• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I can definitely agree that Reach's system would work. On the extreme end of my point, it would be like giving each AA a letter. Sure I can see "BR + 'A'" but I might forget what that 'A' is at some point down the line. Of course, there exists a happy medium there too seeing as the icons we've seen aren't that abstract so the likelihood of forgetting is reduced.

Apologies Dax if I wasn't the easiest to discuss that with.

Like Shadders said, semiotics is fasinating stuff. It's come up a few times in my course and it seems like an easy thing to brush off, but it's really interesting to be aware of.

Edit: Yeah bobs, no.

Dude, what are you apologizing for? Icongate was just a small, but interesting discussion that happened because we have nothing else to talk about, lol. I'm always wondering, when I get into discussions like this, if I'm coming off as unreasonable or otherwise hard to deal with.

JonCha

Where were you when we discussed the Godzilla Jackals and Locust Grunts?

Saying 'bad' character design is a little misleading because I think all the design is good, but not when you should be attempting some continuity with the games with lower numbers before yours.

I think it's just artistic direction. Different studio, different take. I don't want to see the same Grunt design; in some ways I think the new one is better, actually.

daedalius

Dude, what are you apologizing for? Icongate was just a small, but interesting discussion that happened because we have nothing else to talk about, lol. I'm always wondering, when I get into discussions like this, if I'm coming off as unreasonable or otherwise hard to deal with.

Psh, always! :p

No way these Spops videos are on legendary.

TheOddOne

The last Sparkast mentions that the orginal idea for Spartan Ops was to have "side stories", instead of what we get now; a more linked story to the main campaign. What do people think about that?

I would have liked that they went the whole side story way, because it could have done alot of the book stories.

Talents

Banned
In terms of asthetics they really do not look like part of the existing UI.

Take the Ordnances meter for example. That looks great simple and blends with the UI its the complete opposite of the convoluted and confusing AA symbols. Reach had them perfect if you ask me, i dont see why they didnt just port them over.

These + the old icons and we are gold.

There's an autosentry?
JtTpO.gif

Where were you when we discussed the Godzilla Jackals and Locust Grunts?

Saying 'bad' character design is a little misleading because I think all the design is good, but not when you should be attempting some continuity with the games with lower numbers before yours.
What's wrong with having different-looking species of the same family? C'mon people (not singling anyone out), apes don't all look the fucking same; there's no reason that Grunts, Jackals, or any other member of the Covenant should be any different.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There's an autosentry?
JtTpO.gif

I said this before, it's probably the equivalent to an AR/Repeater on a tripod. It will be enough to annoy you, make you take a different route, or stop you for a second. Plus there's always grenades and the EMP grenade.

I doubt it's going to be a huge deal.

I'd be willing to bet PV, Thruster and regen are more broken.

Talents

Banned
I said this before, it's probably the equivalent to an AR/Repeater on a tripod. It will be enough to annoy you, make you take a different route, or stop you for a second. Plus there's always grenades and the EMP grenade.

Hopefully with regen they'll at least make it so it doesn't recharge, or you need to pick something up to recharge it, why don't they just do that with all AA's? You need to pick some sort of charger up to power the AA again... well at least for the OP AA's e.g. Camo, Regen

There is also a 4th video of another younger kid playing.

The last Sparkast mentions that the orginal idea for Spartan Ops was to have "side stories", instead of what we get now; a more linked story to the main campaign. What do people think about that?

I would have liked that they went the whole side story way, because it could have done alot of the book stories.

I like what we are getting for sure, it really seems like a continuation of SP which is awesome. We can probably see how things unfold on a smaller scale between Halo 4 and Halo 5. That said, side stories would have also been cool, both linked to SP and maybe other past ops, such as playing on Harvest when it fell, Reach, and other major and minor skirmishes throughout the Halo universe. Still, I like what we are getting, but it really would be cool if we could get DLC for Sp Ops that allows us to play past historical battles as well as current story.

And now to listen to that Podcast as I forgot with all the other media..

I think it really depends on the final product. If I enjoy whatever story is told through Spartan Ops, I don't think I'll care one way or the other.

Having missions surrounding the events of the books would be really cool, but if that leads to bad and contradictory rewrites like Reach, no thank you.

Spartan Ops also seems to be a great opportunity to work in fan service moments that necessarily may not work in the main SP, such as returning characters from past games and books. I'm really hoping to see Buck in Halo 4, and if he wouldn't work for SP, I'm sure Sp Ops may have the right opportunities.. Same goes for characters from the books. I also like the idea of fleshing out new characters such as Lasky, allowing us to get to know these characters better when we normally would have minimal interaction. In other words, Spartan Ops seems awesome from both a fictional and gameplay perspective.

Fuchsdh

What's wrong with having different-looking species of the same family? C'mon people (not singling anyone out), apes don't all look the fucking same; there's no reason that Grunts, Jackals, or any other member of the Covenant should be any different.

I'd buy that if we had seen some of these other subspecies before, or we saw "classic" Grunts alongside the new ones.

I'd also buy the BR if there was the old model on the FUD and it only changed when you linked up with the Infinity.

That attention to detail is clearly not happening.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd buy that if we had seen some of these other subspecies before, or we saw "classic" Grunts alongside the new ones.

I'd also buy the BR if there was the old model on the FUD and it only changed when you linked up with the Infinity.

That attention to detail is clearly not happening.

That we know of.

We haven't played the single player game yet, maybe they do explain most of our questions.

BigShow36

It's just one more thing that slows the game down without adding any meaningful depth.

Beckx

Seriously the less spoilers the better

I'd be happy going in with what we have now

I felt halo 3 was too spoiled for me going into it - lost all its freshness

Yep. Spoil me on everything about the interface & systems for multiplayer. Leave the content of Campaign & Spops for me to discover.

there's probably a lot of fan fiction out there that delves into this topic

Please no. You're bringing back flashbacks of my worst Halo multiplayer experience ever: community member begins to go into detail about Elite physiology, sex acts, and deviantart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom