• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

bobs99 ... said:
The Reach skyboxes (and landboxes? :lol ) are amazing and seem very alien, and stepping out of that drop pod in Halo 1 to see that vista was amazing, alien or not im glad Bungie are doing another game with big open landscapes :D .

They're beautiful, but they're basically just huge storm clouds. The 'landboxes' are, grass, trees, rock, mountains, etc...and not particular weird formations of those elements either. They're gorgeous, but not Alien.

I'm not saying Bungie should go all Avatar-style neon plantlife and floating mountains, but they have creative license to create the kinds of things you'd never see on Earth, and they dont. They make the world look very...Earthy.

dslgunstar said:
They're beautiful, but they're basically just huge storm clouds. The 'landboxes' are, grass, trees, rock, mountains, etc...and not particular weird formations of those elements either. They're gorgeous, but not Alien.
Have you ever, um, looked up while on Powerhouse?

Dax01 said:
Have you ever, um, looked up while on Powerhouse?

Hahaha, nope. Just saw the huge overhanging mountain. Cool. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in the actual environments, not the sky-boxes. Let me climb over the kind of natural structures Ill never see, anywhere.

dslgunstar said:
Hahaha, nope. Just saw the huge overhanging mountain. Cool. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in the actual environments, not the sky-boxes. Let me climb over the kind of natural structures Ill never see, anywhere.
It's multiplayer, dude. I think Bungie is saving the alien stuff for campaign. I mean, why would Bungie choose a MP map that gave away a huge part of the campaign in the Beta? They didn't do it with the Halo 3 beta (they only teased with Valhalla).

Dax01 said:
Yes, but the Halo 3 pistol would've been a good weapon, and used a lot, if it had a zoom. To me, the zoom is what makes the pistol a formidable weapon.

First I'll just say that I disagree with that assesment, that the Halo 3 pistol would somehow magically be a well loved weapon with zoom. That's for reasons that aren't really Germane to this discussion though.

The point I made though, you are missing it. Right now, the pistol sits really well in the sandbox, it's effective at a variety of ranges, but not overpowering at any one range. Sure, it will beat an AR up close, but that's more because the AR is shit than anything else, it has more trouble against a plasma repeater, or a needler. At midrange it lets you pull off some clutch kills, knock down jetpackers and clean up unshielded guys. It's an incredibly satisfying weapon, but one that doesn't break the sandbox.

With perfect accuracy, this weapon can't be as satisfying, without being overpowered. Without bloom, the pistol is either overpowered, mid range only, or short range only. Bringing up the halo 3 pistol only proves this point, as that weapon was useless outside of one very narrow range. Bloom gives the weapon flexibility, without making it overpowered, a point you implicitly concede in your initial post, yet you argue some unrelated stuff about the ODST or halo 3 pistol.

You get closer to making an argument about that the ability to quick fire the pistol to get close range kills, but that would ruin one of the most important tools of getting those "Clutch multikills." that people round here seem to love so much.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Reach is very "Earth like" for a reason. Fictionally, it's one of the reasons it was chosen for settlement, humans need a specific type of environment to live in and outside of the fiction from a design point of view, it helps the player feel familiar with this strange alien world if players can identify with it.

You are fighting on a UNSC controlled human world and fighting an invading alien force. You are fighting to protect it and your fellow humans on it. We all know that the fight is futile and Reach falls and I think that some of the concept art gives us a glimpse into what the game has in store.

At the beginning, you are right, it looks like Earth. Familiar rolling green hills, blue oceans and rocky mountains. However, Reach is doomed. The Covenant invade and "glass" the planet. By the end of the game there will be little similarity with the environment, the rolling green hills and mountains will be flattened into deathly glass deserts, the calm weather will be transformed into a maelstrom of angry and fiery howling winds. The planet will have transformed from a human paradise into a nightmarish, molten glassy hell.

GlassSmall.jpg

The Beta maps already offer brief glimpses into this transformation. We can see the beautiful greens in Overgrowth, the calm mountains that nestle Powerhouse and the abandoned human industry found in Boneyard. Take a closer look at the skies, listen to the radio chatter and look far off into the horizons. There's an invading force, the UNSC is outnumbered, explosions light up the sky and a storm is quietly brewing.

We haven't seen the full extent of of Reach's visuals just yet and I believe we won't be seeing it properly until we get our hands on the game. There are surprises in store for us.

Dani said:
Reach is very "Earth like" for a reason. Fictionally, it's one of the reasons it was chosen for settlement, humans need a specific type of environment to live in and outside of the fiction from a design point of view, it helps the player feel familiar with this strange alien world if players can identify with it.

You are fighting on a UNSC controlled human world and fighting an invading alien force. You are fighting to protect it and your fellow humans on it. We all know that the fight is futile and Reach falls and I think that some of the concept art gives us a glimpse into what the game has in store.

At the beginning, you are right, it looks like Earth. Familiar rolling green hills, blue oceans and rocky mountains. However, Reach is doomed. The Covenant invade and "glass" the planet. By the end of the game there will be little similarity with the environment, the rolling green hills and mountains will be flattened into deathly glass deserts, the calm weather will be transformed into a maelstrom of angry and fiery howling winds. The planet will have transformed from a human paradise into a nightmarish, molten glassy hell.

GlassSmall.jpg

The Beta maps already offer brief glimpses into this transformation. We can see the beautiful greens in Overgrowth, the calm mountains that nestle Powerhouse and the abandoned human industry found in Boneyard. Take a closer look at the skies, listen to the radio chatter and look far off into the horizons. There's an invading force, the UNSC is outnumbered, explosions light up the sky and a storm is quietly brewing.

We haven't seen the full extent of of Reach's visuals just yet and I believe we won't be seeing it properly until we get our hands on the game. There are surprises in store for us.

Im literally drooling reading that, your spot on and I was going to make a post about how Reach seems human while also having really Alien qualitys, but the idea that were also going to see it slowly get destroyed makes me really excited to see the visuals.

RBH

Dark FaZe said:
After playing the beta is anyone else glad that things worked out the way they did between Bungie and MS?

I don't mean any disrespect to either side, but I'm very interested in seeing what MS can do with a team they are creating from the grounds up with proper funding for the first time in...well...ever? And with a new engine working exclusive on the system on an incredible I.P. I think they have the potential to really reignite the Halo name, especially if we don't see the next Halo until next gen.

On the other hand while I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bungies talent I can't help but feel as if they have lacked something since H2's release and the map packs that followed. H3 was not what I would call a let down, but ODST and Reach, while good, just aren't up to the standard that I would have expected from them this gen. I'm hoping with a new I.P and with a goal to create the most successful multiplatform title this generation that we can see them knock one out of the park.

Still buying Reach day 1 but just thought I'd throw a couple of pennies out there.
I'm definitely interested in seeing what 343 Industries will do with the Halo franchise in the forseeable future. It'd be nice if we could see their work this gen, but I don't mind waiting until the next generation as long as it means a better overall product. I've enjoyed H3 and ODST, but it will be interesting to see how the franchise will evolve in the future.

Popeck

I had goosebumps when I read Dani's post and started thinking about Reach in her death throee. The desperate final mission, skies ablaze with lightning, epic vistas with Covenant ships looming overhead, Marty's dramatic music and so on. I really hope Bungie shows the fall of Reach and transformation of the planet from Earth-like greenhouse to a destroyed world more like a combination of Mars and Venus.

Popeck said:
I had goosebumps when I read Dani's post and started thinking about Reach in her death throee. The desperate final mission, skies ablaze with lightning, epic vistas with Covenant ships looming overhead, Marty's dramatic music and so on. I really hope Bungie shows the fall of Reach and transformation of the planet from Earth-like greenhouse to a destroyed world more like a combination of Mars and Venus.

What the hell would the final mission be?

What kind of attack/counterattack would be epic enough but believable enough for players to accept 'yes, this could actually save the planet'...but only carried out with 6 people?

If it has anything to do with driving a warthog over exploding terrain, then Im gonna be pissed. :lol

Or might the last mission simple be 'save as many as you can'....ending with the securing of John 117 aboard that ship.

zumphry

Banned
Popeck said:

I'd also love to see all of Noble team die, you included.

That, or a believable escape.

EDIT: dammit, dslgunstar

dslgunstar said:
What the hell would the final mission be?

What kind of attack/counterattack would be epic enough but believable enough for players to accept 'yes, this could actually save the planet'...but only carried out with 6 people?

If it has anything to do with driving a warthog over exploding terrain, then Im gonna be pissed. :lol

Or might the last mission simple be 'save as many as you can'....ending with the securing of John 117 aboard that ship.

A suicide mission would be pretty sad/ believable, maybe the Covenant have found something like the co-ordinates of Earth and rather than try and escape Reach, you try and attack the group with the co ordinates? Although I doubt we will be fighting to keep Earth a secret because it would feel a bit pointless considering we know how that turned out. :lol Hopefully something equally as important though.

Lazslo

Last Saturday Night of Halo Reach, I'll be on tonight around 8-9 if anyone is looking for a good donging. Im looking at you VH. Dani, any chance of you playing tonight bro?

Striker

Dax01 said:
Yes, but the Halo 3 pistol would've been a good weapon, and used a lot, if it had a zoom. To me, the zoom is what makes the pistol a formidable weapon.
Even with a zoom, the Pistol still would've garbage. It's slow rate of fire and often times you would barely feel like you're hitting the play. The weapon's feedback was very questionable. Halo 2's dual magnum were great until Bungie nerfed them.

Ramirez said:
Exactly, when people are at close distance, and you have no choice but to fight each other, it turns into an awkward mess. I try to time my shots, because hey, that's what I'm supposed to do right? Well, majority of the time, they spam and kill me, or the opposite happens, I spam them while they're timing.
Time your headshot, yes, but I don't see why you would essentially have to use it for four body shots. With the adjustments for the Spartan's hit-box (for the head) for the final, it'll be more interesting, and on less crunched maps like Swordbase and to an extent, Powerhouse.

I've only one real issue with Halo : Reach, relating to the visuals.

The aliasing (in the beta) is very poor, Reach would look beautiful but for this. And personally it actually affects my ability to discern objects in the distance.

EazyB

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
After playing the beta is anyone else glad that things worked out the way they did between Bungie and MS?

I don't mean any disrespect to either side, but I'm very interested in seeing what MS can do with a team they are creating from the grounds up with proper funding for the first time in...well...ever? And with a new engine working exclusive on the system on an incredible I.P. I think they have the potential to really reignite the Halo name, especially if we don't see the next Halo until next gen.

On the other hand while I have a tremendous amount of respect for Bungies talent I can't help but feel as if they have lacked something since H2's release and the map packs that followed. H3 was not what I would call a let down, but ODST and Reach, while good, just aren't up to the standard that I would have expected from them this gen. I'm hoping with a new I.P and with a goal to create the most successful multiplatform title this generation that we can see them knock one out of the park.

Still buying Reach day 1 but just thought I'd throw a couple of pennies out there.
Reach has stripped most of the gameplay elements I've enjoyed from previous Halos and gone in a direction I don't care for. This beta has single-handedly made me anticipate 343's work more than anything else could've possibly done. If 343 delivers a Halo title that focuses on traditional movement and gunplay I can really see myself jumping back in down the road.

If Bungie isn't even carrying over the gameplay elements I enjoy from Halo to their next Halo game I fear they don't appreciate the same things I do and New IP could really alienate me. My greatest hope is that Reach is only a product a developers bored of being forced to make Halo game after Halo game when they want to create something entirely new. So they're straying as far away from Halo's gameplay as they can but being held back by the Halo title from really making a game that plays entirely differently than Halo but being just as focused as their previous projects. Maybe with New IP, being completely free from Halo, will allow them to create the next Halo franchise. A game completely foreign to Halo but crafted with the same care and priorities that made CE/2/3 great.

vhfive

Ssparks said:
Last Saturday Night of Halo Reach, I'll be on tonight around 8-9 if anyone is looking for a good donging. Im looking at you VH. Dani, any chance of you playing tonight bro?
unfortunately I wont be on tonight. but i'll get plenty of playing time over these last couple of days.

EazyB said:
Reach has stripped most of the gameplay elements I've enjoyed from previous Halos and gone in a direction I don't care for. This beta has single-handedly made me anticipate 343's work more than anything else could've possibly done. If 343 delivers a Halo title that focuses on traditional movement and gunplay I can really see myself jumping back in down the road.

If Bungie isn't even carrying over the gameplay elements I enjoy from Halo to their next Halo game I fear they don't appreciate the same things I do and New IP could really alienate me. My greatest hope is that Reach is only a product a developers bored of being forced to make Halo game after Halo game when they want to create something entirely new. So they're straying as far away from Halo's gameplay as they can but being held back by the Halo title from really making a game that plays entirely differently than Halo but being just as focused as their previous projects. Maybe with New IP, being completely free from Halo, will allow them to create the next Halo franchise. A game completely foreign to Halo but crafted with the same care and priorities that made CE/2/3 great.
Yeah while I enjoy Reach more than it appears you do, I am really hoping 343's Halo game is more like the trilogy than ODST and Reach.

Devin Olsen said:
I believe you're correct, the networking model for Halo: CE is synchronous lock step. with that said I honestly cannot believe how well Halo 1 used to play on XBC (or even Gamespy...). Considering the networking was designed for a simple at home LAN setup it does so well.

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.... Why did Halo 1 literally play smoother on XBC then ODST or NT1 does on XBL?

Is it because the game was much simpler, so it didn't have to transmit as much data?... Gah I remember playing with up to eight people at times on XBC and the games ran smoothly... My internet used to be so much worse too.

I demand a reason for this!

In H1 a relatively small amount of data needed to be sent; the lag on XBC was entirely due to waiting for the host's response. (I don't think the host waited before proceeding either which was why the game was smooth host-side, but that runs the risk of going out of sync, which isn't really a problem on a 100Mb LAN connection with <1ms latency)

Compare that to ODST where a lot of the problems are due to packet loss as you're sending quite a lot more data, and as a result the game pauses to wait for everyone to catch up.

And yeah, H1's LAN used Lockstep.

EazyB said:

I dont think another dev could capture what makes Halo... Halo, no other game has felt close. I also think 343 will be trying to capture the Reach gameplay more than the older Halo gameplay (unless they have started work already?)

As much as I have a lot of respect for the guys at 343, Bungie have been making Halo for 10 years, a first attempt at it from a new company can never be as good, just as a Bungie Gears game (for example) wouldnt quite get it right first time.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
bobs99 ... said:
I dont think another dev could capture what makes Halo... Halo, no other game has felt close. I also think 343 will be trying to capture the Reach gameplay more than the older Halo gameplay (unless they have started work already?)

As much as I have a lot of respect for the guys at 343, Bungie have been making Halo for 10 years, a first attempt at it from a new company can never be as good, just as a Bungie Gears game (for example) wouldnt quite get it right first time.

I don't think it's fair to even think about whatever 343 has plans for in the future just yet. Bungie is still in the kitchen. At least wait until they serve the final dish before worrying whether the next bunch of cooks are up to scratch.

Dani said:

http://forwarduntodawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/GlassSmall.jpg[/IMG

We haven't seen the full extent of of Reach's visuals just yet and I believe we won't be seeing it properly until we get our hands on the game. There are surprises in store for us.[/QUOTE]
But I want blue grass, dawg.
[QUOTE=Opus Angelorum]I've only one real issue with Halo : Reach, relating to the visuals.

The aliasing (in the beta) is very poor, Reach would look [I]beautiful [/I]but for this. And personally it actually affects my ability to discern objects in the distance.[/QUOTE]
Aliasing is perfectly fine. Reach is one of the best looking games on consoles.

Popeck

bobs99 ... said:
A suicide mission would be pretty sad/ believable, maybe the Covenant have found something like the co-ordinates of Earth and rather than try and escape Reach, you try and attack the group with the co ordinates? Although I doubt we will be fighting to keep Earth a secret because it would feel a bit pointless considering we know how that turned out. :lol Hopefully something equally as important though.

I do believe there will be some crazy Forerunner stuff related to the story of Reach that ultimately give it an unexpected spin.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:

Haven't took an official count, but there's been many Bungie guys leaping over to 343 for their own Halo game. Curious to see or find out how many are from Halo 1 or Halo 2 days in Bungie are left, or who of those departed for 343.

Popeck

Striker said:
Haven't took an official count, but there's been many Bungie guys leaping over to 343 for their own Halo game. Curious to see or find out how many are from Halo 1 or Halo 2 days in Bungie, or who of those left for 343.

I think the core guys are still working for Bungie and they decide the overall picture. Of course Jason Jones, Joe Staten and some other guys are working on The Next Big Thing and obviously they have some new faces in important roles considering Reach, but the ancients will still have their say on the their last Halo game. I don't remember seeing any very important playas leaving Bungie for 343i (sorry Frankie).

Popeck said:
I do believe there will be some crazy Forerunner stuff related to the story of Reach that ultimately give it an unexpected spin.

I hope so! It would be very interesting to see how they intergrate this into the story though, escaping into a Shield world just as Reach falls basically leaves the potential for a interesting new trilogy from the perspectives of the Chief. Halsey/ Kelly/ the Spartans with them and Noble team, if they all end up on the same shield world. :D
Sounds very unlikely!

Dani I agree its a little premature to discuss 343 made Bungie games till Reach is even out, but im REALLY interested in how that will turn out, they clearly have something big planned with all the talent they've snapped up.

chapel

Banned
HaloGAF Reach Beta Montage Call For Clips

Please PM me (on here) a link to any rendered clips you would like to see in a montage. Try to limit it to 10 unless they are related clips that give different POV or ancillary action to the scene. They can be awesome, omgwtfbb, funny, cool, whatever. Anything that shows off the beta would be cool, especially glitches that are unique or really funny.

Since the beta is coming to a close and all data on the website seems to be going with it, please get me the clips by the 19th so I can download them locally.

Striker

Popeck said:
I think the core guys are still working for Bungie and they decide the overall picture. Of course Jason Jones, Joe Staten and some other guys are working on The Next Big Thing and obviously they have some new faces in important roles considering Reach, but the ancients will still have their say on the their last Halo game. I don't remember seeing any very important playas leaving Bungie for 343i (sorry Frankie).
Not quite sure on names, since I haven't researched, but some went to Certain Affinity; their big lead over there I believe is Max Hoberman, who did a lot for Halo 2. Staten is more for story-telling than actual gameplay, if I'm not mistaken.

electricpirate said:
First I'll just say that I disagree with that assesment, that the Halo 3 pistol would somehow magically be a well loved weapon with zoom. That's for reasons that aren't really Germane to this discussion though.

The point I made though, you are missing it. Right now, the pistol sits really well in the sandbox, it's effective at a variety of ranges, but not overpowering at any one range. Sure, it will beat an AR up close, but that's more because the AR is shit than anything else, it has more trouble against a plasma repeater, or a needler. At midrange it lets you pull off some clutch kills, knock down jetpackers and clean up unshielded guys. It's an incredibly satisfying weapon, but one that doesn't break the sandbox.

With perfect accuracy, this weapon can't be as satisfying, without being overpowered. Without bloom, the pistol is either overpowered, mid range only, or short range only. Bringing up the halo 3 pistol only proves this point, as that weapon was useless outside of one very narrow range. Bloom gives the weapon flexibility, without making it overpowered, a point you implicitly concede in your initial post, yet you argue some unrelated stuff about the ODST or halo 3 pistol.

You get closer to making an argument about that the ability to quick fire the pistol to get close range kills, but that would ruin one of the most important tools of getting those "Clutch multikills." that people round here seem to love so much.
For the bold: No.

For the rest of the post: You make good points, but making good points won't make the bloom on the NR/DMR/pistol fun for me.

bobs99 ... said:

The problem with that is that after 3 Halo games, we're all accustomed to EVERY Spartan mission being a suicide mission. Seriously, was there a single objective in any Halo game where you thought 'yes, it is completely reasonable to believe that a single soldier could overcome these odds and come out alive'

Suicide missions are now the norm. They need something HUGE to really make the death of this planet seem like the catastrophe it is. Thankfully, I think a bit more of a focus on character development could help hit that idea home as well.

Dax01 said:
For the bold: No.

For the rest of the post: You make good points, but making good points won't make the bloom on the NR/DMR/pistol fun for me.

I kind of get what he means. You're free to ignore the bloom and rattle off shots as fast as possible, and there will be times where those rapid, less accurate shots will be more helpful than slow, precise shots (and vice versa).

That said, reticule bloom or not, I think that if I center my reticule perfectly over the head of the enemy, my chances of a headshot should increase dramatically regardless of the reticule bloom.

urk said:
The time to kill between a perfectly executed Battle Rifle kill in Halo 3 and a perfectly executed DMR kill in the Reach beta is measured in tenths of a second. The beta Magnum is nearly twice as fast as both. The key difference is that you can fire at a rate that falls outside of the optimal cadence.

I wasn't the clearest in what I said, I wasn't referring to just BR vs DMR, it's all relative to other weapons, (and the different effective ranges of those weapons etc. etc.)

But anyway I'm assuming you're talking about the time to 5 shot with the bloom going to zero each time vs the time to 4 shot with the BR.

Lazslo

chapel said:
HaloGAF Reach Beta Montage Call For Clips
Nice mang, I'll be sending you some clips soon. So far, my favorite is just this simple stick I got on Dani. Just something about evading into a gravlift is pretty awesome to me.

Edit: Also, If you want to be in this Dongtage and you need a clip rendered send me PM I gots some extra render points floating around

Wow, we only have four more days with the beta... I'll be sad to see it go, but I certainly am looking forward to see the changes they have made this fall.

dslgunstar said:
The problem with that is that after 3 Halo games, we're all accustomed to EVERY Spartan mission being a suicide mission. Seriously, was there a single objective in any Halo game where you thought 'yes, it is completely reasonable to believe that a single soldier could overcome these odds and come out alive'

Suicide missions are now the norm. They need something HUGE to really make the death of this planet seem like the catastrophe it is. Thankfully, I think a bit more of a focus on character development could help hit that idea home as well.
"Master Chief, defend this station."

Most of the Halo 1 missions that involve you starting off with a squad of Marines. "The Pillar of Autumn," "Halo (1)," "The Silent Cartographer," "Truth and Reconciliation," and most of the fighting on Earth in Halo 2 and maybe some of 3.

Might be stretching on some (if not most) of those though.

Popeck

Striker said:
Not quite sure on names, since I haven't researched, but some went to Certain Affinity; their big lead over there I believe is Max Hoberman, who did a lot for Halo 2. Staten is more for story-telling than actual gameplay, if I'm not mistaken.

Ach, you're right on Hoberman, he certainly was an important piece of the puzzle that was Halo 2's multiplayer. Some Bungie folk also left to found Moonshot Games last year: http://www.moonshotgames.com/.

Still, I don't remember any names beside Frankie and Nathan Walpole (animator) that have moved from Bungie to 343i specifically.

dslgunstar said:

Heh, got me thinkig. How awesome would it be if the last mission progressed as usual until the fial curtain draws but instead of reaching the last checkpoint or whatever, you are just left fighting until you are eventually swept under the outstretched arm of the Covenant invasion? Like, you think you gotta stay alive, but the game concludes when the last of the Spartans on Reah dies... Something to muse over :p

Hydranockz said:
Heh, got me thinkig. How awesome would it be if the last mission progressed as usual until the fial curtain draws but instead of reaching the last checkpoint or whatever, you are just left fighting until you are eventually swept under the outstretched arm of the Covenant invasion? Like, you think you gotta stay alive, but the game concludes when the last of the Spartans on Reah dies... Something to muse over :p

Now thats awesome, make this battle EPIC with a glassing going on in the distance to drive the point home. It would be funny how many people restart from checkpoint after dieing though. :lol

Hydranockz said:
Well then the game never concludes because Spartan-II Blue Team survives and later escapes the planet :p

We'll likely see some more campaign stuff at E3, now that the beta is almost done with.

Devin Olsen said:
Wow, we only have four more days with the beta... I'll be sad to see it go, but I certainly am looking forward to see the changes they have made this fall.
I don't think that'll be the case for me. Honestly, besides slayer (except SvE Slayer for obvious reasons), I can't think of a single gametype in this beta that I've enjoyed, but there are several factors that contribute to this. Some gametypes, like One Flag, suffer from the maps chosen for the beta (Swordbase and Powerhouse are unsuitable for it). I'm sure that and Stockpile will be a lot of fun come release, but that doesn't change the fact that I've been pretty soured on Reach's version of both.

Dax01 said:
I don't think that'll be the case for me. Honestly, besides slayer (except SvE Slayer for obvious reasons), I can't think of a single gametype in this beta that I've enjoyed, but there are several factors that contribute to this. Some gametypes, like One Flag, suffer from the maps chosen for the beta (Swordbase and Powerhouse are unsuitable for it). I'm sure that and Stockpile will be a lot of fun come release, but that doesn't change the fact that I've been pretty soured on Reach's version of both.

Powerhouse is perfect for one flag outside of one glaring issue - the flag room is too easy to defend. Despite that problem, I've still won plenty of 1-flag matches so it is definitely possible to win anyway. Fix that problem and 1-Flag on Powerhouse goes from Good to Awesome.

Stockpile is awesome as kind of a crazy hybrid of CTF and KOTH. If you went in looking for the straight strategy of CTF, you might have been disappointment, but I thought it was a nice way to mix the stupid-fun chaos of a team KOTH or Oddball with the Flag objective types. Cant wait for stockpile on more maps. :D

Dax01 said:

I'm really sad you feel that way, Dax, only because I know how much you love the franchise.
I know the feeling.
Resistance 2 :(

Hydranockz said:

That would be a really cool way to get back to what Halo: CE did better than any of the Halo games since: Tell a story through the gameplay.

Instead of watching a cutscene showing Noble team going down, you get to play through and experience their last, desperate, futile struggle in the face of oblivion.

So awesome.

dslgunstar said:
That would be a really cool way to get back to what Halo: CE did better than any of the Halo games since: Tell a story through the gameplay.

Instead of watching a cutscene showing Noble team going down, you get to play through and experience their last, desperate, futile struggle in the face of oblivion.

So awesome.

If that's not how the game plays out in it's current sate, Bungie must be kicking themselves right now :lol
that idea was beyond fantastic. Hell, they could even make it a special-ops type mission to see who can last longest with leaderboards etc :D

dslgunstar said:
Powerhouse is perfect for one flag outside of one glaring issue - the flag room is too easy to defend. Despite that problem, I've still won plenty of 1-flag matches so it is definitely possible to win anyway. Fix that problem and 1-Flag on Powerhouse goes from Good to Awesome.
There are problems with the gametype itself. Sudden death, flag return radius is still too small, to name two issues I have with it.

zumphry

Banned
dslgunstar said:

So awesome.

I like you.

(would love to actually have glassing going on around me, see marines "frozen" in it and stuff)

Top Bottom