• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

MMaRsu

Raide said:
I have so many videos saved on my 360 HDD, all called Invasion or Slayer etc. It would be handy if I could Favourite my own videos so I could sort them easily later. Maybe right after a good match I can tag it to favourite it, just in case I want to go back later and make clips of the awesome fails I did. :lol

Damn so true..

Apath

Generator Defense sucks as a multiplayer game type, but if it were to be, say, a variant of fire fight it would be awesome. As in instead of surviving against wave after wave of Covenant until you run out of lives, you defend the generators against wave after wave of covenant. Game would be sweet :D

Raide

Kenak said:
Generator Defense sucks as a multiplayer game type, but if it were to be, say, a variant of fire fight it would be awesome. As in instead of surviving against wave after wave of Covenant until you run out of lives, you defend the generators against wave after wave of covenant. Game would be sweet :D

As long as they give me the option to play as the Covenant attacking Humans, I am all for it. :D

Wort wort wort!

Lazslo

Quoted for new page:
chapel said:
HaloGAF Reach Beta Montage - Call For Clips

The beta is coming to a close in a few days. That is why I decided to make a Reach Beta montage of GAF clips.

Goal: To make a fun and entertaining montage showing of gaffers exploits in the beta, be they super awesome skills or hilarious moments you had to be there to experience.

Deadline: Wednesday May 19th 12PM PST (Tentative, depends on when the data is cleared, I will take submissions later if possible of course)

If you think they are good clips, just ask in the thread for them to be rendered, or of course send a PM to Ssparks.
Try and get a clip to me even if it's just one clip, I'll still render it and send it along to Chap. Also Jucies if your lurking, I rendered 3 of your clips. Since your banned you don't have a say in this, your in.

Sill4

Ssparks said:
Quoted for new page:

Try and get a clip to me even if it's just one clip, I'll still render it and send it along to Chap. Also Jucies if your lurking, I rendered 3 of your clips. Since your banned you don't have a say in this, your in.
:lol :lol Holy shit, that was great! So many trigger happy fools in FFA objective games.

Jinjo

Well I have this Killtacular in slayer arena clip that could possible be used for the montage. I'd say it's one of my finer moments in the beta. :lol

I also have this (not yet rendered) triple kill with some pretty nice (read: lucky) nade throws if I do say so myself. Excuse the lack of proper camera angles, but I was too lazy for that.

Lazslo

Jinjo said:
Well I have this Killtacular in slayer arena clip that could possible be used for the montage. I'd say it's one of my finer moments in the beta. :lol

I also have this (not yet rendered) triple kill with some pretty nice (read: lucky) nade throws if I do say so myself. Excuse the lack of proper camera angles, but I was too lazy for that.
Those are pretty awesome clips, you should PM those to chapel so they get in.

Jinjo

Ssparks said:
Those are pretty awesome clips, you should PM those to chapel so they get in.

Thanks! If someone would be so kind to render the second one I'll be sure to send them both for the montage.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
scree.jpg

<3 Theatre

Raide

I was trying to get a clip of me where I don't just die like a newb. :lol So hard to get a good clip where I don't suck.

Jinjo

Ssparks said:
Cool, just rendered it bro. Nice clip..

Thanks. I've sent them to chapel. The bits you're not seeing because I couldn't a proper camera angle to show it all is that the first grenade literally drops in the lap of the guy walking down the stairs. It actually slowly rolls of the glass plating. The sticky is just laying on the stairs while some idiot walks straight into it. :lol

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Argh, I should have saved that clip of you spawning on my Banshee and falling. :lol
:lol

I'm sure that can be easily reproduced

We just have to pretend we didn't know it'd happen =P

Gui_PT said:
:lol

I'm sure that can be easily reproduced

We just have to pretend we didn't know it'd happen =P

... but it didnt, what are you talking about!??

:lol :lol :lol

Is that bug actually something that always happens, ive used the banshee since but
too my dissapointment
I never managed to kill my battle bro in the same way, maybe no one else spawned on me "co op style".

Mayyhem

Gui_PT said:
How about we get a party going on and make some clips?
I'm down for this if you have room. Need to get some good games in today because its probably the last day I'll be able to play the beta.

edit; GT = Mayyhem

2San

EazyB said:
This bloom adds too much randomness in the gunplay for my liking and adds more frustration than fun or skill.
Isn't that the point though? It's not a sniper rifle, it isn't made for long range kills. If you want a similar type of weapon with range just use the DMR.

ZayneH said:
Yupp

EDIT: just watched it. "Hurr, I'm a bird, your weapons are invalid" :lol :lol

Interesting timing with that video too. Earlier that day I had been thinking about a no weapons option for custom games in Reach, and wondering if there was a way to get rid of weapons in the Beta, to see if they have some sort of pose set up for that.

Obviously they do not. :lol

zumphry

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:
Interesting timing with that video too. Earlier that day I had been thinking about a no weapons option for custom games in Reach, and wondering if there was a way to get rid of weapons in the Beta, to see if they have some sort of pose set up for that.

Obviously they do not. :lol

I think they showed it in the second Beta Halo Mythbusters episode. It was the regular Sword pose without the sword.

Wish they'd put in more no weapon poses for machinima, or bring back the arms at your side like from Halo 1. Oh well.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
... but it didnt, what are you talking about!??

:lol :lol :lol

Is that bug actually something that always happens, ive used the banshee since but
too my dissapointment
I never managed to kill my battle bro in the same way, maybe no one else spawned on me "co op style".

I just saw that happen again 20 minutes ago!

Watching an elite spawning midair with a sword and dying on impact :lol :lol

Trasher

Louis Wu said:
It's not there as 'proof' - it's the data he put together. If you disagree with it, put together DIFFERENT data. (Bungie believes they made a mistake with the Halo 2 BR - it's why they added a shot spread to the Halo 3 BR. It seems silly to say "well, the Halo 2 BR has perfect accuracy, so clearly the Reach weapons should have that too" - why would Bungie go back to a model they considered broken?)

My biggest problem with the bloom argument is NOT whether you're more or less accurate with a given weapon than you were with that weapon's analogue in a different game... it's that folks are suggesting that the BLOOM is what's causing the inaccuracy, rather than it being what SHOWS the inaccuracy. Bungie could eliminate the bloom indicator, would that make you happy? You didn't seem to be unhappy with the Halo 3 BR - and it works exactly the same way, except without a visual indicator of the spread. If you space your Halo 3 BR shots, you will get a smaller spread - does that somehow mean that not spacing your shots makes you a 'trigger-spammer' or a noob?
I know this was a few pages back, but this part is ridiculous.

There is little to no bloom in Halo 3 with the BR. You never had to space your shots out in Halo 3 to 4-shot someone. Give me a break. And if there was bloom in Halo 3 (and yes I remember Bungie saying there was) then it is a million times more severe and apparent in Reach. I'm just not buying this whole "omg there was bloom in Halo 3 too guys why are you complaining" bullshit. Probably the only weapon in Halo 3 that was effected by bloom was the AR. Just by a LITTLE though. Not enough to make people aware of the mechanic that's for sure.

The bottom line is that Reach has a bloom that greatly effects the game, and Halo 3 doesn't. The blooms from each game DO NOT work exactly the same.

GhaleonEB

Trasher said:
I know this was a few pages back, but this part is ridiculous.

There is little to no bloom in Halo 3 with the BR. You never had to space your shots out in Halo 3 to 4-shot someone. Give me a break. And if there was bloom in Halo 3 (and yes I remember Bungie saying there was) then it is a million times more severe and apparent in Reach. I'm just not buying this whole "omg there was bloom in Halo 3 too guys why are you complaining" bullshit. Probably the only weapon in Halo 3 that was effected by bloom was the AR. Just by a LITTLE though. Not enough to make people aware of the mechanic that's for sure.

The bottom line is that Reach has a bloom that greatly effects the game, and Halo 3 doesn't. The blooms from each game DO NOT work exactly the same.
The way I think of it is, some Halo weapons have always had "bloom" (ie less accurate for sustained firing). The plasma rifle and AR are perfect examples of this. But along with providing that visual feedback, the concept has been expanded in its implementation for Reach. Certainly the DMR and sniper feature it in ways that are far in excess of their Halo 3 counterparts (if they had it at all). And they've also build the core combat design around that feature, as with the pistol and nerfle implementation. It's being emphasized in ways that are more than just visual; it existed before, but has gone beyond carrying that over and adding the visual feedback.

I suppose it could be a lot of perception, since it's visible now and wasn't before. But I've been trying to filter that out through the Beta and can't shake the feeling that many of the weapons really do behave differently now. The AR, somewhat ironically, has a much tighter spread than its Halo 3 counterpart.

Top Bottom