• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Hey You

You can buy MS points at 500 point intervals on your 360 in Europe. It's actually quite annoying because most of the stuff you can buy is 800 or 1200 points. Don't really get why it's not 400 points like in the US.

I don't get why in this day and age we can purchase intervals of 100 points digitally.

malfcn

I am now planning on GS and BBY. 3 pre-order bonus from GS is pretty hard to beat. All the perks will probably be a round winner in their voting.

I don't get why in this day and age we can purchase intervals of 100 points digitally.

I think originally their excuse was "bulk" points subsidized the costs, and kept prices down.
"Want that $5 content? You have to buy $20 but then you have access to so much more cheap content!"

Here we are. Five years ago today. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

bQ0PO.jpg

the assertion that we will soon use more energy than the sun is capable of providing seems a bit odd given that we barely capture any of it now.
From last night, but...
The article says using all of the available energy from the sun, which would classify us as a type 1 civilization. Currently, we sit at type zero, obtaining our energy from dead plants. There is a great book by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku called Physics of the Future which explores all the likely advances our civilization will make in the next 100 years. (If you're weary of some of the predictions, check out the references; he's made sure to consult every expert and leading scientist at the forefront of these fields.)

In one chapter, he discuses the energy classification of civilizations, along with our transition from a type 0 to a type 1 being well within the realm of possibility by 2100. Either way, the book is a great read and I highly recommend it.

JHall

Here we are. Five years ago today. Thanks for all the wonderful memories. Like ineffective strafes, horrible linear aggressive maps, terrible netcode, utility weapons that don't do anything, rockets with the blast radius of a wimpy fart, and the list goes on. Great memories indeed :/

http://i.imgur.com/bQ0PO.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Come at me bros :)[/spoiler]

Pop

I just had a dream about Halo 4... it was weird as fuck though. I was only playing the last level, apparently. Let me try and note everything.

• Cortana was there in physical form and was a co-op person buddy thing.
  • If she got within a certain radius to water, she'd turn into a mermaid. Getting her close to land would reverse it.
  • Chief and Cortana had somehow acquired mild telekinesis. It's basically limited to throwing grenades. Chief had to have his telekinesis "on" for Cortana to even use hers.
  • There was an enemy that looked really fucking weird. Kind of like a Locust mixed with the description of a Precursor, but in Gears of War armor. Getting hit in close proximity with a grenade turned its face bigger and red.
  • There was an enemy human faction hunting down Chief and Cortana; they had a small dropship with an orange (rather than the reddish-orange color the Prometheans use), gray, and white color scheme.
  • When they had found Chief and Cortana, they sent a zipline down and had a few helmetless Spartans come down to try and get us.
  • We were trying to get to ?'s house. The name ended in -ei. Zwei?
  • I had joined a friend's Campaign game first and we were heading down a staircase shooting a few of those similar Locust/Precursor enemies. Not a Forerunner staircase; it was like a human apartment complex and it was raining. My co-op buddy had to leave so I restarted the mission though.
  • You could swap grenades with Kinect and Chief mirrored the action in-game. Hold out your front-facing fist to initiate it. Index finger up for frags, index + middle for plasmas, index + middle + thumb for pulses.
  • Chief could swim! And climb onto stuff using ledges a la Crysis.

fix your shit 343

Say whaaa haha

That's one wild imagination you got there.

I just had a dream about Halo 4... it was weird as fuck though. I was only playing the last level, apparently. Let me try and note everything.

• Cortana was there in physical form and was a co-op person buddy thing.
  • If she got within a certain radius to water, she'd turn into a mermaid. Getting her close to land would reverse it.
  • Chief and Cortana had somehow acquired mild telekinesis. It's basically limited to throwing grenades. Chief had to have his telekinesis "on" for Cortana to even use hers.
  • There was an enemy that looked really fucking weird. Kind of like a Locust mixed with the description of a Precursor, but in Gears of War armor. Getting hit in close proximity with a grenade turned its face bigger and red.
  • There was an enemy human faction hunting down Chief and Cortana; they had a small dropship with an orange (rather than the reddish-orange color the Prometheans use), gray, and white color scheme.
  • When they had found Chief and Cortana, they sent a zipline down and had a few helmetless Spartans come down to try and get us.
  • We were trying to get to ?'s house. The name ended in -ei. Zwei?
  • I had joined a friend's Campaign game first and we were heading down a staircase shooting a few of those similar Locust/Precursor enemies. Not a Forerunner staircase; it was like a human apartment complex and it was raining. My co-op buddy had to leave so I restarted the mission though.
  • You could swap grenades with Kinect and Chief mirrored the action in-game. Hold out your front-facing fist to initiate it. Index finger up for frags, index + middle for plasmas, index + middle + thumb for pulses.
  • Chief could swim! And climb onto stuff using ledges a la Crysis.
Do you have some kind of quota you're trying to meet? One weird post per day?

Talents

Banned
Good to know I'm not the only one who's had a dream about H4.

I had a dream about H4 a few weeks ago, I was playing a match and a kid started yelling down the mic and someone on my team responded 'If you don't shut up I will kill you' dream then skipped forward and on the news a kid and his family was killed and the murderer said it was because he kept yelling down the mic.

Yeah...

Karl2177

Come at me bros :)

Compared to the netcode with 2 host changes per game, rockets that are way too effective, strafe that is even worse, utility weapons that have awful accuracy(and primaries for that matter), and maps where you can't go in the open without getting murdered by the DMR...

I think I'll take Halo 3.

I also had a Halo dream a few months ago; I was playing multiplayer but it was virtual reality, basically what Halo 15 would be like. When I woke up I was sad.

If we can get the developing countries to the 1st world, population will more or less stabilize. I think almost every 1st world country has very little to no population growth. Sometimes slightly negative growth.

But if we're all going to be living longer it might pose a problem.

Bolded is definitely a concern.

Yes, but even population will plateau at some point. You already see stagnant or negative population growth in a handful of developed nations (barring rise due to immigration).

Note the exclamation point. That means it is srs bizness.

Edit - and if population really does run rampant we can count on some super virus to wipe out 10% or more worldwide. It has happened before, it will happen again
although this time it might come from biological warfare and/or the research leading to Planet of the Apes

Population will plateau, true, based on resources, space, etc. Which would mean we would have reached the very tipping point that we're trying to avoid.

Developing nations with stagnant population growth are slightly misleading in this discussion, however. Their population rate isn't slowing because of lack of resources/energy/food, but rather because of economic and educational factors, easier access to contraceptives and birth control.

That same longer life expectancy that Tawpgun mentions is a driver towards slowed growth. Many third-world populations rely on having many kids to ensure their family's future. Unless we can increase the energy efficiency of these third-world people who continue to use more energy per person and are the source of much of the population increases, we're likely going to run into the same issue.

For myself, I believe in human ingenuity and in the vision that we'll figure out a way to avoid these catastrophes. But if we didn't at least consider the worst-case scenarios, we'd be misguided.

JHall

Compared to the netcode with 2 host changes per game, rockets that are way too effective, strafe that is even worse, utility weapons that have awful accuracy(and primaries for that matter), and maps where you can't go in the open without getting murdered by the DMR...

I think I'll take Halo 3.

Where in my post did I say I liked Reach better than H3? I haven't enjoyed a Halo game since Halo 2. (post-patch that is)

on some they were, on some they weren't. If I'm remembering right they were always on the disc.
They've always been on the disc.
Great...crazy it is then.

Those aren't Cortana's eyes, Chief's just standing in front of the cover for The Great Gatsby
"Master Chief, would you mind telling me what you're doing in front of the cover of that novel?"

"Sir, finishing this book report"

Edutainment!

I'm very busy, but I'll try to put some time into Halo 3's campaign tonight. I really want to play some Tsavo Highway, but I'm in the mood for The Storm, Sierra 117, and Crow's Nest too. Hm. So many good levels.

From last night, but...
The article says using all of the available energy from the sun, which would classify us as a type 1 civilization. Currently, we sit at type zero, obtaining our energy from dead plants. There is a great book by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku called Physics of the Future which explores all the likely advances our civilization will make in the next 100 years. (If you're weary of some of the predictions, check out the references; he's made sure to consult every expert and leading scientist at the forefront of these fields.)

In one chapter, he discuses the energy classification of civilizations, along with our transition from a type 0 to a type 1 being well within the realm of possibility by 2100. Either way, the book is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Dr. Kaku is awesome! His speeches and proposals are always incredibly interesting and well done.

GhaleonEB

Ah.. Halo 3..

love how we get two great levels in a row in The Ark and The Covenant then... Cortana

Time to play it again

The run from Sierra 117 through The Ark is, for me, the best run of consecutive missions in the series. Not only on a mission by mission basis, but for the internal cadence; mission by mission it builds up to one mother of a climax on The Ark.

Halo 3 is still my favorite Campaign, and what I consider the best MP sandbox. Dat Chopper.

My hopes for Halo 4 is that it can marry the story telling quality of Halo 2 with the mission and encounter design brilliance of Halo 3. Both high bars to clear.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I remember when Halo 3 came out.

I didn't have a 360 yet, and all my friends skipped school for like a week, so I was lonely and didn't have Halo 3. feels bad man

Although I did manage to buy a 360 and Halo 3 by that Christmas. Was glorious.

Halo 3 might be my favorite game ever made. It's up there.

We're actually introducing the first ever 2000 point card so that players can purchase the card when they pick up the game if they want to snag the War Games Map Pass.

Any word on how much you will charge for this for people in the uk?

Edit: halo 3 is certainly up there as one of my all time most played games, it has to sit up there as favourite game. Still more fun than games on the market today provided you get the right balance of players, game type and map

I really find it difficult to play Halo 3 even in single player anymore just because of its weird aim acceleration and super low FOV, despite it having the best control scheme ever.

Fuchsdh

The run from Sierra 117 through The Ark is, for me, the best run of consecutive missions in the series. Not only on a mission by mission basis, but for the internal cadence; mission by mission it builds up to one mother of a climax on The Ark.

Halo 3 is still my favorite Campaign, and what I consider the best MP sandbox. Dat Chopper.

My hopes for Halo 4 is that it can marry the story telling quality of Halo 2 with the mission and encounter design brilliance of Halo 3. Both high bars to clear.

Missing elements for me. Story from Halo 2, mission design from Halo 3, sense of ancient wonder and solitude from Halo CE, and the optional cinematic vignettes from Reach.

I really find it difficult to play Halo 3 even in single player anymore just because of its weird aim acceleration and super low FOV, despite it having the best control scheme ever.

Yeah the FOV and general feel of the game are pretty difficult to get around. Once you adjust to them it's fine, but until you do the game feels horrible.

Don't mind over, in the weird land that he is from he can't play a none laggy game.

YES.

Halo 3 was the first game ever where I went to a midnight release. I remember playing the campaign all night and playing some multiplayer with the wife when she woke up. Seems a lot longer than 5 years to me.

YES.

Halo 3 was the first game ever where I went to a midnight release. I remember playing the campaign all night and playing some multiplayer with the wife when she woke up. Seems a lot longer than 5 years to me.

Nice.

On that note, what was everyone's first Halo 3 MP game?

Mine was, basic training, guardian, slayer, +17.

Why don't you include The Covenant?

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah the FOV and general feel of the game are pretty difficult to get around. Once you adjust to them it's fine, but until you do the game feels horrible.

Don't mind over, in the weird land that he is from he can't play a none laggy game.
I'd rather use the 100% Reach DMR than the Halo 3 BR. If you're shooting at people from a medium to long range it's as much of a guessing game with the Halo 3 BR as it is with the 100% bloom DMR, but at least in Reach shots register a lot more often than in 3.

Going to try and play Halo 3 today to celebrate. Anyone else?

Still on? What you playing?

I remember I got Halo 3 a couple days early because my friend worked at GameStop. Popped that bad boy in and jumped right on Guardian and played Hammers/Swords lol - Shit got cray.

lilty

Still on? What you playing?

I remember I got Halo 3 a couple days early because my friend worked at GameStop. Popped that bad boy in and jumped right on Guardian and played Hammers/Swords lol - Shit got cray.

I'm going to play this evening after class. Might do matchmaking or customs depending on how many friends I have online. Would be up for some campaign too. GT: liltydude

EvB

I remember when Halo 3 came out.

I didn't have a 360 yet, and all my friends skipped school for like a week, so I was lonely and didn't have Halo 3. feels bad man

Although I did manage to buy a 360 and Halo 3 by that Christmas. Was glorious.

Halo 3 might be my favorite game ever made. It's up there.

Halo 3! Good times!

I booked the week off work for it, but during the period of waiting I discovered someone selling Standard Editions on eBay for £60, so I bought one and had it 4 days earlier :D

My legendary showed up on launch day, along with my console and a 2nd legendary I'd forgotten about!

The music as the chief crashes down onto the first level still gives me goosebumps.

IHaveIce

Banned
Happy Birthday Halo 3.

The Release was awesome, a friend of mine and I bought Halo 3 on Release day, but didn't have a 360 for now, we drove to a friend and borrowed his 360.

We played the campaign on Legendary the whole night and afterwards created our first accounts with xbox live.

A week later I bought my 360, but I wasn't aware that you could load Gamertags, so I created another one and had to do this stuff again :(

First game was also Slayer on Guardian, then many games in Team Doubles.

This friend stopped playing Halo after the Reach beta. :(

Top Bottom