• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
No dude, that's just warm-up music. A march of sorts. The theme song is yet to come.

Nice, I'm looking forward to the theme song. Bregmann better step up his game, he's letting me down so far. It's now been 7 minutes and he's come up with nothing.

So uh...For custom games, all weapons and stuff for loadouts are unlocked already, right?

Yep, everything's unlocked in customs

What DAW did you use to create this awesomness?

Acoustica Mixcraft 5.2 with East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra (EWQLSO VST) and Zebra2 with a few additional Zebra2 instrument sets including Chronospheres, I think. I have a few more surprises up my sleeve for Warwood's more bombastic "main theme," wubwub included.

WIDI Audio-to-MIDI is also a very basic plugin that lets you convert most audio files (15 seconds maximum using only the demo version) with some sliders to modify sensitivity, etc. into actual MIDI files. That's how I got the opening choir riffs from Farthest Outpost in there, I actually suck at doing stuff by ear. It just takes a bit to clean out the "static" that it usually picks up.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the snares are even to the tune of "10 out of 10, would wage again" if you listen close.

the syllables also work perfectly so that a sampled UNACCEPTABLEEEEE for Plywood would fit right into the melody

TheOddOne

Acoustica Mixcraft 5.2 with East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra (EWQLSO VST) and Zebra2 with a few additional Zebra2 instrument sets including Chronospheres, I think. I have a few more surprises up my sleeve for Warwood's more bombastic "main theme," wubwub included.
Awesome! Never ever heard of Mixcraft before, going to try to hunt it down.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
He seems to hate everyone.

Anyway, to defend myself for when I vent about randoms:
Cursed Lemon said:
The ranking system, perhaps more than any other feature of the game, is a study in psychology. It begs the question of just what all different players are looking for in their gaming experience. Some people want the truest representation of their skill to show next to their name when they're browsing through matchmaking, while others are just looking to ram through achievements. To be as simple as possible, there are three modes of achievement in a game - length of time played, the game's goals, and personal milestones. The first is hardly an achievement, but due to the influx of 13-year-old kids who were reared on the last generation of games so easy that a crippled cripple could complete them, it's viewed as a necessity by game devs. The second is the most obvious one, and would translate to Halo 2's number ranks for success in team playlist. The third is the epitome of hardcore brattiness, those who can't seem to pinpoint the reason that their team always loses while they're going +20. If I had my way, the second rank would be the only rank that existed, but unfortunately I have to try to make "new" ideas work... even if those ideas suck.
I view my personal milestones as my way of knowing how much I was aiding the team and it upsets me when I find that I've done everything in my power to help my team only for them to have fallen short of the mark. I push for the objective and I do my best to cover teammates while abusing every weapon I can get my hands on. I will charge the enemy, I will push the pace, I will do what is required of me. So it's not that I don't know the reason though I am baffled by player incapability. I know the reason, it's trueskill and it concerns me that a game that is supposed to have a ranking system which tracks the skill of players in order to match them up competitively seems to actively fail on a regular basis because of a number of factors and(seemingly) skewed priorities which I feel are:

1. Matching speed for next game
2a. Pool of available players
2b. Any possible filters on
3. Trueskill

edit: As you see I put Trueskill as the lowest because it's quite clear that the system itself takes a backseat and only really seems to come into play(if it can) after the first two priorities are met.

tl;dr: I bitch about my teammates cause trueskill ain't backing me up like it's suppose to.

Anyway, I'll dig through the rest of this later today.

Alright, well at Mixcraft crashing due to my computer running out of RAM (it saves backups really really often so nothing was lost), I think it's time to call it a night. I just need to do some post-processing and fix up the percussion and Warwood's theme should be ready to go tomorrow.

He seems to hate everyone.

Anyway, to defend myself for when I vent about randoms:

I view my personal milestones as my way of knowing how much I was aiding the team and it upsets me when I find that I've done everything in my power to help my team only for them to have fallen short of the mark. I push for the objective and I do my best to cover teammates while abusing every weapon I can get my hands on. I will charge the enemy, I will push the pace, I will do what is required of me. So it's not that I don't know the reason though I am baffled by player incapability. I know the reason, it's trueskill and it concerns me that a game that is supposed to have a ranking system which tracks the skill of players in order to match them up competitively seems to actively fail on a regular basis because of a number of factors and(seemingly) skewed priorities which I feel are:

1. Matching speed for next game
2a. Pool of available players
2b. Any possible filters on
3. Trueskill

edit: As you see I put Trueskill as the lowest because it's quite clear that the system itself takes a backseat and only really seems to come into play(if it can) after the first two priorities are met.

tl;dr: I bitch about my teammates cause trueskill ain't backing me up like it's suppose to.

Anyway, I'll dig through the rest of this later today.

No matter how much you do in-game to try and help your teammates, it will fall short. The main component of teamwork is communication. Has been, always will be.

That's no fault of yours, by the way. It's actually still the fault of Trueskill, albeit indirectly. In Halo 3 people had a number next to their names that they cared about. They didn't want to lose their number. They had mics. They talked. They called out.

But in Reach, with no number, the reasons to talk faded away. People stopped caring. People stopped trying, except for the few with a full party, or the people, like you, who go in to still try and salvage what it used to be like to play Halo.

Unfortunately, that's not enough anymore.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
No matter how much you do in-game to try and help your teammates, it will fall short. The main component of teamwork is communication. Has been, always will be.

That's no fault of yours, by the way. It's actually still the fault of Trueskill, albeit indirectly. In Halo 3 people had a number next to their names that they cared about. They didn't want to lose their number. They had mics. They talked. They called out.

But in Reach, with no number, the reasons to talk faded away. People stopped caring. People stopped trying, except for the few with a full party, or the people, like you, who go in to still try and salvage what it used to be like to play Halo.

Unfortunately, that's not enough anymore.
Spot on, spot on.

Spot on, spot on.

And I think that's what CursedLemon might be missing. I might be a little too pessimistic here, but I don't think it's coming back. Halo isn't going to ever be what it used to be. It's a combination of developer refusal to backtrack and the fact that the community has, by and large, moved on.

To what, I can't say. A significant portion, at least in my experience, have moved on to the fabled land of not video games, shockingly enough.

Yet here we remain, desperately hoping that Halo 4 will bring us back to the good old days. Knowing that it probably won't, but we'll soldier on anyway, because it's all we'll have.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
And I think that's what CursedLemon might be missing. I might be a little too pessimistic here, but I don't think it's coming back. Halo isn't going to ever be what it used to be. It's a combination of developer refusal to backtrack and the fact that the community has, by and large, moved on.

To what, I can't say. A significant portion, at least in my experience, have moved on to the fabled land of not video games, shockingly enough.

Yet here we remain, desperately hoping that Halo 4 will bring us back to the good old days. Knowing that it probably won't, but we'll soldier on anyway, because it's all we'll have.
Because it's the hero Halo deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll buy it. Because we can take it. Because it's not our Halo.

The land of not videogames sounds good right now.

Waaaaaay to late but you're probably right. I made a really bad estimate :p I had to go to bed early yesterday because today, I had to get up pretty early for a trip.

By the way, I thought Flanders was flat, holy fuck. Went into Holland last week and was surprised at how flat the landscape is. :lol

By the way, I thought Flanders was flat, holy fuck. Went into Holland last week and was surprised at how flat the landscape is. :lol

It is :lol Though I live in the south so there are some hills here, but it's still flat when you compare it to other countries. What were you doing in beautiful Holland?

Calling that a "hill" would be generous.

Hey, don't take the one thing Limburgers are proud of away from us!

It is :lol Though I live in the south so there are some hills here, but it's still flat when you compare it to other countries. What were you doing in beautiful Holland?

Went camping with some classmates to celebrate the end of exams. We stayed on a camping near Doesburg, dunno if you know it.

heckfu

Banned
No logo, just this.
34jIj.jpg

It's not LITERALLY carrying me, silly!

lol - you were supposed to wait for me to do it; all four of us have to work on the same one. ;)

If you did it, I suppose that's fine - we can use that one... if you PM us the link. :)

Oh, Robbert...lol.

Also sorry about locking you into another game yesterday Wu, I wasn't looking at my screen.

TOURNEY SCHEDULING UPDATE!

I need team captains to have their team fill out a scheduling poll on Doodle.com and send me the results. There's a few important details to this.
  • Make sure to enter in an email when creating the poll. That'll make it a lot easier to access later.
  • When creating the poll, start with Saturday June 30 and end with Sunday July 8.
  • When creating time slots, fill out the top row starting with 10am and ending with 10pm. You'll need to push the 'Add further time slots' button a few times. Select 'Copy and paste first row' to have the time slots copy to all the date rows.
  • VERY IMPORTANT: enable time-zone support in the poll!
  • Once your entire team fills it out, email me (see below) the participation link, and I'll use it to match you up with other teams.
  • I need this done by Friday June 29 at Noon (Pacific Time).
I'll try to fit in as many teams as possible within this time period, but I doubt everyone will make it in. If that's the case, I'll get in contact with captains again and we can do another round of scheduling. Please remember that each round is three matches. If your team loses in at least two of those three matches, you're banished to Waypoint out of the tournament. Winning teams will go up against another winning team for another round, possibly within the same June 30 - July 8 period, but maybe not. We'll see how quickly the first round of matches goes.

My email address: kittensfromgaf@gmail.com. Email me here when your team has their schedule filled out, or if you have any questions or anything. Also, please bookmark this post for future reference.

If anyone wants to nitpick this plan, make it quick. :)

Edit : I'll be adding matches to this Google Calendar as they're scheduled! That's in Pacific Time.

Edit 2 :
I won't be at home till July 1. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom