• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone getting the "loading information from Xbox live" prompt that won't go away right now? I can't pla.

Nvm it's just extremely slow and painful for me right now.

Live has been absolutely horrid for some reason. Got my search restarted when I had 8 locked in, then had a game go blackscreen for a couple minutes and come back really laggy.

GG's team Warwood. Very fun games. Shame I choked so hard at the second half of both matches.

I'll admit, when ZoosJoos quit out, Krow and I weren't sure what to do. After rewatching the match, he wasn't gone for long but man I couldn't refocus (totally my fault of curse, an awesome game regardless).

That First Strike against Cyren going for rockets was a thing of beauty if I do say so myself.

heckfu

Banned
GG's team Warwood. Very fun games. Shame I choked so hard at the second half of both matches.

I'll admit, when ZoosJoos quit out, Krow and I weren't sure what to do. After rewatching the match, he wasn't gone for long but man I couldn't refocus (totally my fault of curse, an awesome game regardless).

That First Strike against Cyren going for rockets was a thing of beauty if I do say so myself.

Wait, why did he quit out?

If you play tonight and I'm not on tweet me and I'll get on
Sounds good cabron

Akai__

Live has been absolutely horrid for some reason. Got my search restarted when I had 8 locked in, then had a game go blackscreen for a couple minutes and come back really laggy.

I heared the Xbox LIve server were down a few days ago and some people couldn't play. Maybe it's a sideeffect of this scenario?

Somebody know what thar Reach update was I got today? Not played a while, so I don't know when it first appeared.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

The question on if ODST helmet will be in. We haven't seen it yet and some of us really, really hope it's in.

Sorry to be a pest, but it's my favorite helmet in the series aside from Pilot introduced in Reach.

At least say if you can't answer it, although I don't know why it would be secret.

Someone please photoshop CORTANA in white text across this gif to subtly provide information on who that is in the picture plz.

Hope this allows the new players to understand better.

ibbUQTx8eOBVS4.png
Inspired by the completely unnecessary nav points on the new Warthog

FyreWulff

Wait what, you need an HDD to access your File Share?

I have 600MB of space on this USB key, what the fuck. Well that throws a wrench in things.

blamite

Something I do want to voice concern about for the spectator experience, is the Armor Ability icons. Someone new to the game is not going to know what all those different geometric patterns mean.

They aren't intuitive.

I would like to see those altered in the final build so that it becomes more apparent if someone is using a Jet Pack, Hologram, etc for a spectator, or even a newcomer to the game.
Absolutely, Aside from Hologram, I have no idea which AA is which from the icons. They all just look like different configurations of arrows making up different shapes. Reach had the right idea of making each icon a very simple depiction of the action performed. This isn't really hard to fix, Hardlight shield should be a simple image of a shield, thruster pack should be an arrow pointing left and right, Jetpack should be a simplified image of a jetpack, or an arrow pointed up.

Reach went through this same phase, when sprint was a lightning bolt inside a diamond, etc. With all the other efforts to make game elements easily visible tot he player, it doesn't make sense to use such obscure icons for AAs.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I guess I see two separate conversations here:

1. Cortana's new design in Halo 4 is oversexualized.
2. LOL Cortana has saggy boobs in that one video clip.

I don't think people complaining about saggy boobs are doing so because they perceive Cortana as oversexualized. If anything, they're complaining cause that pic of Cortana doesn't do enough to serve the supreme needs of their nerd boners. Which, as a female, is the main importance of Cortana as a character, clearly.

And for the record, I don't know if I agree that Cortana is more sexualized (or portrayed in any otherwise fucked up way) in Halo 4. Some things I've seen make me think so, others don't. As of now, it's not an issue to me.

Ok yeah, thats very fair, I should have been more clear. IMO, it seems Cortana has been sexualized just a bit more, with a larger emphasis on certain features, and I prefer her look in Halo 3 where that did not seem to be the case.

Ah, damn.

5HwMzl.jpg

Guy on the left looks like he has the next version of the ODST armor to me. I'd be shocked if we couldn't use that armor in multiplayer.

Eh, I hope that isn't ODST, it looks more like a Spartan 4 helmet with some similarities.

He asked if the ODST armor is back for use in MP.

I'll one up that question- Can we use the ODST armor from Halo 3 ODST in Halo 4?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The question on if ODST helmet will be in. We haven't seen it yet and some of us really, really hope it's in.

Sorry to be a pest, but it's my favorite helmet in the series aside from Pilot introduced in Reach.

At least say if you can't answer it, although I don't know why it would be secret.

I'd like to see it in, but the ODST armor for Spartans always bugged me. Why would Spartans wear ODST armor pieces? They have much better Spartan armor. It just looks odd in game seeing a big Spartan with the little ODST helmet and the bolted on check plate.

u4iX

We can probably get some people on around 9 or 10 CST if that isn't too late. Tawpgun, biggy, you guys down again to play?

Tawpgun gave me a GREAT intro course to the game but I'm still a BK at it so I'll take any help I can get!

Sure! Just tweet me when you guys are getting on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd like to see it in, but the ODST armor for Spartans always bugged me. Why would Spartans wear ODST armor pieces? They have much better Spartan armor. It just looks odd in game seeing a big Spartan with the little ODST helmet and the bolted on check plate.

There's a variety of helmets available to the spartans, no reason to think they wouldn't have an adapted ODST helmet. Especially with the Spartan 4s which are more "common" than MC.

That's not exactly a confirmation, I'm hoping for official word. Either way that version looks pretty awesome! I hope it's in MP.

I appreciate you trying to inform me though. (and Blamite)

Sorry I missed your post before Blamite, thread moves super fast and I'm pretty busy.

GhaleonEB

Noticing and absorbing are not the same things. Here's a simple (relevant and connected) experiment. Go play Reach and mentally note the content of the text streams. They appear on the lower left of the screen.

Now play something super frighteningly abrupt, like SWAT or Snipers. Do the same thing.

Now think about your reticle - and what your eyes did, however briefly, while absorbing that information.

As to the "what's the point" question - there are dozens of points, all related to getting information and advice to all kinds of players. It's not going to be perfect for everyone, nothing is, but I suggest trying it - and again, I am fairly confident about this in real life.

A note on this. For all my bitching about the text on the middle of the screen in Halo 4 MP videos, what do I play the most in Reach? Firefight. What happens every single time I shoot an enemy in the face? The score pops up right next to the targeting reticule. I notice it in the sense that I keep tabs of my piling score (zomg killtacular for two grand) but I've never thought it intrusive.

Yet in videos of Halo 4 MP, I find it annoying, the reason being that I'm not also playing it and distributing my attention. With that epiphany, I don't anticipate the text being an issue, though I'll obviously need to play it first.

Risen

Noticing and absorbing are not the same things. Here's a simple (relevant and connected) experiment. Go play Reach and mentally note the content of the text streams. They appear on the lower left of the screen.

Now play something super frighteningly abrupt, like SWAT or Snipers. Do the same thing.

Now think about your reticle - and what your eyes did, however briefly, while absorbing that information.

As to the "what's the point" question - there are dozens of points, all related to getting information and advice to all kinds of players. It's not going to be perfect for everyone, nothing is, but I suggest trying it - and again, I am fairly confident about this in real life.

Truly in that example, the difference for me would be in how I relate to text in a game type that focuses on team play (default Reach), vs individual play (SWAT and Snipes) rather than a difference in type of action.

Of course noticing and absorbing are two different things... and I get moving the information in so far as when it's in the middle, more people will be able to catch what is delivered than when it was lower left. I'm sure it's part of making the game more accessible for people. The problem for me now is, I cannot escape seeing it where before I could choose to see it. Should I choose, I could check on who killed whom without seeing head shot, assist, medals, etc. I could absorb the important stuff and ignore the rest.

There is more information given than I personally value. The only information I value out of the text stream is who killed whom. Everything else is fluff.

For me... the rest adds no value to my game play experience DURING the game, and being notified of medals, assists, head shots, etc.; only adds value AFTER the game.

I'm not saying it's a particular problem (after all, I play other games with MUCH more going on than H4's display)... and I block that stuff out... nor am I worried about it exactly... just saying I'm in the camp of "less is more", and I play with a friends list full of people who feel the same way.

If I could choose where to place information, I'd rather it be out of the center... and could I choose the type of information, I'd rather not see things that have no bearing on the competition at hand. I want information that I value, to be accessible, but not necessarily overt.

My fate in humanity is gone.
Along with the word "faith."
A note on this. For all my bitching about the text on the middle of the screen in Halo 4 MP videos, what do I play the most in Reach? Firefight. What happens every single time I shoot an enemy in the face? The score pops up right next to the targeting reticule. I notice it in the sense that I keep tabs of my piling score (zomg killtacular for two grand) but I've never thought it intrusive.

Yet in videos of Halo 4 MP, I find it annoying, the reason being that I'm not also playing it and distributing my attention. With that epiphany, I don't anticipate the text being an issue, though I'll obviously need to play it first.
Yeah, that's why I asked on the previous page if the text in the middle of the screen is similar to campaign scoring or Firefight. The thing about those two items: I use the scores that pop up in the middle as a crutch. I look to them every time to confirm I got a kill.

FyreWulff

Apparently the HDD on this slim is out of warrranty. Fuck. Now I'm completely useless as a Cartographer, I can't even download maps :lol

Didn't know Reach was this limited without an HDD. I though they patched the HDD requirements out in 1.1...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Apparently the HDD on this slim is out of warrranty. Fuck. Now I'm completely useless as a Cartographer, I can't even download maps :lol

Didn't know Reach was this limited without an HDD. I though they patched the HDD requirements out in 1.1...

Turn in your badge

You hear that? That's the sound of thousands of Living Dead and BTB players rejoicing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Truly in that example, the difference for me would be in how I relate to text in a game type that focuses on team play (default Reach), vs individual play (SWAT and Snipes) rather than a difference in type of action.

Of course noticing and absorbing are two different things... and I get moving the information in so far as when it's in the middle, more people will be able to catch what is delivered than when it was lower left. I'm sure it's part of making the game more accessible for people. The problem for me now is, I cannot escape seeing it where before I could choose to see it. Should I choose, I could check on who killed whom without seeing head shot, assist, medals, etc. I could absorb the important stuff and ignore the rest.

There is more information given than I personally value. The only information I value out of the text stream is who killed whom. Everything else is fluff.

For me... the rest adds no value to my game play experience DURING the game, and being notified of medals, assists, head shots, etc.; only adds value AFTER the game.

I'm not saying it's a particular problem (after all, I play other games with MUCH more going on than H4's display)... and I block that stuff out... nor am I worried about it exactly... just saying I'm in the camp of "less is more", and I play with a friends list full of people who feel the same way.

If I could choose where to place information, I'd rather it be out of the center... and could I choose the type of information, I'd rather not see things that have no bearing on the competition at hand. I want information that I value, to be accessible, but not necessarily overt.

Nothing wrong with these thoughts or opinions, but I will reiterate, you actually won't notice in gameplay. And on balance the benefits it provides are greater than the negatives. And we MUST balance those things.

FyreWulff

You hear that? That's the sound of thousands of Living Dead and BTB players rejoicing.

Well, now I can't update Cragmire or Downlinked (for which an exploit finally cropped up that I need to fix).

NOKYARD still has like 40,000% more maps in matchmaking than I've gotten in, you're going to have to take him down next.

kylej

Banned
Nothing wrong with these thoughts or opinions, but I will reiterate, you actually won't notice in gameplay. And on balance the benefits it provides are greater than the negatives. And we MUST balance those things.

ok but why can't it be a toggle?

From a spectator standpoint, I love the text in the middle. As a player, you'll get used to it and it won't affect gameplay.

Something I do want to voice concern about for the spectator experience, is the Armor Ability icons. Someone new to the game is not going to know what all those different geometric patterns mean.

They aren't intuitive.

I would like to see those altered in the final build so that it becomes more apparent if someone is using a Jet Pack, Hologram, etc for a spectator, or even a newcomer to the game.

Yup. Had the same problem with Reach at first but those were altered during development - thankfully! I still remember a lightning bolt for "sprint".

daedalius

Sure, I'm just talking about the reasoning behind it.

That's fine.

But I think the HUD designers are probably going to do a better job designing the HUD, and then don't have to worry about writing all sorts of systems for plebes to customize(fuck up) their HUD.

Well, now I can't update Cragmire or Downlinked (for which an exploit finally cropped up that I need to fix).

NOKYARD still has like 40,000% more maps in matchmaking than I've gotten in, you're going to have to take him down next.
It's a good thing that I'm in neither of those camps so I don't have to worry about taking anyone down.

I literally have not entered the BTB playlist since Heavies was put in.

Wait, why did he quit out?

I believe there was a storm in his area or something. It threw me off and just couldn't settle again hah. At the time I wasn't sure how long they had that 'advantage' but it was only like a minute. They extended their lead from then on.

I was just glad I played somewhat decently against that Plywood host :p

Risen

And on balance the benefits it provides are greater than the negatives. And we MUST balance those things.

I like this thought process and hope all game development decisions are made with this in mind. It certainly hasn't been the case in the last couple iterations of Halo... (with many multi player decisions (IMO) of course I guess it depends on which extremes one is trying to balance.

Where you set the weights matters as much or more than how heavy they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom