• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Zomo

bobs99 ... said:
Thanks for the answer, and ive found my middle ground with the Limited edition, im more than willing to pay extra for that awesome looking booklet.

As for the in game unlocks its sort of nice hearing it wasnt something that we could have all had till the marketing guys decided to lock it away, it does seem less 'dirty' when looking at it from that aspect.

So thanks for the response! I probably come across as the worst fan ever - but I really do love everything you guys do, I just tend to nit pick a lot.
Sorry!
I generally just get the biggest edition because I'm a sucker for extra things. No doubt the extras just become dust collectors. I'm still getting legendary though.

Oh and I can't believe ya'll are giving them crap about them being animated. You know what's embarassing? Talking in hushed tones about how dramatic the single player campaign is. I'd take sniper rifle limpdick over that anyday.

Zomo

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh and I can't believe ya'll are giving them crap about them being animated. You know what's embarassing? Talking in hushed tones about how dramatic the single player campaign is. I'd take sniper rifle limpdick over that anyday.
Amen!

ManCannon said:
One last point I forgot to make - once this path was set in motion and it was certain that there would need to be some in-game items for the SKUs, the team did make sure that ADDITIONAL INCREMENTAL content was created rather than pulling stuff out of the pool that was already meant for everyone to enjoy. Small semantic detail but it made it a little easier to swallow.

Damn all this posting and I haven't scooped Urk's update yet...

That really is awesome to hear, as a fan I LOVE hearing stuff like that, because if your willing to make the extra effort when you dont even need to. The rest of the game will be amazing.

I really appreciate the effort you made to answer my post. Im glad I did mention it because every time I doubt you guys, you enlighten me. I probably come across as a pretty moany guy, the worse fan ever:lol - but I really do love everything you guys do, I just tend to nit pick a lot.
Sorry!

feel

Cool that there's gonna be a Bungie office tour video again, I love those.

How about a funny 5.1 speaker test app on waypoint? Those are a tradition now.

ManCannon said:
Better get on that, urk's avatar is waiting to be quoted.

kylej

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Talking in hushed tones about how dramatic the single player campaign is. I'd take sniper rifle limpdick over that anyday.

Each person should've recited their information in villanelle form.

villanelles are a creation of the devil :(

ManCannon said:
With Reach being our last Halo game, I know we'll have a desire to close this chapter and reflect on it all so I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be some degree of post-launch content produced by us.
You continue to make my day, sir. :D

EDIT: reposting this because ManCannon needs to change his avy.

mc_indeed.png

big ander

OuterWorldVoice said:
Did they literally give a Retriever child-actor hair? WTF.
:lol It's like a wig on par with Lost.
ManCannon said:
One last point I forgot to make - once this path was set in motion and it was certain that there would need to be some in-game items for the SKUs, the team did make sure that ADDITIONAL INCREMENTAL content was created rather than pulling stuff out of the pool that was already meant for everyone to enjoy. Small semantic detail but it made it a little easier to swallow.

Start scooping any time you want. :p

Chrange

Banned
Chrange said:
I think we should all put bucket hats on our avatars to recognize Tyson's continued (some would say ridiculous) dedication to the fashion. :lol
141p0yw.jpg

I don't know if I'm that dedicated to the cause. Sorry, Tyson....

electricpirate said:
Luke in that vidoc really reminded me of the old 1up yours podcasts, with the braggadocio turned up to 11. I thought it was great

Eh, that kind of turned me off this one, simply because Luke never came across as a particularly amazing player, so even the typical mild bragging - instead of the over the top ViDoc stuff - didn't do much for me.

For example, I remember a situation when Luke had fairly recently joined Bungie, and he did an interview with the first General in the H3 beta or something. The guy pointed out a legitimate problem with High Ground Slayer, something which basically all the decent players were aware of, and Luke made some sarcastic/ignorant comment in the editors notes, which basically showed that he (Luke) had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

Edit: Link to said interview

I thought Timmins was pretty funny, simply because he gets so excited about the work Bungie are doing. It was like watching a sugar-crazed kid go on about how he loves candy, and it was pretty endearing. It's great when people get that passionate about their work, and it's one reason why Bungie are such a fantastic studio IMHO.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Foxy Fox 39 said:
For Reach Im just waiting for weather. In multiplayer. Kinda like Lockout but more than a few sprinkles. I want a blizzard. Other than that I couldn't really ask for anything else.

After playing Uncharted 2 DM a lot, and finding that Train Wreck is my favorite level, I'm right there with you.

Oozer3993

-Yeti said:
So, I have an extra XBL 1 month code that I got from MS for having them repair my 360. If there is anyone who won't have XBL at the time of the Beta, i'd be more than happy to give you the code. If you want it, just PM me.

In that vein, I have a couple month codes lying around that I've been saving for anyone who needs Live during the Beta. If anyone needs Live for the Beta hit me up with a PM.

thetrin said:
After playing Uncharted 2 DM a lot, and finding that Train Wreck is my favorite level, I'm right there with you.

That's a fun level. One of my favorite in U2 MP.

P.S. My Amazon order is still a go. Just a couple months to go! lol

Can somebody tell me what the size is of the statue? It looks very cool and maybe I'll go for the Legendary edition, although I am also disappointed because of the lack of a bonus disc (I even loved the warthog game, gamer pics and that kind of extras). I am just really a sucker for ingame content and feel like I have to go for the best edition since I have always got the best edition of Halo (Wars, 2, 3).

Popeck

urk said:

How quickly does the hill change place? I remember playing Crazy King in our preview event and it definitely was crazy. The hill moved pretty quickly and the map was Swordbase so jetpack was useful. The armor lock wasn't available, it's KotH after all.

EDIT: I have used GIMP to make animated gifs. You can download a plugin that makes it a bit more easier.
ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.6/gap/
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Simple_Animations/
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Using_GAP/

Gestured2.gif

GhaleonEB

Popeck said:
How quickly does the hill change place? I remember playing Crazy King in our preview event and it definitely was crazy. The hill moved pretty quickly and the map was Swordbase so jetpack was useful. The armor lock wasn't available, it's KotH after all.
Nice detail. I'm wondering if armor lock will be in the first two stages of Invasion - a couple players could use it one after the other to stay in the territory for a decent chunk of the capture time. I'm thinking that's the AA, even more than the others, which will need to be deployed carefully into the different gametypes. It could mess with gametypes like Territories, Invasion and KotH.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GhaleonEB said:
Nice detail. I'm wondering if armor lock will be in the first two stages of Invasion - a couple players could use it one after the other to stay in the territory for a decent chunk of the capture time. I'm thinking that's the AA, even more than the others, which will need to be deployed carefully into the different gametypes. It could mess with gametypes like Territories, Invasion and KotH.

That brings up an interesting question, does using Armor Lock in the territory even count towards the capture time? Because if so that is a genius way to take territories. :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I missed the chat a few pages back about beatdown trading and the effect better matchmaking has on it. I'd just like to get my 2 cents in on it. At the base, networking in Reach will be better than in Halo 3. Froman was talking on the podcast about all these different improvements that have been made. Also, I think that if Bungie opened up in-game voice chat no matter the team size, it further proves that the networking in Reach has improved. I think it's also important to note that while there are still lots of people with shitty ass connections, there are people who have also upgraded their internet. Myself included. My FiOs pipe is soooo fat lol. Reach also apparently does a better job at looking at players connections and choosing the best host. As far as matchmaking is concerned it appears as though location and distance between players has a greater effect than in Halo 3. That will no doubt be a solution to a lot of problems that people had with Halo 3's "shitty" networking. If in Halo 3 I match with all players from NY or even surrounding states, I have an amazing game. However, just the other day in MLG, I used "prefer language" with a teammate of mine. I get matched with 3 guys from the UK, which makes sense I know but wasn't the desired effect, 2 guys from Germany (the hosts) and 1 guy from France. The match was a shit fest.

I think the way people are matched is an important step in increasing the overall quality of matches. If that is done successfully, I no longer see the need for beatdown trading. Or maybe the solution is to just decrease the time that the guy who melee's second has to make the trade. Either way the current system in Halo 3 doesn't seem like it would be necessary or even appropriate to include in Reach.

Lazslo

New avatar in anticipation of the Arena. Can't wait for that formula that your rating is composed of to become public. Pre-season, I'm going for Onyx...Believe.
USN-Greenie-Board.jpg

Nutter

Tashi0106 said:
So I missed the chat a few pages back about beatdown trading and the effect better matchmaking has on it. I'd just like to get my 2 cents in on it. At the base, networking in Reach will be better than in Halo 3. Froman was talking on the podcast about all these different improvements that have been made. Also, I think that if Bungie opened up in-game voice chat no matter the team size, it further proves that the networking in Reach has improved. I think it's also important to note that while there are still lots of people with shitty ass connections, there are people who have also upgraded their internet. Myself included. My FiOs pipe is soooo fat lol. Reach also apparently does a better job at looking at players connections and choosing the best host. As far as matchmaking is concerned it appears as though location and distance between players has a greater effect than in Halo 3. That will no doubt be a solution to a lot of problems that people had with Halo 3's "shitty" networking. If in Halo 3 I match with all players from NY or even surrounding states, I have an amazing game. However, just the other day in MLG, I used "prefer language" with a teammate of mine. I get matched with 3 guys from the UK, which makes sense I know but wasn't the desired effect, 2 guys from Germany (the hosts) and 1 guy from France. The match was a shit fest.

I think the way people are matched is an important step in increasing the overall quality of matches. If that is done successfully, I no longer see the need for beatdown trading. Or maybe the solution is to just decrease the time that the guy who melee's second has to make the trade. Either way the current system in Halo 3 doesn't seem like it would be necessary or even appropriate to include in Reach.

Sorry Tashi, I cant help but laugh at you getting matched up with some dudes from Germany and UK, only because I know exactly how shitty it is. Just last night, me and Thermight in MLG got matched up with dudes from UK and Italy, Yeah.. not sure how that worked; and when asked they both said nah the game is smooth for us. LOL... : [ I was yellow bar the entire game. Everything I did from melee, grenade throw to shoot was delayed, of course the internatonal folks will get host or some BS of that kind and they wont notice that the game is a shit fest to other folks in the game. I pray and hope the regional filter works as advertised. I DO NOT want to be playing folks from New Zealand, HongKong, Italy, or UK in my ranked matckmaking games. Customs with you guys lead to much bickering over who has host already, imagine that shit in a ranked game.

Improved Net Code will be the best thing about Reach IMO. Can not wait until it actually recognizes that I am probably part of a small percentage of folks who has the "fat pipe" both ways :lol. Especially now since the weapons are hit scan, it is going to effect the game even more so then before. So here's hoping to the Reach being smart enough to realise the better connections and for smooth sailing in matchmaking come beta time.

Chrange said:
141p0yw.jpg

I don't know if I'm that dedicated to the cause. Sorry, Tyson....
Too perfect. :lol

Ssparks said:
New avatar in anticipation of the Arena. Can't wait for that formula that your rating is composed of to become public. Pre-season, I'm going for Onyx...
USN-Greenie-Board.jpg
I'm thinking pre-season is our best chance for Onyx, since everyone will at least want to try Arena out, and since the number of games (and days of games) needed for a rating is lower than it likely will be in the release build. As time goes on, I'm expecting the lower tier players to get frustrated and thin out, making Onyx more and more exclusive and competitive with each new season.

Schmitty

Son of Godzilla said:
Anyone who took them that seriously doesn't deserve to play Halo

bobs99 ... said:
Someone needs to edit this to make him look like hes throwing a fireball and add a speech bubble with a HADOUKIN! :lol

More like the Naruto wind fireball thing. I'm glad I can't remember the name of it, makes me feel better about myself.

So someone explain HaloGaf for me.

I've looked at it for years, but I never posted much. Does it still follow the same format as:

1. New thread about new feature/vid/update
2. a few pages talk about subject the other 100 deviate to .gifs/stories of old games/ wish list
3.?????
4. lock

Or is there actually some legitimate discussion going on?

cool_dude_2049 said:

I've looked at it for years, but I never posted much. Does it still follow the same format as:

2. a few pages talk about subject the other 100 deviate to .gifs/stories of old games/ wish list
3.?????
4. lock

Oh give them some credit, "2" usually lasts for a few weeks.

Gui_PT said:
Well now I remember it too =(

stephen08

cool_dude_2049 said:

3.?????
4. lock

It's either that or dozens of threads discussing any topic relevant to Halo that comes up. Including games from the nights before, speculation, etc.

cool_dude_2049 said:
3.?????
4. lock
the ????? mystery is AR vs BR, although for Reach I think it'll be Pistol vs AR vs DMR or something

cool_dude_2049 said:

3.?????
4. lock

Why does this post deviate from the subject?

Top Bottom