• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Base went til there were 30 seconds left. One guy camped red lift side with the sniper rifle and pretty much netted more than 90% of his team's kills. My team decided to camp yellow lift, of course.

We won, but boy oh boy is Reach at its worst tonight.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yep. AA's are all skill crutches IMO.

I disagree. Armor lock might be, but the others are just strategies. Using hologram doesn't mean that person is worse than you, moreso if you fall for it you aren't as good as they are possibly?

It adds a different dynamic and more strategy to the game. I don't think Reach had the correct AA's, but I have faith that Halo 4 will.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I disagree. Armor lock might be, but the others are just strategies. Using hologram doesn't mean that person is worse than you, moreso if you fall for it you aren't as good as they are possibly?

It adds a different dynamic and more strategy to the game. I don't think Reach had the correct AA's, but I have faith that Halo 4 will.

I'll give you that, I'm fine with Hologram. That's how I want AAs (if they have to be there) to function. No immediate advantage over someone, just a thing that mixes up combat and doesn't dominate the sandbox like Reach's AAs.

Ramirez

I still feel like Jetpack is the single worst thing added to the game, outside of bloom. Just completely spits on map design, really would have loved to see 343 axe it. :|

Havok

I still feel like Jetpack is the single worst thing added to the game, outside of bloom. Just completely spits on map design, really would have loved to see 343 axe it. :|
I agree. Single instances of Armor Lock were annoying, but rarely did I see more than one person in a game doing it. Evade and Jetpack were and are full-team abuses.

The jetpack did something I thought was impossible by making me hate matches on Headlong. That map is just completely destroyed by that ability.

I agree. Single instances of Armor Lock were annoying, but rarely did I see more than one person in a game doing it. Evade and Jetpack were and are full-team abuses.

The jetpack did something I thought was impossible by making me hate matches on Headlong. That map is just completely destroyed by that ability.

There's just no REASON for it. Bungie just kind of went "Hey yeah jetpacks are cool right?"

Also, the worst part of Sword base is easily the fact that most of it is just unused. There are vast expanses of that map that never see combat, because people just camp the top floor. So stupid. I'd love to see a version of it with the top floor blocked off somehow, just to see what it's like.

who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif

Yeah Barrow and I ran into some awful Jetpack abuse today (playing half our games on Cage didn't help). It can be pretty horrendous, which is exponentially worsened by the extreme amount of aim acceleration on the vertical axis. Trying to quickly move your reticle upwards is like trying to lift an anvil.

Hopefully two things for Halo 4:
-Jetpack is more of "boost pack" that just gives you a very short vertical boost. Judging by the duration of the AA's we saw at E3, I'm relatively hopeful for this (think will still suck though no doubt).
-Related to Jetpack, but in no way exclusively related to it, please 343 for the love of god have an option to turn off aim acceleration. All it does in a arena/sandbox shooter is gimp the individual player and make the game more frustrating to play.

Gray Man

Banned

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

I have lurked for quite some time, in a way, we are all lurkers...

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional
)

I'm 20 years old and I'm posting from a place in the USA

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

I'm a pretty big Halo Fan, I've played every single game. I've been playing Halo since 2006

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

Multiplayer

What is your favorite playlist?

Halo 3 BTB

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

I Pinch

Fracas

#fuckonami
Fracas, what happens if any of the teammates are no-shows tomorrow night? Do we pull from the alts? Or delay it entirely?

I'm not sure what we're doing with scheduling. I want to go by Risen's idea, but I want to see what kittens wants to do.

Idea for jetpack: get rid of it.

To compensate: make Thruster operate in three dimensions depending on where you're looking. For example, looking straight down and thrusting backwards would send you straight up. Maybe make thruster move in two but have a larger distance, but have jetpack move in three with a shorter range.

who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif

Yeah Barrow and I ran into some awful Jetpack abuse today (playing half our games on Cage didn't help). It can be pretty horrendous, which is exponentially worsened by the extreme amount of aim acceleration on the vertical axis. Trying to quickly move your reticle upwards is like trying to lift an anvil.

Hopefully two things for Halo 4:
-Jetpack is more of "boost pack" that just gives you a very short vertical boost. Judging by the duration of the AA's we saw at E3, I'm relatively hopeful for this (think will still suck though no doubt).
-Related to Jetpack, but in no way exclusively related to it, please 343 for the love of god have an option to turn off aim acceleration. All it does in a arena/sandbox shooter is gimp the individual player and make the game more frustrating to play.

Honestly, if aim acceleration and deadzone are the same as they are in Reach, I'll be satisfied. Just don't take any steps back in that department, that's all I ask.

I rage quit earlier today because of jetpacks.
An entire team using jetpack on boardwalk is one of the most annoying things.

It is really the thing that has me worried most for Halo 4.

Gray Man

Banned
I rage quit earlier today because of jetpacks.
An entire team using jetpack on boardwalk is one of the most annoying things.

It is really the thing that has me worried most for Halo 4.

but you have to unlock jet pack, so only the people who play the most will have jetpacks!!!
Wait... that doesn't sound like a good thing at all...

Honestly, if aim acceleration and deadzone are the same as they are in Reach, I'll be satisfied. Just don't take any steps back in that department, that's all I ask.

They're certainly not as bad as in Halo 3, and the aim acceleration on the horizontal axis in Reach is really not bad at all, especially if you bump sensitivity up above the default, but it's still awful on the vertical axis, and I really wish there was an option to turn it off. Some people don't even notice aim acceleration, but to others such as myself, it is a very frustrating, and can significantly impact my enjoyment with the game.

I do agree that no steps should be taken back in these departments from Reach. Including and especially FOV!

SMH, you are not my son. I am disowning you.

Was I ever your son?

In that case:
tumblr_loqu33Ds4M1qg70cao1_250.gif

They're certainly not as bad as in Halo 3, and the aim acceleration on the horizontal axis in Reach is really not bad at all, especially if you bump sensitivity up above the default, but it's still awful on the vertical axis, and I really wish there was an option to turn it off. Some people don't even notice aim acceleration, but to others such as myself, it is a very frustrating, and can significantly impact my enjoyment with the game.

I do agree that no steps should be taken back in these departments from Reach. Including and especially FOV!

Definitely agree on FOV, it was great in Reach. But from what I've seen it seems like the FOV has been taken down just a notch, which is unfortunate.

In Halo 3, I ALWAYS noticed it, and I was definitely a worse player for it. I've never, ever felt dissatisfied with Reach's aim accel and responsiveness. In Halo 3 it was a near constant thing.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just in case you guys don't have it, I'll put the gametypes in my fileshare tomorrow morning, and will link it here. I typed up a HaloGAF.com post, will publish it then as well.

Remember, save films of the match!

Think this is gonna be a good matchup.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just in case you guys don't have it, I'll put the gametypes in my fileshare tomorrow morning, and will link it here. I typed up a HaloGAF.com post, will publish it then as well.

Remember, save films of the match!

Think this is gonna be a good matchup.

Thank god you did this less than 12 hours before the match. :_P

We're well oiled and prepped.

L1NETT

Ah, is this the Halogaf tournament?

Good luck to all :)

Any predictions for the BIG match tonight. Im going for Spain 1-0 Italy.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm actually curious to see what people predict of tonight's games.
FUCKING HALOGAF TOURNEY

Should make for great hype, and plenty of crow to be served if incorrect.

None of the Treyarch games have been. They didn't get the MW2 code from IW due to their stupid little feud and so they were building off the tech they had during World at War for Black Ops, and that game had some significant dips.

Treyarch's CoDs always seemed less...polished. Visually, I mean. They always looked a little grittier and not as well done as IW's.

Black Ops 2 seems to be changing that, it actually looks...different, but this is actually pretty big. One of the best parts of CoD has always been the framerate.

I remember back during GI's coverstory on CoD4 they were gushing over how good the graphics were while being able to sustain 60 FPS.

That said, BO2 is probably the first CoD I won't be getting at launch.

Fracas

#fuckonami
None of the Treyarch games have been. They didn't get the MW2 code from IW due to their stupid little feud and so they were building off the tech they had during World at War for Black Ops, and that game had some significant dips.

Digital Foundry said there was a segment of the demo where the game appeared to run at a locked 30. The dips aren't that extreme though, are they?

Havok

Digital Foundry said there was a segment of the demo where the game appeared to run at a locked 30. The dips aren't that extreme though, are they?
No, not usually. It can lose like 15 frames during some segments of the campaign, though. I'd bet they're locking it to 30 during that section so it doesn't tear, it didn't look that impressive to actually lose 30 full frames.

It's always been interesting to me how Treyarch is less stringent about the locked 60 than old IW was--whether it's philosophy or them not being as technically proficient, I don't know. If it means that Call of Duty ends up looking better during the campaign , I'm more than okay with it. I think that the animosity that West and Zampella had towards Treyarch and their unwillingness to work with them more closely really held those games back. It's a shame that the case was settled out of court, because I'd love to know whether the allegations of IW countermarketing against a product from their own parent company were true. It all seems so petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom