• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zap

That's dumb. I've seen that.

Derp, but the most people who don't post in Halo threads likely haven't.

I think it's a much better hype machine than a behind the scenes video. It fit in well with all the other trailers before the movie.

TheOddOne

Derp, but the most people who don't post in Halo threads likely haven't.

I think it's a much better hype machine than a behind the scenes video. It fit in well with all the other trailers before the movie.
Truth be told, I expected the web series to look like that video.

Striker

Good/Bad weapons: irrelevant--they are all useless thanks to double melee and grenades
Where have you been in the past five years?

Also, the melee boost in strength has been one of the worst gameplay decisions yet.

Also 343, since Forge variants will end up in matchmaking:
Yeah, they definitely will be. People who don't think so are kidding themselves. 343 is making three environments, so betch your ass they'll be adding some in. Hopefully it's in the silly stuff like Grifball, Infection, Actionsack (which all three should be under Weekend rules) and a Community playlist.

cocamola

Banned
Will any 343-created Forge maps be released into matchmaking alongside the 10 regular maps? - Link1201

We won’t be putting Forge creations in the “main” matchmaking areas initially, at least. Certainly Forged variants may go in (rules, the odd object placement) eventually, but we’re still discussing how to promote and enable Forge creations in a way that maintains a separation of that kind of content from the main mix.

Best part about the bulletin; I hate playing TS/SS because of forge maps. Plus the cartographer system is corrupt, sometimes I don't know how such abominations get into matchmaking.

FyreWulff

It's not corrupt, it's just retardedly designed. See my posts in blueprint for why I think that. (I'm on mobile still , so I can't link them).

I did just try to go find your posts, but yeah, the Bungie.net forum system needs some upgrades, so I'll just wait.

I'm hoping to have something ready to go within a month, month and a half, that could possibly make the CC process much more streamlined if they (343) want to go for it. There's stuff about the process I'd like improved, and I've brought it up with them before.

cocamola

Banned

I did make a huge post on waypoint about it; Mainly calling out Papercraft (anyone who says Eden Minor is a good map should be shot). I told him the map he was working on wasn't good. He threw a tantrum and kicked us.
All the forgers do is suck up to the cartographers. I've seen decent maps rejected because they haven't brown nosed enough.

Plus for example Godlyperfection, he has 3 maps in matchmaking

FyreWulff

All the forgers do is suck up to the cartographers. I've seen decent maps rejected because they haven't brown nosed enough.

Plus for example Godlyperfection, he has 3 maps in matchmaking

I've literally never seen a map make it in because "Someone brown nosed enough". Ever. Not even once.

Plus, one or two of Godly's maps were submitted to matchmaking BEFORE he was even a cartographer. I know because I submitted Affinity, which I just grabbed off an HBO post of his.

I've had a few of my own maps not make it in, myself. Just being a Cartographer does NOT mean an auto-path to matchmaking. We've never been able to guarantee a map making it in, because there's so many stages at which a map can get dropped.

cocamola

Banned
I play the test nights, I see the brown nose from a mile away. It's sickening.
Something else that was brought up when I was speaking to Godly, the reason Papercraft became a Cartographer was because they were friends.
Now that is lulwut. The forge group just seems to be this tight group of the same people chruning out bad maps and getting accepted. It's almost impossible for new people to enter the group.

Alot of forgers are usually bad at Halo, they never play matchmaking either. All they do is sit and forge, they have no idea about map control flow or balance.

Karl2177

Something else that was brought up when I was speaking to Godly, the reason Papercraft became a Cartographer was because they were friends.
Now that is lulwut. The forge group just seems to be this tight group of the same people chruning out bad maps and getting accepted. It's almost impossible for new people to enter the group.

Alot of forgers are usually bad at Halo, they never play matchmaking either. All they do is sit and forge, they have no idea about map control flow or balance.
Join blueprint and play the tests when myself, overdoziz, or any of the gaffers are in there. We don't suck up and most of us play fairly competitively.

Fuchsdh

Well, side thought, that perhaps people here who make armor can explain:
image.axd
Why does the fan-made armor look far and away better than the Package armor we've seen in FUD? And these look better without color grading and under convention lights. Is there some sort of more time-intensive process that goes into it that they skipped, or what? I know nothing about how this stuff gets down besides seeing some WIP on 405th.

Crucio

Well I think the bulletin nearly confirms that Chyler Silva is in fact Antonio "Major" Silva's daughter.
Corbulo Academy of Military Science is an academy for the children of high-ranking UNSC officers from all branches of service, and in turn it prepares cadets for careers all across the UNSC. That ODST cadence you heard in the teaser trailer released a few weeks ago is definitely an ODST reference, but that’s more a representation of how respected the ODSTs are among everyone in the UNSC than of a specific course of training for those cadets. Those cadence calls are often ways to remind you how tough you are as you’re running your feet off on tour around the grounds, and what’s tougher to compare yourself to than an ODST? Hint: Not much.

I say, cool! and well done 343. I'm guessing hoping to see more subtle connections with character references.

Retro

Why does the fan-made armor look far and away better than the Package armor we've seen in FUD? And these look better without color grading and under convention lights.

I could be wrong, but I think a part of it is that the armor in FUD looks brand new, whereas this convention armor looks damaged as hell. There are intentional dings and bits of damage all over them too, like the wearer has been taking a ton of abuse in combat. The paint isn't professional quality so it looks a bit roughed up too. Chief's armor in FUD looks like a sports car. All nice and clean.

Homeboyd

How are one Cartographer's test sessions representative of the entire group?

Wrong.

The forge group just seems to be this tight group of the same people chruning out bad maps and getting accepted.
The point of CC is to have hands in every major community to pull maps that best represent what we're looking for at the time as they relate to future MM updates. For instance, I rarely build anything in Forge anymore. I spend 99.999% of my time with Forge and CC testing and reviewing other's maps. That said, not every CC will always agree 100% with something another CC is presenting. Either way, just because a CC passes a map along to 343, it certainly doesn't automatically get a stamp of approval for MM integration.

It's almost impossible for new people to enter the group.
There's several new CC's from the transition of Bungie to 343 and even some new ones since that transition took place. Is this just speculation, or do you have evidence that 343/CC have no intention of talking with anyone else about joining?

I... what? So, do you think those type of players don't surround themselves with 'competitive' guys and constantly consult different groups and players on their opinions and feedback?

FyreWulff

Whatever people say in the lobby doesn't really help their chances. It's still being dissected as a map on it's own in the submission process.

This is because 343 has final say on everything, including new CCs. Much like maps, we can only put names in front of them, it's up to 343 to send the invitation. They can also (and have) add CCs that barely had any ties to the existing CC group. The general aim is to have enough reps from each community, while keeping noise low compared to signal. I'd always like more people.

False. Forgers can understand gameplay mechanics without having to be an MLG Pro. edit: And talk to other people about a map.

Shadders

Well I think the bulletin nearly confirms that Chyler Silva is in fact Antonio "Major" Silva's daughter.

I say, cool! and well done 343. I'm guessing hoping to see more subtle connections with character references.

I'm pretty sure Frank said there was no relation.

I could be wrong, but I think a part of it is that the armor in FUD looks brand new, whereas this convention armor looks roughed up. The paint isn't professional quality so it looks roughed up. There are intentional dings and bits of damage all over them too, like the wearer has been taking a ton of abuse in combat. Chief's armor in FUD looks like a sports car. All nice and clean.

I have to agree with this somewhat. The Fan made stuff looks more "grounded" because they have intentionally added wear and tear. It may be an issue of material as well. Iirc, that armor in the picture is made of a type of foam so it has less of a glossy sheen factory finish to it than the FUD armor.

Do you think about to buy a camera and record some stuff? mmh. I think Paul Featherstone is on GAF or has a GAF account.
I'm pretty sure his camera costs over $1000. I wasn't planning on buying it. Just curious. I do want to purchase a entry level SLR though. Thinking about the t2i.

Whatever people say in the lobby doesn't really help their chances. It's still being dissected as a map on it's own in the submission process.

This is because 343 has final say on everything, including new CCs. Much like maps, we can only put names in front of them, it's up to 343 to send the invitation. They can also (and have) add CCs that barely had any ties to the existing CC group. The general aim is to have enough reps from each community, while keeping noise low compared to signal. I'd always like more people.

False. Forgers can understand gameplay mechanics without having to be an MLG Pro. edit: And talk to other people about a map.
I don't know how the process works or how/why certain maps are chosen, I just wish there was a better more public selection method. Make a beta playlist with only new forged maps. The most popular at the end of the month gets put into team slayer

Talents

Banned
GGs earlier guys. That was a lot of fun. Sorry I had to bail, neighbor wanted to walk dogs and he was waiting outside my door at the end of the Sanctuary game.

If you guys are playing Halo 3 customs later I'll see if I can play.

People on Neogaf still play Halo 3?!

kylej

Banned
So let me get this straight. They decided to ruin a playlist (Team Objective) by making it 5v5, and thinking they needed a 5v5 playlist because they wanted to introduce a 3rd 4v4 slayer playlist, all of which are almost identical.

To be blunt, that is a terrible decision. There is no defending that, it's just bad.

Yeah but Halo 4 matchmaking will be different. 343 won't say why, won't explain their decisions behind the Reach changes, and won't revert back to the older playlists... but Halo 4 will be better. Trust them.

Retro

I don't know how the process works or how/why certain maps are chosen, I just wish there was a better more public selection method. Make a beta playlist with only new forged maps. The most popular at the end of the month gets put into team slayer

Do we really want people who vote for Sword Base on a regular basis picking what new maps we get? A better option would be to make a beta playlist with only new forged maps. The least popular at the end of the month gets put into team slayer.

FyreWulff

Bungie WAS doing this. Then the Anniversary disc and the playlist cap happened (and then Halo 4 taking resources away). Community Slayer/ Community BTB were to put selected maps through the matchmaking grinder for a short week and see what came out the other end.

The downside of that being gone is maps that were rough but had promise have a much much lower chance of being considered, since the scrutiny is much bigger for a map going into permanent matchmaking than one that will be around for a week.

cocamola

Banned

You mean Community Slayer playlist? I think that new maps needed to be voted on by the community not just left to 7~ people to say yes or no.

Homeboyd

Do we really want people who vote for Sword Base on a regular basis picking what new maps we get? A better option would be to make a beta playlist with only new forged maps. The least popular at the end of the month gets put into team slayer.
:lol I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to

Overdoziz

Banned
It's a terrible idea anyway. People don't vote for the best map, they vote for the map on which they can get the easiest and most kills.
Did anyone submit your Sanctuary? that was a great map.
It's been submitted by the CCs. It's up to 343 whether they want to replace Asylum with it or not.

I don't see how that does. If his "daughter" is about twenty years old in this, maybe older, that would put Silva's age at about eighty – thereabouts, if he was born when PJ was – when he died on Installation 04. Even with the time anomalies of slipspace, maybe pushing his true, biological age back to sixty or so, that's way too old to be a front-line soldier.

Unless I have my math wrong.

Retro

Most popular map:
A linear sequence of one-way lifts with a teleporter at the top that leads back to the bottom floor.

Everyone races to get to the next floor so they can camp the lift. If somehow that position is lost, they fight to squat at the next one.

500 kill limit, unlimited time, AR and Armor Lock Spawns.

Call it the Infinite BK Express.

Most popular map:
A linear sequence of one-way lifts with a teleporter at the top that leads to the bottom floor. Everyone races to get to the next floor so they can camp the lift. If somehow that position is lost, they fight to squat at the next one.

500 kill limit, unlimited time, AR and Armor Lock Spawns.

Halo reach 2: combat re-evolved infinity

Seriously though, mm votes are a terrible indication of quality.

Retro

Halo reach 2: combat re-evolved infinity

Seriously though, mm votes are a terrible indication of quality.

Based on the popularity of Sword Base, it seems like it would be a shoe-in for Halo Map of Forever. The team holding the lift always camps and the other team always keeps trying.

Like this time will be the time he hits the lift and enters into some kind of ultra-gamer zen trance, slows down time and space, and kills all 4 guys aiming directly at his face before they notice him, all in the time it takes a hummingbird to fart.

After chucking two grenades up there first just to be sure the room is clear.

Every time.

Don't forget countdown!

Honestly i like countdown, if i had to pick 3 reach maps countdown would make the cut easily(as would powerhouse and zealot). The main issue with countdown is it seems like it was built with a more classic halo gameplay in mind when you add AA's and Reach nades to the mix it really breaks the flow. (the odd power weapon placement is not helping)

That's really my problem with alot of reach maps they all seem to get broken the instant you add things like jetpack into the mix.

Honestly i like countdown, if i had to pick 3 reach maps countdown would make the cut easily(as would powerhouse and zealot). The main issue with countdown is it seems like it was built with a more classic halo gameplay in mind when you add AA's and Reach nades to the mix it really breaks the flow. (the odd power weapon placement is not helping)

That's really my problem with alot of reach maps they all seem to get broken the instant you add things like jetpack into the mix.
Problem with countdown, its a shitty version of construct.

Where do people play swordbase? I always seem to play uncaged (not much of an improvement).

Problem with countdown, its a shitty version of construct.

Where do people play swordbase? I always seem to play uncaged (not much of an improvement).

Comes up alot in regular TS for me, uncaged aswell. I tend to do well on sword base because i don't play like an idiot.

Grab sniper on spawn take red lift and keep and eye on on red team spawn and the top bridge.

Easy kills easy win.

Countdown screams for Sword and grenade abuse. That's the problem I have. I'd be interesting to see how players would play if there were no sword on the map in normal Gametypes, not MLG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom