• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Why don't we have a bracket made already?

Everyone should know who they're facing and then coordinate with that team to get it done.

Louis Wu

I'd never do that.
Okay, serious question - why would you?

I can understand the concept behind objective holding. I don't particularly like it -but I can understand it.

This isn't objective holding, though; this isn't outshooting your opponents until the clock runs out... this is setting up a trap where they spawn in a very specific place, every single time, and you (or your teammates) beat them down from behind before they can move/duck/shoot/ANYTHING... over and over and over and over and over again.

It's LITERALLY shooting fish in a barrel. There is zero challenge, almost zero risk. (Every once in a while, one of us would spawn somewhere else - this is how I scored, in fact.)

What is fun about this? It's 11 minutes of your night spent doing... well, pretty much nothing. Are people REALLY that willing to waste lives?

Again - this is a serious question. I don't get it.

Louis Wu

what glitch?
This one. (Described here.) That video shows one guy spawnkilling a bunch of people who don't move off spawn for a second or two - but he's doing it almost alone. (He's got a buddy shooting runners, but the rest of the team is somewhere else.) Now imagine a team of 5 who set up on each spawnpoint... you don't even have to have people who don't react instantly to succeed, because THEY CAN'T MOVE. It's insane.

I guess I'm amazed I've never run into this before. It actually seems pretty simple to set up.

I can understand the concept behind objective holding. I don't particularly like it -but I can understand it.

This isn't objective holding, though; this isn't outshooting your opponents until the clock runs out... this is setting up a trap where they spawn in a very specific place, every single time, and you (or your teammates) beat them down from behind before they can move/duck/shoot/ANYTHING... over and over and over and over and over again.

It's LITERALLY shooting fish in a barrel. There is zero challenge, almost zero risk. (Every once in a while, one of us would spawn somewhere else - this is how I scored, in fact.)

What is fun about this? It's 11 minutes of your night spent doing... well, pretty much nothing. Are people REALLY that willing to waste lives?

I'm going to try and say this without being offensive because i have alot of respect for you, You're admittedly an older gentlemen time to you on a short scale id imagine has much more worth than it does for some 15-20 year old.

This band of players are also more prone to a fascination with trolling and/or padding stats and getting that crazy awesome k/d its easy for them to waste 10-15 mins abusing the game and to ruin your experience because they play for along time per session. People like you have commitments i assume and play short sessions and such want to get more from each game.

FyreWulff

This one. (Described here.) That video shows one guy spawnkilling a bunch of people who don't move off spawn for a second or two - but he's doing it almost alone. (He's got a buddy shooting runners, but the rest of the team is somewhere else.) Now imagine a team of 5 who set up on each spawnpoint... you don't even have to have people who don't react instantly to succeed, because THEY CAN'T MOVE. It's insane.

I guess I'm amazed I've never run into this before. It actually seems pretty simple to set up.

It is. Zealot's spawns are completely broken. But neither Bungie or 343 are interested in updates of maps that are just spawn changes. I wish they'd just remove the map from any sided Objective gametypes.

In SWAT Zealot, you can spawnforce by just capturing the outer territories and letting the other team have the center one. If you leave it like that, the territory weights the spawns so much that the team spawns on the bottom center and it becomes a shooting gallery. This is also why on Last Resort you should never cap the first territory until near the end of the game.

Striker

People care that much to parade their K/D around and go online to brag about it.

Louis Wu

I'm going to try and say this without being offensive because i have alot of respect for you, You're admittedly an older gentlemen time to you on a short scale id imagine has much more worth than it does for some 15-20 year old.

This band of players are also more prone to a fascination with trolling and/or padding stats and getting that crazy awesome k/d its easy for them to waste 10-15 mins abusing the game and to ruin your experience because they play for along time per session. People like you have commitments i assume and play short sessions and such want to get more from each game.
lol - I'm closer to death, so time is more precious. :)

(That's not offensive - I suppose it's even true.)

Overdoziz

Banned

I'll say one thing about it; if you're able to spawn-kill the other team for an extended period of time then trueskill has failed miserably.

Louis Wu

I'll say one thing about it; if you're able to spawn-kill the other team for an extended period of time then trueskill has failed miserably.
fionnnaaaa.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It is not 'crazy awesome k/d' if it's done though exploitation. They might just as well write their chosen K/D on a blackboard in colorful chalk. Cheating is cheating. Acting like it's clever satire or clever commentary on the game's failings ignores what they're doing. They're being douches to the other team. That's the main achievement here. Don't color it differently. It's also a form of victim blaming.

789shadow

Banned
It is not 'crazy awesome k/d' if it's done though exploitation. They might just as well write their chosen K/D on a blackboard in colorful chalk. Cheating is cheating. Acting like it's clever satire or clever commentary on the game's failings ignores what they're doing. They're being douches to the other team. That's the main achievement here. Don't color it differently. It's also a form of victim blaming.
Hey Stinkles, ban em from Reach.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Reminds me of that Halo 2 mod where the other team makes you spawn in one place and you get 4 BRs lighting you up the instant you spawn.

Overdoziz

Banned
If only there was a tool in the game to fix the exploit.

FyreWulff

Reminds me of that Halo 2 mod where the other team makes you spawn in one place and you get 4 BRs lighting you up the instant you spawn.

My favorite part is when you ran into a newbie modder that made it so everyone off-host got the same gun.

In those games I'd just hold down the right trigger and hope the host saw me pull it before I died. Got lucky on Backwash and got an immediate Killtrocity from my turbo-BR wiping out the entire mod team.

Louis Wu

Well yeah, but you can only pull it off against terrible players.
I suppose I've never really taken your definition of 'terrible' seriously... but still. Setup seems to go like this:

Grab the enemy flag, drop below the base. Stay alive long enough to have all your teammates kill the opposing team. (This part requires either luck or greater overall skill. It doesn't require that the less-skilled team be 'terrible' - just that it be unable to stay alive long enough to kill the flag carrier. Given that it was a two-flag game, and that at least one person was probably headed to pick up the OTHER flag, it's not even unreasonable.)

That's it. Once you're below their base, with the flag in hand... you've forced their spawns. Period. Set up for fast kills, play out the 12 minutes.

Again, I guess I'm most surprised that it hasn't happened to me before now.

This would be true only if there was an ACTUAL barrel with ACTUAL fish that you were shooting. "Literally" means word for word, without exaggeration. Your example was not literal.
We were fish. Zealot's lower level was the barrel. Glug glug.

Havok

It is. Zealot's spawns are completely broken. But neither Bungie or 343 are interested in updates of maps that are just spawn changes.
Which is borderline shameful. All it takes is an extra Flag Away zone. It is so odd to me that the same folks who mysteriously removed Hologram from Objective gametypes (Bungie) because of a possible exploit would drag their feet so hard on fixing situations like Zealot and Prisoner (which, to be fair, was fixed--was that the same fix you were working on?). At least now we have confirmation that they even know there's a problem with it.

I expect the internet to be full of jerks who try to do this every chance they get. I expected more from Bungie, especially, than them ignoring the issue entirely.

Louis Wu

Wat? No, especially in a competitive game this is the furthest thing from the case.

Is it fun? No. Does it ruin "casual" play? Yes, but it's not cheating in the least.
I've seen some very high-level play on The Pit, where precise setup and map control led to a spawntrap situation that was nearly impossible for pros to break out of. I remember being impressed with the skill and coordination it took to make it happen.

This is something totally different. It doesn't take any real skill or coordination - it takes knowing about the glitch, and it takes your opposing team NOT knowing about it.

Remember Carneyholes? Where Chris Carney built secret ammo stashes into Halo 2 maps during testing, so he could pull out a Rocket Launcher when nobody was expecting it?

That's what this is. Our mistake was not realizing it could happen.

Overdoziz

Banned
I suppose I've never really taken your definition of 'terrible' seriously... but still. Setup seems to go like this:

Grab the enemy flag, drop below the base. Stay alive long enough to have all your teammates kill the opposing team. (This part requires either luck or greater overall skill. It doesn't require that the less-skilled team be 'terrible' - just that it be unable to stay alive long enough to kill the flag carrier. Given that it was a two-flag game, and that at least one person was probably headed to pick up the OTHER flag, it's not even unreasonable.)

That's it. Once you're below their base, with the flag in hand... you've forced their spawns. Period. Set up for fast kills, play out the 12 minutes.

Again, I guess I'm most surprised that it hasn't happened to me before now.
I've seen people try it against us and with fairly even teams it either fails before it's even set up or if they do succeed in setting it up it falls apart fairly quickly. I think the fact that you've rarely encountered it says enough. Unless the teams are imbalanced it will rarely happen.

Not to say that it isn't an exploit that shouldn't be fixed. I'm surprised Bungie and now 343 haven't done anything about it as it's an easy fix. I haven't looked into the spawnzones on Zealot but I imagine just removing the flag-away spawnzone would solve the problem. Flag games will play a bit differently now with people being able to spawn everywhere on their side of the map when the flag is away, but it's definitely better than only being able to spawn in one spot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've seen some very high-level play on The Pit, where precise setup and map control led to a spawntrap situation that was nearly impossible for pros to break out of. I remember being impressed with the skill and coordination it took to make it happen.

This is something totally different. It doesn't take any real skill or coordination - it takes knowing about the glitch, and it takes your opposing team NOT knowing about it.

Remember Carneyholes? Where Chris Carney built secret ammo stashes into Halo 2 maps during testing, so he could pull out a Rocket Launcher when nobody was expecting it?

That's what this is. Our mistake was not realizing it could happen.

I understand that, I'm simply addressing his "always" comment about spawn trapping.

Exploiting a glitch will always be cheating, I agree with you there.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well the guys responsible for Reach at 343i could fix it if you ask them no? If its a budget issues I will pay pal you the $$$ :p

kylej

Banned
An employee of 343 coming here and complaining about spawns on a map instead of actually fixing them really helps cement my expectations for Halo 4 matchmaking. I guess that's good.

Anyway we do that every time we play Zealot. I think Risen got a killing frenzy with the flag doing that the other night, it was hilarious. I always find it strange when people have these grandiose ideas of what's morally right and wrong in a game that revolves around shooting other people in the face until they scream and collapse on the ground. There's a way to stop this stuff from happening without even changing the spawn locations too; it's called proper matchmaking. The only way you can pull goofy shit like that off is if the other team is terrible, if even teams were paired up against each other you would never have a chance to spawn trap like that.

I don't see it as being any different than Zorabotic's MLG wizardy which I happen to think is pretty amazing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnWKA0ePVw&t=0m47s

Is Plywood's team playing today? They're gonna run train. One of my teammates apparently is dropping out and I think the other can only play for like 1 night out of the 10 available so me and Booties are gonna need some replacements I think.

FyreWulff

Pretty much. People gripe about anything that is effective... and kills them consistently.

There's a difference between knowing where a team will spawn from and handling it versus NOT GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO EVEN PLAY. Nobody is having fun spawning and dying a second later. The only purpose the game is serving at that point is to pad the other team's stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom