• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boardwalk is one of the more ridiculous maps that allows the jetpack to be negatively abusive. Reflection and some of the forged variants from the community are also hit hard by it. Then there's maps like Zealot, Powerhouse, and Countdown where I haven't necessarily found its presence as repulsive. Still, I think where maps like the Jetpack isn't absolutely terrible, it's something else that is, like Camo. A team of Jetpacks on Pinnacle or Countdown may not be as harmful as a team of Camo players. Those two AA's, along with Spartans using Evade, are the three absolute worst things of the game. They're not available at all times or in every game mode or playlist, but in a lot of moments they're quite annoying to face. I'm sure we'll find similar things in H4, unfortunately. Once Regen Field gets introduced and gets to be used on small, enclosed maps, I'll probably be want to break my disc.

The Jetpack either breaks maps or is useless, and that's the real shame of it.

As for community forge variants being hard hit by it, yeah. It's hard to design a map that allows for balanced jetpack use while maintaining fun for the rest of the players, and that's evidenced by the fact that not even Bungie could do it.

Also, I just beat Binding of Isaac twice in the past hour. I'm getting a lot better at this game, and it helps that one of those runs I somehow glitched into being invulnerable. It's really all about luck past a certain point...

wwm0nkey

Sounds like FPS playerbases in general. Maybe they should just make the flag a guy that moves towards your base when you shoot him, then maybe people would actually know how to play CTF.

Its sad that most games will probably need to give people an incentive with points to go after objectives or a giant hint box that says "YOU ARE PLAYING OBJECTIVE, GET THE FUCKING FLAG!"

CyReN

And I still don't know if I underestimated CyReN's skill level.

bsgYG.gif

JonCha

Has anyone here played the new Tribes game? Need some team members who know what they are doing, just went 22-2 but our team still lost because they don't know what a flag is :(

(Also apparently I am god like at that game because I've been in the top 3 since I started playing)

Ascend? I don't how you can enjoy a game where more effort is put into aiming pixel-by-pixel rather than having fun, which is amplified when using a mouse.

Has anyone here played the new Tribes game? Need some team members who know what they are doing, just went 22-2 but our team still lost because they don't know what a flag is :(

(Also apparently I am god like at that game because I've been in the top 3 since I started playing)
I started playing a bit more since it hit Steam, what rank are you?

Ascend? I don't how you can enjoy a game where more effort is put into aiming pixel-by-pixel rather than having fun, which is amplified when using a mouse.
Not sure if serious.

Yeah what the hell is that? It says the game is running on a 880x720 resolution. How does that make any sense? Why would your game's resolution not be anywhere near a similar aspect ratio of 16:9 or 16:10?

I believe its not uncommon for games to run at weirder resolutions and then get scaled to 16:9-16:10.

Its also an up in resolution compared to what it was before. Which could be pretty nice.

Anyways, 60 FPS. So good to see them holding onto that. Just sucks the 360 is such hot garbage.

One of the things that always bugged me in Reach:

In the first mission when they first tell you, "Hey, LB to sprint!" they do it at a part where you have a huge amount of ground to cover, and you barely have enough sprint to cover 3/4s of it. Your team, meanwhile, sprints right on ahead of you.

It was just such an un-immersive moment, I just feel like they could've shortened that distance or something.

I don't know why this moment has always bothered me so much.

Ken

One of the things that always bugged me in Reach:

In the first mission when they first tell you, "Hey, LB to sprint!" they do it at a part where you have a huge amount of ground to cover, and you barely have enough sprint to cover 3/4s of it. Your team, meanwhile, sprints right on ahead of you.

It was just such an un-immersive moment, I just feel like they could've shortened that distance or something.

I don't know why this moment has always bothered me so much.

I don't know; it seems pretty un-immersive already when they tell you to press LB to sprint.

neoism

We ain't talking bout drugs, we talking bout practice. Not the drugs I sniff, snort, smoke and inject, nah we talking bout practice. Not that dank shit, but practice. Not no bath salts so I can eat a mothafuckah, but practice. I know drugs are bad mmmkay but we in here talkin about practice.

lol that video was crazy....

Louis Wu

So I've had this theory for a while about Super Jackpots, and Ryaaan's problems fit right into it.

The note on LIVE (during Matchmaking search) says that jackpots are awarded to people who routinely finish their games - I think that (as in many programming situations) 'zero' is a special case, and it's one that wasn't specifically coded for. The determination of whether you should be eligible or not is based on the percentage of games you've quit - it has to be below some threshhold. I think that the math breaks down at the endpoint (zero quits)... and no accommodation was made for that.

In other words, I'd bet that if Ryaaan (or anyone else with 0 ragequits/lagouts) quit ONE GAME, he'd find that he occasionally got the super jackpot on weekends.

This is based on nothing but empirical evidence (and some basic programming knowledge), so it could be utterly wrong... but I bet it's not. :)

Tawpgun

Whats this about tournament shenanigans I don't even know whats happening anymore. Kittens/Senador, do we have a game time yet? Do we even know who we're facing?

FyreWulff

So I've had this theory for a while about Super Jackpots, and Ryaaan's problems fit right into it.

The note on LIVE (during Matchmaking search) says that jackpots are awarded to people who routinely finish their games - I think that (as in many programming situations) 'zero' is a special case, and it's one that wasn't specifically coded for. The determination of whether you should be eligible or not is based on the percentage of games you've quit - it has to be below some threshhold. I think that the math breaks down at the endpoint (zero quits)... and no accommodation was made for that.

In other words, I'd bet that if Ryaaan (or anyone else with 0 ragequits/lagouts) quit ONE GAME, he'd find that he occasionally got the super jackpot on weekends.

This is based on nothing but empirical evidence (and some basic programming knowledge), so it could be utterly wrong... but I bet it's not. :)

I actually had the same theory. And I'm definitely convinced of it now - they're looking for 'normal' user behavior.

JHall

Finally able to post after 6 months of waiting for my account to be activated!

Been lurking around almost 3 years.

Feels good man, feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom