• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Iknos

My 2 week old complaints about the "lack of colors" was off base it is looking great.

A month ago a fellow poster said that they should make the death animations and flying death animations better. They are much better.

Better than most other games it could be said.

Graphics look great too save for the possibility of jaggies might kill it all in the end like Halo 3.

Most importantly the game looks incredibly fun.

Halo = good ol' fashioned fun

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Iknos said:
My 2 week old complaints about the "lack of colors" was off base it is looking great.

A month ago a fellow poster said that they should make the death animations and flying death animations better. They are much better.

Better than most other games it could be said.

Graphics look great too save for the possibility of jaggies might kill it all in the end like Halo 3.

Most importantly the game looks incredibly fun.

Halo = good ol' fashioned fun

They'll also have time afterwards to polish things more and we know they're keeping much content back for the final release.

The last Vidoc is just beautiful, I could spend hours just thinking about the lovely interacting particles and lighting.

About jaggies: some are visibile in the ViDoc in hd if you look closely.

We know Bungie doesn't like to add to much effects/filters in MP to favour visibility.

That said, the improvements over Halo 3 are simply staggering.

New models and animations really push the visual quality in an incredible way.

Just look at that gif with the elite assassination.

Can't preorder my Legendary Edition on Amazonco.uk until I move house in a months time, need to give an address? Or can this be changed afterwards?

Edit: Reading HBO in Irish is surreal.

Zeouterlimits said:
Can't preorder my Legendary Edition on Amazonco.uk until I move house in a months time, need to give an address? Or can this be changed afterwards?

i've had games preordered and had to change the address because i was out of town without issue.

EazyB said:
I'm hoping that, with 4 gametype options to vote for and no more social/ranked division, there will be far less playlists. With less playlists the playerbase won't be thinned out as much so finding similarly ranked players won't be the issue it is in Halo 3 and MM will have the luxury of pitting players in the same region against one another.
This is my hope too. Fewer playlists with smarter matchmaking is definitely the way to go.

Because there's been such a relentless push of new information week after week I'd sort of forgotten about things we heard about months ago like social filters for matchmaking, hidden but now properly functioning TrueSkill, proper voting system without a map preload, etc. There really are so many minor improvements to look forward to that my list of complaints has been whittled down to a few small things (and a single, big, Spartan-laser-shaped one).

Jex

Sounds like, once again, Bungie are at the cutting edge of multi-player design and matchmaking. Why can't other companies get it right like they do? I guess it's a combination of experience, time, staff and money. Still it's odd that few games even come close.

They aren't just sitting on their laurels either - this is all new stuff. Kind of like how Blizzard are working out matchmaking for Starcraft 2.

Ten-Song

Jexhius said:
Sounds like, once again, Bungie are at the cutting edge of multi-player design and matchmaking. Why can't other companies get it right like they do? I guess it's a combination of experience, time, staff and money. Still it's odd that few games even come close.

Might have something to do with the fact that the vast majority of games that have multiplayer shoehorn it in just for the sake of having that bullet point on the back of the box. For example, BioShock 2.

Hey guys, i dont know whether to get the Legendary Edition through Amazon or at a Retailer through a midnight event. I live in California, does anybody have experience with delivery regarding launch dates in California? What i mean to say is, will i receive the game on launch day if i order through Amazon?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I have some questions for Urk for the BWU (if it's not too late or whatever).

• Now that the custom content limit has been raised, can you address whether or not the amount of saved items from your history will be increased? For the Beta, it'll be films. In Halo 3 the last few games you played were saved automatically, but this number was quite limited. Has this number increased?
  • Additionally, will there be a fix to address the saved nature of these games? I mean, when you swapped out game discs you would lose all you previous history content, so if you hadn't saved them beforehand they were lost. Has this been addressed?
  • In the joining queues, when you attempt to join a party already in a match, does the system know when the party is full? Say three folks are in a party and there's room for two more, and I join the queue with one other player in my party to join them when they have finished. Will the system let other people attempting to join the queue for the same party know that the queue has reached it's party limit? (Just pulling out random numbers as an example).
  • Will there be a post game option that allows you to save the film of the match just played like the Halo 3 beta? Would be nice to be able to save films from the MM lobby. If not, is there any chance such a feature may or may not make it to the final game?

Dani said:
I have some questions for Urk for the BWU (if it's not too late or whatever).

• Now that the custom content limit has been raised, can you address whether or not the amount of saved items from your history will be increase? For the Beta, it'll be films. In Halo 3 the last few games you played were saved automatically, but this number was quite limited. Has this number increased?
  • Additionally, will there be a fix to address the saved nature of these games? I mean, when you swapped out game discs you would lose all you previous history content, so if you hadn't saved them beforehand they were lost. Has this been addressed?
  • In the joining queue, when you attempt to join a party already in a match, does the system know when the party is full? Say three folks are in a party and there's room for two more, and I join the queue with one other player in my party to join them when they have finished. Will the system let other people attempting to join the queue for the same party know that the queue has reached it's party limit? (Just pulling out random numbers as an example).
  • Will there be a post game option that allows you to save the film of the match just played like the Halo 3 beta? Would be nice to be able to save films from the MM lobby. If not, is there any chance such a feature may or may not make it to the final game?

Damned fine questions....ESPECIALLY the last one. :)

Didn't one of the journalists (Popeck?) mention that you could save films through the 'start' menu, even while sitting waiting for a match to be found? You bring up the menu, go into 'history' or something and can save it there, without having to switch to a Theater lobby?

I could be mistaken.

Natakuu

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Didn't one of the journalists (Popeck?) mention that you could save films through the 'start' menu, even while sitting waiting for a match to be found? You bring up the menu, go into 'history' or something and can save it there, without having to switch to a Theater lobby?

I could be mistaken.
I remember this too.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:

I could be mistaken.

Nah, you're right. That's what he said.

FFChris

I have an BWU question, maybe you guys know the answer to this already,

In the post game stats, will the Halo 2 matrix of whos killed who make a reappearence? It annoys me that I can't see the complete breakdown of kills at the end of a match.

Hey guys..I just got my free copy of ODST from that microsoft college giveaway from a couple months ago. Of course, I just ordered a copy from gamestop yesterday to make sure I could play the beta day 1...I'm still happy though, getting free games is sweet.

EazyB

Banned
I wanna see what the elites look like with their jetpacks. We've also never seen the elite armor lock or animation.

Ssparks, I'll have a submission in due time :p I have a fairly solid idea in my mind... bar lyrics and what not. What might I use to chop bits of audio from a podcast or video?

Ten-Song

EazyB said:
I wanna see what the elites look like with their jetpacks. We've also never seen the elite armor lock or animation.

I'd imagine they'd look something like the jetpacks from Halo 2. In which case that would dictate that the flight helmet permutation is required or else the game sucks and is bad.

EazyB

Banned
Ten-Song said:
I'd imagine they'd look something like the jetpacks from Halo 2. In which case that would dictate that the flight helmet permutation is required or else the game sucks and is bad.
Players see this descend upon them and they'll fucking toss their sticks and run as far from their TV as they can.

Be afraid!

413N4MQFHBL._SS500_.jpg

EazyB said:

Elites don't have Armour Lock as an AA - at least it hasn't been seen or confirmed in the wild. As far as I know...

Spartans:

Sprint (spartan only)
Active Camo
Armour Lock (spartan only)
Jetpack

Elite:

Evade (elite only)
Active Camo
Jetpack

Correct me if I'm hilariously wrong.

Sai

I only recall Sprint being confirmed as a Spartan-exclusive AA...

Not that I'd complain of Armor Lock was too. Seems to suit them more. Having a handful of exclusive AA for them both would be interesting.

JaggedSac said:
The compression seemed pretty bad on the ViDoc on the marketplace. Anyone else notice this? Still looked pretty good though.
if it compress bad its 2 hide da jaggies??!!!!!!!
Sai said:
I can't wait until I first get to play an Elite and the little Spartans scampering about come to seem as puny, short-lived irritations that must surely fall before my cephalopodic might.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
JaggedSac said:
The compression seemed pretty bad on the ViDoc on the marketplace. Anyone else notice this? Still looked pretty good though.

Something was off, all the live action interviews looked fine, but the gameplay footage was really washed out.

Sikamikanico said:
Elites don't have Armour Lock as an AA - at least it hasn't been seen or confirmed in the wild. As far as I know...

Spartans:

Sprint (spartan only)
Active Camo
Armour Lock (spartan only)
Jetpack

Elite:

Evade (elite only)
Active Camo
Jetpack

Correct me if I'm hilariously wrong.

I cant remember where but I think Bungie said Elites have everything spartans do except sprint (they also have roll which spartans dont).

Thanks for the link to the audio extracter VV

Sai said:

Not that I'd complain of Armor Lock was too. Seems to suit them more. Having a handful of exclusive AA for them both would be interesting.
You are correct. Elites can move much faster than the Spartans, so sprint for them would be a little too much. I do remember hearing that Sprint was the only AA confined to the Spartans, though. If Elites do have Armor Lock, I can't wait to see what it looks like.

EazyB said:

I'm pretty sure its in one of the spike tv interviews going on behind the developer's head when he's discussing the game. I'll look later to see where is and let ya know.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
I'm pretty sure its in one of the spike tv interviews going on behind the developer's head when he's discussing the game. I'll look later to see where is and let ya know.
The elite using a jetpack? Indeed. You see the jetpack gloriously being feathered in a pulsing manner ^^

Falagard

http://blogs.todayonline.com/techtalk/2010/04/hands-on-with-halo-reach-multiplayer-beta/

Evade (Elites only) – think of it as a much better version of Sprint, except you can only use it every so often. The distance covered in this duck-and-roll manoeuvre is roughly three times the height of the Elite. With a full armour ability bar, you can use Evade twice, back to back. We imagine that Bungie might tweak this ability for the final version, as right now, it appears to be a little over-powered.

http://videogames.virginmedia.com/xbox360/halo_reach/preview-2308-2.html

As you'd expect, there are concerns around balance. Does the Elite's tougher skin make it better than the Spartan? Is Evade better than Sprint? At the moment it's hard to tell, although the consensus among journalists is that Evade doesn't feel particularly useful. Only time, and the multiplayer beta, will tell.

Wut?

NJ Shlice

I can see Sprint being used more than Evade, but Evade looks far from useless. In those videos the move is quick and far, easily getting you out of harms way of a shotgun or grenade. I like it.

About this gif... There is no feathering of the jetpack, yet the user is not going any higher? What gives?

NJ Shlice said:
I can see Sprint being used more than Evade, but Evade looks far from useless. In those videos the move is quick and far, easily getting you out of harms way of a shotgun or grenade. I like it.

About this gif... There is no feathering of the jetpack, yet the user is not going any higher? What gives?
I would guess that when you use the jetpack along with a jump you will go flying, that would mean when the jetpack is on it's not shooting you to the moon instantly. The way I see it if you are in a gunfight and panic holding down both the trigger and jetpack button you won't go flying off and crash :lol

Falagard said:
Hmm.
Might have been a "If you know how to use it properly it's awesome, if you don't it's least effective". Barrier of entry etc.

Different groups/journo circles between Virgin & Today? Would prefer to hear what Parish or Shoemaker thought of evade.

Wizman23

Banned
So bungie guys any chance you can tell us in the update today exactly when the beta is going up for download on the 3rd? I requested off work for that Monday, but if the rumor is true that its not going up until afternoon Eastern time I'll just go to work and take off Tuesday instead.

Wizman23 said:
So bungie guys any chance you can tell us in the update today exactly when the beta is going up for download on the 3rd? I requested off work for that Monday, but if the rumor is true that its not going up until afternoon Eastern time I'll just go to work and take off Tuesday instead.
It was ManCannon/Brian Jarrard from Bungie who tweeted
bungietweets said:
@bigbags911 the beta is targeted to turn on the mid-morning of May 3rd (PST).
So it's pretty much confirmed that's the case.
CrazedArabMan said:
So who else can't stop watching the vidoc? I woke up and had to watch it today. :lol
I keep wanting to but stopping myself. I will finish my work first!

CrazedArabMan said:
So who else can't stop watching the vidoc? I woke up and had to watch it today. :lol
I watched it about a dozen times yesterday here at work, 4 or 5 more times last night at home, and I've watched it twice already today on my phone. :lol

Friend of mine brought this up in another forum, and it sounded so awesome that I thought I'd bring it up here for speculation:

JoeSki73 said:
We've seen 2 360 degree screenshots so far.

Anyone think we'll be able to take 360 degree screenshots in the final release of Reach? ...Seems possible.
I would loooooove to see this happen. I'd assume you'd be charged render minutes just like a film clip.

They had 3D "screenshots" for Halo 3 too, as I recall. They're just a series of regular screenshots stitched together into a .mov. I can't see it making the game, though I agree it would be nice.

I'd prefer to see proper camera options for Theater, to be honest. Filters, aperture, etc.

S1kkZ

Shake Appeal said:
They had 3D "screenshots" for Halo 3 too, as I recall. They're just a series of regular screenshots stitched together into a .mov. I can't see it making the game, though I agree it would be nice.

I'd prefer to see proper camera options for Theater, to be honest. Filters, aperture, etc.
this! i love the photo mode in pgr4 and wipeout hd. if you could cut videos and add effects/filters on your 360, that would be awesome.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
How often do you think we will see the scenario of a bunch of dudes battling it out or just runnign into each other and then ALL activating armour lock?

I predict many screenshots of synchronized crouch posing coming up.

Top Bottom