• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly you haven't played with high level players then if you are discarding the possibility of breaking a spawn trap.

Also this issue seems to be specific of team objective and not MLG Zealot, while i Have played hundreds of team objective, I have played more than a thousand games on MLG and I havent been spawn trapped without chance of escaping.

That's because MLG test their shit properly. And they do it all with minimum of fuss. If something is obviously broken they amend it sharpish. Killa KC, one fucking man, organises this.

wwm0nkey

Could a system be put in place where if you die 2 to 3 times in a row close or on your spawn point that it will just spawn you somewhere else knowing that you were being spawn trapped?

CyReN

9hrs until showdown.

*beatdown

xxCKn.gif

Louis Wu

A million years ago, Cunbelin (who now works for Bungie) linked to this article, written by Sirlin back before some of the people reading this forum were born. I remember reading it and thinking two things:

1. He's a dick for talking down to the scrub in this article
  2. He's completely right

I can't control how the other team plays when I play online. I can control a few things:

Who I play with
What I play
How I react to unsportsmanlike conduct

In general (MOST of the time), playing with a full team will avoid most of the dickishness in Matchmaking. (You'll occasionally run up against another full team that's way better than you are, and if they choose to be douchebags, you'll either have to take it or quit out.)

In general (a LOT of the time), you won't even ENCOUNTER dickishness; the majority of players are actually just having fun. (I understand that almost every day there's another report of dickishness brought to this forum, and indeed probably almost EVERY gaming forum on the internet... but when I look at the corpus of the games I play, dickishness shows up in a relatively small minority. It's just that these games stick in our heads because of the injustice.)

Finally, even when I DO encounter dickishness... I've found that it's a lot less painful if I let it roll off my back and just play another game. If I let it get to me, I play worse in the next game, and SMALLER amounts of dickishness have the same ability to make me angry; the experience degrades at a faster and faster rate. If I laugh it off and move on, I can have fun in the next game, and my night doesn't get ruined. I understand that this is pretty tough for most of us. Life's better when you get good at it, though.

Bottom line: I'd love it if everyone was a good sport. I think that some basic stuff should be put in place to HELP people be good sports. (Fixing the spawn problem on Objective Zealot, for example, would help the overall experience.) I don't think that people should be FORCED to be good sports. (I'm not in favor of more draconian rules, for example, and I'm not in favor of classifying things like spawntrapping as 'cheating'.) And I'd love it if Matchmaking could do a better job of putting together evenly-matched teams (without having to pay for it with hugely-long search times). Yes, I understand that last one is a pipe dream.

I certainly do my share of losing, and for the most part, I do it gracefully. Last night's game was not a good example of this; it really felt unreasonable. I don't mind being outplayed - I mind being screwed. And that's what it felt like. (I didn't quit out because I was playing with a team of friends, and I don't do that. I probably would have quit out if it had been a team of randoms.)

Anyway, I thought the Sirlin article was relevant, and wanted to bring it up. :)

BigShow36

you're right - its hard to draw the line "legally" but ethically? Subjective and difficult.

I think the "ethics" of video games are convoluted at best, and when you're playing in a competitive setting against strangers, they're non-existent. The only way to apply ethics is to physically prevent the players from doing whatever you don't want them to do.

Trey

@Wu-tang: I liked his yomi articles more. advanced RPS!

I think the "ethics" of video games are convoluted at best, and when you're playing in a competitive setting against strangers, they're non-existent. The only way to apply ethics is to physically prevent the players from doing whatever you don't want them to do.

Yeah, but when you're making a blockbuster game, you have to consider the "ethics" and subjective desires of a wide variety of players.

I understand where the stinkman is coming from.

Caja 117

That's because MLG test their shit properly. And they do it all with minimum of fuss. If something is obviously broken they amend it sharpish. Killa KC, one fucking man, organises this.

That's correct, also, I think a 5 man team objective on Zealot doesnt help either.

In Halo 4 is it possible to have maps that regulate the AA? I would love to have a midship and Lockout type map in terms of size. You can just take off PV, Jet packs and any other AA that will mess up the flow of the game on that map.
I was hoping/thinking there was a classic mode with no load outs? Would never touch the new modes if we had competitive Halo to play instead.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't think I am, I think it really comes down to certain people here. From what I've observed from lurking, some people here aren't' interested in a "fair" or "competitive" match. They only want to win in the easiest way possible, and even when they get a win in say, Team Objective. They hold onto that flag for a couple extra minutes so they just do their best to farm kills, get more points, and turn it into a temporary match of team slayer.

To mean the "real sport: equivalent would be if a basketball team was winning, by a lot with say... 30 seconds left, they start being showboats doing their best to embarrass other players with their fancy moves.

It suddenly becomes less about playing a competitive game, and being unsportsmanlike, and an asshole really.

What the fuck are you talking about? I was referring to your post about spawntrapping the specific situations it presents. Spawn killing, spawn trapping and spawn predictions have always been and will continue to be a large part of Halo. It just happens naturally as you get better at the game. It's just easier on some maps than it is on others.

heckfu

Banned
Clearly you haven't played with high level players then if you are discarding the possibility of breaking a spawn trap.

Also this issue seems to be specific of team objective and not MLG Zealot, while i Have played hundreds of team objective, I have played more than a thousand games on MLG and I havent been spawn trapped without chance of escaping.

You are so right. Hopefully one day I can be as pro and play thousands of games on MLG.

CyReN

Heads up Killa KC doesn't do testing for MLG anymore, he got a promotion. Going to be interesting for testing when it comes to Halo 4.

Stealth check out THC rules post.

A quick 3-0 for us :)

Is there a link to the rosters, gametypes, etc for tonight?

What the fuck are you talking about? I was referring to your post about spawntrapping the specific situations it presents. Spawn killing, spawn trapping and spawn predictions have always been and will continue to be a large part of Halo. It just happens naturally as you get better at the game. It's just easier on some maps than it is on others.
Couldn't have worded it better myself. Onslaught is the best example. You literally take turns spawn trapping

Gray Man

Banned
you're right - its hard to draw the line "legally" but ethically? Subjective and difficult.

Its not really something you can punish someone for, I feel like its just something some people are either ok with, or aren't. I think it stifles competition when you spawn trap/camp.

Heads up Killa KC doesn't do testing for MLG anymore, he got a promotion. Going to be interesting for testing when it comes to Halo 4.

Stealth check out THC rules post.

Is there a link to the rosters, gametypes, etc for tonight?
1 bomb on boneyard, heavies on cragmire, ar only hemorrhage

FyreWulff

ehhhh I love Halo 2 but I was spawn trapped quite a few times on there too.

Oh man, Halo 2's spawn system.

There was a spot you could stand on in the other team's sniper spawn on Sanctuary and they'd spawn top middle into your sniper rifle's reticule over and over again.

The spawn system has gotten SO much better since the old days, I just wish they'd stop holding it back with maps from previous games.

Striker

don't think the spawns were bad in Halo 2. So i have no idea what they did to mess it up in Halo 3.
Spawns in general Halo were never Bungie, or Halo's, strong suit. They just seemed far worse than normal in 3 and Reach for some reason, whether it is forge spawns or something else. The terrible spawning in Narrows, High Ground, Uncaged, you name it. It's borderline hilarious at times.

Overdoziz

Banned
Some people here are forgetting that normal spawn-trapping and the spawn-trapping on Zealot is not the same. Normal spawntrapping means you're under fire a few moments after you've spawned. On Zealot you're standing right behind the spawnpoints smacking them in the back right as they spawn. There's a big difference. The former requires a lot of skill and coordination (especially in something like the MLG playlist) to do consistently while the latter is much easier to set up.

Some people here are forgetting that normal spawn-trapping and the spawn-trapping on Zealot is not the same. Normal spawntrapping means you're under fire a few moments after you've spawned. On Zealot you're standing right behind the spawnpoints smacking them in the back right as they spawn. There's a big difference. The former requires a lot of skill and coordination (especially in something like the MLG playlist) to do consistently while the latter is much easier to set up.

Shut up Suddoth.

Caja 117

You are so right. Hopefully one day I can be as pro and play thousands of games on MLG.

Is almost impossible without a popper ranking system or more strict matchmaking search, In MLG reach you are never sure if You are playing against a Game Battle team or a team of casuals.

IHaveIce

Banned

this. It's not so easy to spawntrap somebody on most of the maps without skill so I don't think the spawns were that bad back then.

It's just that some maps make it easier and some are totally stupid like Zealot Objective in this case

I do not hate Reach. It is the worst Halo game. At the end I still have a lot more fun with Reach than CoDMW2 or BF. That's the reason I am putting the game in the tray sometimes.

It is not 'crazy awesome k/d' if it's done though exploitation. They might just as well write their chosen K/D on a blackboard in colorful chalk. Cheating is cheating. Acting like it's clever satire or clever commentary on the game's failings ignores what they're doing. They're being douches to the other team. That's the main achievement here. Don't color it differently. It's also a form of victim blaming.

Just to clarify I do not condone what players like this do. I was simply offering a reason behind their cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom