• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm behind again thanks to work.

Have we confirmed what weapons are available in loadouts, and in what modes?

I didn't mind loadout options in Invasion, where you could choose a specific loadout/class, but if people spawning into a game of slayer with a shotgun and BR as their starting combo, I'm gonna punch something.

I didn't mind loadout options in Invasion, where you could choose a specific loadout/class, but if people spawning into a game of slayer with a shotgun and BR as their starting combo, I'm gonna punch something.

6 months away from launch...

TheOddOne

Nothing concrete has been said, more speculation.

Visit the FUD for more info.

Stuff:

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Would I HAVE to get headphones in order to experience the audio for Halo 4 the way I did at E3 or can I just get surround sound? I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff, but I MUST be able to experience the audio for that game (and every game for that matter) again.

Fracas

#fuckonami
*claps*
I don't agree, but a fantastic choice.

I'll admit, Halo was right there. If I had to rate them it'd be like:

1. The Last of Us
2. Halo 4
3. Assassin's Creed III
4. Watchdogs
5. Tomb Raider

I liked Star Wars 1313, but come on, we didn't really see anything.

Risen

This. Flinch is so fucking bad in CoD.

Accept for the part that creates a layer of skill by some people being able to control it and react to it, while others can't.

Would I HAVE to get headphones in order to experience the audio for Halo 4 the way I did at E3 or can I just get surround sound? I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff, but I MUST be able to experience the audio for that game (and every game for that matter) again.

Definitely should get headphones...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
in the E3 build it knocks you off your shot, but leaves scope in. Like lots of gameplay we are still tuning.

Oh fuck, so there's "flinch?" I'd rather just be knocked out of scope.

Strong as fuck cuz, most I've seen someone DL at my (shitty commercial) gym is four plate. Big props.

4 Plates is still awesome, and thanks.

I suppose he's more of the type who challenges themselves... well now, how do i phrase this without it sounding dump? Prefers mental challenge to physical one. I know i do.

My statement wasn't excluding that. Also, you CAN do both.

BigShow36

Accept for the part that creates a layer of skill by some people being able to control it and react to it, while others can't.

While simultaneously creating such an overreliance on the first shot that it negates whatever imagined minimal skill gap that comes from "controlling" a random feature.

Risen

While simultaneously creating such an overreliance on the first shot that it negates whatever imagined minimal skill gap that comes from "controlling" a random feature.

LOL hi Shadow... nice to see you here... any other mechanic you wanna blame because you can't handle it?

daedalius

Well I can't comment on the 'flinch' since I never play CoD, but just complaining about how terrible it is in COD isn't very substantive feedback; if they care enough what you have to say.

Also would be nice if someone who has actually played it would comment on it.

Since, you know, you guys haven't.

Woorloog

Banned
My statement wasn't excluding that. Also, you CAN do both.
I wasn't being very serious...
Oh man.. now i feel obligated to answer this. But i really, really don't want to start that discussion. I know it will become one. Or people chiding me. Or something.

If there's one thing i need to challenge, it is my tendency to say something i end up regretting later on, be it serious or just a joke...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Well I can't comment on the 'flinch' since I never play CoD, but just complaining about how terrible it is in COD isn't very substantive feedback; if they care enough what you have to say.

It's annoying, but not really hard to counter. Although I'd say that's mainly because of CoD's huge hitboxes.

BigShow36

LOL hi Shadow... nice to see you here... any other mechanic you wanna blame because you can't handle it?

Not gonna try and measure e-peens about me being very, very good a FPS games (CoD included). Its not a matter of "handling" flinch; flinch is a near-instantaneous reallocation of your reticle that occurs randomly every few hits. You can't control the actual flinch.

Risen

Since, you know, you guys haven't.

I play it a ton... see my conversation with BigSHow in the last OT... we had this exact discussion on the merits of "flinch" in CoD.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I wasn't being very serious...
Oh man.. now i feel obligated to answer this. But i really, really don't want to start that discussion. I know it will become one. Or people chiding me. Or something.

If there's one thing i need to challenge, it is my tendency to say something i end up regretting later on, be it serious or just a joke...

Huh? I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything.

Now why would you tell him that?

Couldn't resist to be honest.

Risen

Not gonna try and measure e-peens about me being very, very good a FPS games. Its not a matter of "handling" flinch.

Totally not measuring "e-peen" - that's the way you come off, you did in the last thread too... it's bad because one can't control it, which is pretty much the gist of Shadow's opinion on being knocked out of scope.

flinch is a near-instantaneous reallocation of your reticle that occurs randomly every few hits. You can't control the actual flinch.

Yes one can...

Woorloog

Banned
Huh? I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything.

I know you didn't. It's just that...
Fuck. I'm really bad at making judgements about intention. Or something.
/headdesk
Ah, i need to go to sleep, write with clearer head (no alcohol or drugs, don't do those, just tired).

Karl2177

Do you like being annoying? Turn off caps lock, step outside and take a breath. It's gun be ok.

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG

EAT MY PEÑOR ALLENSOGUNGHO

*turns off caps lock*
*steps outside*
*takes a breath*

You want to know my secret? I'M ALWAYS ANGRY.

That's more like it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The flinch thing sounds like something I could be okay with. I've barely played COD, so I don't know how bad it is in that series, but it sounds like it could be an okay compromise. Not that I want Halo any more compromised than it already seems (seems!) to be.

I'm not shouting or anything.
Humorous caps lock and angry caps lock are easily confused.

gotta go careful

BigShow36

Totally not measuring "e-peen" - that's the way you come off, you did in the last thread too... it's bad because one can't control it, which is pretty much the gist of Shadow's opinion on being knocked out of scope.

Totally different things. Being knocked out of scope doesn't actuallty alter someone's aim, all it does it make it slightly more difficult at range.

You're looking at the fact that flinch forces players to re-aim every so often and completely ignoring everything else. In a game like CoD, everything kills so rapidly that getting the first shot AND then screwing up the aim of the person getting shot with flinch causes the game to rely way too much on getting the first shot.

Risen

Totally different things. Being knocked out of scope doesn't actuallty alter someone's aim, all it does it make it slightly more difficult at range.

You're looking at the fact that flinch forces players to re-aim every so often and completely ignoring everything else. In a game like CoD, everything kills so rapidly that getting the first shot AND then screwing up the aim of the person getting shot with flinch causes the game to rely way too much on getting the first shot.

Again... the ability to control flinch means that if I can do it better than the other guy, if I hit him with my bullets, I have the opportunity to outskill the guy. Without flinch, first shot always wins.... which again is similar to controlling being knocked out of scope as it relates to the shooting interaction. If one person can control aim under duress created by being knocked out, and the other can't... skill takes the day. Otherwise, first shot wins assuming all else is equal. (strafe etc)

Thermite

Get some really good Sennheiser headphones. You'll never look back.

Its just nothing challenges me. I'm too alpha for struggle.

Also can we rehash the 60fps argument instead of the flinch/scope debate? Last few pages have been so boring.

The flinch thing sounds like something I could be okay with. I've barely played COD, so I don't know how bad it is in that series, but it sounds like it could be an okay compromise. Not that I want Halo any more compromise than it already seems (seems!) to be

Indeed. I don't want to be constantly making compromises for the things that sound bad. I think I can count the announcements about Halo 4 that sounded good to me on one hand.

Hoping here that the forge reveal will make me somewhat happy.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My favorite thing about the demo is how the AI actually reacts to a gun being pointed at them, more games need to do that.

I enjoyed the part where Joel tried to fire a shot, but had no ammo. The AI reacted, even said something about it, and changed its tactics accordingly.

So good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The flinch thing sounds like something I could be okay with. I've barely played COD, so I don't know how bad it is in that series, but it sounds like it could be an okay compromise. Not that I want Halo any more compromised than it already seems (seems!) to be.

Put it this way, as long as you're being hit you're probably going to miss (or get a lucky headshot) with flinch (it makes your shots jerk up a lot). It "feels" way more random than simply being descoped. At least in my opinion.

Both definitely have their flaws/benefits, but as much as I find being descoped annoying I find "flinch" infinitely more annoying.

Hazop looks like retarded EOD lol

Also, what's this flinching mechanic, how does it work?

Think of very unpredictable and extreme recoil.

Woorloog

Banned

Also can we rehash the 60fps argument instead of the flinch/scope debate? Last few pages have been so boring.

Or the Spartan Laser argument. Or... maybe that AR argument? Or... well, i'm sure we had others as well.

I'm sure HaloGAF is stuck on somesort timeloop. The same discussions pop up again and again with the same arguments and counter-arguments.
And i'm sure i've stated this before.

TheOddOne

tumblr_ll38g4xBjg1qbga2ro1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom