• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Sai-kun

Banned
Trasher said:
I dunno. It just seems to be trying too hard to make a new gametype by blending together, like you said, KOTH and CTF. Who knows; maybe it will be good. Won't know until we get our hands on it though. Until then I'm pretty skeptical of it.

I've played something very close to it in TF2. It's. Fucking. Amazing. :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Well I pre-ordered to pre-order my Legendary Edition a month ago.

Yep.

Not sure about the US, but down here, our retailers had a pre-order to pre-order offer.

So awesome.

Yo Dawg, we heard ya like pre-orders, so we put a pre-order in yo pre-order so you can pre-order while ya pre-order.

Or something like that?

soldat7

Wow, this might be the first time I buy a non-special edition version of Halo since Halo CE. Not too excited about Limited or Legendary.

CrazedArabMan said:
Yo Dawg, we heard ya like pre-orders, so we put a pre-order in yo pre-order so you can pre-order while ya pre-order.

Or something like that?

Basically.

They had flyers at EB and JB saying put your name down to PRE ORDER the collector's edition.

So I pre-ordered to pre-order.

Let's call it, the Xzibit order.

nilam01

Banned
Diablohead said:
Any improvement from the lower res non AA halo 3 is a plus and I shall welcome it with open arms, saying that how does ODST look? same as halo 3? be a few days before the postman drops my copy off.

Some parts look better, others look even worse. I love the night scenes on new mombasa with the rookie.

EazyB

Banned
Diablohead said:
Any improvement from the lower res non AA halo 3 is a plus and I shall welcome it with open arms, saying that how does ODST look? same as halo 3? be a few days before the postman drops my copy off.
ODST uses the same exact graphics engine. That said, they apply some film grain (ala-L4D or ME) which IMO improved the visuals quite a bit IMO, mostly hiding aliasing. Reach seems to have a similar film grain.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Basically.

They had flyers at EB and JB saying put your name down to PRE ORDER the collector's edition.

So I pre-ordered to pre-order.

Let's call it, the Xzibit order.

Did you have to put money down? Im guessing your still paying the same price right?

nilam01

Banned
EazyB said:
ODST uses the same exact graphics engine. That said, they apply some film grain (ala-L4D or ME) which IMO improved the visuals quite a bit IMO, mostly hiding aliasing. Reach seems to have a similar film grain.

I thought the jaggies were just as bad, at some times even worse. Visr mode helped smooth out some edges though.

Kibbles said:
Not sure if posted, but Gamersyde put up their preview of the game.

http://gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_preview_halo_reach_beta-9211_en.html

Haven't read it yet, but be warned. Saw this at the end.

He must have insanely high standards... or he cannot appreciate sharp textures, massive action, epic skyboxes etc....

Honestly, how can someone say the graphics are not that great when the quality they have shown is unpresendented on xbox360

ManCannon

Sai-kun said:
I've played something very close to it in TF2. It's. Fucking. Amazing. :lol

I'd agree that Stockpile is a lot more fun with teams who know what they're doing (but really, what objective games aren't?). I've had some good times playing Stockpile but personally I can't get enough Headhunter and Invasion Slayer.

My intermittent Twursday Reach Beta Q&A has been kind of a flop. Guess I shouldn't be surprised by the types of questions being asked. If we only had a consitent, regularly updated outlet to serve as a definitive resource for the game...

Edited for hasty typo

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
nilam01 said:
I thought the jaggies were just as bad, at some times even worse. Visr mode helped smooth out some edges though.

I would agree, although that doesn't degrade the fun.

I played ODST a bunch when I got my new TV and it looked decent, but when I put Halo 3 in it looked a ton better. Kind of odd.

danwarb

nilam01 said:
I haven't seen any per-object motion blur in the vidoc.
It could just be objects moving about in the periphery, the red Spartan here:

reach_byebye.gif

That ViDoc was pretty cool.

Not quite the "oh my god" fest the first one was for me, but we had been so flooded with info for the last few weeks it was hard to put much genuinely new or unexpected stuff in there.

One think I was rapt about though, is that the game seems to run smooth as fucking half melted butter.

Almost looks like it's running in 60 frames. I know it's not, but I'm just saying.

Chinner

Banned
im so glad theyve put proper rag doll animations in reach. that waving flying arm shit looked terrible and i dont know why they kept it for 3.

ManCannon

Deadly Cyclone said:
I would agree, although that doesn't degrade the fun.

I played ODST a bunch when I got my new TV and it looked decent, but when I put Halo 3 in it looked a ton better. Kind of odd.

I remember the night before the big E3 press conference where Halo 3 was to be debuted. We were at Mann's Chinese Theater for rehearsals doing a full show run through with Peter Moore.

We had our debug hooked up to the projector and a very giant, unforgiving movie screen. We ran the real-time demo for the executives.

Peter Moore to Frank: "Frank, come here... What's up with those jaggies on the horizon there? Can you get the guys to tighten up the bumpmaps?"

Frank: "...."

"Tighten up the bump maps" has been a part of the internal lexicon ever since.

This day in Bungie history brought to you by Gamercyde.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
ManCannon said:
My intermittent Twursday Reach Beta Q&A has been kind of a flop. Guess I shouldn't be surprised by the types of questions being asked. If we only had a consitent, regularly updated outlet to serve as a definitive resource for the game...

If only...:D

Kapura

Banned
I'm working on my podcast intro, tentatively titled "The Pod-Pod-Podcast Intro." I promise it makes more sense in context.

Sai-kun

Banned
ManCannon said:
I'd agree that Stockpile is a lot more fun with teams who know what they're doing (but really, what objective games aren't?).

God yes. When I first played the stockpile-ish gametype in TF2 I was so confused. :lol But once you get get hang of it it's super chaotic/fun.

cazosozey

ManCannon said:
I remember the night before the big E3 press conference where Halo 3 was to be debuted. We were at Mann's Chinese Theater for rehearsals doing a full show run through with Peter Moore.

We had our debug hooked up to the projector and a very giant, unforgiving movie screen. We ran the real-time demo for the executives.

Peter Moore to Frank: "Frank, come here... What's up with those jaggies on the horizon there? Can you get the guys to tighten up the bumpmaps?"

Did the bumps get tight?

nvm i dont even know what that means.

ManCannon said:

Someone needs to sneak this into a Vidoc. That's hilarious.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ManCannon said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh Peter. I hope I see him at PAX, I would like to tell him to tighten up the bump maps.

Kuroyume

Banned
dilatedmuscle said:
Honestly, how can someone say the graphics are not that great when the quality they have shown is unpresendented on xbox360

Brink... Crysis 2... TONS of games easily!

Btw, the radar with levels... Is it in multiplayer too?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
dilatedmuscle said:
He must have insanely high standards... or he cannot appreciate sharp textures, massive action, epic skyboxes etc....

Oh come on now. You can't be that blind.

ManCannon said:

Out of interest who was at the London Premier, the one with Pharrell Williams (he was such an aweful 'guest')?

I didnt get to stick around and chat to the Bungie guys, but the game looked fine on the HUGE Imax screen somehow :S

EvaPlusMinus said:
Oh come on now. You can't be that blind.

Reach is technically impressive. The lighting is great, model detail is a huge improvement over 3(which really was pretty good to begin with. Bungie is one of the few companies I know of that doesn't have lazy modelers who waste a shitload of polys on stupid crap. Bioware is a huge offender here, as well as Epic.). Texture resolution is seemingly quite a bit higher than Halo 3, and most 360 titles period. Though obviously I cannot see the textures myself, I have seen Halo 3's, and other 360 titles. There's clearly a difference in quality there. Most of Halo 3's character textures were pretty standard 512x, pretty much on par with the original Xbox.

If anyone actually reads anything I said, I will be surprised. It seems every time I rant about technical crap, nobody pays any attention. :lol

Totally BOLD predictions about Reach visually

Multiplayer will look good, but a bit flat by design to reduce visual noise.

IQ will mostly stay as we see it in the beta, passable, a big step up from H3, but not up to the standards of some other shooters.

Single player will look positively pretty thanks to more aggressive use of lighting, weather and similar things.

Animations will be some of the best in any game this generation.

Bump maps will be tight as shit.

nilam01

Banned
Concerning the jaggies, I guess most people aren't that bothered by them, especially the bungie guys themselves. But they really do hurt IQ in general. Here's what kotaku had to say about halo 3 beta, something that reflects my own personal feelings on the matter.

Initially, I was blown away by the game. I liked the way it looked and felt, I LOVED the new touches, the new weapon tweaks, the new equipment. But that luster started to erode quickly as the night slipped by.

The first to go was my appreciate for the game's look. There is no, absolutely no anti-aliasing in the game currently and when viewed on a large high-definition television that equates to fields of jagggy hills, jaggy palm fronds blowing in the wind, even jaggie weapons and snow. Initially, it didn't bother me that much, but my irritation grew as I played it and it become less and less possible for me to ignore the harsh graphic lines.

The weird thing is that overall the game looks pretty good, it's just those jaggies, especially when played in a split-screen mode, that got to me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Ajemsuhgao said:
Reach is technically impressive. The lighting is great, model detail is a huge improvement over 3(which really was pretty good to begin with. Bungie is one of the few companies I know of that doesn't have lazy modelers who waste a shitload of polys on stupid crap. Bioware is a huge offender here, as well as Epic.). Texture resolution is seemingly quite a bit higher than Halo 3, and most 360 titles period. Though obviously I cannot see the textures myself, I have seen Halo 3's, and other 360 titles. There's clearly a difference in quality there. Most of Halo 3's character textures were pretty standard 512x, pretty much on par with the original Xbox.

If anyone actually reads anything I said, I will be surprised. It seems every time I rant about technical crap, nobody pays any attention. :lol

I'm not saying it's not impressive. I saw the new video earlier today and it looks pretty damn good. But it's not raising any bars either. I'm liking the animation too, which was something I've never been too impressed with on a Bungie game. They are stepping up their game, that's for sure.

I wasn't at all excited for the upcoming beta when I first heard of it, but they have grabbed my attention pretty well with these videos and weekly updates. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Edit: Ugh, they better not fucking ignore the AA issues again. That shit should be standard by now.

Chinner said:
im so glad theyve put proper rag doll animations in reach. that waving flying arm shit looked terrible and i dont know why they kept it for 3.

What you see above your post isnt ragdoll. Its a new waving arms animation but the difference is. This one WORKS and is awesome.

If you watch the vidoc over again there's numerous places that its seen. It not only looks right when falling, but it looks right when getting blasted away by an explosion.

The old one really only looked "OK" for falls. But they applied it to everything. H3 had ragdoll though btw.

nilam01

Banned
danwarb said:
It could just be objects moving about in the periphery, the red Spartan here:

reach_byebye.gif

I didn't really see any object motion blur to be honest, it would be easier to see if the camera stood still.

EvaPlusMinus said:
I'm not saying it's not impressive. I saw the new video earlier today and it looks pretty damn good. But it's not raising any bars either. I'm liking the animation too, which was something I've never been too impressed with on a Bungie game. They are stepping up their game, that's for sure.

I wasn't at all excited for the upcoming beta when I first heard of it, but they have grabbed my attention pretty well with these videos and weekly updates. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Edit: Ugh, they better not fucking ignore the AA issues again. That shit should be standard by now.

I think the added motion blur should make up for lack of AA. As long as it's better than Halo 3, I'm happy. The jump from SD to HD was just a huge slap in the face. Though I barely notice it anymore in multiplayer.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
dilatedmuscle said:
Theres nothing on the 360 that looks better then what we've seen.

Ill agree it looks really good, but Alan Wake looks better even if its Sub-HD.

Cant believe amazon hasnt cancelled the $60 legendarys yet. :D

Ajemsuhgao said:

Looking at them now, I was wrong. Most(multiplayer, at least) are 256x. :\

nilam01

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:
I think the added motion blur should make up for lack of AA. As long as it's better than Halo 3, I'm happy. The jump from SD to HD was just a huge slap in the face. Though I barely notice it anymore in multiplayer.

Halo 3 had motion blur as well, almost exactly the same as in halo reach.

I remember playing halo 3 on a sdtv thinking wow this looks great, then I bought a hdtv and it looked like someone went wild with a pair of scissors, I was really dissapointed.

Top Bottom