• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EazyB said:
Just grilling him over Live last night. Guy took an hour to see if he could even say anything. I swear, he's such a little girl when it comes to possibly breaking NDAs.

Even then he wouldn't say if simultaneous betdowns were in. We know simultaneous shoot-downs have been added, but nothing from journalists or Bungie about the classic simultaneous punchouts.

This is actually important. I hope they're not in.

big ander

Pappasman said:
Ya me too. I have an AP Lit and Gov tests that week. I'll play the beta over studying though.
Yeah, I probably won't be able to resist come Monday afternoon. :D

EDIT:
Mayyhem said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned but what time on the 3rd is the Beta planned to switched on to the public?
IIRC it's supposed to be up mid-morning PST.

soldat7

dilatedmuscle said:
He must have insanely high standards... or he cannot appreciate sharp textures, massive action, epic skyboxes etc....

Honestly, how can someone say the graphics are not that great when the quality they have shown is unpresendented on xbox360

And I don't see saved films in other console games. I don't think people understand just how difficult that actually is to implement.

And you're blind or a fool or both if you don't think that this looks amazing:

reach_byebye.gif

MrDaravon

I actually really genuinely like Luke's breakdown of Halo: "Two men enter; the better man leaves, the lesser man is respawning, and that's Halo."

Also as far as people who will be playing in F&F next weekend, do we know for sure that livestreams/etc will be allowed or not? I saw it mentioned and I would love to spend next weekend doing nothing but watching livestreams, but it just occurred to me that I don't know if they'd be allowed or not.

OuterWorldVoice said:
IMPOSSIBLE

:lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ManCannon said:
Someone already pointed this out (see watermarks) so technically I'm not dream crushing but that purple map isn't part of the beta. Sorry :(

Also I hear this was already cleared up too but to reiterate - mongoose / race isn't in the beta either. (it was in the internal build for a spell which is how some journos played it)

Beta duration will be just as long as it needs to be. more than two weeks / not to exceed a month seems like a safe bet. We will get a ton of testing - invaluable network and backend testing in addition to some good glitch / balance feedback. We'll see how it goes... The scale can make up for a lot of time.

Watermarks FTW! So awesome to put a little something extra in that Vidoc, hopefully we can see more of it at E3 maybe.

Pity about the lack of Mongoosing, not surprising since it hasn't been mentioned universally by the press. It looks as if it was running on some kind of Forged up Boneyard. Again, let's hope we get to see more at E3. That goose looks quite hot from all of the few frames of it seen. :lol

EazyB

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
This is actually important. I hope they're not in.
As do I but I have a feeling if they adding simultaneous shoot-outs then beatdowns are definitely in. The best I think we could hope for is that the new melee system results in a lot less of them.

SailorDaravon said:
Also as far as people who will be playing in F&F next weekend, do we know for sure that livestreams/etc will be allowed or not? I saw it mentioned and I would love to spend next weekend doing nothing but watching livestreams, but it just occurred to me that I don't know if they'd be allowed or not.
I'm sure they can. It's one reason Tashi should definitely get in, he's our HaloGAF streamer and everyone here who doesn't get in will be able to live through him.

cazosozey

soldat7 said:
And I don't see saved films in other console games. I don't think people understand just how difficult that actually is to implement.

reach_byebye.gif

I could watch that gif for hours. . .HOURS!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EazyB said:
As do I but I have a feeling if they adding simultaneous shoot-outs then beatdowns are definitely in. The best I think we could hope for is that the new melee system results in a lot less of them.

What do you mean simultaneous shoot-outs? Do you mean that we can kill each other at the same time just by shooting? If so, this happens in Halo 3 as well. Not just online either, on LAN as well.

EazyB said:
I'm sure they can. It's one reason Tashi should definitely get in, he's our HaloGAF streamer and everyone here who doesn't get in will be able to live through him.

<3

All are welcome to my stream. :)

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
You can google programs that will make .gif's for you.
I have done this a few times and it left me confused and with a very messy picture of what is ideal. I thought that since this is a message board of people who are posting and discussing animated gifs, someone who actually makes them could provide a suggestion that would provide a better starting point than digging through a bunch of programs I've never heard of and have a hard time evaluating.

wwm0nkey said:
You can google programs that will make .gif's for you.
I have tried searching multiple times and I either end up finding nothing or else programs that are severely limited by 'trial' restrictions...

Any specific links would be greatly appreciated.

Striker

ManCannon said:
Someone already pointed this out (see watermarks) so technically I'm not dream crushing but that purple map isn't part of the beta. Sorry :(

Also I hear this was already cleared up too but to reiterate - mongoose / race isn't in the beta either. (it was in the internal build for a spell which is how some journos played it)

Beta duration will be just as long as it needs to be. more than two weeks / not to exceed a month seems like a safe bet. We will get a ton of testing - invaluable network and backend testing in addition to some good glitch / balance feedback. We'll see how it goes... The scale can make up for a lot of time.
Thanks.

Didn't expect either of the Covenant map or the Mongoose/Race to be included in the end. But still hypes a bit more for the retail. I've felt the Covenant maps have always shined on Halo games.

Gotta watch the vidoc in HD now - only got it normal last night.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I have done this a few times and it left me confused and with a very messy picture of what is ideal. I thought that since this is a message board of people who are posting and discussing animated gifs, someone who actually makes them could provide a suggestion that would provide a better starting point that digging through a bunch of programs I've never heard of and have a hard time evaluating.

I have like five programs on my PC and still no clue as to make GIF's. I echo this request to share GIF making secrets.

wwm0nkey

Devin Olsen said:
I have tried searching multiple times and I either end up finding nothing or else programs that are severely limited by 'trial' restrictions...

Any specific links would be greatly appreciated.
I use vid gif, not usre if its the best though but its easy.

soldat7

IGN: During our preview session, I was definitely not using health packs as I should. I kept running by and missing them. I was so trained from Halo 3 to just listen to the sound of my shield regenerating.

CC: In Halo 2 and 3 we actually had health, but we hid it. It was on a separate system. I think it took about 15 seconds to come all the way back. And so it was actually a decision we made that if you just [got] shot, you've got damage and you're going to be down health. And then I spawn and I run at you, and we both look like we're at full health because our meters are full, but you're actually down health, so if we exchange the exact same amount of fire I win. Just because your health hasn't come all the way back. So we want to strip that back off. Health is there, [and the player needs] to understand that it's something to think about.

I have to admit, I'm VERY happy that health is returning to Halo.

Sidenote from .gif secret-learning:

I've seen pretty much everything there is to offer and I still have a wishlist for things to see in Reach when it hits retail (some of which I know should be in it):

- More customization armor bits (i.e. knee pads, thigh pads, feet, etc)
- Elite customization that rivals the Spartan customization options
- This gets its own bullet point: Councilor helmet for the elites! I don't care if it makes my head bigger :)
- Unlockable color schemes/camo patterns for each gun (would be sooo sweet)
- Earnable assassination animations (more grandiose/different weapons = more challenging to earn)
- I know it's dumb, but I've always wanted the ability to throw the darned sword.
- Earnable flaunting/taunting animations (can be used via the d-pad) *can be used when game timer is starting (i.e. grifball)
- (I think its in there) In-game point notification

I have more things, but I just got a phone call so have fun, pick it apart.

wwm0nkey

I need to start making more gif's haven't really had the time too lately. Only thing ive done recently was this.

ewww-1.jpg

Still find this amazingly funny though :lol

big ander

I don't know if anybody here runs GIMP (free image editor, not as good as PS, but it's fine), but I'll post this anyway.
I'm not great with .gifs, but here's how I make them when I do. I start off with my video. I then use Windows Movie Maker to trim it down to what I want to turn into a .gif. I then save that video. From there, I use a program called MediaCoder to save it as an AVI. I then use an extension of GIMP called GAP (Gimp Animation Package) to convert it to a .gif. From there, you can edit specific frames, view the playback, etc. I learned all of that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=1RMvoLyI_qs
Download links are in the description.

It's a little time-consuming, which is why I don't churn out gifs ever like Letters or anybody, but when I have an idea for a gif this process is more than functional. Hope that helps.

soldat7 said:
I have to admit, I'm VERY happy that health is returning to Halo.

I'm mixed, I'll have to play it for a full impression on whether I like it's return or not, though I do like how it does regenerate within a certain bar like Far Cry 2 - the awesome healing animations.

cazosozey

GhaleonEB said:
How do y'all make animated gifs? I wanna learn to be a provider, not just a beggar.

The only way I know how is to use GIMP then treat each layer as a frame. And add the time next to each frames name like (1000ms) for example.

wwm0nkey said:
I need to start making more gif's haven't really had the time too lately. Only thing ive done recently was this.

ewww-1.jpg

Still find this amazingly funny though :lol

This is going to be getting a lot of use around here.

rightclickcsaveas

soldat7

CrazedArabMan said:
I'm mixed, I'll have to play it for a full impression on whether I like it's return or not, though I do like how it does regenerate within a certain bar like Far Cry 2 - the awesome healing animations.

One of my pet peeves with Halo 2 and 3 is you're drilling a guy, he runs around a corner, 5 seconds pass, and he runs out at you fully charged. To me it feels very cheap and artificial. I want that feeling of actually inflicting damage to someone. I think a lot of people will feel that Reach is more 'fair' as a result. We'll see though.

Urk, Luke, and or any other Bungie dudes. Are you guys still taking submissions for podcast themes? I am working on something simple, will post it here when I am done.

Schmitty

Don't know if it has been pointed out, but the Reach beta t-shirt will be unlocked through Halo: Waypoint. If you check out the awards for Waypoint, the Reach t-shirt has been added with the requirement to play the beta.

soldat7 said:

reach_byebye.gif
WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EazyB

Banned
soldat7 said:
One of my pet peeves with Halo 2 and 3 is you're drilling a guy, he runs around a corner, 5 seconds pass, and he runs out at you fully charged. To me it feels very cheap and artificial. I want that feeling of actually inflicting damage to someone. I think a lot of people will feel that Reach is more 'fair' as a result. We'll see though.
See, I sorta feel the opposite. The fact that all the health recharges relatively quickly means you really have to plan your attack carefully. If you see someone just outside a doorway you know you have to take him down quickly or block off his escape route with grenades otherwise he'll get away and your effort could be meaningless. With non-regenerating health there could be a degree of "eh, who cares what happens once I start shooting him. If he gets away he'll be crippled and easier to take out next time."

There are other things I don't like about it but I'mma have to wait until I get some games in to see if/how it effects my play and the way others play. It's one thing that has me excited about elite vs elite gametypes. Fast, no hunting down healthpacks, and evade!

wwm0nkey

Thagomizer said:
This is going to be getting a lot of use around here.

rightclickcsaveas
Honestly he made so many faces in the newest vidoc that I had to do this, there are 3 other epic stop frame pics too :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:
It's one thing that has me excited about elite vs elite gametypes. Fast, no hunting down healthpacks, and evade!

I'm excited to see if Elite versus Elites makes it to the Arena. Fast paced slaying, no health packs et al. Would be glorious.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
darkressurection said:
Urk, Luke, and or any other Bungie dudes. Are you guys still taking submissions for podcast themes? I am working on something simple, will post it here when I am done.

Fire away.

GhaleonEB said:
Can I borrow yours?

Sure. Drop by anytime.

Teknoman

Wow that new vidoc...MP looks like its going to be so much fun. Also the graphics look nice (everything has a smooth look to it), so not sure what there is to complain about atm. Hopefully there will be alot of objective games going on.

EazyB said:
IAWTP.

wwm0nkey said:
patrick_bateman-1.jpg

You guys see it too, right? Except instead of ruminating on Huey Lewis's "It's Hip To Be Square" he waxes poetic about packet loss and hitscan. And sausage.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Teknoman said:
Hopefully there will be alot of objective games going on.

With Generator Defence and Invasion and even Stockpile, alongside returning objective games such as King of the Hill, CTF and Oddball, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy as an objective fan. It's quite refreshing to see actually, especially with the community's heaving Slayer love, Bungie pushing new objective modes and encouraging to folks to mix things up a little and work as a team properly in addition to fragging about.

urk said:
Fire away.

I'm guessing you guys are keeping an eye on the thread and the list, but just in case I sent a PM to you with the youtube and a download link. Is that ok, or do you want us to submit it elsewhere?

Also, any chance of getting renders of the turret and mongoose tomorrow? :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Demoncarnotaur said:
Also, any chance of getting renders of the turret and mongoose tomorrow? :D

Race/Mongoose is confirmed NOT to be in the Beta, so I doubt we'll get any renders of it yet as it might be changed (or not) by the time we get our hands on it properly (release =\).

Unless we get a surprise Mongoose insertion. I'm all for it.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
How do y'all make animated gifs? I wanna learn to be a provider, not just a beggar.
And then what happens to me here?? :(

Major Williams said:
I also agree - is there an easy program for this? Letters what do you use? I have all of Adobe Creative Suite 4...
All I have is Photoshop CS3, with its animation palette, so I use that. There's probably much better stuff specifically for gifs, but it gets the job done well enough when all you want to do it make a direct gif from some video. For custom stuff, you have to work the layers on each frame, frame by frame.

EazyB said:
Just grilling him over Live last night. Guy took an hour to see if he could even say anything. I swear, he's such a little girl when it comes to possibly breaking NDAs.

Even then he wouldn't say if simultaneous betdowns were in. We know simultaneous shoot-downs have been added, but nothing from journalists or Bungie about the classic simultaneous punchouts.

Lol yeah. He was pretty tight lipped.

And he didn't even play CTF or Assault. Some source for information he is!

I wonder if there will be any change to Assault or if it will be the same as Halo 3. Guess well find out soon enough :D

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Unless we get a surprise Mongoose insertion. I'm all for it.
Sounds hot.
urk said:
Sure. Drop by anytime.
I was hoping you did delivery, but I'll swing up in August during PAX.
Letters said:
And then what happens to me here?? :(
I will usurp your throne as the ruling gif-maker and rule for all eternity while you are banished to perpetual torment.

Why?

Top Bottom