• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Trasher said:
How could I be possibly mad if I'm in the F&F?! :)

No way you could possibly be mad if that were the case.

I agree though, Stockpile looks like it could be fun wiht a good group of people who aren't just running around all crazy, possibly for HaloGAF customs. :D Even though they are not in the Beta. :'(

Striker said:
Stockpile sounds ok. Assuming it is a 4v4 get-up.

Gen Defense sounds great, but then we see it is 3v3.

What's wrong with 3v3? And besides, it's probably the most "pure" network test in the Beta, as it is essentially a Firefight/Co-op test with a competitive multiplayer disguise and might not even be in the final game because of that fact.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Conceptually, I'm digging the push-pull mechanic. Instead of straight up attack and defense, there's three dynamics at play: gather flags, defend your stockpile, and spoil the other team's by tossing them out of the stockpile. Personally, I can see myself playing spoiler a lot, playing raider as often as possible.

I don't see the KotH comparison much, as you don't need to secure the location, just the object - which you can do by controlling your end of the map, not huddling in a zone. In that aspect it has more to do with regular CTF, just with delayed scoring and the added possibility that your score can be thwarted.

Headhunter is what sounds like a clusterfuck, but it looks like one in the best sense of the term. :lol
Sounds like too many dynamics maybe.

1. Gotta have people who get the flags and bring them to the capture zone
2. Gotta have people to try and steal the other team's flags while they are in that team's capture zone, or while they are on the way to the capture zone
3. Gotta have people to defend their flags and capture zone

And in addition to all of this you have the usual power weapon spawns to control as well right? I just worry that people who go in to this gametype will have NO CLUE as to what's going on. :lol

Yeah it's not so much KOTH, but it kinda is because you need to keep your capture zone secure in order to score your flags just as you would have to keep the hill clear to secure as much time as you can.

I have a feeling EVERYONE will want to be sabeteur. :lol

Im going to be honest, unless im playing Ranked I dont exactly care if I win or lose, im only in it for the fun - being the dude that derails the other teams attempt to score is fun. This isnt going to relate to good teamwork if everyone is like this lol

Kapura

Banned
Trasher said:

2. Gotta have people to try and steal the other team's flags while they are in that team's capture zone, or while they are on the way to the capture zone

And in addition to all of this you have the usual power weapon spawns to control as well right?
I think most of the issue of competing needs is solved by the relatively fast score rate. IIRC, flags score on the minute. That's not a huge amount of times. Naturally, the first thing a team will do is claim the neuts. If you entire team focuses on grabbing and holding the flags for the 45 or so seconds from when you get them to the pile to when they score, I can't imagine you'd do too poorly. That being said, a strategic team might have one person who takes the initiative of harassing the opposing team, not allowing them to come for your team's flags. The three mechanics you listed above make me excited more than concerned. Additionally, it's an iteration of Halo 2's neutral flag. In H2, the team who got it off of the point first usually got the point. The score intervals fix that issue, while still leaving the initial fun of fighting over things to defend, as opposed to fighting over offence in Neutral Bomb.

Hurr durr want to play.

Doodis

I generally avoid objective-based games unless I'm playing with a group of people I know. Otherwise, I get stuck with a bunch of idiots who think we're playing slayer and pay no attention to achieving the objective.

Is this not the general consensus?

GhaleonEB

Trasher said:

And in addition to all of this you have the usual power weapon spawns to control as well right?

Yeah it's not so much KOTH, but it kinda is because you need to keep your capture zone secure in order to score your flags just as you would have to keep the hill clear to secure as much time as you can.
We'll have to see it in action, and even then we might arrive at different conclusions. There's a lot of factors at play - map layout, player counts, how easy/hard it is to secure your stockpile. But I read what you just wrote, and I'm chomping at the bit, as if you're trying to talk me into liking it, not the other way around. :p

Even with a team of four, it's easy to see a breakdown of having one player focus on defense, two flag runners and sending a spoiler over to the other team to prevent scoring.

The way it was described in some of the write ups made it sound less of a clusterfuck and more of a game that unfolded over a quick series two-part rounds. Flags get snagged pretty quickly, and then it's a matter of keeping them in place, for both sides; the top half of the round is about securing, the second half defending. And each half is only 30 seconds long.

We'll see. One week from today, actually. :D

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
bobs99 ... said:
I have a feeling EVERYONE will want to be sabeteur. :lol

Im going to be honest, unless im playing Ranked I dont exactly care if I win or lose, im only in it for the fun - being the dude that derails the other teams attempt to score is fun. This isnt going to relate to good teamwork if everyone is like this lol

:lol You can be my sabeteur bobs.

It is a position that every team will need in Stockpile, a good 2 people to just mess with the other team and kick their flags out. Going to be pretty fun. :D

Nutter

Damn, missed out on the legendary price error.

Will most likely pick up the limited one now. Oh and I bet the reason you wont see Dev. commantary in the case anymore is because Waypoint most likely will have those available on live.

Lunchbox said:
n00b gun confirmed -

reach_focusrifle.gif
That death animation is fucking sweet, though. Death Spiral FTW

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
We'll have to see it in action, and even then we might arrive at different conclusions. There's a lot of factors at play - map layout, player counts, how easy/hard it is to secure your stockpile. But I read what you just wrote, and I'm chomping at the bit, as if you're trying to talk me into liking it, not the other way around. :p

Even with a team of four, it's easy to see a breakdown of having one player focus on defense, two flag runners and sending a spoiler over to the other team to prevent scoring.

The way it was described in some of the write ups made it sound less of a clusterfuck and more of a game that unfolded over a quick series two-part rounds. Flags get snagged pretty quickly, and then it's a matter of keeping them in place, for both sides; the top half of the round is about securing, the second half defending. And each half is only 30 seconds long.

We'll see. One week from today, actually. :D
Don't get me wrong, I want it to be fun and awesome too! It's just the one gametype I have doubts about. Probably the thing that scares me most about it is just going into this gametype by myself and having dudes who have no idea what they are doing and turning the damn thing in to a slayer match. :lol

So do we think they will honor that price error? That would be really awesome, but somehow I doubt we will be that lucky.

Anyways, who else would like to see Heretic Elite armor for multiplayer? Maybe its just me.

Also, for the new page:

Demoncarnotaur said:
So. I finished my Bungie Podcast song. Oh god, I dont know don't ask me. :lol

Anyways, Here it is: BUNGIE Podcast Intro Song
Let me know what people think. I tried. =P

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Stockpile is going to make for some epic multikills. I don't see it being a hyper competitive gametype though. However, that wasn't the intention. I think it could be fun. I'm actually really excited to play headhunter. That seems like a whole lot of fun. I'm glad it's team and FFA.

I love watching this ViDoc mainly to hear how well everyone at Bungie understands what works and what doesn't. Hearing Sage talk about weapon balance and Luke talk about the credit system, you know that they completely understand what makes a game fun.

Personally, I feel that the introduction of the Shadowrun guys to Bungie, has ultimately led to the Bungie guys stepping out of their comfort zone and really expanding the Halo sandbox for the better. The new aiming system, armor abilities, and gametypes just lend more credence to the fact that Bungie has decided to really try something new, and so far it looks like it has taken the game to an unprecedented level.

GIVE ME THAT BETA!

EDIT: If anyone's up for the challenge of bearding by avatar, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's probably going to be a little bit more challenging then most as it is an animated gif.

Question, I know loadouts are unlocked as you progress but can you make your own? what if I want a shotgun class with frags instead of plasma? or a sniper class with sprint instead of overshield? or are we limited to the stock loadouts?

Trasher

Diablohead said:
Question, I know loadouts are unlocked as you progress but can you make your own? what if I want a shotgun class with frags instead of plasma? or a sniper class with sprint instead of overshield? or are we limited to the stock loadouts?
Can't create loadouts. Those are already preset by Bungie.

You can mess with them in Customs though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Diablohead said:

Shotgun Load Out always has frags.

There is no Overshield Armor Ability.

There is no Sniper class, as far as we've seen.

Customizing Load Outs is most likely a Custom Games thing.

Diablohead said:

Stock in matchmaking, customizable in Customs.

ultron87

Loadouts (at least in Matchmaking) are more like picking a class in Team Fortress than making a class in CoD. (Though obviously you can pick up other weapons).

Domino Theory said:
Shotgun Load Out always has frags.

There is no Overshield Armor Ability.

There is no Sniper class, as far as we've seen.

Customizing Load Outs is most likely a Custom Games thing.
heh well I was just going by examples, but they are locked then? hm hope they give us some good ones for ranked playlists.

ultron87 said:
Loadouts (at least in Matchmaking) are more like picking a class in Team Fortress than making a class in CoD. (Though obviously you can pick up other weapons).
Never thought about it like that, makes more sense to me now. I have too much COD multi on the brain.

Messi

Had no interest in this until I saw the multiplayer vidoc.

Now, buckle up... I am hyped. Bungie may have done it again.

Also <3 Luke

Ten-Song

Completely random (and terrible) thought I just had.. but I wonder, will Infection still be a game type? The idea of zombies with abilities like sprint or dodge and survivors with armor abilities sounds highly amusing to me. Not to mention being able to separate parts of a map so that things move from one phase to the next sounds like it could make things interesting.

ultron87 said:

That analogy doesn't even hold up any more considering that you can customize classes (aside from the poor Engineer) in TF2 with widely different variations before going into a game. :lol

nilam01

Banned
I'm kinda concerned by that gamersyde preview, seems the game is still lacking anti-aliasing. Halo 3 IQ got absolutely destroyed because of that. Besides that the animations look amazing, the best i've seen yet especially the death animation. I was concerned they would still have those swinging arms animation but they've totally outdone themselves. The lighting looks a lot better than halo 3 as well.

Another thing that always bothered me with halo3 is that the levels always get cluttered with weapons after a massive shootout, there is no problem with that, it's just that the way the weapons lay on the ground just didn't feel right, they had no shadow and they seem to be lit differently compared to the environment. With halo reach however they've made the weapons blend in with the environment perfectly, they bounce of the ground when they fall and they get thrown around by explosions as seen in this gif.

reach_backasplode.gif

nilam01 said:
I'm kinda concerned by that gamersyde preview, seems the game is still lacking anti-aliasing. Halo 3 IQ got absolutely destroyed because of that.
Agree, but there's not much point in worrying about it until I have the beta playing on a screen in front of me. Any improvement over Halo 3's rampant aliasing would be appreciated, though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Cerrius said:

So now Beta build = final retail product? Bungie's just going to ignore the months of development time they have left? NICE. /sarcasm

Besides, for some reason they always give the guy who DOESN'T like Halo the job of previewing all Halo games. This guy wrote the same disclaimer bullshit at the end of his ODST review as he did for his Reach Beta preview. I seriously don't know why they keep doing that. :lol

Domino Theory said:
So now Beta build = final retail product? Bungie's just going to ignore the months of development time they have left? NICE. /sarcasm

Besides, for some reason they always give the guy who DOESN'T like Halo the job of previewing all Halo games. This guy wrote the same disclaimer bullshit at the end of his ODST review that he did for his Reach Beta preview. I seriously don't know why they keep doing that. :lol
To be fair to gamersyde, they said the same thing about the Halo 3 beta, everyone chipped in with "months of development time!" and the retail game still ended up having more aliasing than 80+% of console games.

nilam01

Banned
Domino Theory said:

Besides, for some reason they always give the guy who DOESN'T like Halo the job of previewing all Halo games. This guy wrote the same disclaimer bullshit at the end of his ODST review that he did for his Reach Beta preview. I seriously don't know why they keep doing that. :lol

I doubt they'll enable anti-aliasing for the final version if they couldn't get it to work on the beta. Seriously don't expect the visuals to change that much eventually. They're going to use the time they have left to iron out bugs and tweak gameplay.

rac

Banned
The amazon link now goes to the full price Legendary Edition.

Edit: It also says I purchased the item at the top.

The legendary edition is back up at Amazon for 149.99, at the top it says that I did place an order for that item, and when I check it, it still says 59.99, so who knows.

Edit: beaten by a minute

Domino Theory said:

beta not being final is true but not many games change much between them, I doubt we are going to suddenly see 4xaa in the final release, maybe some texture adjustments but that stuff is probably already finalised.

Spasm

CrazedArabMan said:
The legendary edition is back up at Amazon for 149.99, at the top it says that I did place an order for that item, and when I check it, it still says 59.99, so who knows.

This is what I get too. Am hopeful.

Edit: \/\/\/ :lol One to tell our children's children.

FrankT

CrazedArabMan said:

If they keep our orders this will be the greatest gaming steal I've ever got.

Popeck

There are jaggies in the game but the IQ has improved and the motion blur makes the game feel smoother. It also helps that many details have improved: animations, visual effects, particle effects and so on. The art style is very similar though. You shouldn't expect a huge visual jump from beta to retail. Here's some comparisons from Halo 3 retail versus Halo 3 beta: http://rework3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=867375. But hey, at least the water was improved upon.

danwarb

Vidoc image quality looks pretty good on my TV. Very much better than Halo 3. The motion blur helps, and there's per-object motion blur now.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo 3 looks good enough me for me. Reach is already better looking, I'm more than satisfied. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.

Kibbles

Thagomizer said:
I like how you completely ignore how Gamersyde said themselves that it was probably an artifact of crappy tvs.

But then again, you are an unrelenting Halo troll, so it's not surprising.

This. Gamersyde ranted about how the TVs weren't set up properly and the 360s were at the wrong resolutions, etc.

Which makes me wonder, who the heck was running that event? :lol

Popeck said:
There are jaggies in the game but the IQ has improved and the motion blur makes the game feel smoother. It also helps that many details have improved: animations, visual effects, particle effects and so on. The art style is very similar though. You shouldn't expect a huge visual jump from beta to retail. Here's some comparisons from Halo 3 retail versus Halo 3 beta: http://rework3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=867375. But hey, at least the water was improved upon.
Interesting how some weapon textures were different or revised, with the beta skin for the spartan laser looking better to me.

nilam01

Banned
Thagomizer said:
I like how you completely ignore how Gamersyde said themselves that it was probably an artifact of crappy tvs.

But then again, you are an unrelenting Halo troll, so it's not surprising.

There is no need for that, it's quite apparant from the vidocs themselves that the game is still heavy on the aliasing. I said the same thing for the alpha footage, I hoped the beta had improved on it..

Diablohead said:
Interesting how some weapon textures were different or revised, with the beta skin for the spartan laser looking better to me.

I was thinking the same thing.

Big improvement in the water, though.

FrankT

Again they should just put it out there what they are shooting for with resolution and AA level. 720p or close to it with at least 2XAA and I'd be a happy camper. Of course single is where it will really shine through. If there is no AA in place for the beta it's not going to be hard to tell.

nilam01

Banned
danwarb said:
Vidoc image quality looks pretty good on my TV. Very much better than Halo 3. The motion blur helps, and there's per-object motion blur now.

I haven't seen any per-object motion blur in the vidoc.

Tashi0106 said:
Halo 3 looks good enough me for me. Reach is already better looking, I'm more than satisfied. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.
QFT. Graphics are nice but all the graphics in the world didn't keep me playing Killzone 2 for more than a few weeks.

FrankT

soldat7 said:
Or the Xbox 360 is just showing it's age. Bungie pushes it unlike any other developer.

I wouldn't say that at all. On the mutliplayer there is no doubt however. There are lots and lots of superb looking games that push more on the resolution side and AA then what we've seen from Bungie so far on the console, but certainly not as much that is going on either.

Well I pre-ordered to pre-order my Legendary Edition a month ago.

Yep.

Not sure about the US, but down here, our retailers had a pre-order to pre-order offer.

So awesome.

Any improvement from the lower res non AA halo 3 is a plus and I shall welcome it with open arms, saying that how does ODST look? same as halo 3? be a few days before the postman drops my copy off.

Top Bottom