• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

love the smoke effect from the jet-pack.

The other thing people keep forgetting is that halo games are:
a - maps are larger then in 90% of other fps games out there, which means there is a compromise to get the same scope.
b - save films let you go anywhere in a level, which means that bungie can't take shortcuts in mapping the environment, everything has to be textured and modeled, unlike in say, hl2.
and
c - there's more then just the graphics to look at. Few if any games have the same amount intelligent ai in a scene, or the level of physics that bungie puts into their games.

that said, there are always things that can be worked on, and I'd love to see what bungie could create with something like DX11 in mind.

There's also a bunch of time until the game goes gold, content is done, so now it's all, beta, bugs, optimization, and polish. That can take a game a long way.

Not a Jellyfish said:
I just want to commend everyone who has made submissions for the podcast intro, I have been trying and it is no easy task.

I am 100% positive that I could never be a sound engineer, thankfully that is not what I am going to school for. :lol

I will not be turning in a submission can't get anything that I would think of calling presentable. :lol
I'd like to try and submit one, but mine would just be me singing, while playing an accoustic guitar and I'm not sure if I should really subject anyone to that.

Self Induced said:
multiteam in general is an under-appreciated classic
I love multi-team. I'm just not sure why VIP is still one of the game types in the playlist when everyone hates it. Okay, maybe that was extreme, most everybody hates it :lol

Mad Max

GhaleonEB said:
I have done this a few times and it left me confused and with a very messy picture of what is ideal. I thought that since this is a message board of people who are posting and discussing animated gifs, someone who actually makes them could provide a suggestion that would provide a better starting point than digging through a bunch of programs I've never heard of and have a hard time evaluating.

Ulead gif animator works pretty well.

feel

Requested

2rm8f4g.jpg

edit- reuploaded

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
les papillons sexuels said:
the elite's under armour, is on par with the quality of the crysis nano suit.

as a side note, those to gifs playing right underneath and ont op of one another looks crazy.

The visual upgrade in the series being shown in that gif alone is very impressive. That and really Elites just look like they are really fun to play ass and I love how evade stays in first person. Looks so fast. :D

Letters said:
Requested

sweetassassination.gif

edit- reuploaded

EPIC

so far, the elites assasinations are the best IMO that one is just hardcore and the lower lumbar stab was also badass on GTTV.

EDIT: The airborn Spartan assassination could probably be the best... Im a Dragon Ball z fan after all :p

Come to think of it, there must be a lot of variations.. For example, there will probably be a minimum of four assasinations per situation; Spartan V Spartan, Spartan V Elite, Elite V Elite, Elite V Spartan.

K I can finish this list out.

I've seen pretty much everything there is to offer and I still have a wishlist for things to see in Reach when it hits retail (some of which I know should be in it):

Earnable items:
- More customization armor bits (i.e. knee pads, thigh pads, boots, etc)

- Elite customization that rivals the Spartan customization options

- This gets its own bullet point: Councilor helmet for the elites. I don't care if it makes my head bigger :D

- Unlockable color schemes/camo patterns for each gun perhaps also for armor and armor abilities (i.e. jetpacks) (would be sooo sweet)

- Earnable assassination animations (more grandiose/different weapons = more challenging to earn)

- Earnable flaunting/taunting animations or sayings (can be used via the d-pad) *can be used when game timer is starting (i.e. grifball)

- (I think its in there) In-game point-earning notification

Other gameplay things:
- I know it's dumb, but I've always wanted the ability to throw the darned sword.

- The ability to heal wounded teammates would be fun as an ability, but maybe imbalanced

- Plasma 'nade bouncing a la Halo 2!

- A way to glitch out of maps/super jump past barriers in custom games

- Remember 'favorite' loadout so don't have to switch through all of them if the 4th is your favorite.

- If you kill someone while flying in a jetpack, it would be super sweet to see them spiral out of control as opposed to just have a normal mid-air death animation

- Variants of vehicles (i.e. Honor guard Wraiths, different warthogs)

- Cobras, Wolverines, Vultures, Locusts, Super Scarab

- Change time of day for maps

- I have more Campaign wishlist stuff, but that's for another day.

Striker

- A way to glitch out of maps/super jump past barriers in custom games
I doubt that'd happen; the main idea in this is I don't think there's invisible walls any longer. They mentioned warning calls once you're "out of boundary", similar to Bad Company 2. Gives you ten seconds to return to the battle field (Reach's time cumulates).

dilatedmuscle said:
Come to think of it, there must be a lot of variations.. For example, there will probably be a minimum of four assasinations per situation; Spartan V Spartan, Spartan V Elite, Elite V Elite, Elite V Spartan.

We've already seen seven of them: two distinct assassinations for elites (the one in the gif above and the rectal-sword thing xD) and five distinct assassinations for spartans (knife from behind, puNches from behind, that broken-neck one, the one that finishes with a fist in the guts/stomach and the jetpack one).

Sorry for my crappy descriptions xD

broony

Letters said:
Fond memories of 4 player split-screen FFA on that place.

4 player split screen rockets on prisoner was one of my favourite Halo 1 memories. Two player split screen on hang em high was fusking awesome as well. Sniping with pistol and grenade throwing accross the map.

Yeesh, when you see the Elite roll from first-person it really gives you an appreciation for how fast you're moving on the ground. Me likey. :D

Sitting at work today waiting for the inevitable "analysis" trailer from the dude at TTL.
Also thinking that in 7 days time, people that are far luckier than I will be playing the Beta.

May 3rd cannot come soon enough!

Finished writing the lyrics for my Bungie Podcast theme submission, so gonna head home after work, break out the guitar, and whack some chords to it. I'm sure a humiliating youtube video will appear at some point on Saturday.

For Reach Im just waiting for weather. In multiplayer. Kinda like Lockout but more than a few sprinkles. I want a blizzard. Other than that I couldn't really ask for anything else.

Truant

Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about MP?

If Bungie are using Halo: CE as their template for the campaign, then SP is definitely where it's at.

Truant said:

If Bungie are using Halo: CE as their template for the campaign, then SP is definitely where it's at.

I'm definitely a campaign co-op player more than a mp-guy.

Therefore, I can't wait to see what Bungie has in store for us. And let's not forget firefight: with all the tweaks and improvement made to the Halo formula, firefight can really be something I'll be playing until Halo 4 rolls out xD

I'm really excited for the beta, though. Never been this hyped for a multiplayer game in my life. Invasion and generator defense it's all I can think about.

LordAlu

Truant said:

No, you're not. Since the beta is only multiplayer though that's all there is to talk about! :D

I just hope the download for the beta is available over the weekend before, to allow us to get it downloaded and ready for the May 3rd unlock. A quick title update to ODST to allow the download on the Friday and another title update on the Monday to allow you to run it would be awesome. It would also make XBox Live far less likely to have the (almost) inevitable crash when everyone jumps on! :lol

Truant said:

Sure seems like you are. :lol

EDIT: I'm a huge fan of the campaign as well, but to play Halo only for SP seems weird to me. Custom games were like all I did in Halo 2, and I spent a good amount of time in Forge/ Custom/Co-op in Halo 3.

Major Williams said:
- If you kill someone while flying in a jetpack, it would be super sweet to see them spiral out of control as opposed to just have a normal mid-air death animation

Reminds me of Metroid Prime 3, shooting down the jetpack Space Pirates, they would spiral out of control and crash in random places.... If they put that in reach it would be awesome!

EDIT: Imagine the spartans spiraling out of control and causing serious damage or even death by crashing onto another player.

Truant said:

You have no idea how anxious i am for E3 so i can see how the Single PLayer is turning out.

Tashi0106 said:
This is actually important. I hope they're not in.
I sort of hope simultaneous beatdowns are in. The times where I probably should have got the clean kill but got a sucky simultaneous are vastly outweighed by the times I got a simultaneous as a consolation prize for being a non-US resident.

The mechanic is there to mitigate the effect latency has on players like me, and there are a lot of us. From a bungie.net article in early 2008:

Well, in the halcyon days of Halo 2, the host made that determination. Which means his melee was first and the client lost the melee fight far more often than they should have. And in the event of two clients attacking simultaneously, the one with lower latency to the host would appear to have attacked first, and would be the winner. In a peer-to-peer environment with latency, it is nigh impossible to determine exactly who attacked first.

Over Halo 2’s three years online, many people adapted and got used to preemptively throwing a melee, but it was still fundamentally unfair in favor of the host or people with faster connections.

(i.e. fundamentally unfair in favour of North Americans.)

Najaf

For those that got in on the $60 Legendary Edition, the amazon page is back up with the exact URL as the original, and of course the $149.99 price tag. I for one will put up a fight if/when we get the cancellation notification. Having read their policy in detail, I believe that there is some ground to stand upon.

I only mention it here because if there are a handful who fervently contest their cancellations, there is a good chance that the original offer will be honored for those who make their displeasure known to customer service.

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
I sort of hope simultaneous beatdowns are in. The times where I probably should have got the clean kill but got a sucky simultaneous are vastly outweighed by the times I got a simultaneous as a consolation prize for being a non-US resident.

The mechanic is there to mitigate the effect latency has on players like me, and there are a lot of us. From a bungie.net article in early 2008:

It's the same thing for every input in the game - melee, bullets, etc. As long as it's P2P it'll always be unfair in favour of the host. I'd rather they work on setting up games regionally so people aren't playing transcontinental games rather than fudge "fair" outcomes. Seems like MM should do a much better job of this so the need for that melee system isn't there.

broony

Shake Appeal said:

I remeber how pleased I was moving from Halo 2 to Halo 3 with the change in how latencey was handled. It suddenly felt much fairer for us Euros. It's still far from perfect but I definately felt a lot less cheated.

Bungie have mentioned a few things about the big changes they have made to the networking code so hopefully I will notice a jump up in quality again.

EazyB said:
It's the same thing for every input in the game - melee, bullets, etc. As long as it's P2P it'll always be unfair in favour of the host. I'd rather they work on setting up games regionally so people aren't playing transcontinental games rather than fudge "fair" outcomes. Seems like MM should do a much better job of this so the need for that melee system isn't there.
No matter what they do with Matchmaking, the realities of Halo's player population mean I will be connecting to an American host more often than not in Reach, and most every American player in the game will have a (small but not inconsiderable) advantage over me. I appreciate I harp on about this, but it's probably my biggest bugbear when playing these games.

Although it's not like Halo is particularly bad in this regard; in fact, it's better than many other titles (I remember Gears of War didn't have client-side hit detection, and was effectively unplayable except against friends). It's also clear Bungie are aware of the variability in people's network experience, and very comforting to hear Timmins and others talk about how they've tried to address or alleviate some of the issues that arise through Matchmaking.

(And, as I've said before, it's not like they can fix or improve the Internet.)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
EazyB said:

This was sooo maddening in Halo 2. Playing from NZ I was pretty decent player at the time and could pretty comfortably kick the snot out of the large group of us who played it, I was the devil with the sword, however, get online and I would literally bounce off people when I'd lunge with that thing. Sword matches in general were horrible.

Hoping to god for regional options in this.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:

I don't think the regional part of matchmaking will top the TrueSkill system. Most likely you'll be matched up with more consideration given to finding evenly matched players than geographical location. But geographical location would then top other lesser factors.

Hopefully it works out that there's enough suitably skilled players to be matched up with that share the same geography.

Then again, I'd rather the world be connected via zero latency FTL pipes.

Edit: Three instant replies, Easy? You sure stir folks up enough with your valid points to make 'em hit that reply button. :lol

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
They can improve their game's networking. H2 to H3 was a pretty considerable jump in my experience and they've said they've reduced the networking stress or something by 40% for whatever that's worth. So even if you're not getting matched up with other European hosts (hard to say now just how well MM filter by region) the experience should be undoubtedly better. Maybe not eliminating the need to fudge results but certainly reducing them. Maybe just making the "simultaneous" duration a little shorter so not so many CQC fights end with each person punching the other person out.

catfish said:
Hoping to god for regional options in this.
Don't have time to fish for anything official but I'm almost 100% certain they've confirmed this for MM.

Dani said:
I don't think the regional part of matchmaking will top the TrueSkill system. Most likely you'll be matched up with more consideration given to finding evenly matched players than geographical location. But geographical location would then top other lesser factors.

Hopefully it works out that there's enough suitably skilled players to be matched up with that share the same geography.
I'm hoping that, with 4 gametype options to vote for and no more social/ranked division, there will be far less playlists. With less playlists the playerbase won't be thinned out as much so finding similarly ranked players won't be the issue it is in Halo 3 and MM will have the luxury of pitting players in the same region against one another. We'll see, maybe they could make it an option for custom games to turn simultaneous beatdowns off?
Hint hint.

Ten-Song

EazyB said:
I'm hoping that, with 4 gametype options to vote for and no more social/ranked division, there will be far less playlists. With less playlists the playerbase won't be thinned out as much so finding similarly ranked players won't be the issue it is in Halo 3 and MM will have the luxury of pitting players in the same region against one another.

Yeah, that's actually something that bugs me quite a bit about Halo 3. Everything is so sparsely laid out that getting through match making is kind of annoying at times. Especially with ranked and social being split up the way they are.

Though, the way Bungie implements DLC is a far greater crime I'd say. Really would like for them to rip off Infinity Ward this time around and just lock maps in a play list out to those that don't have it, rather than forcing people without the DLC to completely miss out on a style of gameplay they might enjoy.

Natakuu

Banned
I'm really hoping that for forge/custom games they don't limit people too much on what they can do. For instance, in Halo 3 there were plenty of custom maps that involved 'breaking' the barriers to create. I'm hoping in Reach, due to their new countdown system, they allow you to turn that feature off. I also think it'd be kinda cool if they let you define places that were and were not allowed to be in (so for instance you could define a portion of the map outside of the typical playing field as fair game but still have the timer on for the rest of it). Won't be the end of the world if they don't seeing as how I don't make maps myself, just think they'd be nice features for those that do make awesome maps so plebeians can get more out of their Halo experience:lol

Brainboy

Shake Appeal said:
No matter what they do with Matchmaking, the realities of Halo's player population mean I will be connecting to an American host more often than not in Reach, and most every American player in the game will have a (small but not inconsiderable) advantage over me. I appreciate I harp on about this, but it's probably my biggest bugbear when playing these games.

Although it's not like Halo is particularly bad in this regard; in fact, it's better than many other titles (I remember Gears of War didn't have client-side hit detection, and was effectively unplayable except against friends). It's also clear Bungie are aware of the variability in people's network experience, and very comforting to hear Timmins and others talk about how they've tried to address or alleviate some of the issues that arise through Matchmaking.

I remember you consistently had yellow bars in Halo 2.

Good times. :)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I wonder what form Urk's update later tonight will take. There's already been a ton covered in the past few previous BWU's and I'd imagine it'd be pointless to copy and paste the Beta FAQ which should be going up soon.

Then again, many of the Reach features across many of the sites had errors in them, ranging from slight inaccuracies to glaring omissions and complete misinterpretations. So I suppose there'll be room to clear some things up.

Dani said:
I wonder what form Urk's update later tonight will take. There's already been a ton covered in the past few previous BWU's and I'd imagine it'd be pointless to copy and paste the Beta FAQ which should be going up soon.

Then again, many of the Reach features across many of the sites had errors in them, ranging from slight inaccuracies to glaring omissions and complete misinterpretations. So I suppose there'll be room to clear some things up.
Urk, I think, said he'll cover the button layouts in tonight's BWU.

Sai

Question about the game edition bonuses:

Does the Legendary Edition come with both the Limited Edition's Elite armor set, and the Spartan armor effect, or just the latter?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sai said:

Does the Legendary Edition come with both the Limited Edition's Elite armor set, and the Spartan armor effect, or just the latter?

I'm pretty sure it says it comes with all of the content of the Limited Edition, so you'll get both.

Sai said:

The LegE includes all the material that comes with the LE.

Apath

Truant said:

I'll play the campaign for a week. I'll play the multiplayer for years.

And I'll buy the Limited Edition Day 1, and the Legendary Day 365 when it drops down to $50.
WickedLaharl said:
i can't believe i'm considering buying the legendary just so i can have the spartan armor effect.

damn whomever came up with the idea to only include that in the legendary. damn them to hell!

i can't believe i'm considering buying the legendary just so i can have the spartan armor effect.

damn whomever came up with the idea to only include that in the legendary. damn them to hell!

Top Bottom