• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Blueblur1

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh give them some credit, "2" usually lasts for a few weeks.

Well now I remember it too =(
It's true that the various Halo threads that have existed on GAF have been derailed and have hosted dozens of unnecessary arguments; that's unfortunate. But it's worth noting that the ocassional visitors we get that demonstrate "Holier than thou" attitudes don't really make things better. If you've got nothing nice or constructive to say, you might as well stay out of the thread.

As for the actual thread topic, I'm really looking forward to tonight's update and next week's deluge of new media. I'm hoping to spend a significant amount of time on my podcast theme this weekend and will hopefully have something finished by next Thursday. :)

Oh hey I just realized. This means the bubble shield is gone right? Shame that junk like the laser gets to keep on trucking while the one decent thing Halo 3 introduced is shitbinned.

Schmitty

Well mods only let there be one Halo thread at a time, so all Halo discussion stays in one thread. There is nothing wrong with that.

Blueblur1 said:
It's true that the various Halo threads that have existed on GAF have been derailed and have hosted dozens of unnecessary arguments; that's unfortunate. But it's worth noting that the ocassional visitors we get that demonstrate "Holier than thou" attitudes don't really make things better. If you've got nothing nice or constructive to say, you might as well stay out of the thread.

As for the actual thread topic, I'm really looking forward to tonight's update and next week's deluge of new media. I'm hoping to spend a significant amount of time on my podcast theme this weekend and will hopefully have something finished by next Thursday. :)

In my opinion its really not. Thats why this place is so awesome. Halo is a huge game and the games with cleaner threads are probably too sterile for my liking anyway. This is probably the only place were a range of Halo fans from different ends of the spectrum can get along and argue about a wide range of stuff in a decent manner.

Godzilla im also going to miss the bubble, I will be so happy if enemies use it in campeign, after all I just dont see them using AA's. Infact im wondering how AA's will be handled in story mode full stop.

might be really funny if youre twelve years old

"oh man its so good to own people cause im so ownage and then i say something funny"
you: "LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

just stupid pandering to appeal to mw audience.

I dont think he was trying to appeal to an immature audiance, I think he was just caricaturing himself for the entertainment of people on here.

Ramirez

Chinner said:
might be really funny if youre twelve years old

"oh man its so good to own people cause im so ownage and then i say something funny"
you: "LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

just stupid pandering to appeal to mw audience.

Christ, give it a rest dude.

I may have missed it but, Arena stuff is gonna be in the beta right? I am most excited about that, especially after playing the Starcraft 2 Beta which has a similar system.

stephen08

darkressurection said:
I may have missed it but, Arena stuff is gonna be in the beta right? I am most excited about that, especially after playing the Starcraft 2 Beta which has a similar system.

Arena is in.

Magni

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh hey I just realized. This means the bubble shield is gone right? Shame that junk like the laser gets to keep on trucking while the one decent thing Halo 3 introduced is shitbinned.

:lol :lol :lol The only decent Equipment IMO was the Power Drain (and the Beta Tripmine, RIP). All the others slowed down gameplay or were worthless IMO.

Nutter said:
I was yellow bar the entire game. Everything I did from melee, grenade throw to shoot was delayed, of course the internatonal folks will get host or some BS of that kind and they wont notice that the game is a shit fest to other folks in the game.
Again, I hate to harp on this, but I'm really sorry you have to be on the receiving end of Transatlantic latency to host once in a while. Really sorry. But we take the lion's share. The super smooth games you have every day? Yeah, freaky shit happens in those for us a lot of the time. So, uh, put up with it? Once in a while?

bobs99 ... said:
Godzilla im also going to miss the bubble, I will be so happy if enemies use it in campeign, after all I just dont see them using AA's. Infact im wondering how AA's will be handled in story mode full stop.
Heh, enemy bubbles in Campaign were nearly pointless. Oh look, monkey on a rock can't be shot for a few seconds.

As far as AA, it doesn't really seem crazy to expect elites to jetpack, cloak, or roll around.

MagniHarvald said:
:lol :lol :lol The only decent Equipment IMO was the Power Drain (and the Beta Tripmine, RIP). All the others slowed down gameplay or were worthless IMO.

Yea, the bubbleshield makes for interesting encounters sometimes, but its usually just the guy with the shotgun luring people in to a death trap. Plus, it takes too long for it to open after you press x. Half the time I use the bubbleshield its because someone is shooting behind me and I need immediate cover; I think it should give you cover as soon as you press the button. It looks like armor lock is doing a much better job with this.

Shake Appeal said:
Again, I hate to harp on this, but I'm really sorry you have to be on the receiving end of Transatlantic latency to host once in a while. Really sorry. But we take the lion's share. The super smooth games you have every day? Yeah, freaky shit happens in those for us a lot of the time. So, uh, put up with it? Once in a while?

As much as I dont think he meant it in a bad way the whole "fucking Uker's" thing has annoyed me a lot, I remember playing with a dude who was convinced I was only beating him was because I was from the UK - this was 1v1, so wouldnt the connection have been equally bad for both of us? Oh and he was host. :lol

When watching films back with him, the stuff he complains about is stuff that is pretty much normal in my games, so yeah I agree the better matchmaking model and the new netcode are actually the 2 things im looking forward to most.

Shake Appeal said:

Preach it brother! :D

Magni

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Yea, the bubbleshield makes for interesting encounters sometimes, but its usually just the guy with the shotgun luring people in to a death trap. Plus, it takes too long for it to open after you press x. Half the time I use the bubbleshield its because someone is shooting behind me and I need immediate cover; I think it should give you cover as soon as you press the button. It looks like armor lock is doing a much better job with this.

Equipment only deploys after I'm dead :lol There's like a whole second delay between the button press and the actual deployment ><

Doodis said:

THanks! i been wondering... I still havent decided whether i should get it through Amazon or at a store...

Does amazon allow reserves? or do i have to pay the full 150 all at once? I preffer paying as i go so i dont lose all of my 2 weeks pay at once (i only work a little bit lol). I would like to pay like 30 a month or so...

Doodis

The Lamonster said:
But it's not the size that matters.
Well, this statue also has a fairly wide gearth.

Maestro.gif

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hoping The Cannon can answer this: are we allowed to filter MM to search by country or is that something that's going to automatically happen behind the scenes? It'd be a lot better than by "my language" that Halo 3 currently has.

Edit: Yeah, I know Froman and co. already discussed doing something similar automatically, but I'm just wondering if we can tell MM on our own to strictly filter by country at all times.

Kibbles

ManCannon said:
Oh that's a certainty. We're moving into a swank new place later this year and it will mark the return of snickering-sketch to the cinematography and directorial seat for a low-fi walkabout.
Yes! I love the tours. They always make me want to work at Bungie... :lol I need to get skilled in something first.

It would be cool if they found a way to work the bubble shield effect into the EMP blast of Armor Lock, maybe when it blast outwards. Not that armor lock doesn't look awesome, just I loved the look of the bubble shield.

Also, I wonder what the odds of having he ability to activate armor lock mid-air in the final game are. Or at least having the ability to set that in custom games.

Ramirez

Photolysis said:
Eh, that kind of turned me off this one, simply because Luke never came across as a particularly amazing player, so even the typical mild bragging - instead of the over the top ViDoc stuff - didn't do much for me.

For example, I remember a situation when Luke had fairly recently joined Bungie, and he did an interview with the first General in the H3 beta or something. The guy pointed out a legitimate problem with High Ground Slayer, something which basically all the decent players were aware of, and Luke made some sarcastic/ignorant comment in the editors notes, which basically showed that he (Luke) had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

Edit: Link to said interview

I thought Timmins was pretty funny, simply because he gets so excited about the work Bungie are doing. It was like watching a sugar-crazed kid go on about how he loves candy, and it was pretty endearing. It's great when people get that passionate about their work, and it's one reason why Bungie are such a fantastic studio IMHO.

Q: If you could change one thing about the Halo 3 Public Beta, what would it be?

A: I don’t know how I would change this but on High Ground, it seems that people that spawn on the beach have such a huge advantage. Having the sniper, rockets, shotgun and bubble shield with invis makes it so they have the weapon advantage right from the start.

The problem with his complaint is that the rockets and camo can be gotten by the team in the base just as easily as the team that spawns on the beach. The base team usually always manages to snag camo in the games I play, but they usually don't make it out alive. The laser can easily take care of the sniper...the only thing wrong with High Ground is the spawns when you play team slayer, neither side is more overpowered for objective games.

I remember playing against that guy in the Beta, seems like a century ago. :lol

ManCannon

Demoncarnotaur said:
It would be cool if they found a way to work the bubble shield effect into the EMP blast of Armor Lock, maybe when it blast outwards. Not that armor lock doesn't look awesome, just I loved the look of the bubble shield.

Also, I wonder what the odds of having the ability to activate armor lock mid-air in the final game are. Or at least having the ability to set that in custom games.

I'd rather see the Laser-Bubble get implemented - an impervious shield that emits several dozen simultaneous splaser blasts in a 360 degree radius. Sage didn't seem to like my suggestion though.

You can't sprint backwards or sideways, just checked.

You can roll forwards, backwards or sideways though.

Someone was asking about Armor Lock for Elites I think... you won't see it in the beta anywhere. It's possible it could show up later in some final retail playlist/loadout though but it's TBD.

Obligatory Urk update spoiler:
the Invasion playlist will be turned on starting May 7th.

Ramirez

ManCannon said:
I'd rather see the Laser-Bubble get implemented - an impervious shield that emits several dozen simultaneous splaser blasts in a 360 degree radius. Sage didn't seem to like my suggestion though.

Someone was asking about Armor Lock for Elites I think... you won't see it in the beta anywhere. It's possible it could show up later in some final retail playlist/loadout though but it's TBD.

Is Generator Defense up from the get go?

ManCannon said:

Congrats on your 117th post ;)

squicken

I finally saw this Vidoc, and am shocked at the reaction in this thread. Seeing people passionate about what they do is a cool thing. You should be happy.

I'm getting psyched for the beta. Can't wait to play Halo again and get destroyed.

ManCannon

Ramirez said:
Is Generator Defense up from the get go?

Negative. There's a staged roll-out but once something is on, it'll stay on. Urk will drop the current target release dates in the update. I probably shouldn't steal ALL of that thunder.

ManCannon said:

:lol Harsh. I was just talking about visual effects though, nothing physical.

Any chance of mid-air evade or armor lock?

Ah ok, too bad we wont see it, but I imagine the elites with jetpacks/evade/invis will be enough.

May 7th cant come soon enough then. :D

Striker

I may be out of the loop, but what playlists will we get?

Arena (FFA and Team?)
Invasion (Slayer and Seal the Core)
Gen Defense

Stockpile? Grab Bag?

Guess that'll wait until Urk drops the infoz.

Kibbles

Any Elite modes day 1? Invasion is the playlist I'm most looking forward to.

[edit] Oh btw, is there any basic CTF in the beta, or is it all Stockpile?

ManCannon

Kibbles said:
Any Elite modes day 1? Invasion is the playlist I'm most looking forward to.

Covie Slayer games are available as of day one assuming it comes up and people vote for it.

Edit: Yeah there are some classic gametypes in the mix including CTF. (again, assuming people vote for them)

Oozer3993

I hate to add to the deluge of questions, but do you have any idea when the Arena rating formula might be detailed? The math nerd in me would love to peruse it and the computer science nerd in me would love to implement it in Java.

ManCannon

Oozer3993 said:
I hate to add to the deluge of questions, but do you have any idea when the Arena rating formula might be detailed? The math nerd in me would love to peruse it and the computer science nerd in me would love to implement it in Java.

We have the formula. It's rather intense. I literally had just asked Urk "Hey when are you posting that formula?" He's going to put it out next week, Tyson is helping to write up some context and insights to accompany it. It'll happen though and it should delight math nerds everywhere.

Oozer3993 said:
You have my JDK!
and axe

JaggedSac

I am not liking this whole roll-out of modes thing.

I am taking off of work for May 3rd and am only going to be playing a couple game modes. I guess I will be trolling the Arena all day then :)

Top Bottom