• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Fuck gaming side and Halo threads.

And today i learned Halo universe is even more fucked up than i remembered. Apparently* UNSC ships can travel interplanetary distances in just a few hours with their fusion drives.
So, we are talking about acclerations of thousands of Gs (at least, 1kG would be 9810m/s^2 or so) and delta-Vs of... well, a lot. More energy than humanity can produce by 2500, probably.
With this kind of power, why the fuck is the Covenant so difficult to defeat? Fusion drives this powerful would be incredible weapons.
Of course if the Covenant is even more poweful (orders of magnitude?).. why do they have issues destroying humanity?
Haloverse doesn't make any sense.
Good thing i stopped taking Halo seriously long ago...

*According to Halopedia anyway (don't know what Halo Nation says and don't care), they're citing Fall of Reach for this.

IHaveIce

Banned

And today i learned Halo universe is even more fucked up than i remembered. Apparently* UNSC ships can travel interplanetary distances in just a few hours with their fusion drives.
So, we are talking about acclerations of thousands of Gs (at least, 1kG would be 9810m/s^2 or so) and delta-Vs of... well, a lot. More energy than humanity can produce by 2500, probably.
With this kind of power, why the fuck is the Covenant so difficult to defeat? Fusion drives this powerful would be incredible weapons.
Of course if the Covenant is even more poweful (orders of magnitude?).. why do they have issues destroying humanity?

*According to Halopedia anyway (don't know what Halo Nation says and don't care), they're citing Fall of Reach for this.
Yeah stupid things, how can it be that physics don't make sense in a fictional universe.

The best stuff about David Blaine was the YT videos spoofing him. Freaking hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxu_MQSTTY
This is even better.

I can't stop laughing damnhaha

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah stupid things, how can it be that physics don't make sense in a fictional universe.
I don't mind exaggerating stuff, for space opera like Halo you probably have to do it but...
There's such thing as unintended consequences. Consider, what happens if your universe has a replicator? Or a transporter (think Star Trek)? Without proper limits and thought, the devices probably won't be used to their maximum effect, making it harder to suspend disbelief.

So, by making UNSC to have incredibly powerful drive systems, why don't they use them to their maximum effectiveness? It is never explained, just ignored. That is simply bad writing. You might need a bit more exposition... but in a franchise like Halo, you can just dump that explanation to a source book (but for reason this has been omitted AFAIK).

Halo is not internally consistent either, depiction of space ships and their capabilities, UNSCs technology and so on are seemingly changing from book to book, game to game etc.

At very least a work of sciene fiction should be internally consistent, regardless whether it is hard or soft science fiction. Halo is not. And that is Halos major problem, fiction-wise.

Trey

I don't mind exaggerating stuff, for space opera like Halo you probably have to do it but...
There's such thing as unintended consequences. Consider, what happens if your universe has a replicator? Or a transporter (think Star Trek)? Without proper limits and thought, the devices probably won't be used to their maximum effect, making it harder to suspend disbelief.

So, by making UNSC to have incredibly powerful drive systems, why don't they use them to their maximum effectiveness? It is never explained, just ignored. That is simply bad writing. You might need a bit more exposition... but in a franchise like Halo, you can just dump that explanation to a source book (but for reason this has been omitted AFAIK).

Halo is not internally consistent either, depiction of space ships and their capabilities, UNSCs technology and so on are seemingly changing from book to book, game to game etc.

At very least a work of sciene fiction should be internally consistent, regardless it is hard or soft science fiction. Halo is not. And that is Halos major problem, fiction-wise.

The Shaw Fujikawa drive doesn't accelerate the ships, per se. The energy they release rip clumsy holes into slip space for FTL travel.

Why am I crying now? Why does my head hurt now? Why? Please! Learn the difference between "G", "g" and "a". Please!

Woorloog

Banned
Why am I crying now? Why does my head hurt now? Why? Please! Learn the difference between "G", "g" and "a". Please!

Fuck physics terms. Seriously.

I understand physics and math but i really don't give a shit about them (along with cooking, they're were my natural abilities lie, ironically. My interests lie in things i lack ability in...).

Also, fuck my day. I can't even bother being angry.

cocamola

Banned
The best stuff about David Blaine was the YT videos spoofing him. Freaking hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxu_MQSTTY

'Dat Stare.

davidblane.gif

So, after a fun, successful night of Halo, I was forced to sleep and then proceeded to wake up and head to work. Listened to Machine Head's "The Blackening" on the way. Man I totally forgot how amazing those dudes are (that album in particular).

\m/ (-_-) \m/

USF

I got Halo Anniversary but there was no code for Halo Reach Anniversary map pack (pal) Anyone had this problem? :s

Overdoziz

Banned
Just made my own Bumper Jumper controller scheme in Nexuiz. Button mapping <3
The game is really fun too by the way, just went 31-4. Kids be bad.

I got Halo Anniversary but there was no code for Halo Reach Anniversary map pack (pal) Anyone had this problem? :s
Did you buy a used version? The card is part of every edition. The only thing which should not be there is the code for the Master Chief Armor and the Grunt Funeral skull. If it was a new version, you should contact your retailer.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think that Halo 4 Xbox looks pretty sweet. I think the (very awesome) clear case makes it look more cluttered in pictures than it really is; hopefully we'll get a better look at it soon.

-------
FUD trailer was amazing, Chief is looking good. I'm really excited to see the connection to Halo 4, hearing Cortana's distress call at the end was great.

-------
Sparkast understandably overlapped a lot of the Comic-con news, but was still a good listen for my morning commute. Apparently FUD will have a first-person sequence from Master Chief's perspective... could be cool. Let's hope it works better than DOOM: The Dwayne Johnson Story™.

I'm away from my home computer, so someone else please take the E3 Ellis pic and photoshop it onto the hood of a Jaguar XJ.

daedalius

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think that Halo 4 Xbox looks pretty sweet. I think the (very awesome) clear case makes it look more cluttered in pictures than it really is; hopefully we'll get a better look at it soon.

-------
FUD trailer was amazing, Chief is looking good. I'm really excited to see the connection to Halo 4, hearing Cortana's distress call at the end was great.

-------
Sparkast understandably overlapped a lot of the Comic-con news, but was still a good listen for my morning commute. Apparently FUD will have a first-person sequence from Master Chief's perspective... could be cool. Let's hope it works better than DOOM: The Dwayne Johnson Story™.

I'm away from my home computer, so someone else please take the E3 Ellis pic and photoshop it onto the hood of a Jaguar XJ.

Great movie to put your brain on cruise control
kind of like Prometheus

a zoojoo

Banned
God, i cannot stop watching the FUD trailer, i get massive goosebumps/nerd chills whenever i watch it.
Frankie/Ellis, you guys dun gud.

EDIT: wow, slowGAF today, huh

Great movie to put your brain on cruise control
kind of like Prometheus
At least I knew going in what kind of movie to expect with Doom. I shouldn't have wasted my time with
Prometheus

I must have been young when Blaine was big, I only remember Criss Angel...
He was really only 'big' in the mid-late 90's, when he did his first special with Leonardo DiCaprio as the host of the show (yes, really). Street Magic is worth watching; he's not the giant douchenozzle that Angel is and is waaaaay less Motley Crue flashy.

Gray Man

Banned
God, i cannot stop watching the FUD trailer, i get massive goosebumps/nerd chills whenever i watch it.
Frankie/Ellis, you guys dun gud.

EDIT: wow, slowGAF today, huh

Yeah I can't stop watching that trailer either. Its the Halo like movie we have always, always wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom