• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB

I realize this conversation was so two hours ago, but...

Trasher said:
Don't get me wrong, I want it to be fun and awesome too! It's just the one gametype I have doubts about. Probably the thing that scares me most about it is just going into this gametype by myself and having dudes who have no idea what they are doing and turning the damn thing in to a slayer match. :lol
I'm actually more interested in seeing some of these gametypes in different contexts than they'll appear in the Beta. In particular, Team Headhunter rather than FFA, and I think Stockpile could be great on a larger map; I'm imagining four flags moving around Valhalla or Standoff in a BTB setting and its making me happy in special places.

SynthetiCTS

Neo Member
Please tell me everyone has saw at 8:04 in the ViDoc that the Magnum Melee looks slightly similar to the CE Pistol Flip. The Spartan melee's once than goes into sprint to assassinate the flag carrier. He flips the pistol over to whip with the butt of the gun. It just made my heart smile a little bit.

Kapura

Banned
alright, sent urk a PM on Bnet. I hope my intro is OK

*continues to ignore texture whinging*

PS: if you are some sick masochist who wants an .mp3 of my intro, I can send it to you.

SynthetiCTS said:
Please tell me everyone has saw at 8:04 in the ViDoc that the Magnum Melee looks slightly similar to the CE Pistol Flip. The Spartan melee's once than goes into sprint to assassinate the flag carrier. He flips the pistol over to whip with the butt of the gun. It just made my heart smile a little bit.
wat?

:p Yeah, I love the tidbits from the other games thrown in to Reach.

GhaleonEB said:

I'm actually more interested in seeing some of these gametypes in different contexts than they'll appear in the Beta. In particular, Team Headhunter rather than FFA, and I think Stockpile could be great on a larger map; I'm imagining four flags moving around Valhalla or Standoff in a BTB setting and its making me happy in special places.

Hopefully the scoring timer can be adjusted to account for larger maps. I can't help but think something like Beaver Creek would be amazing for this gametype.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GhaleonEB said:

I am more excited for Team Headhunter than I am for FFA.

Hope we don't get too many whiners at the start complaining about matchmaking being broken.

I mean, the system is going to take time tallying up the data of the players who attain certain attributes like Chatty, Team Player, Competetive, Lone Wolf and all that other cool stuff it's doing.

It's going to be a while before it can accurately start to match the finer points of each player.

Really hope there aren't too many whingers to begin with that obviously dont realise how it all works.

wwm0nkey

urk said:
Maestro.gif
ewww-1.jpg

Sorry, just had too :lol

Kibbles said:
Luke Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVS254Fox4

Nuff said.
<3

(Yeah I know my creativity sucks. I'm not a pro who can make songs out of this, etc.)

Too good. :lol
SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION: Mine has an similar concept

Im loving all of these entry's. We need to get all of them used in one way or another.

So, are we do for anything special tomorrow? Invasion write up in the update I believe.. I wonder if we can get renders and info on the mongoose and turrets. I would like some more pictures also, but we have so much already so I wont complain. :D

Kibbles said:
Luke Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVS254Fox4

Nuff said.
<3

(Yeah I know my creativity sucks. I'm not a pro who can make songs out of this, etc.)
Haha. Good job.
Popeck said:
There are jaggies in the game but the IQ has improved and the motion blur makes the game feel smoother. It also helps that many details have improved: animations, visual effects, particle effects and so on. The art style is very similar though. You shouldn't expect a huge visual jump from beta to retail. Here's some comparisons from Halo 3 retail versus Halo 3 beta: http://rework3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=867375. But hey, at least the water was improved upon.
That link was interesting. Never seen, at least not for awhile, some side-by-side comparisons of Halo 3 and its Beta.

EazyB

Banned
Coco has me pretty excited to play Generator Defense. Invasion still sounds a bit too chaotic for my liking but there's gotta be an audience for it, I've seen Heavies go unveto'd many times.

nilam01 said:
I thought the jaggies were just as bad, at some times even worse. Visr mode helped smooth out some edges though.
With ODST at the same exact resolution and using the same AA (or more accurately lack of AA) I'm not sure how anyone would think the jaggies were worse. Maybe my impression of the game looking better spawns from the vast majority of my time spent in Halo 3 being in MP while ODST was about SP. Even then, ODST's film grain helped a lot IMO, maybe not in one area but I think film grain makes the images look a lot less sterile, less flat, and hides general imperfections. I know it's a bit of a subjective thing and people actually think it makes some games look worse but I love it in ME and L4D.

For an idea of what film grain does to a game's visuals:
Mass Effect

Just a question in case anyone knows, or if any of 'the boys' can answer.

How much glitch/cheating testing can you really get done in 2 weeks of BETA work?

2 weeks seems barely long enough to stress test and weapon balance.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

How much glitch/cheating testing can you really get done in 2 weeks of BETA work?

Where was it said the beta would last 2 weeks?

big ander

I hope the beta's over 2 weeks. I knew AP tests started that Monday, but I was hoping I didn't have any around the time of the beta launching. Turns out I do. Government on the 3rd, Spanish AND Statistics on the 4th. But I'm not worried, I'll just grab it on Wednesday and play catch-up. :D

Schmitty

big ander said:
I hope the beta's over 2 weeks. I knew AP tests started that Monday, but I was hoping I didn't have any around the time of the beta launching. Turns out I do. Government on the 3rd, Spanish AND Statistics on the 4th. But I'm not worried, I'll just grab it on Wednesday and play catch-up. :D
You actually study for AP tests? I never studied for mine in HS.

By the way, I want that Focus Rifle. So cool looking.

Kapura

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

2 weeks * 3 million players * 1 Hour per day = 42,000,000 hours into the game. That's a lot of time to uncover bugs. Also note that people will be trying to break the game, which helps in the finding glitches department.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Where was it said the beta would last 2 weeks?

Read it somehwere, let me try and find it.

It sounded weird when I first heard it because I remember the Halo 3 beta going for almost a month didn't it?

@TehSkull we haven't nailed an end date yet and it will partly depend how it's going. safe to say at least 2 weeks but not over a month.

Sorry ok, at LEAST 2 weeks, maybe a month.

Ok well hopefully closer to a month. Sometimes cheaters don't get warmed up for a bit. I'd rather their shit was stamped out asap.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Read it somehwere, let me try and find it.

It sounded weird when I first heard it because I remember the Halo 3 beta going for almost a month didn't it?
I'm pretty sure Bungie's response to whenever anyone asks about the length of the beta has been, whenever we feel it's right or something like that.

Oozer3993

bobs99 ... said:
After paying for the console, a internet connection and the game itself it seems a little over the top to have to also pay for use of online servers. Especially since historically online play has always been free.

Im not the orignal poster mind you, and im happy to pay for the additional services live offer, despite the fact they are really money grabbing.

Duk free lambo on the way, you just have to pay a small monthly subscription to use it :D

-viper- said:
:lol

Look, if anyone thinks its perfectly okay to pay for P2P gaming, then they're deluded.

edit: or look at the post above.

If anyone thinks MS should not try to recoup the massive amount of money they've put into Live, and that the feature set available to those that subscribe is not enough to be charged for, then they're an idiot.

Kapura said:
MERCILESS TEASING FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU THE BUNGIE PODCAST

I KNEW IT! A level takes place inside Barney the Dinosaur!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This graphics talk is the WORST.

I can't wait to just run around the maps, exploring, finding new jumps. I have so much fun doing that. After that, it's straight destroying everything that moves. :lol I can't wait to use the DMR. It looked pretty damn sexy in the video. I also liked how it was shown being used in close to medium range in the ViDoc. That made me happy :)

big ander

Schmitty said:
You actually study for AP tests? I never studied for mine in HS.

By the way, I want that Focus Rifle. So cool looking.
Well now that I've decided on a school, I'm going to see what they'll accept in the way of AP credit. I already have 6 tests under my belt, so these might not be important at all. :p But I'll still cram a bit, getting below a 4 on stuff like Stat or US Government would be embarrassing.
And on-topic: FOCUS RIFLE YES. The baconator looks so awesome.

Kapura said:
MERCILESS TEASING FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU THE BUNGIE PODCAST
Just saw it too. :D Wonder what it means.

Kapura

Banned
big ander said:
Just saw it too. :D Wonder what it means.
My biggest hope is that it means that part of the Beta (maybe the last stage of Boneyard) will take place on a Covie ship. But it probably just means something along the lines of "Hey remember those few frames of the vidoc? Purple. Extrapolate where the campaign will take you from there."

Dani had already predicted a Covenant ship, so chalk one up for him.

Mayyhem

Tashi0106 said:

I can't wait to just run around the maps, exploring, finding new jumps. I have so much fun doing that. After that, it's straight destroying everything that moves. :lol I can't wait to use the DMR. It looked pretty damn sexy in the video. I also liked how it was shown being used in close to medium range in the ViDoc. That made me happy :)
I agree, I'm pumped to use the DMR. I loved that part in the ViDoc where the DMR dude throws a nade down the hall and finishes that guy with the AR running at him

cazosozey

Tashi0106 said:

Same here bro. First few matches of beta, you will find me abusing the hell out of the jetpack exploring.

big ander

Kapura said:
My biggest hope is that it means that part of the Beta (maybe the last stage of Boneyard) will take place on a Covie ship. But it probably just means something along the lines of "Hey remember those few frames of the vidoc? Purple. Extrapolate where the campaign will take you from there."

Yeah, I was also thinking it's just a hint that we will see the inside of a Covenant something. Sounds good to me.

Just got home, and HOLY SHIT VIDOC! Looks awesome.

One complaint - I know that the visual tone is supposed to be more worn down and used looking, but do the medals have to be faded? When I get an overkill, I like that shit shiny.

Also the DMR looks godly. <3

RdN

Wow, lots of news today! ViDoc, awesome as always. Legendary price, not so much. I know I'll end up buying it anyway, and that's why the price is so high.. but I don't see why not keep it USD 100.

Anyway.. 12 days.

ManCannon

Kapura said:

Someone already pointed this out (see watermarks) so technically I'm not dream crushing but that purple map isn't part of the beta. Sorry :(

Also I hear this was already cleared up too but to reiterate - mongoose / race isn't in the beta either. (it was in the internal build for a spell which is how some journos played it)

Beta duration will be just as long as it needs to be. more than two weeks / not to exceed a month seems like a safe bet. We will get a ton of testing - invaluable network and backend testing in addition to some good glitch / balance feedback. We'll see how it goes... The scale can make up for a lot of time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mayyhem said:
I agree, I'm pumped to use the DMR. I loved that part in the ViDoc where the DMR dude throws a nade down the hall and finishes that guy with the AR running at him

IMPOSSIBLE

GhaleonEB said:
And now my special places are happy. Takes me back to the push and pull of epic 3 hour long CTF games on Blood Gulch and Sidewinder (touch return off, flag at home to score). So good.

EazyB said:
Coco has me pretty excited to play Generator Defense. Invasion still sounds a bit too chaotic for my liking but there's gotta be an audience for it, I've seen Heavies go unveto'd many times.
Did Coco P post impressions of Xbox 360 Dashboard somewhere? If so, I missed it, and I'd love to catch up. Or was this just a conversation you guys had on Live?

OuterWorldVoice said:
IMPOSSIBLE
p1.kevin.jpg

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:
Someone already pointed this out (see watermarks) so technically I'm not dream crushing but that purple map isn't part of the beta. Sorry :(

Also I hear this was already cleared up too but to reiterate - mongoose / race isn't in the beta either. (it was in the internal build for a spell which is how some journos played it)

Beta duration will be just as long as it needs to be. more than two weeks / not to exceed a month seems like a safe bet. We will get a ton of testing - invaluable network and backend testing in addition to some good glitch / balance feedback. We'll see how it goes... The scale can make up for a lot of time.
Thanks for the DREAM CRUSHING / Clarification. Did you see Ssparks's list of all of the GAF podcast theme submissions so far? We love you all so much.

EazyB

Banned
Syracuse022 said:
Did Coco P post impressions of Xbox 360 Dashboard somewhere? If so, I missed it, and I'd love to catch up. Or was this just a conversation you guys had on Live?
Just grilling him over Live last night. Guy took an hour to see if he could even say anything. I swear, he's such a little girl when it comes to possibly breaking NDAs.

Even then he wouldn't say if simultaneous betdowns were in. We know simultaneous shoot-downs have been added, but nothing from journalists or Bungie about the classic simultaneous punchouts.

ManCannon said:

Hey I was wondering if you could answer something for me...

What is the reasoning for not having Team Headhunter in the beta? Seems like an easy enough addition, and certainly there are quite a few people would prefer Team as apposed to FFA.

Pappasman

big ander said:

Ya me too. I have an AP Lit and Gov tests that week. I'll play the beta over studying though.

Top Bottom