• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is just sad.

Some people play multi only

Ranking is a huge part of competitive multiplayer

Halo 2 was incredibly fun as a competitive multiplayer game- a game that is still THE watermark for competitive console games. No game has touched it since. Halo 2 was in multiple leagues... Halo series now? Struggling to maintain a spot in a league it created.

Reach was trash as a competitive multiplayer game

Talents

Banned
This is just sad.

Not really. Explain how it is. I want to know if there is a specific feature that I would enjoy before I buy the game. Not everyone can play Single player forever, I need something to keep me enjoyed in the game, most MP games I play for a week/2 then get bored of. But the past Halo's were the only games I played, I probably would of stopped playing Halo aswell after a week if there wasn't a ranking system because there is something about getting a higher rank and playing against people that are your skill level that makes me enjoy Halo more than other games.

Not really. Explain how it is. I want to know if there is a specific feature that I would enjoy before I buy the game.

You're waiting to see if there are ranks in the game, before you buy the game, or pre-order the game. That one thing is the defining feature that will make or break the game for you, it seems.

It's sad that you need a ranking system to enjoy the game. It could have the BEST matchmaking ever, where it would match you with people at your skill level 100% of the time, but because there's no visual ranking system, you wouldn't touch it.

Sad.

EDIT: You edited your post and added to it.

So "there is something about getting a higher rank and playing against people that are your skill level that makes me enjoy Halo more than other games. "

So then you're just wondering if there is a skill match system, or an actual visual RANK? Which one?

Halo 2 was incredibly fun as a competitive multiplayer game- a game that is still THE watermark for competitive console games. No game has touched it since. Halo 2 was in multiple leagues... Halo series now? Struggling to maintain a spot in a league it created.
The watermark? lol

Halo 2 is the worst game in the franchise.

Dual wielding, obscene aim-assistance, sissy grenade throws, glitches out the ass...

It was a fun game despite its flaws, but no game with so many flaws can be seriously lauded as best for competition.

Talents

Banned
You're waiting to see if there are ranks in the game, before you buy the game, or pre-order the game. That one thing is the defining feature that will make or break the game for you, it seems.

It's sad that you need a ranking system to enjoy the game. It could have the BEST matchmaking ever, where it would match you with people at your skill level 100% of the time, but because there's no visual ranking system, you wouldn't touch it.

Sad.

EDIT: You edited your post and added to it.

So "there is something about getting a higher rank and playing against people that are your skill level that makes me enjoy Halo more than other games. "

So then you're just wondering if there is a skill match system, or an actual visual RANK?

A skill match system that actually works in most playlists, I probably would play Reach if there was a system that matched me against other players of the same skill, instead of people that run around and get a -15 KD each game.

So you don't care about visual ranks? If they matched you properly, and all of that was hidden, you'd be fine?

In that case, that isn't sad.

Of course I'd like a visual ranking system, but I won't complain if there isn't, all I want is to be matched against people of similar skill.

A skill match system that actually works in most playlists, I probably would play Reach if there was a system that matched me against other players.

So you don't care about visual ranks? If they matched you properly, and all of that was hidden, you'd be fine?

In that case, that isn't sad.

Omni

Tonight on GAF!

We complain about the ranking system!

Why Halo 4 is a bad game!

and more!

But first here is Tony with the weather. Tony.

Worst single player

But by far the best multiplayer

There has been no equal since its release

From ranking, to the friends list implementation, to map quality, to balance. It was almost the perfect multiplayer game.
I'm glad we're dealing with rational thought here and not nostalgia. Because boy, would that be awkward.

DopeyFish

The watermark? lol

Halo 2 is the worst game in the franchise.

Worst single player

From ranking, to the friends list implementation, to map quality, to balance. It was almost the perfect multiplayer game. Even when you factor in glitches... Halo 2 is still a long ways better than 3 or reach ever could be on the global stage

Tonight on GAF!

We complain about the ranking system!

Why Halo 4 is a bad game!

and more!

But first here is Tony with the weather. Tony.

Scattered showers of pessimism over the course of the day, followed by a gale of optimism coming in from the north west.

On the whole, looking to be a drab day, temperatures reaching anywhere between 1-50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Worst single player

From ranking, to the friends list implementation, to map quality, to balance. It was almost the perfect multiplayer game.
There should be psychiatrists that specialize in curing this mental condition. It was far from perfect.

Scattered showers of pessimism over the course of the day, followed by a gale of optimism coming in from the north west.

On the whole, looking to be a drab day, temperatures reaching anywhere between 1-50 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm in California. I'd die if it was this cold.

People's memories of Halo 2 are wacky to me. That game had many, many flaws and failings.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Super jumps, BXR, standby-ing, modders. The perfect multiplayer game.

IHaveIce

Banned
lol, I had stupid questions prepared, but didn't get to aks one :(, but the others took my part, oh god I was sitting there and had to hide my laughter.

Showfloor is crowded

For the record:

"We'll have more to talk about skill-based ranking later. There is an experience system... but we'll talk more about options that are available to people who are obsessed with their skill ranking later on and closer to launch."

Talents

Banned
Worst single player

From ranking, to the friends list implementation, to map quality, to balance. It was almost the perfect multiplayer game. Even when you factor in glitches... Halo 2 is still a long ways better than 3 or reach ever could be on the global stage

I only started playing Halo towards the end of 2, think I got an xbox 360 at Christmas 2006 along with that, I got Halo 2, but didn't start playing MP till about a month or 2 later. I used to get annoyed because I didn't know how people were able to double shot with the BR and I always used to get owned. That was one of the only things I didn't like about H2 was the glitches. Probably because they always owned me.

Also SMG starts, dual-wielding in general, cheap as shit swipe-sniping and other hit detection, ludicrously overpowered sword (that you can switch to in an instant), the most egregious noob combo in the series, poor netcode that made some maps (Waterworks) unplayable for many, and one thousand and one bugs and glitches.

Also SMG starts, dual-wielding in general, cheap as shit swipe-sniping and other hit detection, ludicrously overpowered sword (that you can switch to in an instant), the most egregious noob combo in the series, poor netcode that made some maps (Waterworks) unplayable for many, and one thousand and one bugs and glitches.

I never played it on Live but it was a blast with friends on system link so a lot of those MP issues are lost on me.

I won't buy it unless they confirm a puzzle mini-game that you play from Cortana's perspective by 15:45 UTC Saturday.
What kind of mini-game? I could get behind this.

Already pre-ordered.
Expectations. Even with the atrocious lag (especially for us Euros, and on Waterworks in particular), it felt like a blast of fun.

Ken

I won't buy it unless they confirm a puzzle mini-game that you play from Cortana's perspective by 15:45 UTC Saturday.

If you don't buy it then who is going to keep up the tradition of ordering extra copies for pre-order DLC codes and then returning them after using the codes.

This thread shows me how wrong opinions can be

Anyway, does anyone want to play anything online? I've been sick and bored
Sign on to XBC for some almost perfect multiplayer.

If you don't buy it who is going to keep up the tradition of ordering extra copies for pre-order DLC codes and then returning them.
Oh well, I guess they'd better fuckin' announce that mini-game, then.

DopeyFish

It's ok, you don't understand. You likely never played professionally. That's understandable as you lack insight to the games mechanics which made it good.

Glitches are illegal in leagues. I remember one match I had with a bunch of halo 2 players from gaf where we lost a game because someone dropped the oddball through the floor on warlock (this was on CAL-O... Open league had people who cheat anyways, same with CS until I became CAL-i) .. So we did have to spend time talking with cal officials and showing footage to show what happened.

But when the glitches are subtracted from the game and its played competitively (like in leagues) then it's far and above the best halo multiplayer game. That's what people were hoping from halo 3 and ended up being just an ok game. Then reach came and it's MP is kinda mediocre.

But keep being ignorant.

Do you think CS is cheat free? You think there isn't people who moderate their footstep speed to walk almost as fast as normal speed but don't walk fast enough to make sound? You think people don't texture swap levels and player models? You don't think people use aim bots? All the most popular online games have problems.

It's ok, you don't understand. You likely never played professionally. That's understandable as you lack insight to the games mechanics which made it good.

Glitches are illegal in leagues. I remember one match I had with a bunch of halo 2 players from gaf where we lost a game because someone dropped the oddball through the floor on warlock (this was on CAL-O... Open league had people who cheat anyways, same with CS until I became CAL-i) .. So we did have to spend time talking with cal officials and showing footage to show what happened.

But when the glitches are subtracted from the game and its played competitively (like in leagues) then it's far and above the best halo multiplayer game. That's what people were hoping from halo 3 and ended up being just an ok game. Then reach came and it's MP is kinda mediocre.

But keep being ignorant.
Halo 2 Pro Recruiter: Hey, our team needs a sniper, you any good?
Anyone: I dunno.
Halo 2 Pro Recruiter: Can you hold right and press R?
Anyone: Sure.
Halo 2 Pro Recruiter: Almost perfect!

What you are missing is that even glitches aside, the gameplay mechanics were scrubby. Aim assist, plasma pistol, infinisword, etc. But we can't simply ignore the glitches because they were so prevalent. Especially in ranked playlists.

Glitches are illegal in leagues. I remember one match I had with a bunch of halo 2 players from gaf where we lost a game because someone dropped the oddball through the floor on warlock (this was on CAL-O) .. So we did have to spend time talking with cal officials and showing footage to show what happened.

But keep being ignorant.

But those competitive games were essentially played with honour rules. Rules that could not be enforced to the greater population. The core of the game was fantastic as many would agree but is it not a bit ignorant to say it was great only when you have to mutually agree to not use any of the many, many exisiting glitches? Is the presence of so many glitches not enough to say "maybe this game isn't so good".

On LAN, the game rocked but it wasn't without issues. I never had internet back then and so I simply never knew about many of these glitches. Getting Spectres, Ghosts and Wraiths on to the cliffs of Coagulation was about as weird as my games got.

People can say Arena is a terrible system because of how it was implemented as opposed to how it actually works. I think this same logic should exten to Halo 2. When it does what it was supposed to, it was an amazing game. It just didn't do that on a very large scale.

DopeyFish

Halo 2 Pro Recruiter: Hey, our team needs a sniper, you any good?
Anyone: I dunno.
Halo 2 Pro Recruiter: Can you hold right and press R?
Anyone: Sure.
Halo 2 Pro Recruiter: Almost perfect!

Because swipe sniping totally meant you were good at the game, right?

Not.

But those competitive games were essentially played with honour rules. Rules that could not be enforced to the greater population. The core of the game was fantastic as many would agree but is it not a bit ignorant to say it was great only when you have to mutually agree to not use any of the many, many exisiting glitches? Is the presence of so many glitches not enough to say "maybe this game isn't so good".

On LAN, the game rocked but it wasn't without issues. I never had internet back then and so I simply never knew about many of these glitches. Getting Spectres, Ghosts and Wraiths on to the cliffs of Coagulation was about as weird as my games got.

People can say Arena is a terrible system because of how it was implemented as opposed to how it actually works. I think this same logic should exten to Halo 2. When it does what it was supposed to, it was an amazing game. It just didn't do that on a very large scale.

Those matches weren't honor rules. As I pointed out I had to go to one of the CAL match directors and prove we were gamed. Halo 2 was great 90% of the time. Of the 5000 matches I played, 4500 were great matches. About 500 matches were tainted by standby or modding or bxr/bxb. The only time I ever really got irritated with any glitch outside of exterior manipulation of the game was burial mounds and turf. Because people can hide on those maps with no LoS. Irritating.

Akai__

Does somebody know, where I can get a key for Halo 2 Vista. Friend gave me the disc, but without a key.

Edit:

I played 2 mp games of it and a campaign mission, it was pretty cool.

@Elzar no till now I only saw Haven, I wanted to look around, the rest of the day will now be spent for Halo

Make sure you say hello to Frankie.

---

Edit 2: OT, but does somebody plan to play the MoH Warfighter Beta. It will launch early October and it would be cool, to have some people to play with.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm in California. I'd die if it was this cold.

If I could play an entire's days worth of games of H2 with super jumps, BXR, modding I'm sure I would have more fun playing that than any good netcode H3 or Reach game with their best gameplay settings. H2 was so good that it kept me coming back despite those problems. H3 and Reach were much better in terms of cheating and I have no interest in playing them because the core gameplay stinks.

Expectations. Even with the atrocious lag (especially for us Euros, and on Waterworks in particular), it felt like a blast of fun.
Well, yeah, I played thousands of games of it and had a blast the overwhelming majority of the time. I'm just saying an honest retrospective can identify hundreds of things Halo 3 and even Reach fixed and improved, even as they introduced their own problem or idiosyncrasies.

Because swipe sniping totally meant you were good at the game, right?

Not.
Were you so good at Halo 2 that you modded out most of its flaws?

It's hard to argue that the experience of Halo 2 wasn't incredible. It had such a large mindshare, in the Xbox world and in gaming in general. It was a wild ride, and a pioneer, and a lot of fun. But calling it almost perfect is just dishonest.

My point was that Halo 2 was immensely fun, but it was far from "the perfect multiplayer game."

Something cannot be perfect, and have so many flaws.

DopeyFish

Were you so good at Halo 2 that you modded out most of its flaws?

It's hard to argue that the experience of Halo 2 wasn't incredible. It had such a large mindshare, in the Xbox world and in gaming in general. It was a wild ride, and a pioneer, and a lot of fun. But calling it almost perfect is just dishonest.

I said almost perfect. Get rid of the glitches and it would be perfect. (I consider backwash a glitch :p)

Omni

Edit 2: OT, but does somebody plan to play the MoH Warfighter Beta. It will launch early October and it would be cool, to have some people to play with.

Not me. To be honest the game looks like some BF3-CoD love child that no one wanted. So generic it's not even funny.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

But keep being ignorant.

Do you think CS is cheat free? You think there isn't people who moderate their footstep speed to walk almost as fast as normal speed but don't walk fast enough to make sound? You think people don't texture swap levels and player models? You don't think people use aim bots? All the most popular online games have problems.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit without a handle, team name, and steam ID.

As an ex-cs1.6 player the general complaints about CAL admins are justified as it was in who you knew and what admins you had connections with that would get games overturned even with clear replay evidence disproving the violation.

Ringers were rampant and the only CAL admin I ever ran into who had the balls to ban ringers was Trembly.

Plus anyone who had any basic concept of how to read the config file could figure out what you did to try to get around the rules.

And what about movement glitches in CS1.6? I'm not aware of any online leagues that banned crouch running/hopping as it was considered an obtainable skill used by almost every top level pro out there. Just like the BXR in Halo2, an unintended glitch became part of the game and those who could, did and to great effect.

There are glitches in almost every competitive FPS that were abused to no end. That doesn't mean it made the game any better for competitive play.

The Crypt-o-ball-o-tron is really just a communication relay augmenter-probe and the Covenant want it so they can play Halo 4 without input lag.

Top Bottom