• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Akai__

Not me. To be honest the game looks like some BF3-CoD love child that no one wanted. So generic it's not even funny.

Don't care if it's a clone/hybrid, it's a Beta and the weapon sounds amazed me, when I heared it first with my Astro's.
eargasm

And I think the gameplay looks good. We'll see.

I said almost perfect. Get rid of the glitches and it would be perfect. (I consider backwash a glitch :p)
Just one of many potential examples, I can deduce from this statement that you believe the implementation of the Plasma Pistol in Halo 2 was perfect. I'm pretty sure most here would disagree with that statement, and it's probable you would as well, so it's not just the glitches that taint the game (although you already kind of admit that in this post).

Not me. To be honest the game looks like some BF3-CoD love child that no one wanted. So generic it's not even funny.

The thing is alot of people wanted that exact thing but in the reverse that MoH did it, They want CoD Gameplay and BF Maps Not CoD Maps and BF Gameplay. MoH is essentially BF3 TDM The game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm gonna have to call bullshit without a handle, team name, and steam ID.

As an ex-cs1.6 player the general complaints about CAL admins are justified as it was in who you knew and what admins you had connections with that would get games overturned even with clear replay evidence disproving the violation.

Ringers were rampant and the only CAL admin I ever ran into who had the balls to ban ringers was Trembly.

Plus anyone who had any basic concept of how to read the config file could figure out what you did to try to get around the rules.

And what about movement glitches in CS1.6? I'm not aware of any online leagues that banned crouch running/hopping as it was considered an obtainable skill used by almost every top level pro out there. Just like the BXR in Halo2, an unintended glitch became part of the game and those who could, did and to great effect.

There are glitches in almost every competitive FPS that were abused to no end. That doesn't mean it made the game any better for competitive play.

The walking speed was a mod to the client so that when you hit the walk button, you'd be walking faster than normal walking speed. It wasn't the pulsing. Trust me- the rampant hacking is what made me leave competitive CS when one of my better clan mates offered me a texture swap mod. I felt so ill when he did it, I dropped out. (I don't like being a cheat or dishonest)

The admin I dealt with in halo was Mack (to start the conversation, anyways - I didn't have the footage), I didn't handle anything for the CS clan though.

Don't remember my team name in CS, tbh. It was stupidly generic. It had killers or assassins in it i dunno. And this was before CS 1.6... It was 1.3/1.4 days iirc so it was still using WON at the time so my steam name is entirely irrelevant. Handle was DopeyFish tho for both CS and Halo 2.

And I typoed big time

I meant cal-im, not cal-i OOOOOOPS... I wasn't cpl grade

Oh and BXR/BXb and RRX were all banned in cal

Well, OddOne, you're off the hook. Here's a breakdown of the Sparkast (thanks Goat):
Source
"Bi-Ri"
I fully endorse cute, clever monikers for guns, but this is just dogshit. nonononono

sorry, hecky. i win this time.
For posting, maybe. I get up at 3:45am every morning (excluding weekends).

Sparkcast was great, it was nice to get some exposition on the weapons and abilities. I was especially excited to hear about the buffs to the Hologram; it's gonna be a tough decision to make in choosing what to use and when.

non-wub Promethean weapon video was pretty awesome. Those sounds...

So did someone say Valhalla was confirmed? Behind in the thread, and I did hear Frankie talking about SWAT in the podcast about a map with bases and hills, but was there more to it?

Akai__

So did someone say Valhalla was confirmed? Behind in the thread, and I did hear Frankie talking about SWAT in the podcast about a map with bases and hills, but was there more to it?

It's pretty much confirmed. Overdoziz did a picture comparsion and it fits 100%. Also, we'll hear more about it officially, on October 1st (or earlier with leaked gameplays).

Tawpgun

Offscreen shitty pictures of a map seemingly called Ragnorock that looks exactly like Valhalla.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I meant cal-im, not cal-i OOOOOOPS... I wasn't cpl grade

Oh and BXR/BXb and RRX were all banned in cal

And now I feel bad for jumping all over you :(

My career was a constant struggle between cal-im playoffs, and going 0-16 in cal-m. Played one season for a cal-p team mRevolution but I was a sixth man and only subbed in two games.

Its odd, I still remember playing with those guys and just having their attitude and game play style of constant aggression elevate my skill level close to theirs. The mental change was night and day and thats why I continue to compete, to feel that way again.

Hoping Halo4 can give me that feeling :)

mhi

Frankie said:
We'll have more to talk about skill based ranking later.... We'll talk more about options available for people that are obsessed with their skill ranking later on and closer to launch.

Come on Frankie, why you gotta say it like that.

JHall

Silly H2 kid, HCE > H2

Thank you.

It's funny how a lot of you are so quick to jump on Halo 2 for having flaws, yet when you talk about Halo 3 you make it seem that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

At least Halo 2 was playable on XBL.

Every Halo game has flaws. Even my beloved Halo CE had flaws.

Pretty much because that's how it is.
Slurp :p

Yes, it's good, but I don't think the story will win GOTY. The game should be great though. (Played the 30 minute PAX demo).
Sure, but I don't get the impression that Shake has substantial expectations when it comes to game stories.

Well, yeah, I played thousands of games of it and had a blast the overwhelming majority of the time. I'm just saying an honest retrospective can identify hundreds of things Halo 3 and even Reach fixed and improved, even as they introduced their own problem or idiosyncrasies.
Oh of course, but people are reticent to take the time to truly think that through. Something I wouldn't mind reading on FUD actually, a Halo 2 MP deconstruction by someone willing to sit down and work out all such an article would require.
Of course then I'd just "expect" them to do it for Halo XX.

lilty

I haven't pre-ordered yet... the only reason I'm getting annoyed about them not releasing info on the ranks is because I want to know what the system is first before I pre-order.

You should worry more about whether or not the gameplay is well designed and fun. Not about a number beside your name. Obviously a ranking system will help find you balanced games but if the number is the only thing keeping you playing you need to get your priorities straight.

so the binary rifle is anti vehicle. Lets hope the sniper isn't again.
From my (very short) experience with the Sniper at PAX, it seemed like it still wrecked the Banshee.

Youll have to ask the local HaloGAF historian NCSUDUncan.
All your life has been spent in pursuit of Relic. Inside Requiem are treasures beyond your wildest aspirations. You want to see it opened as well as I. Juices, we are simply passing through history. This, this *is* history

"Bi-Ri"
I fully endorse cute, clever monikers for guns, but this is just dogshit. nonononono
Bifle.

Come on Frankie, why you gotta say it like that.

so chances we get ranking info before/after the french leak of the game?

note: i dont give a shit about ranking, but kinda odd they are so are holding that info so close to their chest, especially if it is a 1-50 type system

My favourite quotes from this week's bulletin?

It’s sooo good when you just barely clip someone’s foot and then watch as they fragment into thousands of angry burning embers.

Haha, yeah, so good when you don't even have to aim.

They didn’t have a chance, it was a certain win for him... until an ordnance drop fell from the sky...

I, too, love when things fall from the sky to decide matches.

Talents

Banned
You should worry more about whether or not the gameplay is well designed and fun. Not about a number beside your name. Obviously a ranking system will help find you balanced games but if the number is the only thing keeping you playing you need to get your priorities straight.

You obviously read the conversation I had with Ajemsuhgao, right?

Oh wait, you obviously didn't otherwise you would know I don't really mind if there isn't numbers, I just want a system that matches me up with people of similar skill.

I think it's actually pretty clever that they've used Forerunner tech to dismiss the problem of rendering so many corpses in game. Frees up a bit of run time memory, and people die in an epic incineration animation. I love it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
so chances we get ranking info before/after the french leak of the game?

note: i dont give a shit about ranking, but kinda odd they are so are holding that info so close to their chest, especially if it is a 1-50 type system

I guess it's maybe to push the hype wagon to the extreme?

Ranking is what hardcore halo players want and crave... That information will move quickly relative to general public

Pop

Interesting that we need to wait a little longer on hearing about the skill based rank system. I suppose they my want to give a big reveal for it, maybe something like a video. Most likely in a bulletin though. I'm just so ecstatic right now just hearing confirmation, if it happens to be something like Arena 2.0. Honestly as long as it has divisions and is similar to Starcraft 2 rank system then I'm all for it. If not then I welcome back 1-50, just add a feature to report players like in blops. That feature seemed to work alright and did ban those who were taking advantage. Just maybe they thought of something new, who knows I'm just excited it's confirmed.

Member status. Oh yea

lilty

You obviously read the conversation I had with Ajemsuhgao, right?

Oh wait, you obviously didn't otherwise you would know I don't really mind if there isn't numbers, I just want a system that matches me up with people of similar skill.

You keep going back on what you truly want so it's hard to judge what your stance is at each particular minute. The fact you're getting so worked up over this is kind of amusing. I was merely suggesting that there's more to the game than ranks and they shouldn't be the deciding factor in your purchase of a game. Relax.

Talents

Banned
You keep going back on what you truly want so it's hard to judge what your stance is at each particular minute. The fact you're getting so worked up over this is kind of amusing. I was merely suggesting that there's more to the game than ranks and they shouldn't be the deciding factor in your purchase of a game. Relax.

There should be more to a game than ranks, I agree. But ranks help people like me stay motivated in playing a game.

willow ve

Yeah, I'm not sold on the ordnance drops at all yet.

But they only happen in Infinity Slayer... right? The "team slayer" or whatever the other slayer gametype is called is going to have normal weapon drops.

I'm confused now. Are all the gametypes going to have random placement of power weapons (on a standard timer, but random location)? And Infinity Slayer just has the addition of "personal" ordnance drops that you earn by killstreaks killing enemies, head shots, etc.

Interesting that we need to wait a little longer on hearing about the skill based rank system. I suppose they my want to give a big reveal for it, maybe something like a video. Most likely in a bulletin though. I'm just so ecstatic right now just hearing confirmation, if it happens to be something like Arena 2.0. Honestly as long as it has divisions and is similar to Starcraft 2 rank system then I'm all for it. If not then I welcome back 1-50, just add a feature to report players like in blops. That feature seemed to work alright and did ban those who were taking advantage. Just maybe they thought of something new, who knows I'm just excited it's confirmed.

Member status. Oh yea

My guess is they haven't figured out the ranking system yet. They have the framework, but are still tweaking how it actually looks and behaves. I would bet there is a day 1, behind the scenes, patch that updates the algorithm, etc., that tracks and/or displays the skill rank. They can't talk about it until "closer to launch" because they're still working the implementation.

congrats on the full membership

lilty

There should be more to a game than ranks, I agree. But ranks help people like me stay motivated in playing a game.

I can agree with that but at the end of the day I'm playing a game because I'm having fun with it. As much as I worked towards that 50 in H3 it wasn't the biggest reason I got on every night after school.

If I could play an entire's days worth of games of H2 with super jumps, BXR, modding I'm sure I would have more fun playing that than any good netcode H3 or Reach game with their best gameplay settings. H2 was so good that it kept me coming back despite those problems. H3 and Reach were much better in terms of cheating and I have no interest in playing them because the core gameplay stinks.
Kuroyume for pres!

I'm confused now. Are all the gametypes going to have random placement of power weapons (on a standard timer, but random location)? And Infinity Slayer just has the addition of "personal" ordnance drops that you earn by killstreaks killing enemies, head shots, etc.
Correct. Asides from the misuse of the word random.

I can agree with that but at the end of the day I'm playing a game because I'm having fun with it. As much as I worked towards that 50 in H3 it wasn't the biggest reason I got on every night after school.

Yeah, I mean, any game can throw in bells and whistles such as achievements, trophies, ranks or progression systems but if those are the things keeping you playing I'd have to wonder if you enjoy the game at all or if it is just the systems you enjoy.

I've been sucked into terribly bad flash games purely for some challenge or something that keeps me playing. Maybe people can relate this to past Halo games but after each session of "the game that just isn't fun but has addictive features added on" I mostly feel guilt with a small sense of 'worth' that only lasts as long as it takes for me to realise that any challenge or trophy doesn't have any substantial worth except the time you wasted with it.

Top Bottom