• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1FvNv.png

wat

Noricart

I would suggest a future tournament model itself after the Bungie Pentathlon. Divide everyone into four main groups:
1. Grizzled Ancients
2. Old Skool
3. Middle School
4. Newbies
I like this setup a lot better! Seems more likely to be competitive.
Does this mean new to HaloGAF or new to GAF?

Wonder if it's lore, spartan ops or multi. (or any of those 3)

Overdoziz

Banned
Middle screen text is silly.
Probably an idea of the same dude who designed the custom game UI, the spartan armor, the Sniper scope and the Halo ring in CEA.
Damn that guy.

There are plenty of Halo Community Gaffers who played it. Ask them how it felt. I have obviously seen reams of test data regarding this fact, but talking to real people is more illuminating. Not ONE person I have asked about this had anything bad to say about it experientially.

It absolutely LOOKS distracting when you're watching. But in play, it's almost invisible and basically subliminal information. If this proves untrue when you try it I will personally buy you a shot.
A day will come on which I will get killed by a guy that I couldn't see because of the text and on that day I will mock you and all that you hold dear.

It's all for making the game more approachable for people that haven't played a trillion hours of every Halo game like everyone here has. It's no secret that Halo is not nearly as approachable for new players as most other AAA games out there these days. Most games over the past five years had slapped you in the face with information, and gamers have grown accustom to and expect that.
Good point.
I like this setup a lot better! Seems more likely to be competitive.
Does this mean new to HaloGAF or new to GAF?
I'd say new to HaloGAF unless someone comes up with a better reason for new to NeoGAF.

Nothing like the MLG E3 videos to get me hyped for the game.

Squidhands, Tunavi, mastrbriggy – anyone who's played the game. Can you say if the middle screen text is similar to that we've see in Firefight or in Campaign with scoring on?

Edit: I dunno why I'm so held up on this all of a sudden. lol.

There are plenty of Halo Community Gaffers who played it. Ask them how it felt. I have obviously seen reams of test data regarding this fact, but talking to real people is more illuminating. Not ONE person I have asked about this had anything bad to say about it experientially.

It absolutely LOOKS distracting when you're watching. But in play, it's almost invisible and basically subliminal information. If this proves untrue when you try it I will personally buy you a shot.

As the people from the community that have played it say they don't notice it, I'm inclined to trust them because of my experience with Battlefield 3. When people see BF3 in action (myself included), people are always like holy shit text everywhere on the screen all the time, but when I play the game, I don't notice it at all.

Wonder if it's lore, spartan ops or multi. (or any of those 3)
There are two panels on Thursday and they are Forward unto Dawn panel and a fiction panel. A Halo 4 panel is on Saturday, which is where I assume they will show the actual game off and probably some new stuff.

CyReN

It isn't that big of a deal, every person from E3 to RTX have said the same thing and it wasn't a issue in anyway.

I look at it this way though, I bet people complained about Halo medals at first in Halo 2. I always loved those and it has become a fan favorite for a lot of people playing MP over the years.

kylej

Banned

Text in middle not an optional toggle confirmed.

ugh.

Risen

I completely would think that while playing there would be so much going on, one's focus would be on game play and would likely not notice the text... particularly not remember noticing the text with the brain processing so much other information.

So it begs the question... if people don't notice it while playing, what value does it have?

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I will personally buy you a shot.

Ah the old... get um drunk so they aren't sure if they are seeing text or not routine... well played Stinkles....

No but in all seriousness, from my experiences playing COD I don't even notice the 100000 text pop ups anymore.

Can't wait to play Halo 4, couldn't make SDCC so I'll just wait till Nov. after I cast my vote.

Overdoziz

Banned
At least let us toggle the text off. It takes like 5 minutes put that in. Just let the guy who manages Reach's playlists do it, he's probably not busy.

kylej

Banned
Sideboob as another reference point.
I never noticed the light blue shimmering running along her body

ihX8Mhp9M7RRF.gif

Must've been a weird day at the office when someone hard to make that light shine across her boob. I'm back on board though.

Someone please photoshop CORTANA in white text across this gif to subtly provide information on who that is in the picture plz.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I completely would think that while playing there would be so much going on, one's focus would be on game play and would likely not notice the text... particularly not remember noticing the text with the brain processing so much other information.

So it begs the question... if people don't notice it while playing, what value does it have?

Noticing and absorbing are not the same things. Here's a simple (relevant and connected) experiment. Go play Reach and mentally note the content of the text streams. They appear on the lower left of the screen.

Now play something super frighteningly abrupt, like SWAT or Snipers. Do the same thing.

Now think about your reticle - and what your eyes did, however briefly, while absorbing that information.

As to the "what's the point" question - there are dozens of points, all related to getting information and advice to all kinds of players. It's not going to be perfect for everyone, nothing is, but I suggest trying it - and again, I am fairly confident about this in real life.

Akai__

I know the text will be barely noticeable, because I play BF3 nearly every day and I don't notice the text, until I really want it to read. So my question is, why developers decide to put the text in? I mean it's just information, about what you did a second before and most players aren't reading it.

tl;dr:
I just don't understand the phrase "you will not notice it, while playing". This phrase makes the text in the middle redudant.

Edit: Why does it take so long for me to post a comment? Nevermind, my question was already answered. :lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

and thats why.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, been lurking a long time and excited about being a part of the community. Just wanted to say hi!
Word of advice -- if you want to be accepted by HaloGAF, stop being such a waste of space and post something useful, like this:

please make Cortana's tatas less saggy in final build thank you

Edit : And on a serious note, I'm totally on board with middle of screen text now. I think it happens too often (just like with the Steitzer announcements), but I think it actually makes sense to put it in the middle of the screen. I've gotten used to it, and now it doesn't feel nearly as invasive as it did before.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Your avoidance of the ODST question makes me sad.

u4iX

From a spectator standpoint, I love the text in the middle. As a player, you'll get used to it and it won't affect gameplay.

Something I do want to voice concern about for the spectator experience, is the Armor Ability icons. Someone new to the game is not going to know what all those different geometric patterns mean.

They aren't intuitive.

I would like to see those altered in the final build so that it becomes more apparent if someone is using a Jet Pack, Hologram, etc for a spectator, or even a newcomer to the game.

daedalius

Change for the sake of change. On the bright side it could be much worse

You realize this has merit given the fact the entire franchise has been handed over to an entire new team?

They want to put their mark on it, from an artistic standpoint, to a gameplay standpoint.

Nothing will be absolutely the same.

From a spectator standpoint, I love the text in the middle. As a player, you'll get used to it and it won't affect gameplay.

Something I do want to voice concern about for the spectator experience, is the Armor Ability icons. Someone new to the game is not going to know what all those different geometric patterns mean.

They aren't intuitive.

I would like to see those altered in the final build so that it becomes more apparent if someone is using a Jet Pack, Hologram, etc for a spectator, or even a newcomer to the game.

Already the videos of Halo 4 are more 'entertaining' to spectate than Reach; 100% bloom reach makes me want to punch myself in the face, I tried to watch some old MLG stuff and I just couldn't do it.

Vire

They aren't intuitive.

Good post, I like you.

heckfu

Banned

They aren't intuitive.

The Shadowrun abilities aren't intuitive either which threw me of a LOT last night when we played.

Oh, I said we...damn it. I forgot you didn't play with us.

Overdoziz

Banned
I wish we could just move around our entire HUD. Let us put the text in the corner right above the killfeed. Want to have your ammo counter in the middle of your screen? Go the fuck ahead, more power to you. Want to change the color too? Fine. Oh, you can't see the HUD properly because of the color? Well guess what, you can change it back to a different one!

I have to say, even just watching gameplay, I don't really notice the text anymore. I feel like the people here railing against it are only noticing it because of how much they hate it. Does that make sense?

Also, Shadowrun got here, so we should definitely get some people on for that later tonight after my tournament match.

Overdoz1z said:
I wish we could just move around our entire HUD. Let us put the text in the corner right above the killfeed. Want to have your ammo counter in the middle of your screen? Go the fuck ahead, more power to you. Want to change the color too? Fine. Oh, you can't see the HUD properly because of the color? Well guess what, you can change it back to a different one!

You'd have to test for HUD Combo glitches, waste of resources™.

Edit: SlowFu

heckfu

Banned

Sorry, moving text where you want can cause BXR problems.

i keed, i keed

FyreWulff

Also, weirdest thing happened while trying to join the tourney lobby: plugging in the Turtle Beach X12 to the controller TURNED IT OFF.

It's a wired controller.

daedalius

Guess the designers don't want you mucking up their design, that they likely iterated upon for months.

Booties

Banned
Anyone getting the "loading information from Xbox live" prompt that won't go away right now? I can't pla.

Nvm it's just extremely slow and painful for me right now.

Gui_PT

We've always had text on the bottom left of the screen. Why can't it stay the same? Is it not good enough all of a sudden?

I understand what Frankie is saying, but as Over said and I agree, that text will eventually get in the way.

heckfu

Banned
Tonight. What time?

We can probably get some people on around 9 or 10 CST if that isn't too late. Tawpgun, biggy, you guys down again to play?

Tawpgun gave me a GREAT intro course to the game but I'm still a BK at it so I'll take any help I can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom