• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Nice.

On that note, what was everyone's first Halo 3 MP game?

Mine was, basic training, guardian, slayer, +17.
My Little Halo 3 history: I had bought an Xbox during the summer before Halo 3 released. My friends and I had played a ton of Gears during that time (co-op only, never online). One of my friends asked if I was going to get Halo 3, and I distinctly remember saying "what's the point? I don't care about the story and I'll never play the multiplayer".

For some reason I randomly decided to pre-order it from Amazon a few days before launch. Got it on release day and a few days later I was hooked on the multi.

First game was Big Team Social Territories on Last Resort...not exactly the crown jewel of the MP experience. I went -4 but somehow managed to AR+beatdown my way to 13 kills. I have often wondered what the last 5 years would have been like if I hadn't randomly clicked "Add to Shopping Cart". This is the exact opposite of buyer's remorse.

Well done.

Talents

Banned

Ohp there you were
Ohp there you were
Ohp there you were

I+just+felt+my+eye+twitch+while+reading+through+the+_7ba6abb2556bca5c9ec93bd89dd7f076.gif

Louis Wu

My Cryptum pin just came in the mail today, thanks Wu!

Cool! I still have others, if anyone else wanted one.

For myself, I believe in human ingenuity and in the vision that we'll figure out a way to avoid these catastrophes. But if we didn't at least consider the worst-case scenarios, we'd be misguided.
World population increased from about 6 billion to 7 billion (17%) between 2000 and 2011.

Energy consumption, as I mentioned, increased from 400 quads to 490 quads (23%) in the same time period.

The idea that we can exceed the sun's available energy (8 million quads/year) without exceeding every other resource on the planet a few thousand times over is simply absurd. Your suggestion that we can increase our consumption at an exponential rate has hard limits that have nothing whatsoever to do with energy.

Muffdraul

Here we are. Five years ago today. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

bQ0PO.jpg

Happy Birthday Halo 3.

My favorite Halo 3 launch day memory is taking my lunch break to go pick up my pre-ordered Legendary Edition and putting it my trunk and then going back to work. Then, heading home at 6PM and stopping on the way at about five different 7-11s (hey that's 117 backwards) until I finally scored two bottles of Game Fuel.

And I guess finally playing Halo 3 after that was pretty cool too.

For some reason my entire Halo 3 history on my old account isn't showing up. :(

EDIT: Just tried again and I was completely wrong on what my first match was. My first match was actually Lone Wolves on The Pit and apparently I TIED for first.

I went 20 and 12, while the other guy went 20 and 18.

TOD was BR, and I got my first Killing Spree!

I kinda hope Halo 4's release will be as memorable as Halo 3's was. So many good memories...

Halo 4 Play Arts MC, painted:

_DSC0393%20(1280x857)-noscale.jpg

It looks pretty good to be honest. The visor does seem to be the wrong color though.

All these Halo anniversaries are making my penis realize Halo 4 is right around the corner.

Once it gets a bit closer I think I'm gonna conduct an experiment here.

Experiment with your penis, huh?

Awakening: The Art Of Halo 4 is getting a limited edition! The edition is going to be signed by Kenneth Scott. More information:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/92608-the-art-of-halo-4-limited-edition-hardcover/#product-description

Nice! I want this.

Muffdraul

Nice.

Slayer, 9/30/2007, 12:58:48 PM, Snowbound, Basic Training, 4th

My last Halo 3 MP game was on 10/6/07. The last time I played any MP at all was the Reach Beta. Yeah, I'm one of those elusive "I play Halo for the SP campaign" guys you've heard about.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So by pre-ordering the normal Halo 4 edition at Gamemania you get all the pre-order skins, emblems, armor and you get early access to the other 8 specializations? I thought the specialization thing was only for the limited edition?

Ooooooooh, good heads-up on this man, gonna make a call to a friend who owns a store to make sure he's on this as well for their store too.

Woorloog

Banned
Nice.

Heh, i had something similar.
My console Halo MP experience had been limited to a under a month of playing Halo 2 online, and not very often at that.
Wiped the floor with other players and won the match naturally. Hmm. Gotta look for the match... It wasn't on my current GT.

EDIT found it. Guarding, victory for me, KD spread +10 (second player had 19 kills, it didn't go as well i remembered it seems), TOD was AR.

My last Halo 3 MP game was on 10/6/07. The last time I played any MP at all was the Reach Beta. Yeah, I'm one of those elusive "I play Halo for the SP campaign" guys you've heard about.

Then I have a question for you:

Whether you've decided to go dark on the game or not, would you buy Halo 4 if they kept the Campaign a complete mystery and didn't spoil anything about it?

Woorloog

Banned
I can't find my Halo 3 history. On Waypoint it says I played 38 games with a .74 KDR. That sounds about right.

Try Bungie.net and remember to set it to look for Halo 3 GTs.
Of course, it will cut off this year at some point (don't remember when, March?).

FyreWulff

Uhhhh Narrows was ruined when they removed the fixed side spawns.

Yes, because turning around after wiping the other team off one side of the map is so hard to comprehend. I sure as hell fucking enjoyed getting spawnsniped because the map was spawnstarved.

The Narrows overhaul saved that map.

Team Slayer in Multi Team on Narrows

Back in the days of terrible fixed side spawns, radar jammer, and asymmetric powerups

Also, my roommate found a japanese Reach LE for 15$. He's bringing that back too :lol
A Japanese LE??? Those are so rare not even Bungie Japan employees can get those! ...still bitter I guess.

As for Narrows: I hated that map. I forgot that at one time it had asymmetric powerups. What were they thinking?

What were they thinking?

Too many times have I said this throughout Halo's history..

First H3 game.
Basic Training Guardian.
25 Kills. 1st.
TOD: Plasma Grenades (18 kills)

BAWS.

lolwut. Beast.

I kind of hate posting this, because it's pretty awful, even for me, but today reminded me of the montage I made right before Reach came out. It's super embarrassing, but oh the nostalgia.

That Plasma Grenade at ~40 secs lol

OT but blamite, would you recommend MLP? I've heard hilarious things about it ;]

blamite

Nice.

First game - Basic Training on Guardian, -1

I actually remember my second game much better. Multi-team slayer on The Pit, my team came in third but I got my first ever sniper spree. :D
Sure is nice linking to stats on a site that actually works.

Good times. I kind of hate posting this, because it's pretty awful, even for me, but today reminded me of the montage I made right before Reach came out. It's super embarrassing, but oh the nostalgia.

Muffdraul

Then I have a question for you:

Whether you've decided to go dark on the game or not, would you buy Halo 4 if they kept the Campaign a complete mystery and didn't spoil anything about it?

Absolutely, but I would have had much lower expectations. I didn't have high hopes at all until they showed the gameplay footage at the beginning of MS's E3 presser. That made me Believe.

Ramirez

Halo 3 was one of those experiences that I'm still trying to find something to top it. It was like a perfect storm of good gameplay & having an amazing crew to play with every single night for years.

10K games of the retail version, over a 1,000 of the beta, safe to say, I really enjoyed it. RIP Beta Carbine.

Halo 3 spawned posts like this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16169460&postcount=97604

Reach killed this community's spirit!

Bless you Halo 3, and here's to hoping Halo 4 can get us back to that place. :)

Metrowned-1.gif

Top Bottom