• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Wait - is there really not a way to edit a saved film in Theater mode? I can't even record a sub-clip of a saved film? I have a great "fun" moment to submit to the montage, but when I recorded it I didn't realize that it would leave the timeline in the middle of the frame. I didn't save the original game - is there really no way to fix it?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
divisionbyzorro said:
Wait - is there really not a way to edit a saved film in Theater mode? I can't even record a sub-clip of a saved film? I have a great "fun" moment to submit to the montage, but when I recorded it I didn't realize that it would leave the timeline in the middle of the frame. I didn't save the original game - is there really no way to fix it?

Go to where you want to start recording, start recording, stop recording.

Tada, trimmed to the part you want.

Was playing NT1 with a buddy earlier, we started as Elites, we're chatting away as we head up the hill when he suddenly gets crushed by one of the drop pods.

He immediately went silent in shock, the timing of it all killed me, I was pretty useless for the rest of the match. I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes after it happened, was pretty amazing. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
The way I think of it is, some Halo weapons have always had "bloom" (ie less accurate for sustained firing). The plasma rifle and AR are perfect examples of this. But along with providing that visual feedback, the concept has been expanded in its implementation for Reach. Certainly the DMR and sniper feature it in ways that are far in excess of their Halo 3 counterparts (if they had it at all). And they've also build the core combat design around that feature, as with the pistol and nerfle implementation. It's being emphasized in ways that are more than just visual; it existed before, but has gone beyond carrying that over and adding the visual feedback.

I suppose it could be a lot of perception, since it's visible now and wasn't before. But I've been trying to filter that out through the Beta and can't shake the feeling that many of the weapons really do behave differently now. The AR, somewhat ironically, has a much tighter spread than its Halo 3 counterpart.
I completely agree - the AR in the beta is a much more viable option than the H3 version. It could also be the sweet sweet sound it makes over the H3 version.

I bet it's far too late to implement now, but a way inside a game to get the game to save the film after the match ends would be great. I bet I forgot to save that video of me and the scorpion facing of behind the forcefield from earlier tonight and it would have been great to flag the match as needing to be saved before it carried on and I forgot anything cool happened.

Kibbles

Darkflight said:
I bet it's far too late to implement now, but a way inside a game to get the game to save the film after the match ends would be great. I bet I forgot to save that video of me and the scorpion facing of behind the forcefield from earlier tonight and it would have been great to flag the match as needing to be saved before it carried on and I forgot anything cool happened.
After a game, press start and go to history and you can save the match without even going into theater mode. Or are you saying you really just want something you can go to ingame to have it autosave at the end of the match?

Kibbles said:
After a game, press start and go to history and you can save the match without even going into theater mode. Or are you saying you really just want something you can go to ingame to have it autosave at the end of the match?
You can do this even while in a lobby with other peeps and you're not the host?

Kibbles

Major Williams said:
I believe so, yes. You can view screenshots, save previous games, etc. all while you are in the lobby waiting for the next game to pop up.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
Yes. You can even do it while in matchmaking search mode, and during the veto countdown of the next game.

And also, playing a new game doesn't clear the game history cache. I suspect that's because the Beta is installed to the HDD. But it was a nice surprise to find that after my daughter popped in a game, my history was still there so I could snag a film I'd forgotten to save locally.
divisionbyzorro said:
See, I tried that. The "start recording" button was disabled.
You can't make a clip out of a clip. I don't know why - there's probably some technical reason for it - but you couldn't in Halo 3, either.

Pennybags

Darkflight said:

I have that match saved. I can either put it up on my fileshare for you to download, or I can clip it for you. I know exactly what you are referring to because I just watched it. :D

Also, Corpse Bobbin'! It was somewhat hard to get a decent angle.

Gui_PT

Kibbles said:
I believe so, yes. You can view screenshots, save previous games, etc. all while you are in the lobby waiting for the next game to pop up.

I confirm this information

Pennybags said:

Did that not happen to you twice? I saw you landing on the second floor. I remember because I just stood there while being shot, looking at your body :lol

Pennybags

Gui_PT said:
Did that not happen to you twice? I saw you landing on the second floor. I remember because I just stood there while being shot, looking at your body :lol

I began the clip as soon as I died. Before that, I was abusing the jetpack-gravlift elevator pretty enthusiastically. :lol

Pennybags said:
I have that match saved. I can either put it up on my fileshare for you to download, or I can clip it for you. I know exactly what you are referring to because I just watched it. :D

That was incredible! :lol :lol :lol (also the sword base water looks phenominal in that clip).

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
That was incredible! :lol :lol :lol (also the sword base water looks phenominal in that clip).
That reminds me of a game from last week where a plasma grenade got caught in the lift for a good 2-3 minutes.

I saw it bobbing up and down, and then for the next few minutes (literally) looked out to see if it was still there, only to find, yup, it was. A little later I hear a plasma explosion, and there's a corpse near the lift. I think someone finally hopped on board and got an unpleasant surprise. Man I wish I'd saved it. Not sure how many games get saved in the History but I'll see if it's back there tonight.

GhaleonEB said:
Yes. You can even do it while in matchmaking search mode, and during the veto countdown of the next game.

And also, playing a new game doesn't clear the game history cache. I suspect that's because the Beta is installed to the HDD. But it was a nice surprise to find that after my daughter popped in a game, my history was still there so I could snag a film I'd forgotten to save locally.
Thanks buddy. We haven't played the beta yet together, even though I see you on. FWIW I've been busy being married, unpacking gift boxes, and moving her in. :D

Gui_PT

Y hallo thar!
2isxsab.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
The way I think of it is, some Halo weapons have always had "bloom" (ie less accurate for sustained firing). The plasma rifle and AR are perfect examples of this. But along with providing that visual feedback, the concept has been expanded in its implementation for Reach. Certainly the DMR and sniper feature it in ways that are far in excess of their Halo 3 counterparts (if they had it at all). And they've also build the core combat design around that feature, as with the pistol and nerfle implementation. It's being emphasized in ways that are more than just visual; it existed before, but has gone beyond carrying that over and adding the visual feedback.

I suppose it could be a lot of perception, since it's visible now and wasn't before. But I've been trying to filter that out through the Beta and can't shake the feeling that many of the weapons really do behave differently now. The AR, somewhat ironically, has a much tighter spread than its Halo 3 counterpart.

While bullet spread was in older games, bloom (or the exponential decrease in weapon accuracy based on RoF for people who wanna be technical) wasnt:

In Halo 3, each bullet from the Battle Rifle’s three-round burst is networked individually under the cases outlined above. Additionally, each bullet has a different margin of error, with the first round from the Battle Rifle being the most accurate of the three bullets. The first bullet can have an error between 0 and .15 degrees off of the true aiming vector. The third bullet is between 0 and 0.38 degrees, the second bullet falls somewhere between the first and third. It is a mistake to look at where the third bullet lands and assume all three bullets are that inaccurate. The outliers (0.15 on bullet 1 and 0.38 on bullet 3) are the absolute worst-case scenarios. In that context those numbers don’t mean a whole lot – but in the grand scheme thing of how the Battle Rifle operates, they are pretty meaningful.

- http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=14347

So, as ive been saying, the quote is saying that: with each successive shot that there is randomly generated velocity, this is seemingly* on a shot by shot basis, one shot doesnt affect the other, so according to the quote Rate of Fire has NO effect on the random velocity generation at ALL, they simply didnt code that in.

There is a randomly generated bullet spread, but it is in no way affected by RoF or any other factor.

* - well they havent discussed this, and that article is a break down of the BR spread, so you know, its something I would have expected to see in the article if it existed.

(P.s. Stole the quote from another forum).

GhaleonEB that sticky in lift situation reminded of an apparent bug, apparently if you hold the trigger on the pro pipe, but then swap it for another weapon, the thing blows up in the next users face? :lol

GhaleonEB said:
You can't make a clip out of a clip. I don't know why - there's probably some technical reason for it - but you couldn't in Halo 3, either.

Dammit! I guess there's no point submitting the film to the montage. There's not an option to "Render with no HUD," is there?

On the subject of clips, can anyone explain to me what actually happened here? We're playing SvE on Powerhouse. From my point of view, I get attacked by two dudes, toss a grenade, and jump off a bridge while the grenade explodes behind them. They keep coming across the bridge, engaging my buddies behind me, while I peg them with my DMR from below. All of a sudden, DOUBLE KILL!

I don't get it. So I watch the film. Just before my double kill, one of them accidentally sticks the other. It looks almost like my DMR bullet hits the plasma grenade, but not quite. So what happened?

1) Did I get a lucky shot on the plasma grenade, thus crediting me with the double kill?
2) Or because I was the last guy to damage them, did the game gave me a double kill rather than giving a betrayal-suicide?
3) Or did something else happen?

I clipped out a couple views of it; they're not rendered, but they're about 10 seconds each:

From my POV: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1378318
Floating camera view: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1378341

Kibbles said:
This, so I can't forget that the match had something worth saving it for.

divisionbyzorro said:
Dammit! I guess there's no point submitting the film to the montage. There's not an option to "Render with no HUD," is there?

On the subject of clips, can anyone explain to me what actually happened here? We're playing SvE on Powerhouse. From my point of view, I get attacked by two dudes, toss a grenade, and jump off a bridge while the grenade explodes behind them. They keep coming across the bridge, engaging my buddies behind me, while I peg them with my DMR from below. All of a sudden, DOUBLE KILL!

I don't get it. So I watch the film. Just before my double kill, one of them accidentally sticks the other. It looks almost like my DMR bullet hits the plasma grenade, but not quite. So what happened?

1) Did I get a lucky shot on the plasma grenade, thus crediting me with the double kill?
2) Or because I was the last guy to damage them, did the game gave me a double kill rather than giving a betrayal-suicide?
3) Or did something else happen?

I clipped out a couple views of it; they're not rendered, but they're about 10 seconds each:

Floating camera view: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1378341
I don't know if it's this way in Reach but in Halo 3 you just had to press B a few times until it went away.

AwesomeSyrup said:
I don't know if it's this way in Reach but in Halo 3 you just had to press B a few times until it went away.

Yeah - I know what I should have done when I made the clip. I'm curious if I beg for a render, can the guy who renders it choose to render it without HUD? Or is he stuck with exactly what I give him?

Pennybags said:
Edit: Rendered both of your videos, Zorro.

'Preciate it. So...I'll ask my n00b question again - why did I get the double kill for that?

Ramirez

Trasher said:
I know this was a few pages back, but this part is ridiculous.

There is little to no bloom in Halo 3 with the BR. You never had to space your shots out in Halo 3 to 4-shot someone. Give me a break. And if there was bloom in Halo 3 (and yes I remember Bungie saying there was) then it is a million times more severe and apparent in Reach. I'm just not buying this whole "omg there was bloom in Halo 3 too guys why are you complaining" bullshit. Probably the only weapon in Halo 3 that was effected by bloom was the AR. Just by a LITTLE though. Not enough to make people aware of the mechanic that's for sure.

The bottom line is that Reach has a bloom that greatly effects the game, and Halo 3 doesn't. The blooms from each game DO NOT work exactly the same.

Pretty sure he's better with a BR than you, I trust him.

Pennybags

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah - I know what I should have done when I made the clip. I'm curious if I beg for a render, can the guy who renders it choose to render it without HUD? Or is he stuck with exactly what I give him?

Nope. The person who renders has no HUD options.

Regarding your video, I'd say that because you were shooting the guy who died from the friendly grenade, the other person did not receive a betrayal. Because of that, the kills were instead transferred to you.

Similar to having an enemy kill himself while you receive the credit.

Pennybags said:
Nope. The person who renders has no HUD options.

Regarding your video, I'd say that because you were shooting the guy who died from the friendly grenade, the other person did not receive a betrayal. Because of that, the kills were instead transferred to you.

Similar to having an enemy kill himself while you receive the credit.

That's kinda what I've been thinking. It took me a while to see that the thing that actually kills them is their own plasma grenade; I just couldn't figure out why the game thought that I should get credit for the kills.

I like bloom. I also like to melee... shabadawhaaaaaaaaa???

Seriously though, it does not make sense in the canon side of things to have better weapons now than they did in Halo 3 :p The UNSC were teh prototyping!

Lazslo

Hydranockz said:
I like bloom. I also like to melee
I wouldn't say I enjoy the bloom, I would say I don't mind it. It kinda adds the "tough shit" rule to Reach. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't. I think in the end, it all evens out. As for the Melee system, I really enjoy learning the new aspects to the model, it's fun learning what to do in different situation; when to melee and when not too, and when a games fun it did it's job.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
That reminds me of a game from last week where a plasma grenade got caught in the lift for a good 2-3 minutes.

I saw it bobbing up and down, and then for the next few minutes (literally) looked out to see if it was still there, only to find, yup, it was. A little later I hear a plasma explosion, and there's a corpse near the lift. I think someone finally hopped on board and got an unpleasant surprise. Man I wish I'd saved it. Not sure how many games get saved in the History but I'll see if it's back there tonight.
Jump to about the 6 minute mark of this film - 3 minutes, 34 seconds of bobbing. :)

vhfive

Ssparks said:
I wouldn't say I enjoy the bloom, I would say I don't mind it. It kinda adds the "tough shit" rule to Reach. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't. I think in the end, it all evens out. As for the Melee system, I really enjoy learning the new aspects to the model, it's fun learning what to do in different situation; when to melee and when not too, and when a games fun it did it's job.
I like the new melee system of only killing a guy once his shields pop but the double melee bullshit needs to go. It's way to fast right now.

GhaleonEB

vhfive said:
I like the new melee system of only killing a guy once his shields pop but the double melee bullshit needs to go. It's way to fast right now.
Per the update, it's going. When I really laid into the melee system a week ago or so, I said I hated both the double melee and the shield/health delimiter, but I though the double melee was more egregious. I'll settle for having my biggest issue fixed.

Wu: :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Somethings up with the melee detection. I had a run guy up on me and I melee'd before he got to me, it missed by a mile. Then he melee'd me and it traded. I finished the kill.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Tashi0106 said:
Somethings up with the melee detection. I had a run guy up on me and I melee'd before he got to me, it missed by a mile. Then he melee'd me and it traded. I finished the kill.
Yeah, that's happened to me a bunch.

big ander

DeadFalling said:
Man, I hope they have a shit-ton more assassination animations for fall. The ones they had got really really old for me.
I've also been disappointed by assassinations. Maybe I just didn't find the coolest ones, but I could rarely get them to work and when they did they did not end well. They're not necessarily uncool, but they're not as astounding as I thought they'd be.

Lazslo

Whoa, I just noticed that this clip of mine- next to the option to download locally to your computer, it has another option to watch on youtube. Does anyone know how this happened or how to get other videos this option?

big ander

Ssparks said:
Whoa, I just noticed that this clip of mine- next to the option to download locally to your computer, it has another option to watch on youtube. Does anyone know how this happened or how to get other videos this option?
I believe it was added on for all rendered videos.

soldat7

Not sure if I'll get around to playing anymore of the beta (Red Dead Redemption doods), but I'll go ahead and give my shocking review just in case:

A+

Bungie has given us a taste of something amazing. They've managed to bring more skill and finesse into Halo and make it more exciting at the same time. It's going to be hard going back to Halo 3. I'm absolutely stoked for the Fall
of Reach!

Bungie, you are Real Men of Genius.

soldat7 said:
Not sure if I'll get around to playing anymore of the beta (Red Dead Redemption doods), but I'll go ahead and give my shocking review just in case:

A+

Bungie has given us a taste of something amazing. They've managed to bring more skill and finesse into Halo and make it more exciting at the same time. It's going to be hard going back to Halo 3. I'm absolutely stoked for the Fall
of Reach!

Bungie, you are Real Men of Genius.
I fully support/endorse this product and/or service.

Top Bottom