• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh don't misunderstand, I would TOTALLY play it. However, if I had a say, I would rather them leave Halo 2 alone. While I played CE, Halo 2 is the one that has the best memories for me and best MP (IMO) and would rather it be retired as what it was instead of remade and taint those memories (I'm look at you, jetpacks on Prisoner).

Are you kind of assuming that if they do H2, they will do a H2 map pack/H2 classic hoppers? Cause I'd agree I don't really want that.

1) Save image to HDD.

2) Print out on large paper (expand image if necessary).

3) Lay on bed and drape over face.

LOL

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How would you suggest I do it? I thought the method was good, I just didn't execute it perfectly.
The games were close, in fact both games saw Hydrakrow.map in the lead at the start and the score would then maintain pretty closely until around the end.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Helped me with my(at the time, half completed) stats, and analyzed it from there.

I'll probably end up doing that for the next tourney, get a better feel of each player.

Also, something I'm considering doing: Declaring an MVP at the end. Give away a prize, maybe? Or just a cool medal, haha.

Good question. We play team CarryFu - I don't know if there are any rules about playing our next match before the current round is finished or not. Monsterfracas...?

This is so silly. This uses EXACTLY THE SAME SOURCE (the ExpertZone Q&A that surfaced last week) as all the articles that are suggesting they MIGHT be doing it, since they didn't deny it.

It's all rumor. Until 343 says "we're making this" or "we're not making this", it's pointless to try and figure out whether it's happening or not.
Buzz kill. Please don't try to be realistic on these here forums.
Am I the only one who doesn't want a Halo 2 remake? Keep all the resources on new games and leave legends resting.
I say wait until Xbox 3.

How would you suggest I do it? I thought the method was good, I just didn't execute it perfectly.

I would suggest a future tournament model itself after the Bungie Pentathlon. Divide everyone into four main groups:
1. Grizzled Ancients
2. Old Skool
3. Middle School
4. Newbies

Organize times of games and each group will workout who's available to play at what time. Of course the structure of the tournament would be different as it wouldn't be one team, and we would have to figure out the time ranges for each group, but I think dividing everyone this way would make it more fun.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Good question. We play team CarryFu - I don't know if there are any rules about playing our next match before the current round is finished or not. Monsterfracas...?

Oh sorry, just caught this. Anyone who'd like to get their match in early, feel free to go ahead. Entirely up to you guys, all I'm doing is putting down a deadline and encouraging communication.

Risen

SPRINT BEHIND COVER

DOESN'T MATTER, BULLETS ANYWAY

dat Michigander internet... I think they have a super secret connection society

Edit:

Placing people in tiers based on their stats is flawed. Stats are just data points and have very little relation to one's skill beyond very GENERAL terms. You have multiple tier 2 players who would be tier 1, multiple tier 1 players who would in fact be tier 2, tier 3 players that are tier 2, and tier 3 players that would be tier 4/5.

Looking at the most played list is fine... but stats in and of themselves, even with those lists do not show the impact people have in a team game. Give me two players, both at 1.65 KD, with the same lists played... and one could be uber aggressive that is going to get punished in a team oriented tourney, while another may be a super team mate that will spread shots and shine. There is almost no way for you to break down and place people in tiers without having experienced real play time with them.

There is simply too much that goes into being a player that individual stats can't catch. There are tons of folks with good shots who are going to get beat on by excellent players, and people who have average shots who are going to thrive against excellent players given awareness, quickness of thought, etc...

I was watching this video again and noticed Steitzer says "overshield" when the player picks it up. I hope 343 dials down his involvement. His voice is meant to supplement something cool you've done – and even then, only limiting it to the coolest of things. I wouldn't describe picking up an overshield as doing something cool or otherwise noteworthy.

I wonder what CA did with the coliseum wall, that's like the ugliest, most bland piece ever.

I was watching this video again and noticed Steitzer says "overshield" when the player picks it up. I hope 343 dials down his involvement. His voice is meant to supplement something cool you've done – and even then, only limiting it to the coolest of things. I wouldn't describe picking up an overshield as doing something cool or otherwise noteworthy.
OVERSHIELD +10

kylej

Banned
Yo kyle, we playing Halo tonight?

yep. I'm trying to squeeze my way out of work, things are so busy these days. dat interest rate. Anyway I might be a little late but I can say within 99% chance I'll be home around 4:30pm est, so play some warmups without me if I'm not there are 4pm.

oh yeah and Jazzy is probably going to give me the dee. I haven't played Halo seriously since like Friday so I'm so cold and rusty already

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, cool stuff and important stuff, like "Flag Stolen!" There's other ways to cue players in that they picked up an Overshield -- we don't need it verbally announced to us. The more it happens for "cool stuff", the less cool it becomes. Give me a pat on the back when I get a double kill, not when I pick up a power-up.

Overdoziz

Banned
Or he could stop overemphasizing every word. Saying "Overshield" in a fairly monotone way would be fine. Telling people they're assassinating someone is incredibly dumb, though.

Aggrotek

Guys I think I'm done with Reach. Shit last night was ridic. So ready for Halo 4... I dunno what I'm gunna play for 2 months until Borderlands 2 comes out...

Or he could stop overemphasizing every word. Saying "Overshield" in a fairly monotone way would be fine. Telling people they're assassinating someone is incredibly dumb, though.

All of what Steitzer says is superfluous, but in past games it's been limited and he says it in a very cool way, so it's okay. If you remove the way he says things, all it becomes is superfluous information, and so there's no need to keep it in there.

I say wait until Xbox 3.

Of course it would be on the Xbox Infinity. It will have already been out for a year if you do the 10 year anniversary of the game, and if you release it next year, it could drop when the new box does.

Gotta let the noobz know what's going on bro!

Ok maybe my connection is sometimes in my favor.

(anybody know how to dl this video and put it up on youtube?)
That's Halo 3 for ya.

Would you rather they put "OVERSHIELD!" in the middle of your screen?

I'd rather neither. Stuff like Steitzer saying "overshield" and text popping up in the middle of your screen, these are choices I don't quite understand; maybe for a lack of information. If they're designed to help new players, why weren't they in Halo 3 or Reach? What's different this time?

More likely they're just stylistic choices.

JonCha

Okay. If you want to do it like half 10 my time that's cool. I'll get on for half 9 though.

And I'm pretty bad at this game great at staying alive, sucky at getting kills.

Oh, assemble team ASAP.

Edit: and yeah, it's a stylistic choice that'll be one of the few things people end up not liking. Though to be fair, it's probably said because you're picking up something from an Ordance Drop. It'd feel strange if there was nothing said.

yep. I'm trying to squeeze my way out of work, things are so busy these days. dat interest rate. Anyway I might be a little late but I can say within 99% chance I'll be home around 4:30pm est, so play some warmups without me if I'm not there are 4pm.

oh yeah and Jazzy is probably going to give me the dee. I haven't played Halo seriously since like Friday so I'm so cold and rusty already

CyReN

1FvNv.png

cocamola

Banned
I would suggest a future tournament model itself after the Bungie Pentathlon. Divide everyone into four main groups:
1. Grizzled Ancients
2. Old Skool
3. Middle School
4. Newbies

Organize times of games and each group will workout who's available to play at what time. Of course the structure of the tournament would be different as it wouldn't be one team, and we would have to figure out the time ranges for each group, but I think dividing everyone this way would make it more fun.

I'm down. Newbies represent!

I'd rather neither. Stuff like Steitzer saying "overshield" and text popping up in the middle of your screen, these are choices I don't quite understand; maybe for a lack of information. If they're designed to help new players, why weren't they in Halo 3 or Reach? What's different this time?

More likely they're just stylistic choices.

It's all for making the game more approachable for people that haven't played a trillion hours of every Halo game like everyone here has. It's no secret that Halo is not nearly as approachable for new players as most other AAA games out there these days. Most games over the past five years had slapped you in the face with information, and gamers have grown accustom to and expect that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Middle screen text is silly.

There are plenty of Halo Community Gaffers who played it. Ask them how it felt. I have obviously seen reams of test data regarding this fact, but talking to real people is more illuminating. Not ONE person I have asked about this had anything bad to say about it experientially.

It absolutely LOOKS distracting when you're watching. But in play, it's almost invisible and basically subliminal information. If this proves untrue when you try it I will personally buy you a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom