• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Devin Olsen said:
You mean can they roll backwards?

I am pretty sure this is shown in the vidoc...

Finding the time stamp right now

3:31 in the vidoc, the elite is definitely rolling backwards... twice
Oh yeah. Well, I guess that solves that.

Demoncarnotaur said:
The real question is what happens if you evade in mid-air.
16gzssn.gif

Pappasman

Mr. B Natural said:
Not sure what it means either, but I agree somehow. That vidoc made me feel embarrassed to be a gamer.
Seriously? I thought it was really funny. It's a video for gamers by gamers. There's not much to be embarrassed about.

Mr. B Natural said:
Not sure what it means either, but I agree somehow. That vidoc made me feel embarrassed to be a gamer.

Frankly, although it was silly and I wouldn't show it to my non-gamer friends, I'm glad Bungie's so enthusiastic about the game- it always weirds me out when developers talk about their game like they are talking about a decent-but-not-amazing hamburger.

Pappasman said:
Seriously? I thought it was really funny. It's a video for gamers by gamers. There's not much to be embarrassed about.

They're acting (well, a little xD).

It's like parents trying to be cool, but they're doing it on purpose, so it's funny and not embarassing.

IT'S AAAWESOME. :lol

EDIT: above all of this, they're really excited for the game. Can't blame them xD

Pappasman said:

Im not going to lie, as a gamer I loved it but I just couldnt bring myself to send the link to people that play Halo but dont game much. As much as the vidoc works really well at getting me excited for the game im going to buy it anyway. Bungie needs to tone down on the 'geek' if they want to use the vidocs to advertise the game.

As much as I see the vidocs as a cool treat for us fans, its probably meant as more of a marketing tool. I also know the marketing guru's know better than me, but im still a little knocked by the decisions behind the Legendary edition of Reach.

Chrange

Banned
I think we should all put bucket hats on our avatars to recognize Tyson's continued (some would say ridiculous) dedication to the fashion. :lol

big ander

Shake Appeal said:
I think it should be obvious that Luke was hamming it up, and Timmins is just, well, Timmins. He's like a golden retriever who writes netcode.
So Clemens+Golden Retriever=
cinema.airbud.box.jpg

Chrange said:
I think we should all put bucket hats on our avatars to recognize Tyson's continued (some would say ridiculous) dedication to the fashion. :lol
:lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Shake Appeal said:
I think it should be obvious that Luke was hamming it up, and Timmins is just, well, Timmins. He's like a golden retriever who writes netcode.

luke was the only one i'd say was over the top (though i enjoyed it). everyone else was how they have always seemed to be, from podcasts, or other interviews. hell, even luke wasnt all that different from his persona in the 1up show and other places we've seen him.

i did miss urk though. where is he in all of this? maybe the next vidoc will have him featured throughout and be subtitled "butthole fish hooking"?

Popeck

Shake Appeal said:

Bungle hires dogs? Hire Lassie!

feel

They should go back to a more serious tone in the next one. People who are not familiar with the Bungie crew's individual personalities (the majority of the viewers) and didn't know they were doing it on purpose, were very annoyed by it, or at least most of the casual people I linked it to on msn were.

ManCannon

bobs99 ... said:
As much as I see the vidocs as a cool treat for us fans, its probably meant as more of a marketing tool. I also know the marketing guru's know better than me, but im still a little knocked by the decisions behind the Legendary edition of Reach.

The Vidocs actually are intended as something for the fans. They are definitely more insider than mainstream and that's by design. That said, in the past few months they've definitely taken on a much larger life, getting picked up much broader than they used to. And of course Jim keeps pushing the envelope in terms of production value and polish. Even so, for us, it is still meant as a chance for our team to pull back the curtain and talk to our fans. And honestly, that's one of the defining aspects of Bungie- people here genuinely do have that much fun working on, talking about and playing the games they build.

You'll see more traditional marketing efforts soon enough - things specifically aimed at the mainstream. The MP trailer was more along that lines and there's this thing on the horizon that fits that bill as well.

What decisions are you knocked by regarding the Legendary Edition? The lack of a Halo 2 style bonus disc? We got to work very closely with MGS on the concepts, the visual design, the packaging, the journal contents and the statue. Those aspects turned out pretty awesome - the design and packaging is pretty stunning, IMO. Financial models and COGs and stuff like that, stuff that sets the initial framework we needed to work within, isn't within our area of expertise. Once those parameters were set then it was about collaborating with MGS to come up with the cool content to fill it up.

Chinner

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
They are gamer dudez. You cant be some cold emotionless dev and make something as amazing as Halo. That said they were REALY funny with theyre over the top actions. :lol
might be really funny if youre twelve years old

"oh man its so good to own people cause im so ownage and then i say something funny"
you: "LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

just stupid pandering to appeal to mw audience.

I don't want to be a jerk, but I guess people complain about the LE because of its price.

I would like to have a commentary too, but having seen the content of the LE and the quality of the action figure, I can't really find something to complain about.

It's huge (and beautiful, and alien).

Kapura

Banned
Letters said:
They should go back to a more serious tone in the next one. People who are not familiar with the Bungie crew's individual personalities (the majority of the viewers) and didn't know they were doing it on purpose, were very annoyed by it, or at least most of the casual people I linked it to on msn were.
A lit if lukems' persinality came out, especially when he was talking about the headshot weapons. I can see how it would be less funny if you hadn't followed the podcasts, and I DO hope that at least some of the next vidocs are for serious to the subject. But the subject of this one was "The beta kick ass" and I think they conveyed that. But if there's another vidoc on, say, AI
pleasepleaseplease
, less sound effects would be necessary.

Magni

ManCannon said:
The Vidocs actually are intended as something for the fans. They are definitely more insider than mainstream and that's by design. That said, in the past few months they've definitely taken on a much larger life, getting picked up much broader than they used to. And of course Jim keeps pushing the envelope in terms of production value and polish. Even so, for us, it is still meant as a chance for our team to pull back the curtain and talk to our fans. And honestly, that's one of the defining aspects of Bungie- people here genuinely do have that much fun working on, talking about and playing the games they build.

You'll see more traditional marketing efforts soon enough - things specifically aimed at the mainstream. The MP trailer was more along that lines and there's this thing on the horizon that fits that bill as well.

What decisions are you knocked by regarding the Legendary Edition? The lack of a Halo 2 style bonus disc? We got to work very closely with MGS on the concepts, the visual design, the packaging, the journal contents and the statue. Those aspects turned out pretty awesome - the design and packaging is pretty stunning, IMO. Financial models and COGs and stuff like that, stuff that sets the initial framework we needed to work within, isn't within our area of expertise. Once those parameters were set then it was about collaborating with MGS to come up with the cool content to fill it up.

Making-of and/or soundtrack is what I (and many others I think) were expecting. Some kind of Dev-commentary à la Valve would be [Luke voice]awesome![/Luke voice]

feel

ManCannon said:
What decisions are you knocked by regarding the Legendary Edition? The lack of a Halo 2 style bonus disc?
Yeah, real bummer, any chance you guys would consider at least putting up that kind of behind the scenes stuff on Bnet after launch?
edit- nevermind, answered below :)

Spasm said:
So good to have an actual flag back :)

ManCannon said:

I guess the "Making of's" and other such short documentaries were more valued than you might think. I for one really enjoyed them.

ManCannon

Sikamikanico said:
I guess the "Making of's" and other such short documentaries were more valued than you might think. I for one really enjoyed them.

None of us are saying that documentaries and commentarires aren't valued. We know people dig them and we enjoy that content in other games too. It's part of the reason we're doing more VIDOC and insider stuff before launch. As to why it's not specifically included in the SKU, there are reasons, but they aren't "nobody would want this stuff." That said, many of us would still love to release this type of content post-launch anyways, even if it's not burned to a disc.

-Yeti said:
So, is anyone unfortunate enough to not have Xbox Live during the Beta?
If it was not for the free 1 month of live codes that got whored to hell and back I would have expired live sometime next month, I also did not own ODST until yesterday, the vidoc pushed me over the edge to buy it finally.

I personally would have been happy to watch youtube clips of the beta and then gone in fresh this winter.

ManCannon said:
None of us are saying thate documentaries and commentarires aren't valued. We know people dig them. It's part of the reason we're doing more VIDOC and insider stuff before launch. As to why it's not specifically included in the SKU, there are reasons, but they aren't "nobody would want this stuff." That said, many of us would still love to release this type of content post-launch anyways, even if it's not burned to a disc.

By "you" I didn't actually mean specifically Bungie - I was just talking(typing) out loud.

The VIDOCs are awesome, (as you can see by this seriously huge thread of happy fans) and it's great to hear a "making-of" post-launch is in the realms of possibility. :)

My Legendary pre-order is already in.

ManCannon said:
What decisions are you knocked by regarding the Legendary Edition? The lack of a Halo 2 style bonus disc?
More or less. Personally, I'd want to see/hear more behind the scenes stuff rather than have a statue (as cool as it is). I want to learn about stuff like this without having to wait nearly three years after the fact. I love learning about the authors of these maps, why they did what they did, and the evolution of their projects from start to finish. I want to see how the entire campaign was thought up and how it evolved over time to the finished product.

Basically I want the Lord of the Rings DVD treatment, Bungie style. I'd definitely shell out the big bucks for that, no question. As awesome as it looks, a statue isn't enough for me to spend that kind of money.

EDIT: Appreciate the answer above, ManCannon. :D

Luke in that vidoc really reminded me of the old 1up yours podcasts, with the braggadocio turned up to 11. I thought it was great.

Question sketch/urk, does Timmins talk with his hands like that in the office, or is that just reserved for vidocs?

ManCannon said:

Yeah I figured that the TV ad's and the like were aimed at the general public while the vidocs were aimed at the Halo 'gamerz'. That being said I didnt think the vidocs were PURELY for the fans, and I have to sort of be a lot more humble after reading that. I really do appreciate the level of effort required in making a vidoc, especially during making a game! The fact your doing that as a gift is amazing. However I would argue that theyre almost too insider and HaloGaf almost seems like an exclusive club, a few of the people on other sites like HBO who just dont know about this place seemed a bit surprised by it all.

This isnt me being argumentative because its almost awe inspiring how much effort you guys make with the community, the fact that you go out of your way to respond to individual responses on a forum is astounding. But the Legendary edition of the game frankly disappointed me on multiple levels, yeah the lack of a making of does disappoint me, but people here have speculated that will be provided through Waypoint on the disk itself which would be awesome.

My real disappointment was with the decision behind ‘locking’ content that’s on the disk, and charging people more for it. It’s a very good marketing decision, packaging a low cost product with a high cost product is going to get more sales. I personally can’t justify paying almost £40 more for virtual amour as I have no interest in the cool packaging or statue. I have always had a problem with the trend towards locking on disk content for pre-orders or exclusive editions, but the fact that the price increase is pretty huge blows me even more. Just on my own experiance this package seems to be avoiding what makes other LE's good and almost providing things only the most hardcore of Reach fan would want.

Im a hypocrite because im going for the limited edition version as the book looks amazing. Don’t get me wrong, there will be people out there who are interested in the statue, and the value for money will be a lot better for them. I haven’t really got into the meat of my problems but this post is huge and I don’t want to have a full blown tantrum especially as you guys are so awesome.

ManCannon

electricpirate said:
Question sketch/urk, does Timmins talk with his hands like that in the office, or is that just reserved for vidocs?

Timmins is animated and crazy in real life too. On the podcast his hands are flailing as well. That is not an act. :)

re: Legendary - Personally, I don't have any room in my house for a statue, but I can't deny it looks cool. Hopefully between the Ltd. and Leg. people can find what works best for them. I will say that for hardcore fans, the journal turned out way more awesome than I even thought it would. The content, the craftsmanship... really top notch stuff.

With Reach being our last Halo game, I know we'll have a desire to close this chapter and reflect on it all so I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be some degree of post-launch content produced by us.

re: the in-game unlocks - I will tell you that this is a very polarizing subject within our own team. There's no denying the compelling arguments and data from the marketing and retail folks but still, it does feel "dirty" on some levels. That said, it's just icing on the cake, I never heard a discussion that directly tied in-game flair to a retail price. It was actually added in, after much discussion, after the main components were already locked.

I don't think the Vidoc was even aimed at "gamerz", or the MW2 crowd like some people said. I find it strange that people could watch it and not realize that Luke is just having fun. Even if I hadn't heard Luke talking for hours and hours on podcasts and 1up Shows over the years, I still can't picture myself taking his performance in that video seriously. You'd have to be a very literal, humour-deficient person to be bothered by it.

big ander

Chinner said:
might be really funny if youre twelve years old

"oh man its so good to own people cause im so ownage and then i say something funny"
you: "LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

just stupid pandering to appeal to mw audience.
Wait...it's childish to enjoy winning in Halo?

I'm conufused. Most of the talk in the video was like "I have fun using this weapon, I do this with it, it's awesome." That's how you talk about MP. Sure, it was ridiculous, but that's the point.

And I trust Mancannon that there will be plenty of behind the scenes stuff. It still makes my choice between LE and Legendary a little difficult.

Shake Appeal said:
I don't think the Vidoc was even aimed at "gamerz", or the MW2 crowd like some people said. I find it strange that people could watch it and not realize that Luke is just having fun. Even if I hadn't heard Luke talking for hours and hours on podcasts and 1up Shows over the years, I still can't picture myself taking his performance in that video seriously. You'd have to be a very literal, humour-deficient person to be bothered by it.

I meant that in a very affectionate way, those Vidocs really are aimed at the hardcore Halo gamers which is awesome from that viewpoint. Now that I know those vidocs really are meant as gifts the performances are awesome.

To most people a game vidoc would seem like a serious advertisement, and without context Luke would just look weird :lol

ManCannon said:
Well I was hoping for more stuff like what was found in the Halo 3 extras. Stuff like a tour of Bungie studios, the "How-to Guide" for connecting to Xbox Live, and, most importantly to me, commentaries on the cutscenes of Halo 1 and 2. I would like something like that for Halo 3 and ODST.

ManCannon said:
With Reach being our last Halo game, I know we'll have a desire to close this chapter and reflect on it all so I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be some degree of post-launch content produced by us.
Well that's good to hear.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
ManCannon said:
Timmins is animated and crazy in real life too. On the podcast his hands are flailing as well. That is not an act. :)

:lol So happy to hear he is like that in the office, I talk with my hands constantly...even when on the phone.

Don't know if it has been asked yet
this thread moves to fast
but you mentioned that Race, the mongoose, and the "purple" level are not in the beta but did you confirm if Team Crazy King is or not? Saw it in the vidoc and got excited for some mindless fun. :D

ManCannon said:
Personally, I don't have any room in my house for a statue, but I can't deny it looks cool.

I have no idea what I'm going to do. Both my girlfriend and I may be getting the legendary edition. No idea where we're gonna put the big statue in our apartment, let alone two.:lol

ManCannon

Dax01 said:
Stuff like a tour of Bungie studios.

Oh that's a certainty. We're moving into a swank new place later this year and it will mark the return of snickering-sketch to the cinematography and directorial seat for a low-fi walkabout.

big ander

If I get the Legendary, I might give the statue away/auction it off for charity through eBay. Cause I have no idea what I'll do with it otherwise.

So, I have an extra XBL 1 month code that I got from MS for having them repair my 360. If there is anyone who won't have XBL at the time of the Beta, i'd be more than happy to give you the code. If you want it, just PM me.

ManCannon said:
Oh that's a certainty. We're moving into a swank new place later this year and it will mark the return of snickering-sketch to the cinematography and directorial seat for a low-fi walkabout.
Yes! Can't wait to see what the new place looks like.

ManCannon said:

re: Legendary - Personally, I don't have any room in my house for a statue, but I can't deny it looks cool. Hopefully between the Ltd. and Leg. people can find what works best for them. I will say that for hardcore fans, the journal turned out way more awesome than I even thought it would. The content, the craftsmanship... really top notch stuff.

re: the in-game unlocks - I will tell you that this is a very polarizing subject within our own team. There's no denying the compelling arguments and data from the marketing and retail folks but still, it does feel "dirty" on some levels. That said, it's just icing on the cake, I never heard a discussion that directly tied in-game flair to a retail price. It was actually added in, after much discussion, after the main components were already locked.

Thanks for the answer, and ive found my middle ground with the Limited edition, im more than willing to pay extra for that awesome looking booklet.

As for the in game unlocks its sort of nice hearing it wasnt something that we could have all had till the marketing guys decided to lock it away, it does seem less 'dirty' when looking at it from that aspect.

So thanks for the response! I probably come across as the worst fan ever - but I really do love everything you guys do, I just tend to nit pick a lot.
Sorry!

ManCannon

bobs99 ... said:
As for the in game unlocks its sort of nice hearing it wasnt something that we could have all had till the marketing guys decided to lock it away, it does seem less 'dirty' when looking at it from that aspect.

So thanks for the response!

One last point I forgot to make - once this path was set in motion and it was certain that there would need to be some in-game items for the SKUs, the team did make sure that ADDITIONAL INCREMENTAL content was created rather than pulling stuff out of the pool that was already meant for everyone to enjoy. Small semantic detail but it made it a little easier to swallow.

Damn all this posting and I haven't scooped Urk's update yet...

Top Bottom