• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilty

They have their pros and cons. For Reach, I really like the way the player list is at the side and how it shows who is in your game and who is online and what parties are playing together. It's nice and effective. But I really like the way Halo 4 has all of the options set up in big and bold menus. It makes things really easy to navigate and tells you very clearly what you have selected. It's something different and I like it.

To be 100% honest, I thought we were talking about the HUD and the visual elements in game, so my bad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It sort of seems like Blue-Ray is dead. Didn't catch on like DVD did. I guess that's what happens when you try to overcharge your customers.

What? BluRay is not dead at all.

Re: UI
Halo 4's UI (minus some of the lobbies) looks great. Not sure what about Reach's UI was so amazing. I like Halo 3's UI better than Reach.

kylej

Banned
Meh. If I cared about the other player's GTs I'd simply highlight them. I'm not seeing the big deal really... The big tiles are questionable, yes, but that's more of a preference. And who knows, perhaps they'll add the extra info about the gametypes later on.

/staying positive.

For sure, people who are blind prefer the Halo 4 UI, and those of us with sight prefer the most influential and streamlined multiplayer lobby system in console game history.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Reach is far and away my favorite UI in the Halo series. My only major gripe is how poorly it communicates different gametypes in matchmaking.

UI is something that I'll definitely have to try out for a bit before I can pass final judgement, although from appearance alone Reach's seems superior.

Shadders

It sort of seems like Blue-Ray is dead. Didn't catch on like DVD did. I guess that's what happens when you try to overcharge your customers.

It's not dead, but Blu-Ray was never going to take over from DVD. The HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war was always futile, as by the time either really gained substantial marketshare we'd all be moving to digital services.

Blu-Ray currently has about 12% of the market in terms of revenue, I'd be amazed if that every got above 20%.

Digital rentals are just so convenient and (imo) fairly priced. £4-5 to watch a HD movie instantly? Perfect pricing.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's also pretty sad that you have to press X to see the active roster now. If that's not a step backwards I don't know what is. The point of active roster is being able to see who is online and what they're doing at all times.

kylej

Banned
It's also pretty sad that you have to press X to see the active roster now. If that's not a step backwards I don't know what is. The point of active roster is being able to see who is online and what they're doing at all times.

It's not a step back, it's pathetic.

Speaking of download codes - where do I access my Reach Legendary video now? There should be a visible menu in Waypoint for fancypants content.

Yeah, and it's not the most intuitive thing to find, either. I think you have to go to the video section, and it's buried in there somewhere underneath all the newer videos. Good luck.
As others have said it's also on Youtube, which might play better through the xbox, lol.

The only thing keeping Reach from being the perfect UI is the lack of gametype information that Halo 2 gave out during the loading screen.

What's wrong with the UI for the Loadouts? Or the Post Game screens? Or the Armor Custimisation screens? Or any other screen we've seen?

Oh right, we're cherry picking to suit our blanket statements, my bad.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
36ftjl.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's not a step back, it's pathetic.

Man, no need to act like they shot your dog. It's cool to have an opinion about the UI and all, but this, and seeing "so and so should be fired" is a bit nuts.

Just my two cents.

The UI in Reach is messy, and the background images make it moreso. I liked Halo 2/3 UI best because of how clean it looked, and that's the vibe I get from 4. Now the lobby for custom games/matchmaking (if they are the same) needs some work, I'd perfer Reach's list of names along the side, but that's just one area of the UI. As mentioned above, don't blanket a bad custom game screen UI to everything. Most of the UI looks great (leveling screen, armor selection, loadout, etc.).

Overdoziz

Banned
What's wrong with the UI for the Loadouts? Or the Post Game screens? Or the Armor Custimisation screens? Or any other screen we've seen?

What? People are clearly talking about the custom lobby UI which is a step back from Reach's. I know you want to land a job at 343 but it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What? People are clearly talking about the custom lobby UI which is a step back from Reach's. I know you want to land a job at 343 but it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Hrm, there have been a ton of blanket "Halo 4 UI sucks" statements clearly pushing everything into one pot, and not talking "just" about the custom game lobby.

No, people are saying Halo 4's UI sucks when the reality is, they dislike one screen. ONE screen. From a custom lobby, not even MM.

But do keep up the shtick about me getting a job at 343i, it's working wonders for my ego ^^

Gray Man

Banned
Hmm... I'm a pretty huge Fan of the Halo Reach UI... want my active Roster back :/

Oh and about the DVD and Blue Ray sales.

The adoption of Blue Ray players and discs has been significantly slower than DVD was. Blue Ray was pretty damn expensive up until recently. Plus with places like Hulu, and Netflix popping up in the past 6 years and growing in popularity, I just don't see Blue Ray going much further. Once storage becomes less of a problem, HD streaming and downloading.

In the future, with games we could see a lack of a disc. You could still go to gamestop and buy a game, but it would just a case, and like a download code.

Hm, that does kinda suck. Maybe they thought it looked too busy before or something, but I really don't need 4 big square options to take up the whole screen.

BigShow36

The point of the UI should be to display as much useful content as possible in an elegant and simple manner. The Halo 4 lobby UI reminds me a lot of waypoint; big obstructive buttons with very little relevant information. Pretty much the exact opposite of a good UI. While it will hopefully change from here to release, in its current state it's pretty worthless.

The in-game UI is quite good other than the large white text telling me completely asinine and redundant information.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
No, people are saying Halo 4's UI sucks when the reality is, they dislike one screen. ONE screen. From a custom lobby, not even MM.

But do keep up the shtick about me getting a job at 343i, it's working wonders for my ego ^^

I hear Ellis is looking for a new foot rest ;) Humpbacks need not apply.

BigShow36

Halo 4's menu is similar to what happened with halo 3. Halo 2 had great menus in game that didnt require you to open a dashboard, similar to reach.

Halo 4 aims to evolve Halo. 343 thought the best way to do it was to add another game inside of the game. So now you have to play Mahjong just to see whose in your lobby.

daedalius

I really can't get too worked up about this UI debate, I think it looks fine. Not to mention barely any of us has actually 'used' it.

The new spartan HUD looks fucking badass, and that is really what I plan to spend most of my time looking at.

So anyone from Halogaf going to be at Gencon in August?

Just flip the gamertags so they are horizontal on those gamercard things and it will be ok. That's kind of annoying to tilt your head to read.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really can't get too worked up about this UI debate, I think it looks fine. Not to mention barely any of us has actually 'used' it.

The new spartan HUD looks fucking badass, and that is really what I plan to spend most of my time looking at.

So anyone from Halogaf going to be at Gencon in August?

This is the real kicker. I agree that the custom game lobby needs some tweaks, but the E3 build we keep seeing is just that, an E3 build.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, this is a big one for me, too. Active Roster seemed to really encourage people to group up, get a party going, be social. Have there been any pics of 4's active roster? It sucks that it's behind a X button, but if it's somehow more amazing, I can forgive that...

I'm not cherry picking.

Good:
- Title Screen.
- In game scoreboard.
- Post Game Report.

Bad:
- Everything else.

Gray Man

Banned
Man, no need to act like they shot your dog. It's cool to have an opinion about the UI and all, but this, and seeing "so and so should be fired" is a bit nuts.

Just my two cents.

The UI in Reach is messy, and the background images make it moreso. I liked Halo 2/3 UI best because of how clean it looked, and that's the vibe I get from 4. Now the lobby for custom games/matchmaking (if they are the same) needs some work, I'd perfer Reach's list of names along the side, but that's just one area of the UI. As mentioned above, don't blanket a bad custom game screen UI to everything. Most of the UI looks great (leveling screen, armor selection, loadout, etc.).

Halo Reach has the best UI out of every Halo game to date. The background image may be very dominant, but it doesn't overpower anything. The way they listed players in your party, and active roster allowed you to see everyone at once, instead I can only see a couple with the rest folder underneath other squares. Squares are also less space, and more difficult to display someones name in text, larger.

Reach had "a list of names on the side" Because it not only looks beautiful, but its practical.

Yeah, this is a big one for me, too. Active Roster seemed to really encourage people to group up, get a party going, be social. Have there been any pics of 4's active roster? It sucks that it's behind a X button, but if it's somehow more amazing, I can forgive that...

You nailed this pretty well. Its so much easier to find what my friends are doing, what custom games they have going on etc etc.

You know what would be nice? If you pressed X to HIDE the roster, otherwise it was always up. I hope I can do things like check the Roster while playing a match.

kylej

Banned
This is the real kicker. I agree that the custom game lobby needs some tweaks, but the E3 build we keep seeing is just that, an E3 build.

Parts of the game that are ready to be seen by the general public are not going to be radically changed from now until the game's release in 4 months.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Parts of the game that are ready to be seen by the general public are not going to be radically changed from now until the game's release in 4 months.

Yeah, I can agree here more or less. Again though, the only UI I dislike is the player layout in custom games. If they'd rearrange that into a Reach/3/2 style list it'd be better.

Everything else looks clean and nice in my opinion.

Vire

Damn.. it's going to be like 9:00 here when the Halo 4 Fiction panel starts today.

Oh well, I guess I'll check up on the fun stuff tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom