• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

About to play Halo 4 will update with impressions soon.

Pictures!

-------

fmJrA.jpg

616103358.jpg

heckfu

Banned
Please, tell me more about this one screen you hate.

Dude, what's the big deal if he does have a problem with it? In my opinion, I hate it too. One of Reach's best assets was the UI, man. It's absolutely beautiful and it functions GREAT. It could've used some additions taken from Halo 2 (gametype specifics for each match) but the active roster was incredible.

Going back to play Halo 3 is miserable having to open the Xbox guide everytime to find friends now we know there is a better alternative. No one here actually believes this is the final build but the only way to let them know that we'd like change or anything is to express it.

I know you love 343 and the devs - I do, too. While some of us are a little more...uh...passionate(?) about the way to describe things, they don't do it out of malice. Love you, etc.

So I just got back from a test scheduling meeting and I've stumbled onto angryGAF. Apparently I'm not the only one anxious for my lunch break :)

Vire

I want that bomb, also I want that diecast Warthog! So sexy.

Lol. Why did they only film 23 seconds..? Anyways, I wonder if its the e3 build or newer.

Says E3 Infinity Slayer on the bottom right hand corner.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Getting tired of seeing the same stuff.

Damn.. it's going to be like 9:00 here when the Halo 4 Fiction panel starts today.

Oh well, I guess I'll check up on the fun stuff tomorrow.

The panel starts at 4:45pm PST. That's 7:45 on the East Coast.

Edit: Also, I don't understand how you can expect a different build given that RTX had the E3 build not a week ago.

IHaveIce

Banned
so there was no panel till now right ? just came back from work.
the plush grifball is awesome, perfect present for franklinator

Vire

The panel starts at 4:45pm EST. That's 7:45 on the East Coast.

Hm I must of read 5:45. Well, that's more reasonable. Although, there isn't going to be a live stream from what I understand so I guess waiting till tomorrow still stands. :/

The panel starts at 4:45pm PST. That's 7:45 on the East Coast.

Edit: Also, I don't understand how you can expect a different build given that RTX had the E3 build not a week ago.

Showing the same stuff at 3 Conventions in a row is a little tiresome. But I guess it's understandable...

Hopefully, the panel on Saturday still has something new.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

really?

Tashi, you might wanna wait on the Halogaf Radio until after Comicon. If the builds are the same, it might be best to get several opinions/playstyles going (esp. from biggy, since it'll be his second time playing the same thing), rather than just a couple.

Just my two cents.

Dude, what's the big deal if he does have a problem with it? In my opinion, I hate it too. One of Reach's best assets was the UI, man. It's absolutely beautiful and it functions GREAT. It could've used some additions taken from Halo 2 (gametype specifics for each match) but the active roster was incredible.

Going back to play Halo 3 is miserable having to open the Xbox guide everytime to find friends now we know there is a better alternative. No one here actually believes this is the final build but the only way to let them know that we'd like change or anything is to express it.

I know you love 343 and the devs - I do, too. While some of us are a little more...uh...passionate(?) about the way to describe things, they don't do it out of malice. Love you, etc.

I just have a problem when people start saying this Halo 4's UI is bad when there is no user experience to base it off. Art isn't something I feel as though people can or should ever "hate". There are many people who consider UI design or UX design to be an art form of sorts. This UI cannot be judged as an interface until people interface with it. It's just silly. I haven't ever really sung Halo 4's UI any praises either.

It's the blanket statements which irk me. They're silly.

Take the verse of any song and tell me the entire song sucks as a result. In UI design especially, a single screenshot isn't a lot to go by. Where do the menus go? How does the user go from each item on the page? Like, if I was to scroll to the end of the friends list on that screen and press up, would I be on 'Start Game'? How nested are the features most people will use?

Do we even know if the Active Roster had previously been hidden before that screen? What I mean is, could it be a "Press X to toggle between Current Party and Active Roster" deal?

I can't say I love it and I can't say I hate it because I do not know it. Does anyone? It's not much different to how I treat newer members here. I won't dislike someone until I know them enough. Just because someone makes a first post that is so hilariously bad doesn't mean I can say I outright hate them. That's just me. So I like to live positively, or at least, positive until proven otherwise.

I just have a problem when people start saying this Halo 4's UI is bad when there is no user experience to base it off. Art isn't something I feel as though people can or should ever "hate". There are many people who consider UI design or UX design to be an art form of sorts. This UI cannot be judged as an interface until people interface with it. It's just silly. I haven't ever really sung Halo 4's UI any praises either.

Take the verse of any song and tell me the entire song sucks as a result. In UI design especially, a single screenshot isn't a lot to go by. Where do the menus go? How does the user go from each item on the page? Like, if I was to scroll to the end of the friends list on that screen and press up, would I be on 'Start Game'? How nested are the features most people will use?

Do we even know if the Active Roster had previously been hidden before that screen? What I mean is, could it be a "Press X to toggle between Current Party and Active Roster" deal?

I can't say I love it and I can't say I hate it because I do not know it. Does anyone? It's not much different to how I treat newer members here. I won't dislike someone until I know them enough. Just because someone makes a first post that is so hilariously bad doesn't mean I can say I outright hate them. That's just me. So I like to live positively, or at least, positive until proven otherwise.

I think it's fair to assume that the Ui shown is indicative of the global Ui design.

I also think its fair to assume that we can make pretty solid judgment calls on how the Ui is going to work, sure I haven't personally flicked through the list of players yet, but from the screenshot I can tell that's a thing and I don't like it. I mean sure you might be right and there may be pre-requisites to how the Ui works which makes it easier to use, but from my own experience allowing for user interface modes like that is a messy solution.

I think ultimately Ui design is very difficult to get right and bungie really got it right, people are going to want the Ui to work well if they are planning to play hundreds of games and rely o the thing. If people get the hint it's going to be innessicarily cumbersome they are going to complain. It's silly to disregard the complaints in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's talking about the UI art, people are purely talking from a functional standpoint. I know people who got paid a bomb to do UI stuff and while it's an art form getting it right, it's not like art as in it's all based on opinions, there's a real science to it, allowing the user access to important information within x many clicks is a measure not a opinion.

I also really dislike the navigation on waypoint. :p

heckfu

Banned

I think that you're on to something with your critique but you severely miss the mark about pressing X to toggle. We didn't HAVE to toggle in Reach. You launched the game and it popped up...not saying the pressing a toggle is going to KILL me, because it won't.

But I don't like it.

Sorry bobs, you simply cannot assume anything to the scale you are implying. Please explain how Matchmaking will work based off these assumptions. Seriously. Where will playlists appear? Will descriptions be available under the item or will it be behind a button press? Will there be a button to quickly bring up a list of playlists? How might I invite friends quickly? Promoting to Leader? Booting? How easy will they be in game?

Using assumptions only, thanks.

For active roster, I don't really mind if I have to press a button or not, just let me have a button to bring up my full friends list. If active roster shows the people on Halo 4, then everyone on all the other games below it, like Gears 3, then I'll be happy with it.

I think that you're on to something with your critique but you severely miss the mark about pressing X to toggle. We didn't HAVE to toggle in Reach. You launched the game and it popped up...not saying the pressing a toggle is going to KILL me, because it won't.

But I don't like it.

My point was, what if the Active Roster is the default? Only toggle if you want a more concentrated feed.

Players who like AR will never need to press X.

The UI in other lobbies isn't going to be radically different, that would be terrible UI design. We know that Active Roster is behind a button press, even if it's a toggle, it's not there all the time, with your current lobby like Reach's is. That's not a blanket statement, that's a valid complaint.
I think it's fair to assume that the Ui shown is indicative of the global Ui design.

I also think its fair to assume that we can make pretty solid judgment calls on how the Ui is going to work, sure I haven't personally flicked through the list of players yet, but from the screenshot I can tell that's a thing and I don't like it. I mean sure you might be right and there may be pre-requisites to how the Ui works which makes it easier to use, but from my own experience allowing for user interface modes like that is a messy solution.

I think ultimately Ui design is very difficult to get right and bungie really got it right, people are going to want the Ui to work well if they are planning to play hundreds of games and rely o the thing. If people get the hint it's going to be innessicarily cumbersome they are going to complain. It's silly to disregard the complaints in my opinion.

Agreed.

I also agree Hydra that some people may be overreacting a bit based on one screen, but that is likely the design of the UI as a whole. Do you honestly expect MM screen to look radically different than the custom game screen? It's going to be very similar.

Also good news this morning, GTA V, IT LIVES!

[/B]

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

I'm blind.

Damn I was hoping for a look at the newer build. Ah well. Maybe we will see some new Spartan Ops and Forge stuff? Also, we get the trailer for FUD today.

Vire

Active Roster was a bit of an innovation so I'd be disappointed if it went.

It's not going anywhere. You just press X to view it.

One button.

That's what GAF is up in arms about.

I'm blind.

Damn I was hoping for a look at the newer build. Ah well. Maybe we will see some new Spartan Ops and Forge stuff? Also, we get the trailer for FUD today.

Maybe.. I'm not getting my hopes up at this point if it's the same build we've been seeing for the past two months on the show floor.

It sort of seems like Blue-Ray is dead. Didn't catch on like DVD did. I guess that's what happens when you try to overcharge your customers.
Shit post of the decade. Not only is blu ray far from dead it's the mainstream in terms of jd content and going to be in 2 out of the 3 next gen consoles

Overdoziz

Banned
It's not going anywhere. You just press X to view it.

One button.

That's what GAF is up in arms about.
Going from being able to see who's online and what they're playing all the time to having to bring up an extra menu to see it is not exactly an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom