• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Shake Appeal said:
They had 3D "screenshots" for Halo 3 too, as I recall. They're just a series of regular screenshots stitched together into a .mov. I can't see it making the game, though I agree it would be nice.

I'd prefer to see proper camera options for Theater, to be honest. Filters, aperture, etc.
Yeah that's right, almost forgot about that. It was shots of the new armor holding the turret.

I will hopefully, HOPEFULLY, get all my study done in the next week leaving only time to refresh my memory on the day of the exam. I want to play Reach :p

I am itching to write that little song. Tis a pity I don't know how to record directly into my laptop so looks like it'll be done with either the laptop mic or my mp3 player.

I am curious to see how changes will be implmented on the fly during the beta. Do they mean stuff like weapon spawns and playlist settings or perhaps something a bit larger?

Kapura

Banned
Hydranockz said:
I will hopefully, HOPEFULLY, get all my study done in the next week leaving only time to refresh my memory on the day of the exam. I want to play Reach :p

I am itching to write that little song. Tis a pity I don't know how to record directly into my laptop so looks like it'll be done with either the laptop mic or my mp3 player.

I am curious to see how changes will be implmented on the fly during the beta. Do they mean stuff like weapon spawns and playlist settings or perhaps something a bit larger?
They've said that not every playlist will be available day one, so at least that will change

Popeck

Shake Appeal said:
Didn't one of the journalists (Popeck?) mention that you could save films through the 'start' menu, even while sitting waiting for a match to be found? You bring up the menu, go into 'history' or something and can save it there, without having to switch to a Theater lobby?

I could be mistaken.

That is correct. You can do this via the file browser, even while waiting for the next game. I damn sure almost missed a few votes fooling in the menus. :p

Also, I didn't see any simulteanous beatdowns, but they might still be in, of course.

While thinking about Reach at work earlier today (I do this a lot), I realized that Armour Lock is going to be a tank driver's worst nightmare.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
From watching the videos I'm more inclined to think that the first one is right. Evade goes super far and looks really good.

Yeah the recharge time is also really low. In the ViDoc there were two elites going at it in swordbase and the first person elite used evade twice in a short periodof time.

Popeck said:
That is correct. You can do this via the file browser, even while waiting for the next game. I damn sure almost missed a few votes fooling in the menus. :p

Also, I didn't see any simulteanous beatdowns, but they might still be in, of course.
Well you should both be no shield if you want a simulteanous beatdown, so the chances are somewhat small since most then go for the headshot.

JaggedSac

dilatedmuscle said:
Yeah the recharge time is also really low. In the ViDoc there were two elites going at it in swordbase and the first person elite used evade twice in a short periodof time.

You can evade twice before it needs to recharge.

dilatedmuscle said:

If you look closer you can see that you are able to immediately evade twice when it is fully charged. Only half the charge goes down per evasion.

edit: beat

Magni

FFChris said:
I have an BWU question, maybe you guys know the answer to this already,

In the post game stats, will the Halo 2 matrix of whos killed who make a reappearence? It annoys me that I can't see the complete breakdown of kills at the end of a match.

I'd love to see "Shots fired/shots hit/aim %" come back as well.

^^ thanks for the clarifications...

I found this gif

reach-jetpack-o.gif

Someone needs to make a gif of when luke creates a kamehameha DBZ style lol and if they can animate some power building up in his hands.

EDIT: im talking about 5:57

Chinner

Banned
dilatedmuscle said:
^^ thanks for the clarifications...

I found this gif

reach-jetpack-o.gif

Someone needs to make a gif of when luke creates a kamehameha DBZ style lol and if they can animate some power building up in his hands.
bungie trying to be GAMER DUDEZ was pretty embarrassing. Only thing that ruined the vidoc for me.

StUnNeR H2K

MagniHarvald said:
I'd love to see "Shots fired/shots hit/aim %" come back as well.

This would be awesome to see again... They keep track of kills with weapons, but also tracking hit % with weapons would be cool too. I'm a stats freak so any more stat addition to the game or bungie.net is huge plus in my book.

Pete Rock

Very cool that they mentioned Race as an included social gametype this early, having it implemented in that context should provide more robust support and options for different custom games :D

With regards to jetpacks, will the ragdolls do the out of control throttle routine like the downed Brutes on Tsalvo Highway? That would be absolutely hysterical over Live, watching an enemy carcass get dragged around after taking a headshot midair :lol

Magni

StUnNeR H2K said:
This would be awesome to see again... They keep track of kills with weapons, but also tracking hit % with weapons would be cool too. I'm a stats freak so any more stat addition to the game or bungie.net is huge plus in my book.

Hit percentage / Headshot percentage with the headshot capable weapons would be sweet (SR, BR, DMR, NR, PR and Pistol, am I missing any?).

Chinner said:
bungie trying to be GAMER DUDEZ was pretty embarrassing. Only thing that ruined the vidoc for me.

They are gamer dudez. You cant be some cold emotionless dev and make something as amazing as Halo. That said they were REALY funny with theyre over the top actions. :lol

EDIT: I guess even Spartans cant run backwards Im interested in seeing how the backwards Elite roll looks from 3rd person.

VVVVV

bobs99 ... said:
waitaminute...

Staring at your avatar (it's mesmerizing), it doesn't look like the blue guy has a jet pack (youtube vid confirms it). Is this the air-to-ground assassination that the Bungie guys were talking about?

I noticed that there were quite a few profanities in that vidoc. That was part of the intended humour I suppose, but what was with the bleeping out that didn't really bleep out the swearing?

GhaleonEB said:
I want to know if you can sprint in any direction other than forward.

*backpedals like hell*

I guess even Spartans cant run backwards. Im interested in seeing how the backwards Elite roll looks from 3rd person.

Squidhands I spend faaaar too much time looking at the thing and I was thinking the same thing, however as far as I can tell theres no other red dude above him to have pulled him up, maybe he was in a Banshee which blew up?

Maybe someone else has a better answer, for now im going to carry on staring at it for a bit longer :lol

Magni

Bungieware said:
I noticed that there were quite a few profanities in that vidoc. That was part of the intended humour I suppose, but what was with the bleeping out that didn't really bleep out the swearing?

Fuck was bleeped out, shit wasn't, it depends on the word.

Which brings me to:

Will there still fucking be fucking censure over fucking file names? Heck, even "Neutral Assault would get censured in Halo 3. It's an M rated game ffs, it's not like we never hear those kinds of words on Live either.

JaggedSac

dread9 said:
Halo 3 looked like poop on my hdtv, will this game have the same resolution? I am really amped for this game btw...

The resolution has not been confirmed. Could still be the same as Halo 3. But the IQ of the game should be enhanced. Models and textures have been given noticeable upgrades.

bobs99 ... said:
I guess even Spartans cant run backwards. Im interested in seeing how the backwards Elite roll looks from 3rd person.

Squidhands I spend faaaar too much time looking at the thing and I was thinking the same thing, however as far as I can tell theres no other red dude above him to have pulled him up, maybe he was in a Banshee which blew up?

Maybe someone else has a better answer, for now im going to carry on staring at it for a bit longer :lol
I'm thinking this is the second half of the assassination, much like the one in the beginning of the multiplayer vidoc. Which, to me, would mean that you pick the guy up off the ground and assassinate him in midair. I think I'm a little moist...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
about those retail packages...

i've seen people say they want legendary, but dont care about the statue, would anyone be willing to sell theres? maybe $30 shipped? personally, the statue is the only thing i want that isnt in the plain old vanilla package. i dont want a halo diary/bible. i dont want flaming helmets. i dont want a bigger game case. i just want that statue.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Luke thought you were bros but you were just dudes, bro.
I thought Luke thought we were plebeians?
GhaleonEB said:
I want to know if you can sprint in any direction other than forward.

*backpedals like hell*
Conversely, one can also wonder if Elites can dodge backwards.

Dax01 said:
I thought Luke thought we were plebeians?

Conversely, one can also wonder if Elites can dodge backwards.
You mean can they roll backwards?

I am pretty sure this is shown in the vidoc...

Finding the time stamp right now

3:31 in the vidoc, the elite is definitely rolling backwards... twice

Popeck

Demoncarnotaur said:
The real question is what happens if you evade in mid-air.

Probably the same thing as with armor lock. Nothing! At least I tried activating armor lock mid-air and landing like Iron Man.

Popeck said:
Probably the same thing as with armor lock. Nothing!

=( Armor lock does nothing? There goes that image of jumping off of a high structure and landing on somebody and crushing them.

EDIT:
Popeck said:
Probably the same thing as with armor lock. Nothing! At least I tried activating armor lock mid-air and landing like Iron Man.
Yup, thats what I was thinking. Way to sneak that in afterwards. :lol

Any other little details you picked up on while playing that may be cool?

Top Bottom