• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Kibbles

nilam01 said:
Halo 3 had motion blur as well, almost exactly the same as in halo reach.

I remember playing halo 3 on a sdtv thinking wow this looks great, then I bought a hdtv and it looked like someone went wild with a pair of scissors, I was really dissapointed.
Halo 3's motion blur is nowhere near as good as Halo: Reach's. The only time I even notice motion blur in Halo 3 is when you spin in a circle real fast.

nilam01 said:
Halo 3 had motion blur as well, almost exactly the same as in halo reach.

I remember playing halo 3 on a sdtv thinking wow this looks great, then I bought a hdtv and it looked like someone went wild with a pair of scissors, I was really dissapointed.

There's a clear change in Reach, though.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
-viper- said:
Paying for something that should be free is ridiculous :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393544

I think they'll live without you.\

dilatedmuscle said:
Really? i cant think of one game... Some people are saying Alan Wake but the textures dont come close, some people are saying Crysis 2 but we havent been shown anything thats really all that impressive. The Wall trailer look great but the textures were failry mediocre except for the Nano Suit.. idk but i thought halo 3 still looks really good except for jaggies.

I guess you are that blind.

Thagomizer said:
Reign in the horses son. You're going a little wild.

Really? i cant think of one game... Some people are saying Alan Wake but the textures dont come close, some people are saying Crysis 2 but we havent been shown anything thats really all that impressive. The Wall trailer look great but the textures were failry mediocre except for the Nano Suit.. idk but i thought halo 3 still looks really good except for jaggies.

nilam01

Banned
Kibbles said:
Halo 3's motion blur is nowhere near as good as Halo: Reach's. The only time I even notice motion blur in Halo 3 is when you spin in a circle real fast.

Actually you are right, the motion blur is less apparant. The jaggies however even with the more pronounced motion blur are still apparant, especially during indoor scenes.

Hey urk/mancannon, are guys gonna put up a little more info on the animation process before the beta launches? I really want to see the work that went into:

new waving arms (cant praise it enough)
guy falls on his knees before dying
elites stumble before falling
and the new elite/spartan jump animations

dilatedmuscle said:

Halo 3 is average. Good art style, but models and textures were nothing amazing. They're..pretty much what every game on the 360 should use, at the very least.

Kuroyume

Banned
danwarb said:
It could just be objects moving about in the periphery, the red Spartan here:

reach_byebye.gif

I have to admit that I'm really surprised by how much air you can get with the jetpack in this game. I was expecting that they would only allow it to get just above a player's head. Do you guys think they will allow people to get above many structures or will there be invisible walls every inch?

Kuroyume said:
I have to admit that I'm really surprised by how much air you can get with the jetpack in this game. I was expecting that they would only allow it to get just above a player's head. Do you guys think they will allow people to get above many structures or will there be invicible walls every inch?

Something was said about how they block areas off now. Instead of having walls everywhere, you're given 10 total seconds outside of a map. After that 10 seconds is up, you die instantly.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Halo 3 is average. Good art style, but models and textures were nothing amazing. They're..pretty much what every game on the 360 should use, at the very least.

I agree, unfortunately they dont. Its hard to find a game that even matches Halo 3's textures.

nilam01

Banned
dilatedmuscle said:
I agree, unfortunately they dont. Its hard to find a game that even matches Halo 3's textures.
I agree if there was one area that visual area where halo was unmatched in it would be textures.

cazosozey

Kuroyume said:
I have to admit that I'm really surprised by how much air you can get with the jetpack in this game. I was expecting that they would only allow it to get just above a player's head. Do you guys think they will allow people to get above many structures or will there be invisible walls every inch?

I think so, Bungie has said before that they haven't specifically designed places for jet pack users. As far am I'm concerned, I think high airborne mobility and travel is a equal swap for the obvious bulls eye it paints on the player.

danwarb

nilam01 said:
I didn't really see any object motion blur to be honest, it would be easier to see if the camera stood still.
It's probably just the camera motion blur, since it's same direction as the background.

Now that there's some sense of class/role development for player I'd really like to see more rts elements introduced, I mean you've got pretty much everything you need minus the ability to build buildings.

dilatedmuscle said:

agreed, the only problem is that the mipmapping on the textures really through off the look, unless you're looking at them straight on.

les papillons sexuels said:
Now that there's some sense of class/role development for player I'd really like to see more rts elements introduced, I mean you've got pretty much everything you need minus the ability to build buildings.

What...?

I love that they're adding on to the game, building over the standard FPS! Now how about a total genre change?!

agreed, the only problem is that the mipmapping on the textures really through off the look, unless you're looking at them straight on.

LOD model popping is more of an eyesore than mipmaps.

cazosozey

Im really hoping they utilize this in the campaign, seeing how each noble member fits a specific role. Maybe there are some campaign surprises for e3? Like some squad-lite game play, maybe not as far as RTS..

Wars...

-viper- said:
Paying for something that should be free is ridiculous :(

I agree with you fully, but Live really is a lot easier to use than PSN, and so I can sort of semi justify the cost. Ive been lucky and had a LOT of Live for free, but I have had to pay aswell.

PSN really is the only other 'competitor' to live, I dont think PC gaming and console gaming can be seen in the same realm, im happy to pay for live if I see good services, but the fact theyre ALSO so money hungry in other ways really puts me off.

They tried it actually, and it didn't work,

So what's something that didn't work? Carroll talks about one dropped feature. "Invasion at one time had an economy where you got money and spent it on weapons and vehicles. That level of complexity, where you add another layer to the basic Halo gameplay—it was interesting, but you spend so much time worrying about money and these other things that you don't have enough time to worry about tactics and keeping the team completing your objective," he explained. "Everyone worrying about making money for themselves took away from the point of just capturing [the objective]. So we had that for a while, tried it out, and that additional complexity... it's not better."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ed-punishing-ars-plays-halo-reach-multi.ars/3

Hydranockz said:
3:19 guys. A second circle apears above the AA... what is it? It has something to do with the skull he picked up me thinks...

I was wondering about that, he also loses his motion sensor, but you could do that in Halo 3, even if it wasn't a default setting. Maybe it's some invincibility for picking up the skull? I Hope not.

Warm Machine said:
Why should it be free? No one has ever justified this.

After paying for the console, a internet connection and the game itself it seems a little over the top to have to also pay for use of online servers. Especially since historically online play has always been free.

Im not the orignal poster mind you, and im happy to pay for the additional services live offer, despite the fact they are really money grabbing.

Duk free lambo on the way, you just have to pay a small monthly subscription to use it :D

-viper-

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Why should it be free? No one has ever justified this.
:lol

Look, if anyone thinks its perfectly okay to pay for P2P gaming, then they're deluded.

edit: or look at the post above.

dilatedmuscle said:

As much as I love anything Halo, and I was a bit of a Halo 3 Engine defender...

Rare pretty much destroys ANY 360 developer when it comes to textures and most anything they could get out of the 360 when they fee like it.

Banjo and Kameo should make that pretty clear. Rare have phenomenal textures in their games. Freaky shit how good they are.

zumphry

Banned
Hydranockz said:
3:19 guys. A second circle apears above the AA... what is it? It has something to do with the skull he picked up me thinks...

Probably to show that it's disabled.

Also, at 4:28, Shishka's talking about Invasion having more varied layouts than Slayer, and they show (what's probably) Elites/Covies Slayer with two layouts of Warrior (Plasma Repeater+Plasma Pistol) and Zealot (Needler Rifle+Plasma Pistol).

Is this going to be the standard for just Elites Slayer, or is Spartan Slayer (or Team Slayer) going to have something like DMR+Pistol and AR+Pistol to choose from, or just the same weapon combos with different armor abilities?

Probably already asked/answered, though. :/

We all know the NPC's were godawful.... I wont be posting the awesome textures in other scenes coz i dont wanna spam.

Thagomizer said:
Just...just no. Please stop.

I guess im blind... anyways, where can i see the larger gif on your avatar? i been going through the pages and i cant find it.

dilatedmuscle said:
We all know the NPC's were godawful.... I wont be posting the awesome textures in other scenes coz i dont wanna spam.

I guess im blind... anyways, where can i see the larger gif on your avatar? i been going through the pages and i cant find it.

Letters made it for me directly through PM. It hasn't appeared here in larger form as far as I'm aware.

ManCannon said:
I remember the night before the big E3 press conference where Halo 3 was to be debuted. We were at Mann's Chinese Theater for rehearsals doing a full show run through with Peter Moore.

We had our debug hooked up to the projector and a very giant, unforgiving movie screen. We ran the real-time demo for the executives.

Peter Moore to Frank: "Frank, come here... What's up with those jaggies on the horizon there? Can you get the guys to tighten up the bumpmaps?"

Frank: "...."

"Tighten up the bump maps" has been a part of the internal lexicon ever since.

This day in Bungie history brought to you by Gamercyde.

:lol Too good.
Honestly, the media for Reach so far has been amazing looking. My only complain is it seems like it needs some more dramatic lighting here and there. Then again, that may not lend itself to the multiplayer environment very well. Also, I always love atmospheric effects, like heat and dirt blowing around.. But uh..where was I going? Seriously though, Reach is looking fantastic.

Oh Btw:

Ssparks said:
I'll start: HaloGaf Podcast Introz
Tashi
Demoncarnotaur
Letters
Sparks
Yeti
Kapura
Still adding new ones...

I sent you a PM with a download link to mine in case you do like it. =P

Ten-Song

nilam01 said:
Yeah the human models were pretty awful :lol , but the actual texture quality wasn't that bad, it's the environment texturing that was unmatched.

halo 3

gears of war

Yeah, I don't think Halo was an outright terrible looking game, but the graphical quality on it was pretty schizophrenic. In some spots it looked great, in others, it was pretty terrible. The cutscenes in particular brought this out a lot more. I remember seeing Lord Hood during the Floodgate cutscene and thinking "OH MY GOD WHY DID THEY LET THIS DECOMPOSING MIME ONTO THE SHIP?!"

Gears 1 had some weird spots for comparison, but on the whole I think it was more consistent. Gears 2 however, has yet to really be topped for me when it comes to 360 games, though.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
As much as I love anything Halo, and I was a bit of a Halo 3 Engine defender...

Rare pretty much destroys ANY 360 developer when it comes to textures and most anything they could get out of the 360 when they fee like it.

Banjo and Kameo should make that pretty clear. Rare have phenomenal textures in their games. Freaky shit how good they are.

I did hear a lot about how good Banjo is, unfortunately, i havent seen it. I wish rare would come back from their slump

Thagomizer said:
Letters made it for me directly through PM. It hasn't appeared here in larger form as far as I'm aware.

Shucks, that scene was badass. Its pretty intense, stabbing the other elite in the back of the head and having the blade come through his mouth. To make matters worse he is manhandling him lol

ZayneH said:
Probably to show that it's disabled.

Also, at 4:28, Shishka's talking about Invasion having more varied layouts than Slayer, and they show (what's probably) Elites/Covies Slayer with two layouts of Warrior (Plasma Repeater+Plasma Pistol) and Zealot (Needler Rifle+Plasma Pistol).

Is this going to be the standard for just Elites Slayer, or is Spartan Slayer (or Team Slayer) going to have something like DMR+Pistol and AR+Pistol to choose from, or just the same weapon combos with different armor abilities?

Probably already asked/answered, though. :/
I disagree. If they wanted to show you can't use the AA anymore they could have very easily greyed it out as if you had used it all. This is in addition to the AA... It looks blank but looks as if you can 'use' it as there is the charge around it.

Edit: Also, 20 pages of recap when I got home from university... Not cool guys :/ hahaha.

I am curious to hear more about how those Amazon 'deals' are going :p

Top Bottom