• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

raindoc

ALRIGHT! I found a game!

"You Lose"

Join the battle!

EDIT: something more useful for the top of the page:

From Bulletin (06/13/12)
How does the Join In Progress feature work in Halo 4 multiplayer? If we join in during the game, will everyone's screen go black? Or will the game stop in any way to compensate the change? Are there certain restrictions as to how the new feature works? At what point in the game do we enter in? Beginning? Middle? Or the end? –CypressSmurf

You will enter Join In Progress based on playlist parameters, which will vary from DO NOT JOIN IN PROGRESS to JOIN AT ANY TIME.

If you nade them they will die. Everyone just kept shooting at him. There are obvious methods to get around the shield.
scattershot bounces off walls, right?

Aggrotek

The guy was using it to get out of situations where he clearly lost. Getting denied a kill just because someone chose the right armor ability is so lame.

It's better than Armor Lock I suppose, but still :/

If you nade them they will die. Everyone just kept shooting at him. There are obvious methods to get around the shield.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The guy was using it to get out of situations where he clearly lost. Getting denied a kill just because someone chose the right armor ability is so lame.

It's better than Armor Lock I suppose, but still :/

Last we heard grenades and melee still go through it. If he puts the shield up nade him or sprint and melee. (unless this has changed)

Tawpgun

Its better than armor lock but it operates on the same principle of saving yourself. I can't see myself using it to protect other people either.

I, for one, am looking forward to getting a team of 8, fully loading a warthog up, and having five people stand on top and form a phalanx with Hardlight Shields.

Just with the SMG. Its in universe nickname is popcorn... The DMR doesn't sound very much like popcorn popping, i think.

idk why but I think it has more to do with the actual shooting of the DMR that reminds me of popcorn also mixed with the sound.. The bloom of the reticle and the the pop pop pop lol

84932eb0bd3d4f933b79b062bcc80577.png

This is what Halo maps should look like. Clean, simple, and functional.
Or would you rather have the mess that is Adrift?

Couldn't agree more. Just look at something simple like the Beta Swordbase and full release. Clean and pristine seem to be the fan favorites for styles in Halo games.

Are you talking about Haven?

That's actually the map I'm most interested in, lol. If you're talking about Adrift, yeah it doesn't look good at all. Tight, dark corridors do not make a fun map.

Didn't they lighten the map already? I'm not too sure, but I thought I heard something about this..

Looking at that new footage THC just tweeted...

Hardlight Shield is going to be sooooo annoying.

Here's another Fan Expo video tweeted by ‏@xJumPeR_JumPzZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bz-tVidxPM

I gotta say, definitely agree with monster on this one.. The more I see HLS in action, the more I'm seeing how annoying it could be. It's your quick get out of a sticky situation card, but the reason it's not bothering me too much is because you can still kill the person, so there's some strategy involved. I can already see the mind games when using HLS and fighting against HLS.

I, for one, am looking forward to getting a team of 8, fully loading a warthog up, and having five people stand on top and form a phalanx with Hardlight Shields.

Count me in Chief. Count me in.

Overdoziz

Banned
The hardlight shield is just another back pocket safety net for players who make a bad decision just like the bubbleshield, regenerator, and armor lock were before. It doesn't add anything to the game and only slows it down and annoys people. Yes, it will probably be less problematic than the things that I just listed but I think it will be problematic nonetheless.

Kujo

I hope the join-in-progress avoids the player getting in at the end of the match. I hated that in Call of Duty.
One thing about CoD, or at least MW3, that some people don't know is that if you don't pick your class, you can look at how the game is going and decide whether or not you want to stay in it. If you choose to leave there's no penalty and no loss on your stats. If there's less than a minute left you can just spectate until the game ends and stay in that lobby for a full game next round.

On the other hand every BTB game I played on Reach the other day had at least one member of my team quit, and often 3 or so. 4v8 on a map with vehicles is terrible and full of spawn camping. I welcome join in progress.

cocamola

Banned
I can't wait to get my hands on Halo 4 at Eurogamer. I'll probably VLog the entire thing on my Youtube channel.

Also I wonder if i'd be lucky enough to get Frankie to sign this;
img02631a.jpg

The hardlight shield is just another back pocket safety net for players who make a bad decision just like the bubbleshield, regenerator, and armor lock were before. It doesn't add anything to the game and only slows it down and annoys people. Yes, it will probably be less problematic than the things that I just listed but I think it will be problematic nonetheless.

but what about the casuals??? SHIELDZ R KEWL!!

I really don't think HLS is going to be quite as bad as people are making it out to be. It makes you slow as fuck, does not protect your sides or rear from anything, and gives out after taking maybe two seconds of sustained fire. I really just think it's something noobs will take that will prevent them from taking a more useful one.

I honestly think the rock, paper, scissors analogy is extremely flawed when applied to Halo. The mechanics and gameplay are not nearly as absolute for outcomes as predictable as those.

Blueblur1

I'm really looking forward to Join In Progress. I hope it alleviates the quitting issue. I just hope there are ranked playlists and it's disabled in said playlists. I imagine that it'll definitely be enabled in team slayer, objective and BTB playlists.

I disagree, I have played CoD both as a party but more often as a smaller group, and I can honestly say that join in progress affects me more when im playing in a smaller group.

When im in a party, there's a good chance the game is going to fill up around us anyway, so if half the other team quits, the game will keep throwing disorganised randoms together to fill in the slots, making it extremely easy for us. Theres also a good chance that we wont be thrown into a half finished match, because quite frankly there's not enough space on one team to do that.

When playing alone or with a small group though, you are the smaller piece that the game uses to fit around the larger parties, you get shafted and put into half finished matches where people went 0-15, quit and left you to have an uphill battle.

Wait... is there no way in COD to make sure you always start a game fresh? Can you not turn off drop in for yourself? I sincerely hope Halo 4 doesn't follow that model if that's the case.

Slaker117

I really don't think HLS is going to be quite as bad as people are making it out to be. It makes you slow as fuck, does not protect your sides or rear from anything, and gives out after taking maybe two seconds of sustained fire. I really just think it's something noobs will take that will prevent them from taking a more useful one.

This is the impression I get as well, but after armor lock, I understand why people are wary of it. Hopefully it isn't nearly as game breaking.

Same kinda bullet points can be made as to why Armor Lock is supposedly balanced. Either way, I think the long recharge time and the short duration are definitely needed so hopefully it stays like that.

Also, I wouldn't put HLS into the newb category because I can definitely see good people using it too like we saw in that video. Same goes for any of the AA's we've seen actually.. I just hope the Regenerator and Auto Sentry aren't broken now..

GhaleonEB

Great to see someone using the Hardlight Shield properly. :)
It's one of the reasons I'm so worried about MP.

This is why. Toss in the jetpack, the unlimited sprint perk, and more into the mix.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is the DLC pass with the Limited Edition its own code, or is there a single code that has the DLC pass, the armor, etc?

Because if the 3 map pack sets are included in just one code, I'm going to hold off on redeeming them, just in case Halo 4 multiplayer isn't for me.

this was the topic of pages 106 to roughly page 116
And still no clarification.
It's like Microsoft doesn't want me to buy this game.

Is the DLC pass with the Limited Edition its own code, or is there a single code that has the DLC pass, the armor, etc?

Because if the 3 map pack sets are included in just one code, I'm going to hold off on redeeming them, just in case Halo 4 multiplayer isn't for me.

Blueblur1

I expect to see players ask that certain perks/mods/whatever be prohibited in matchmaking. And, based on what they've demonstrated with Reach, I expect 343 to take forever to comply.

Woorloog

Banned
I can already see the mind games when using HLS and fighting against HLS.

Both activate the HLS and just stare each other, like WoW's paladins with bubbles or either person throwing a bubble shield in Halo 3/Reach.

Yeah. Still waiting for this.
Though i'll probably downgrade my LE to regular regardless, save money just in case i don't like Halo 4.

I'm considerably more worried about the perks than about the armor abilities... I'd imagine 343i would learn from the problems with Reach AAs (no one say anything about removing AAs, gotta stay realistic) so...
Hopefully we'll get details for perks etc from PAX.

GhaleonEB

Halo 4 Matchmaking: Everyone Is An Alpha Zombie

Get dat sprint

get dat sword

It was on my mind because of the sword and sprint combo. For the assist challenge I was playing Multi Team yesterday, and in every game, someone was sprinting around with a sword.

One of those times, it was me. Sword Spree!

Also: power weapons drop in. Guess who gets to them first? Dude who can sprint all the way there.

Both activate the HLS and just stare each other, like WoW's paladins with bubbles or either person throwing a bubble shield in Halo 3/Reach.

lmfao I meant as in you're shooting a dude who uses HLS or on the flip side if you're the one being shot at then use HLS. That would be funny though if both people pulled out a HLS and just stared at each other lol

heckfu

Banned
It was on my mind because of the sword and sprint combo. For the assist challenge I was playing Multi Team yesterday, and in every game, someone was sprinting around with a sword.

One of those times, it was me. Sword Spree!

Also: power weapons drop in. Guess who gets to them first? Dude who can sprint all the way there.

Or the guy who has the specialization to see where they are dropping early!

Woorloog

Banned
lmfao I meant as in you're shooting a dude who uses HLS and also if you're the one being shot at then use HLS. That would be funny though if both people pulled out a HLS and just stared at each other though lol

I know what you meant. But considering how an average Halo player works, ie uses AA before there's need for it (very common in Reach, if Armor Lock or Evade), i reckon my scenario is likely to happen.

Hopefully the HLS won't stop grenades in the final game (it doesn't ATM, right?) and that people don't know it: Bait them to use the shield and use a 'nade to kill them, they can't avoid it due to slow movement and no jumping and can't shoot back at you...

FyreWulff

Or the guy who has the specialization to see where they are dropping early!

OOqXz.gif

see this is what I'm talking about less than one month til gold and still a 6 months old build...
:/

To be fair, convention builds take extra resources to do, and are essentially branches off the main trunk that you have to spend extra time on. Not as significant as a beta, but you still try to avoid doing more than you have to.

neoism

Yeah, we were kind of disappointed when we find out we were playing e3 build but it was still a lot of fun. New build should be shown next week apparently.

see this is what I'm talking about less than one month til gold and still a 6 months old build...
:/

Top Bottom