route, which as I stated, I think makes a lot of sense.

blamite

Orbital always seems to get a lot of hate, but I always liked it. I'm curious, what was so bad about it?

I usually enjoyed Orbital for one-sided flag and bomb games, multi-flag was even okay sometimes. But really for symmetrical Slayer it was pretty bad. Nothing but long hallways filled with crates, and the spawning setup just plain did not work for Slayer.

Tawpgun

Ghost Town is my favorite Halo map ever. I could never understand why someone wouldn't like it.

really.

Out of all the maps from Halo CE to Reach.

Ghost Town is your favorite ever....

I don't really feel strongly about it... but... Cmon son.

Visual Continuity has always been very hit and miss between the halo games, Im not sure if art leads changed or they just explored the tech more but some very obvious examples are.

Brutes (wookie>ape>rhino)
Human Structures (h2 Mombasa>Voi>ODST Mombasa)
UNSC marines (space marine>olive drab armour>ghost recon)

Hopefully 343i Nail down the art design starting with Halo 4 going forward, Personally id like.

New hairy brute design mix of the current 3
ODST Mombasa/New Alexandria Human architecture
Ghost Recon with hints of Halo 1 Marines

Guardian is a sexy looking map.

I can't say for sure about all of them, but even the limited edition commentary disc for Halo 2 mentioned wanting the Brutes to look like ape/rhinos, so the whole white skin thing's been there, they most likely just ran out of time to flesh them out as necessary.

blamite

Weren't those guardrails over the pit supposed to be retractable via a switch somewhere? I vaguely remember reading that in a Weekly Update at some point, and I was always disappointed that that was cut. That jump was always super awkward, especially when slowed down with a flag or bomb.

Retro

We need more interactive elements in the maps. The train on terminal was awesome. Bring that map back.

Absolutely, I would love to see maps with stuff going on that affects gameplay.

Imagine Terminal without the upper cheesing deck, with an underground subway area with more trains whizzing by. And various access points down to that new section in the grassy areas?

J10

Banned
really.

Out of all the maps from Halo CE to Reach.

Ghost Town is your favorite ever....

I don't really feel strongly about it... but... Cmon son.

It's got high ground/low ground, multiple ins and outs to every area, great aesthetics, perfect size for steady 4v4 action. What's not to like? Oh, it's not The Pit. Right.

Gazzawa

It's got high ground/low ground, multiple ins and outs to every area, great aesthetics, perfect size for steady 4v4 action. What's not to like? Oh, it's not The Pit. Right.

I like
your battle tits
the way you think. The Pit is the holy grail for 4vs 4 action this gen.

Retro

Warhouse could be infinitely cooler if there were interactive elements.

- Shoot out a switch to vent certain rooms to the vacuum of space, blowing everyone onto the outer platforms until the pressure equalizes. Doing so would also activate shield doors, so you could blow the switch just to keep a room safe, with the added risk of opening a big ass door to the outside and having people get blown out for a few seconds.

Imagine you're chasing down a flag carrier and pop the pressure in the room and he's blown outside. With no cover, you put him down quite easily. Then you slide back into the room, using the shield doors to force the enemy to come in after you.

- Maybe throw a switch and the platform the Cyclops is being built on can raise and lower, maybe even opening up the entire top of the station to fight on, or at least giving you a raised platform to shoot down from.

- Maybe a room you can break the gravity controls in; suddenly all the crates and such that were cover are up on the ceiling and frag grenades are all floaty. Maybe re-activate gravity to drop some crates onto people?

- Also, security monitors on terminals and such could show real-time footage so locking down a Control Room would actually let you sit and watch where people are at.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Honestly we've seen like 3 screenshots of Warhouse, so I really cannot judge how the map plays based on looks, nor what the rest of the map looks like.

Warhouse could be infinitely cooler if there were interactive elements.

- Shoot out a switch to vent certain rooms to the vacuum of space, blowing everyone onto the outer platforms until the pressure equalizes. Doing so would also activate shield doors, so you could blow the switch just to keep a room safe, with the added risk of opening a big ass door to the outside and having people get blown out for a few seconds.

Imagine you're chasing down a flag carrier and pop the pressure in the room and he's blown outside. With no cover, you put him down quite easily. Then you slide back into the room, using the shield doors to force the enemy to come in after you.

- Maybe throw a switch and the platform the Cyclops is being built on can raise and lower, maybe even opening up the entire top of the station to fight on, or at least giving you a raised platform to shoot down from.

- Maybe a room you can break the gravity controls in; suddenly all the crates and such that were cover are up on the ceiling and frag grenades are all floaty. Maybe re-activate gravity to drop some crates onto people?

- Also, security monitors on terminals and such could show real-time footage so locking down a Control Room would actually let you sit and watch where people are at.
duuuuudeeee, wut

J10

Banned
I like
your battle tits
the way you think. The Pit is the holy grail for 4vs 4 action this gen.

The Pit is OK I guess. It's popularity made it boring when everybody always voted for it. Not every match needs to be a super symmetrical fight to the death. Ghost Town is better.

Top Bottom