• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Did anyone ever get an answer about the Halo Season Pass (Sparty Pass, whatever it's called) being available for purchase with MS Points? Is it going to be 2000 points? Or will they charge $25 via card/retail/cash and then charge more points? Need to know - I can only earn so many free MS Points on Bing a month....

We're actually introducing the first ever 2000 point card so that players can purchase the card when they pick up the game if they want to snag the War Games Map Pass.

Louis Wu

the assertion that we will soon use more energy than the sun is capable of providing seems a bit odd given that we barely capture any of it now.
lol

In 2000, world energy consumption was around 400 quads (400 quadrillion BTUs). In 2011, it was up to about 490 quads.

Assuming 12 hours of sunlight per day, average, and calculating over the surface area of the planet, the sun provides us with 8.2 million quads/year.

Yeah... I think that article might be a little off.

DesertFox

I did stumble upon this though, reminded of Sparth's work.
Shield+construction+small+2.jpg

Wow that looks awesome. Is that fan art or official concept art for Halo 4?

Overdoziz

Banned
Don't know about purchasing digitally, I just know about in-store card.
You can buy MS points at 500 point intervals on your 360 in Europe. It's actually quite annoying because most of the stuff you can buy is 800 or 1200 points. Don't really get why it's not 400 points like in the US.

FyreWulff

That's strange, I thought they'd just let you buy it at the register like the map packs. But these days if you go "Can I buy a Defiant Map Pack code" you just get blinking and a "what" response.

willow ve

We're actually introducing the first ever 2000 point card so that players can purchase the card when they pick up the game if they want to snag the War Games Map Pass.

Great. Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I'll have just enough to scrape by with BF3 DLC (today) and the Halo Pass come November.

Wait, what is the difference between the Season Pass and the Map pass

Same thing I think

All the cool kids are calling it the Sparty Pass now.

It would actually be cool if you could purchase in game content (like the Map Pass) with Spartan Points which you earn in game. Although this would probably be counterproductive as the only people who will grind enough Spartan Points to earn the DLC in game would be the same sub group that cares enough about Halo to buy the map pack anyway.

Awakening: The Art Of Halo 4 is getting a limited edition! The edition is going to be signed by Kenneth Scott. More information:
Awakening: The Art of Halo 4 is a very special collection of concept art, sketches, and artists’ commentary that highlights the imagination and creative vision of 343 Industries.

With a unique behind-the-scenes view of the creation of new worlds, new enemies, and new heroes, Awakening: The Art of Halo 4 reveals every spectacular element of the game.

Special Edition details:

DIMENSIONS: 301 x 228 mm (UK) / 9” x 11.85” (US)

PAPER STOCK AND WEIGHT: 100Ib Orion Satin 334PPI

BINDING: Threadsewn, separate printed ends, flatback, black head & tailbands, cased in
printed paper case over 0.110” (3mm) boards.

DUSTJACKET: 100Ib C1S glossy art plus “scuff free” matt lamination and Spot UV Varnish.
Image is of Requiem tech (unique).

SLIPCASE IMAGE: The Master Chief’s helmet.

SLIPCASE SPECIFICATION: 100Ib C1S glossy art, embossed to front and gloss laminated.

SIGNED PRINT: 290 x 218mm on 3120gsm Hahnemule Fine Art paper, signed by Kenneth Scott
http://forbiddenplanet.com/92608-the-art-of-halo-4-limited-edition-hardcover/#product-description

Don't know about purchasing digitally, I just know about in-store card.
So wait, we HAVE to purchase the map pack/season pass thing digitally? I can't walk into a store and pick it up with the standard game?

edit: Everyone register to vote, and make REAL sure you have the proper identification when the time comes. Can't use military identification because there's no address, can't use social security cards anymore, etc.

Vire

Do you happen to know if it'll be available at Best Buy? I have a gift card there that I'd like to use up.

willow ve

So wait, we HAVE to purchase the map pack/season pass thing digitally? I can't walk into a store and pick it up with the standard game?

I would assume you'll need the purchase the DLC (Map/Season/Sparty Pass) as digital download. DLC that comes on actual discs is becoming more and more rare and generally would only be available for purchase after all the individual map packs have been released.

To clear up any confusion. It looks like the pass will be $25. This is the same as 2000 MS Points. To ease this transaction Microsoft will begin selling a 2000 point card that you can physically purchase at retail when you buy the game. You don't need to purchase that specific Halo 4 branded card at retail for the pass - your points can come from anywhere.

Beckx

I would assume you'll need the purchase the DLC (Map/Season/Sparty Pass) as digital download. DLC that comes on actual discs is becoming more and more rare and generally would only be available for purchase after all the individual map packs have been released.

He wasn't looking to buy a DLC disc at release. :)

Wanted to buy a CARD with the map pass code while at the store. Borderlands 2 has such a thing, but I don't know how common it is.

Everyone register to vote, and make REAL sure you have the proper identification when the time comes.

Luckily, the NFL replacement refs will be manning the polls!

So judging by previous Halo games it looks like you save 5 bucks... Woo...

Do they ever stop selling the pass digitally? Right now I feel like holding off on buying it until finding out how DLC will be integrated into matchmaking. If it's like Reach I doubt I'll buy it.

Tawpgun

So judging by previous Halo games it looks like you save 5 bucks... Woo...

Hopefully there will be more map packs or something.

lol

In 2000, world energy consumption was around 400 quads (400 quadrillion BTUs). In 2011, it was up to about 490 quads.

Assuming 12 hours of sunlight per day, average, and calculating over the surface area of the planet, the sun provides us with 8.2 million quads/year.

Yeah... I think that article might be a little off.

That's the thing about exponential growth. Over short observational periods, or with a few reference points (400-490 over a decade), the increase may not seem as substantial. However, the overall tendency is to grow at an ever faster rate.

Let's also take into account that the article is talking about the future, at a point where this level of consumption will be reached. It doesn't make mention of exactly how soon that might or might not be (other than saying hundreds of years).

So, assuming that the consumption rate increases at an exponential rate for the foreseeable future, that point will eventually be reached. As far as Stinkle's comment you quoted, energy consumption != solar input or solar consumption.

Talents

Banned
You can buy MS points at 500 point intervals on your 360 in Europe. It's actually quite annoying because most of the stuff you can buy is 800 or 1200 points. Don't really get why it's not 400 points like in the US.

I'd prefer it if they just let us enter the amount of points we would like to buy. I don't wanna get 500 MS when I only need 20 points...

heckfu

Banned
I'd prefer it if they just let us enter the amount of points we would like to buy. I don't wanna get 500 MS when I only need 20 points...
I really thought Señor Nelson said something about them changing it to a direct-price market this summer ($1=$1). But looks like that didn't come to fruition.

Here's hoping for the permanent dashboard update.

To clear up any confusion. It looks like the pass will be $25. This is the same as 2000 MS Points. To ease this transaction Microsoft will begin selling a 2000 point card that you can physically purchase at retail when you buy the game. You don't need to purchase that specific Halo 4 branded card at retail for the pass - your points can come from anywhere.
He wasn't looking to buy a DLC disc at release. :)

Wanted to buy a CARD with the map pass code while at the store. Borderlands 2 has such a thing, but I don't know how common it is.
correct.

I'm not concerned about the points, really. My question was whether I can buy the SpartyPass card in a store where I get the regular edition of the game (I'm assuming it would be the same card-with-a-code that's in the LE), or is that something that I can only get digitally. I guess it doesn't really matter that much, just one more thing to add to the utter confusion on my part.

Speaking of which, besides the exclusive helmets that come with the SpartyPass, this Waypoint thread (I know, I know) seems to say there are only skins that are retail exclusive, and not helmets. Hope that's the case and not what was posted in picture form a few pages back.

Some clarification would be really nice; I fucking hate retailer exclusive shit with a fiery passion.

*wakes up late, hurries out of house, drives allll the way to school, run to class, see "class cancelled" note on door*

5kra0w1.gif

Great way to start the day

willow ve

I really thought Señor Nelson said something about them changing it to a direct-price market this summer ($1=$1). But looks like that didn't come to fruition.

Here's hoping for the permanent dashboard update.

It was rumoured for awhile that the points were going to go away (I think it was tied to the rumour of the Xbox 720). I personally hope they keep the points system. As they are a fictional commodity you can occasionally get discounts at retail outlets and you can score free points from things like Xbox Rewards and searching on Bing. I would assume that if all transactions when to simple dollar amounts these discounts (and freebies) would largely, if not completely, disappear.

Yes it can be annoying and somewhat confusing, but it allows me to purchase points at a price point where 1 cent = 1 point (at least) and then spend those points on deals of the week or seasonal discounts. In this method my purchasing power is much improved over a simple cash marketplace. (And due to the aforementioned methods of getting free points I haven't purchased MS Points in over 12 months).

Shadders

That's the thing about exponential growth. Over short observational periods, or with a few reference points (400-490 over a decade), the increase may not seem as substantial. However, the overall tendency is to grow at an ever faster rate.

Let's also take into account that the article is talking about the future, at a point where this level of consumption will be reached. It doesn't make mention of exactly how soon that might or might not be (other than saying hundreds of years).

So, assuming that the consumption rate increases at an exponential rate for the foreseeable future, that point will eventually be reached. As far as Stinkle's comment you quoted, energy consumption != solar input or solar consumption.

Would it continue to increase though? It's increasing now because of the thirst for energy in the developing world, but in the future when the developing world is developed it should start to plateau, and as the efficiency of our devices improves the thirst for energy may even come down?

Fuchsdh

glad for that bulletin... guess the LE is the best bet.... just hope amazon release day delivery doesn't blow....
You and me both... but I'm probably going to be swamped in work that perhaps its better it gets delayed so it's not taunting me.

But Spiderman Recruit shall rise.

I just had a dream about Halo 4... it was weird as fuck though. I was only playing the last level, apparently. Let me try and note everything.

• Cortana was there in physical form and was a co-op person buddy thing.
  • If she got within a certain radius to water, she'd turn into a mermaid. Getting her close to land would reverse it.
  • Chief and Cortana had somehow acquired mild telekinesis. It's basically limited to throwing grenades. Chief had to have his telekinesis "on" for Cortana to even use hers.
  • There was an enemy that looked really fucking weird. Kind of like a Locust mixed with the description of a Precursor, but in Gears of War armor. Getting hit in close proximity with a grenade turned its face bigger and red.
  • There was an enemy human faction hunting down Chief and Cortana; they had a small dropship with an orange (rather than the reddish-orange color the Prometheans use), gray, and white color scheme.
  • When they had found Chief and Cortana, they sent a zipline down and had a few helmetless Spartans come down to try and get us.
  • We were trying to get to ?'s house. The name ended in -ei. Zwei?
  • I had joined a friend's Campaign game first and we were heading down a staircase shooting a few of those similar Locust/Precursor enemies. Not a Forerunner staircase; it was like a human apartment complex and it was raining. My co-op buddy had to leave so I restarted the mission though.
  • You could swap grenades with Kinect and Chief mirrored the action in-game. Hold out your front-facing fist to initiate it. Index finger up for frags, index + middle for plasmas, index + middle + thumb for pulses.
  • Chief could swim! And climb onto stuff using ledges a la Crysis.

fix your shit 343

*wakes up late, hurries out of house, drives allll the way to school, run to class, see "class cancelled" note on door*

5kra0w1.gif

Great way to start the day

ken_feelbro.png

Would it continue to increase though? It's increasing now because of the thirst for energy in the developing world, but in the future when the developing world is developed it should start to plateau, and as the efficiency of our devices improves the thirst for energy may even come down?

All signs point to yes, at this juncture at least. The key driver behind this is population growth. Our devices are honestly not the issue here. Most energy consumption comes from industry, heating/cooling, and food, not our first-world thoughts like our electronic toys and "necessities". As population continues to explode around the world, it will continue to strain those third-world/developing world resources.

Unless we can more effectively constrain the population explosion (something that is starting to happen just now in the first-world), this will most likely be our future.

Tawpgun

All signs point to yes, at this juncture at least. The key driver behind this is population growth. Our devices are honestly not the issue here. Most energy consumption comes from industry, heating/cooling, and food, not our first-world thoughts like our electronic toys and "necessities". As population continues to explode around the world, it will continue to strain those third-world/developing world resources.

Unless we can more effectively constrain the population explosion (something that is starting to happen just now in the first-world), this will most likely be our future.

If we can get the developing countries to the 1st world, population will more or less stabilize. I think almost every 1st world country has very little to no population growth. Sometimes slightly negative growth.

But if we're all going to be living longer it might pose a problem.

willow ve

Yes, but even population will plateau at some point. You already see stagnant or negative population growth in a handful of developed nations (barring rise due to immigration).

Old Data said:
Updated October 07, 2007
The latest data from the Population Reference Bureau shows that there are twenty countries in the world with negative or zero natural population growth. This is unprecedented in history!

Note the exclamation point. That means it is srs bizness.

Wikipedia said:
Globally, the growth rate of the human population has been declining since peaking in 1962 and 1963 at 2.20% per annum. In 2009, the estimated annual growth rate was 1.1%....

The actual annual growth in the number of humans fell from its peak of 88.0 million in 1989, to a low of 73.9 million in 2003, after which it rose again to 75.2 million in 2006. Since then, annual growth has declined. In 2009, the human population increased by 74.6 million, which is projected to fall steadily to about 41 million per annum in 2050, at which time the population will have increased to about 9.2 billion

Edit - and if population really does run rampant we can count on some super virus to wipe out 10% or more worldwide. It has happened before, it will happen again
although this time it might come from biological warfare and/or the research leading to Planet of the Apes

So by pre-ordering the normal Halo 4 edition at Gamemania you get all the pre-order skins, emblems, armor and you get early access to the other 8 specializations? I thought the specialization thing was only for the limited edition?

WHAT

How feasible would it be for a US resident to try this?

Top Bottom