• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

nillapuddin

Re-listened to "First Strike" on the way up last night

Chapter 15
(Mjolnir Upgrades)

Kelly - improved neural induction circuits, giving her twitch response time a speed boost

Vinh - had a new linear accelerator added to her shield system, effectively doubling its strength

Isaac - had a new image-enhancing computer installed

Will - received a better tracking system on his heads-up display

Fred - new sensors that would boost the sensitivity of his motion tracker

;)

edit: new page canon

Woorloog

Banned

Chapter 15
(Mjolnir Upgrades)

Kelly - improved neural induction circuits, giving her twitch response time a speed boost

Vinh - had a new linear accelerator added to her shield system, effectively doubling its strength

;)

o_O Amazing... What did i say about 343i integrating canon and gameplay?

My point was that his critique is very shallow of how we think it works thus far combined with the many options we have to customize our spartan. Instant respawn, seeing where your killer is who could've been potentially weak and a team with good communication?

That hardly seems fair to anyone here whether you want to argue with me just to be contrary or not...that's ridiculous.

<3 coulda just done without the blatant sarcasm, guy, when he's obviously been run through the mud recently..

That being said, what do you personally think it is?

heckfu

Banned
<3 coulda just done without the blatant sarcasm, guy, when he's obviously been run through the mud recently..

That being said, what do you personally think it is?

If it's blatantly sarcasm then you obviously know it wasn't serious. Game. Blouses.

And I'm honestly not sure what it is but when it was announced I assumed it was a waypoint over the killer's head that lasted the duration of your life or his life, whichever ends sooner.

The obvious downside to a player using this though is exactly what they said, for revenge. I think it would work as its own potential counterweight because not every player uses callouts or even has a mic so in their pursuit of their killer it gives them a bit of tunnel-vision and hinders their situational awareness of other enemies in the quest to get that one kill.

Woorloog

Banned
so in their pursuit of their killer it gives them a bit of tunnel-vision and hinders their situational awareness or other enemies in the quest to get that one kill.
Heh, i've seen people to do this. I taunted some guy by teabagging him repeatedly after killing him, afterwards he merely focused on me, getting killed by others, ignoring grenades etc. stuff just to try to kill me.
He didn't do very well afterwards, i usually ended up killing him again and again...
This was in Halo 3's Rumble Pit.

Kat decided to strike this pose, for no reason we could figure out.

She's Kat... she doesn't need reason to do stupid shit. Like driving down a cliff...

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the game, Fyre.

KatPoses.jpg

Kat decided to strike this pose, for no reason we could figure out. She just got down there, and stayed there. We saddled up for the photo op.

1. My favorite thing to do in Reach is to sit in one area and lure a guy there.
2. Then kill the scrub and proceed to teabag his face.
3. Wait 15 seconds as previously mentioned scrub rushes back to his grave.
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until scrub rage quits.

That perk could only help my causes.

o_O Amazing... What did i say about 343i integrating canon and gameplay?
To those of us that are familiar with halo canon and gameplay, it's not really surprising but to those that aren't are "worried or salty" it would add too much and alter Halo towards a bad direction, which is totally understandable. And hopefully we get a Good and Balanced separate playlists. I for one am precautious yet intrigued as to what 343 has to offer.

If it's blatantly sarcasm then you obviously know it wasn't serious. Game. Blouses.

And I'm honestly not sure what it is but when it was announced I assumed it was a waypoint over the killer's head that lasted the duration of your life or his life, whichever ends sooner.

The obvious downside to a player using this though is exactly what they said, for revenge. I think it would work as its own potential counterweight because not every player uses callouts or even has a mic so in their pursuit of their killer it gives them a bit of tunnel-vision and hinders their situational awareness or other enemies in the quest to get that one kill.

Just because it was blatant, doesn't mean it's cool to do it ;]

I thought everyone collectively agreed that that implementation would be incredibly broken.. Tunnel vision is not a large enough downside when using something that's supposed to be subtle, but is actually pretty unbalanced. Just look at PV, it's an AA that's pretty broken but is hopefully going to be balanced the next time we see it. Thing is though, that's an Armor Ability and not a specialization so it's more acceptable.

Judging off what you said it would seem 343 really is making this game for lesser skilled players.. because a specialization like that for anyone halfway decent? No thank you.

Havok

For the love of god, in Halo 4 please either put guests in their own shitty playlist where being morons won't hurt anyone but themselves or give me a shiny fat red button labeled "No Fucking Guests" to filter them out of my matchmaking pool. They've ruined every single game I've played today, and probably close to 40% of my games in Reach as a whole.

I swear, some of these people had better have childproofed homes or they might accidentally kill themselves with their own stupidity.

Woorloog

Banned
give me a shiny fat red button labeled "No Fucking Guests" to filter them out of my matchmaking pool.

This please. Whenever i play alone, i'd love this.
However, since i do play with guests sometimes, i'd rather not add yet additional playlists just for parties with guests.

This checkbox would offer the best of the both worlds.

kylej

Banned
For the love of god, in Halo 4 please either put guests in their own shitty playlist where being morons won't hurt anyone but themselves or give me a shiny fat red button labeled "No Fucking Guests" to filter them out of my matchmaking pool. They've ruined every single game I've played today, and probably close to 40% of my games in Reach as a whole.

I swear, some of these people had better have childproofed homes or they might accidentally kill themselves with their own stupidity.

Halo 4 puts giant white text in the middle of the screen that rewards you for running out in the open and dying. 343's not going to do anything to alienate anyone. Guests for all.

Halo 4 puts giant white text in the middle of the screen that rewards you for running out in the open and dying. 343's not going to do anything to alienate anyone. Guests for all.
Giant texts are an exaggeration. Toggle it like you and others said Or how I'd prefer it to add the texts to the side where it lists the kills, streaks, etc.

Heh, i've seen people to do this. I taunted some guy by teabagging him repeatedly after killing him, afterwards he merely focused on me, getting killed by others, ignoring grenades etc. stuff just to try to kill me.
He didn't do very well afterwards, i usually ended up killing him again and again...
This was in Halo 3's Rumble Pit.

That was me last night in H3 Team Slayer on High Ground. Every single other person on my team had quit, and 3 of the 4 guys on the other team started attacking each other. The fourth looked for me and eventually found me in the corner where I was sitting with a shotgun. I killed him, he respawned and came back after me, I killed him again, until I ran out of shotgun shells. Then I started BRing him to death. I won the game.

Woorloog

Banned
That was me last night in H3 Team Slayer on High Ground. Every single other person on my team had quit, and 3 of the 4 guys on the other team started attacking each other. The fourth looked for me and eventually found me in the corner where I was sitting with a shotgun. I killed him, he respawned and came back after me, I killed him again, until I ran out of shotgun shells. Then I started BRing him to death. I won the game.

Well, at least he tried to play the game properly... As i said, my game was Free For All. Who the hell focuses on one other player only in Free For All?

Didn't he vary his approaches or anything?

Also remember winning a CTF game with just me and my friend versus 4-5 players...

nillapuddin

measures screenshot

pixel dimensions of screen shot

1280x720

pixel dimensions of "giant" white (Double Kill) text

120x40

0.00521% of screen = giant.

He varied his approaches all right... but he always came in through the same door. It was hilarious sitting there watching his dot on the motion tracker, sometimes approaching the door from the left, sometimes from the right, one time he even dropped down from the roof, but he always came in through the same door whereupon I blew him away.

measures screenshot

pixel dimensions of screen shot

1280x720

pixel dimensions of "giant" white (Double Kill) text

120x40

0.00521% of screen = giant.

Forgot to mention the duration its up and the propensity of humans to want to read text and the distraction that causes in games where fractions of seconds can matter...

I understand its not a big deal but factually it is a bigger deal than the last Halo's. I only ask myself now why a feature thats been constricted to FF and Campaign is just now making its way into MP. Only answer I can think of is CoD.

kylej

Banned
I understand its not a big deal but factually it is a bigger deal than the last Halo's. I only ask myself now why a feature thats been constricted to FF and Campaign is just now making its way into MP. Only answer I can think of is CoD.

That's preposterous!

Forgot to mention the duration its up and the propensity of humans to want to read text and the distraction that causes in games where fractions of seconds can matter...

Is it CoD or is it, to try and match features that people enjoy from other games.

While i get the point that a feature like this was first brought into the mainstream because of CoD, a hell of a lot of people enjoy all this on screen candy/reward stuff and when trying to create a multiplayer that's going to appeal to everyone its beyond common sense to adopt things people like.

From a gameplay standpoint does it add anything to halo? Not really. But is it easier for the current generation of gamers to adapt to something like this? Most certainly.

I understand its not a big deal but factually it is a bigger deal than the last Halo's. I only ask myself now why a feature thats been constricted to FF and Campaign is now making its way into MP. Only answer I can think of is CoD.

Why does COD use it so? Is it good UI design? Is it a good method of feedback? Does it seriously hamper gameplay at all in any identifiable way? It's spaced up quite a bit from the reticule. We already know the reticule is lower than the center. Realistically speaking, when you look around in the second and a half the text is on the screen, will your vision of important areas of interest be impaired?

Why stop at the shallow end of the issue and say COD?

I'll personally wait until we see the PAX build and see what, if anything, has changed and analyse that.

Blissful

Neo Member
There's no point to it other than to stroke some egos.

It honestly felt more of an accomplishment than anything really. It also made the games more of a challenge and created a bigger urge to win.

O, and I see no difference when someone strokes their ego about reaching and inheritor. Showing off their haunted helmet and acting all cool because they have something exclusive. Same shit pretty much

Chapter 15
(Mjolnir Upgrades)

;)

Will was such a boss :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I kind of don't want a visual indicator of actual rank (1-50). I'd rather be in a "league." If I have an ever changing number it's going to bring out the OCD in me.

I'd LOVE for there to be league ranking though.

Blissful

Neo Member
I kind of don't want a visual indicator of actual rank (1-50). I'd rather be in a "league." If I have an ever changing number it's going to bring out the OCD in me.

I'd LOVE for there to be league ranking though.

They tried that with Arena, but we all know how that turned out

Fuchsdh

If they had made your rank persist longer and kept a "top rank" as well as a clear rank history, I don't think most people would have had an issue.

As it was you can only see your current and last season rank, they are over too quickly, and they don't give you any sort of concrete idea where you stand since not everyone plays Arena.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Arena had it's own problems.

Better example, they do it in Starcraft, and we know how that turned out.

Are you just here to be consistently negative?

If they had made your rank persist longer and kept a "top rank" as well as a clear rank history, I don't think most people would have had an issue.

As it was you can only see your current and last season rank, they are over too quickly, and they don't give you any sort of concrete idea where you stand since not everyone plays Arena.

This.

Slaker117

Arena was a good concept that was brought down by a handful of issues in execution, namely visibility. If done properly it could be great for Halo.

Woorloog

Banned
Kelly is a thousand times better. And the best part is, she's still around.

I REALLY hope we see Blue Team at some point in the games.

Nah, Traviss will kill them just to drive Halsey crazy or something.

Maybe Halo 5?
Or Spartan Ops "Flashback" missions with them?
Or a spin-off Halo game?

Blissful

Neo Member
Arena had it's own problems.

Better example, they do it in Starcraft, and we know how that turned out.

Are you just here to be consistently negative?

This.

How am I always negative? I just want to hear answers from 343 or some solid reason as to why competitive ranks no longer work for Halo. If you feel I am being negative all the time then you are just too easily butthurt. Grow a pair, my friend

Havok

Using Arena as a reason to dismiss division-based rankings is silly. Arena was placed at the bottom of a giant stack of playlists, changed ranking methods halfway through from performance-based to W/L-based (but kept the Arena Rating numbers for whatever reason), received almost zero support or promotion, and was never explained to the public properly outside of that one BWU.

The way it places people is fine, though it takes a bit too long to get the player the feedback that they want. I certainly prefer that method, where it places you at the right skill level once it has enough data, to the crummy grind up to 20/40 in Halo 2/3 where you just play awful people until you hit somewhat challenging opponents. The actual data that the division system gives you once you're ranked is far more meaningful than a number whose relativity isn't exposed. 10% Onyx is great data, I know someone who is in that division is legitimately great at the game. I hit 49 in H3 TS playing with a team of almost all Norwegian host, and I'm in the US. I am pretty good at Halo. I have no illusions that I am anywhere close to the best of the best in Halo, especially not when I'm 4000 miles from the host, which is what a 50 would/should ostensibly represent.

Kelly is a thousand times better. And the best part is, she's still around.

I REALLY hope we see Blue Team at some point in the games.

Ghosts of Onyx:
Will's Death > Anything Kelly has ever done

And yeah, I would love to have them show up at some point.

Pure Halo 4 speculation, but:
with some of the Spartan III's going into the Spartan IV program, I could easily see some of the III's be named in Halo 4. Maybe not blatantly, but throughout the campaign running into a Spartan IV named Tom or Lucy or any of the other survivors could show up. Maybe even Jun will come back in some type of background radio transmission.

I could see 343 doing something like that, but I won't hold my breath.

When it may very well happen?
I don't like Nylund's writing (though i'd take him over Traviss anyday) but i do like the Blue Team and i really don't want to lose them. But i'm also a realist, and considering Traviss trackrecord...

What about her track record? I'm a pretty decent Traviss fan, judging from my Republic Commando and Gears of War collection, and I am just fine with her writing. I could see her possibly killing some characters off, but to me it seemed like bringing in Blue team into Glasslands was simply a way to complete that story. I can't see her utilizing them much in the rest of the series, simply because now she has her own group of people.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arena was a good concept that was brought down by a handful of issues in execution, namely visibility. If done properly it could be great for Halo.

It should have been more persistent (given that you kept playing). The other issue is people would play their "required" matches then just quit playing Arena, that's not good for the population, and another big problem with it.

Top Bottom