• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My entire playthrough of Crysis 2 on max difficulty was sprinting through the entire level with camo. Took about 4 hours.

edit edit: true, barrow roll is right, no bother offending people with this nonsense.

I must be the only person who thinks that 90% of "Nu-Who" before Moffat took over was dreck. Aside from (mostly Moffat-written) episodes it often veered too often into "I'm a bitchy time lord" and didn't really succeed into breaking free of the 60s-80s camp problem that to a degree was also Star Trek's issue with translating to the modern era.

Moffat is a good writer and a great showrunner, and I think the fifth season was a great intersection of good standalone episodes brought together with an interesting running thread. It's really a fairy tale, not hard sci-fi (as if DW was ever hard)--but it pulls it off perfectly. It's fun, dammit.

I do agree with you guys that the sixth season wasn't that great. I think it had to do with Moffat sort of repeating himself and falling into the same issues as the later-series Tennant episodes--Woe is me, I'm going to complain about my problems. Turning the Silence into an army dedicated to killing the Doctor seemed anticlimactic, and the whole resolution and "Doctor Who?" moment I pretty much think jumped the shark. You can treat time travel flippantly, but if that undermines any logic and suspense you're trying to build you can't use it as your escape hook.

It think id rather it try and fail at hard sci fi/space opera than it succeed at being a fairy tail.

Nu-Who works best when its doing something grand and expansive(impossible planet/satan pit) while planting plot points and clues towards the final's. For me MS era has been a slap dash or great episodes and some horrible "fantasy" related stuff.

I have to say without any doubt in my mind that CE and DT both played a better doctor. Its a completely opinionated topic buts its how i feel.

Really offtopic but lets take alook at moffats episodes and ill rate them on the Good to Gash scale

"The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances" (2005) (Good)
"The Girl in the Fireplace" (2006) (Okay)
"Blink" (2007) (Good but i prefer midnight)
"Time Crash" (Children in Need mini-episode, 2007) (Good)
"Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" (2008) (Good)
"The Eleventh Hour" (2010) (Gash)
"The Beast Below" (2010) (Gash)
"The Time of Angels" / "Flesh and Stone" (2010) (Okay)
"The Pandorica Opens" / "The Big Bang" (2010) (weakest of the finals)
"A Christmas Carol" (2010) (Okay)
"The Impossible Astronaut" / "Day of the Moon" (2011) (Okay)
"A Good Man Goes to War" / "Let's Kill Hitler" (2011) (Okay)
"The Wedding of River Song" (2011) (Okay/Gash)
"The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" (2011) (Gash)

As you can see once he became show runner his episode quality dropped.

I need to play some multiplayer to max out my galaxy readiness, but of course, there's like 3 dlc packs i have to download first. Ugh, won't be finishing it until tonight. I may end up getting the extended cut, not sure.
The required Effective Military Strength rating to achieve the best possible ending is lowered from 4,000 to 3,100 when you install the Extended Cut. No MP required to get the best ending, well unless you made bad decisions. Just do it and save yourself the headache.

Edit: If you find that photo so offensive then just remove the link, it serves no purpose but to garner ire from all of us here. That isn't what people need to be doing right now.

CyReN

RIP XBL Overshield, guess I have normal internet now.

2074990988.png

to

2075144280.png

Fracas

#fuckonami
The required Effective Military Strength rating to achieve the best possible ending is lowered from 4,000 to 3,100 when you install the Extended Cut. No MP required to get the best ending, well unless you made bad decisions. Just do it and save yourself the headache.
Mine's at like 3,000 even :(

Although I have a couple side missions to do first, that'd probably put me over.
I'm still wanting to play multiplayer with Orochinagis first.

edit: haha, first dlc pack is only 50% done. this may take awhile.

I really don't see what people see in it. Sure it's one of the better maps in Reach, but Isolation would be a good map by Reach standards. It's horrible. All you do is walk around in a pack of three or four, chuck grenades around curves, and you can win pretty easily. There's no such thing as a long range DMR battle on it because the sightlines are terrible.

It's devoid of complex strategy simply because of how simple its map design is. A majority of the map goes unused, much like many of the other maps in Reach.

I think it's a good map, not as good as some of Halo 2 and 3's maps but certainly better than half of the maps from previous games.

There are some bad things like the lips of the lifts and the god awful space part but the latter has been largely fixed.

I also like it that there are only few long range siggtlines. On such a small map, it would be no fun. You'd be under fire almost constantly. Teamshooting from top middle to either top gold, both landings or both flag spawns work great and a good team can take advantage of these lines of sight and easily dominate a team that only walks around in groups.

I also don't agree with your final comment. In my experience, the whole map, except for the space area for obvious reasons, is used, especially in higher level gameplay. Landings, top gold, sword, bottom base, top base, everything is used.

Till you run into one of those full parties.

The horrors I have seen. The trials I have endured.

There used to 2 specific ones in Halo3 that I remember well, a 5 star crew, and a French one, some had their GT's starting with BB.

I liked them.

Slayer Unlimited v0.5?

Weirdly not, we actually played the objective. Got +42 in standoff in 6 mins.

Also the netcode held up today, the feedback is rubbish though.

Wow - got a good 11 hours of sleep (terrible week for sleep. Don't ask). Woke up to the news. Sucks. Watch a movie at home with cereal. Doesn't suck. Check out Gaf, WTF?

Anyway, without commenting on certain people or events...

$907.50 raised with just over an hour left!
I am legitimately proud of you right now. *sniffle*

Damn Wu 6'5", Tashi 6'4".

Who's in the over 6 feet club here? 6'1" myself

6'4" - 25 y/o and about an inch of that is from the last 4 years or so. WILL I EVER STOP!?!?!?

guess I have normal internet now.

2075144280.png

Your ping is still atrocious and that's what really matters.

Fuchsdh

It think id rather it try and fail at hard sci fi/space opera than it succeed at being a fairy tail.

What's wrong with fairy tales? They're as valid a form of entertainment, instruction, and insight as science fiction. Practically the only difference is that one wraps its contrivances up in the form of "magic" and the other "technology".

Blissful

Neo Member
Halo Reach would have been a fun game if it had a 1-50 ranking system. Yes, I know they removed it because they couldn't control the cheaters and selling of accounts but I really enjoyed being able to play against and with people on my skill level in various playlists.

I really hope that 343 puts in a good ranking system in Halo 4 with ranked and social playlists like in Halo 2 and 3.

Louis Wu

congrats, biggy - just under a grand on those three posters! Nice work.

Off to see TDKR - we bought tickets a couple of days ago, before any of this happened. :(

Halo Reach would have been a fun game if it had a 1-50 ranking system. Yes, I know they removed it because they couldn't control the cheaters and selling of accounts but I really enjoyed being able to play against and with people on my skill level in various playlists.

I really hope that 343 puts in a good ranking system in Halo 4 with ranked and social playlists like in Halo 2 and 3.

My take on it is there is more good than bad out of a ranking system. Just because a few people cheat doesnt mean a whole system should be removed for everyone else too. Its like saying you cant ever go outside because you could get mugged.

heckfu

Banned
congrats, biggy - just under a grand on those three posters! Nice work.

Off to see TDKR - we bought tickets a couple of days ago, before any of this happened. :(

Let me know your impressions later, I still think it's the best one of the trilogy. You can just tweet me.

What's wrong with fairy tales? They're as valid a form of entertainment, instruction, and insight as science fiction. Practically the only difference is that one wraps its contrivances up in the form of "magic" and the other "technology".

Nothing is "wrong" with fairy tales they have a place. I still prefer SciFi. Thats not the issue i have with the episodes. What im saying is Moffat Era who is full of more childish/fantasy elements and i totally get why but i feel RTD era was treading a good path between those fantasy elements and the sci fi elements.

Things in the RTD era felt much more ... grounded (not the word im looking for but it will do)
The Moffat era seems much more like its aimed at children.

I like Moffats other work i think he did well on jekyll and sherlock but i just dont "feel" his work on who and believe that Gattis RTD and Gaiman all right superior episodes/arcs.

Yes, it is.

The ping on that particular speedtest isn't some general quality of his connection, it's simply the time it takes to send and receive a signal from the server. In this particular case, it took .045 seconds to ping the speedtest server. That's not atrocious in any sense.

It is when the server is <50 miles away. Speedtest servers aren't just some random dude in a basement with a spare machine. These are almost always ISP routing centers or backbone junctions. Considering he's also in a much more well-wired state than me, for example, I see no improvement. More upload, yes, but, assuming no other connection use while he plays, the connection quality for everyone else will be the same if he's not the host, considering latency and packet loss are what really matter if we're judging by his video.

Who knows? Maybe his ISP just has poor service in his area in general.

EDIT: I just tested on the same server as him and only got 50ms. From > 1400mi away.

I forgot to mention, those six BTB games contained a total of 5 quitters, 3 in one game, but they were actually booted.

It was unbelievable how much of beating some of the teams stuck around for, compared to reach.

Check out this madsick upload broheims.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2075229817.png/img][/QUOTE]

Nice, fibre optics right?

[quote="IHaveIce, post: 40088989"]"Oh some one quit.. on our team, but we are winning.. is this the total opposite of Halo Reach? Hey man I win, I'm going to quit" Best comment lol.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, yes.

IHaveIce

Banned
I forgot to mention, those six BTB games contained a total of 5 quitters, 3 in one game, but they were actually booted.

It was unbelievable how much of beating some of the teams stuck around for, compared to reach.

"Oh some one quit.. on our team, but we are winning.. is this the total opposite of Halo Reach? Hey man I win, I'm going to quit" Best comment lol.

Fuchsdh

Nothing is "wrong" with fairy tales they have a place. I still prefer SciFi. Thats not the issue i have with the episodes. What im saying is Moffat Era who is full of more childish/fantasy elements and i totally get why but i feel RTD era was treading a good path between those fantasy elements and the sci fi elements.

Things in the RTD era felt much more ... grounded (not the word im looking for but it will do)
The Moffat era seems much more like its aimed at children.

I like Moffats other work i think he did well on jekyll and sherlock but i just dont "feel" his work on who and believe that Gattis RTD and Gaiman all right superior episodes/arcs.

Fair enough. Different strokes and all that :p

u4iX

Download isn't as good because I'm downloading TF2 and watching the MLG SC2 whatever season it is Arena. Summer, apparently.

This upload allows me to stream, dunno if you guys have been checking it out, but you should check it out. I invite from the stream chat a lot: http://www.twitch.tv/u4ixxx/videos

Have you installed the Extended Cut?
Doesn't make it much better. Ending is pretty bad either way, loved the majority of the game though.
What went so wrong in your head?
It's nice to want things.

The more I think about it the more I think the idea that Frank said they were working with, where you have ranks, but they are only visible to you. The reason I like this is because theoretically they wouldn't have to do a ranked and social split because every playlist would give you a rank.
Let me know your impressions later, I still think it's the best one of the trilogy. You can just tweet me.
Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom