• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Vire

it may be against popular opinion but there a lot of of really nice helmets there (a few laughably bad ones too...). i really dont know which one will be my perm as there must be at least 5 or 6 that are front runners - and that number will likely only increase when you get to actually see them in game and at various different angles.

I like the helmets quite a bit more than the selection in Reach. Sure there's some silly ones, but for the most part I approve.

I might go with Locus.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Half of those helmets are so terrible. Even Mark VI looks bad. Should've gotten a second art pass.

at least there are a ton of choices. i'd say 1/3 suck ass, 1/3 are decnt, and 1/3 are good or even great. better then reach anyways where i only liked a couple out of what, 9 total?

nillapuddin

I'm suddenly thankful my monkey brain made me preorder in May. BestBuy.com still has it available for preorder.

has BestBuy always offered the Deadeye helmet also?

Its a longer drive, but getting Deadeye and that Venator skin doesnt seem bad

edit: nvm, sold out for 100 miles

at least there are a ton of choices. i'd say 1/3 suck ass, 1/3 are decnt, and 1/3 are good or even great. better then reach anyways where i only liked a couple out of what, 9 total?

21 in Reach, I probably really like 5

38 in 4, I really like about 10

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Half of those helmets are so terrible. Even Mark VI looks bad. Should've gotten a second art pass.

EDIT: ok, there was a lot more then 9 helmets in reach. but i still disliked most of them.

EDIT 2: oops. meant to be an edit.

Vire

Gungnir in H4 also looks pretty boss:

Screen-Shot-2012-06-29-at-10.31.46-PM.png

Enfinit

has BestBuy always offered the Deadeye helmet also?

Its a longer drive, but getting Deadeye and that Venator skin doesnt seem bad

edit: nvm, sold out for 100 miles

Fuck, really? I was really debating switching my pre-order from GameStop to the Best Buy on Appalachee Parkway. Thanks for letting me not waste my time!

Duji

Didn't Bungie reveal the Arena like 5 months before Reach came out?

Ranking system news for H4 couldn't come sooner. Let's hope there actually is one in the first place. *crosses fingers*

heckfu

Banned

Ranking system news for H4 couldn't come sooner. Let's hope there actually is one in the first place. *crosses fingers*
Arena was the ranking system for Reach? That's funny, I always assumed it was a playlist.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Once again, of course none of this has been clarified, but I'm pretty sure all the pre-order skins only work on the armor set they're shown with. And that blows major ass.

DeadNames

Banned

Frankie DID say there was going to be skill based matchmaking...

inb4help1

Duji

Frankie DID say there was going to be skill based matchmaking...

inb4help1

Is that saying much in the first place? Every playlist uses TrueSkill to match people up either way, right? The question is whether or not we get some sort of visual representation of our skill.

FyreWulff

Someone needs to unplug Waypoint for 30 seconds and plug it back in, been trying to post on the Cartographer forum for the past few hours and it's straight up noping

At least we get actual application errors now?

DeadNames

Banned
Is that saying much in the first place? Every playlist uses TrueSkill to match people up either way, right? The question is whether or not we get some sort of visual representation of our skill.

I think he said that we were getting some visual representation... Don't quote me on it though.

Omni

got an email within minutes last night

Never mind, just got the email a few minutes ago. :)

It's like one big cycle.

Information is released
People get all hyped
People start to get bitter and pick apart new information
People complain about people complaining and move on to complain about the lack of a ranking system
Rinse and repeat.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Once again, of course none of this has been clarified, but I'm pretty sure all the pre-order skins only work on the armor set they're shown with. And that blows major ass.

Yep, check the Gamestop vote thing. Bio on the forest skin is that it only works with the Recruit armor varient.

I'm thinking the 'skins' will be attached to chest plates, seeing as though you can still use a different helmet yet still have the skin affect it.

TCKaos

And in other news, Gamemania has five of the skins, the Locus and Deadeye helmets, most of the emblems and the Arctic BR.

Can someone please explain what's going on? I know that most of these will be available further down the road, and I understand that 343 wants to give retailers incentives to market so that they can get more people to come to their stores because in the end that money ends up going to Microsoft...

Like, it's not really the complete and utter inability to collect all of this stuff at launch that bugs me so much as it is how completely without rhyme or reason the distribution seems. I lack absolutely any experience in marketing, so maybe I'm just missing something, but it just seems so weird.

Why? Why knowing what we all know would you do this?
The only thing we know is that Microsoft might make the preorder content items available to the masses somewhere down the line. I think it's safe to assume this does not include the SKU content, and their track record is that these bonuses have remained exclusive as in the case of ODST's Sgt. Johnson, and Reach's orange flames, Officer Elite armor, Recon Helmet, and GameStop chest piece.

And in other news, Gamemania has five of the skins, the Locus and Deadeye helmets, most of the emblems and the Arctic BR.

Can someone please explain what's going on? I know that most of these will be available further down the road, and I understand that 343 wants to give retailers incentives to market so that they can get more people to come to their stores because in the end that money ends up going to Microsoft...

Like, it's not really the complete and utter inability to collect all of this stuff at launch that bugs me so much as it is how completely without rhyme or reason the distribution seems. I lack absolutely any experience in marketing, so maybe I'm just missing something, but it just seems so weird.
Wow, those are all the preorder content items. From one retailer.

Vire

All it really does it punish the most hardcore fans who want to collect everything.

I hate Pre-Order bonuses with every fiber in my body.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just pretend there is no ranking system so if they do announce it, it will be a great surprise. If they don't, you'll have already been expecting for it to not be in the game.

m23

At this point I'm not expecting any ranking system. I think they would have revealed it by now if there really was one, no reason whatsoever to keep it a secret for so long.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's doing it the kylej way.

RIP

Tashi, we better record something. Don't make me bring out all this audio equipment for nothing!

Or else.

What? We're recording a segment every night. It will be the best sounding podcast so I wanna make sure we do a lot of recording lol

What do you do if theres no ranking system...I dont even understand the concept...

You just bitch about it on GAF for the next few years. And bitch about True Skill.

nillapuddin

what the fucking fuck

Im moving to the Netherlands.

1 store, all of the pre-order bonuses.

fuck american retail right now

What? We're recording a segment every night. It will be the best sounding podcast so I wanna make sure we do a lot of recording lol
Oh we are? Cool! Super excited. If you want better audio for Thursday night, you'll should wait until I get there (probably around 11:00pm).

Enfinit

dude

walmart

...is my last fucking hope
im actually kinda worried
GameStop on Ocala's out? Like I said, that's where I'll be on November 5th.

Someone needs to unplug Waypoint for 30 seconds and plug it back in, been trying to post on the Cartographer forum for the past few hours and it's straight up noping

At least we get actual application errors now?

Waypoint's been pretty hit-or-miss lately. Going directly to the forums from forums.halo.xbox.com instead of halo.xbox.com > Forums eases the problem slightly, however I've been getting an application error whenever I've tried logging in, although I can get through after a few tries. Jess said they're working on a fix, but I'm expecting Waypoint to keep acting this way until they roll out the site overhaul in November.

Tawpgun

Just pretend there is no ranking system so if they do announce it, it will be a great surprise. If they don't, you'll have already been expecting for it to not be in the game.
Tashi I need to know how many accounts to prepare to get to 50 so I can sell them.

Top Bottom